Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 29, 2009 1:00 AM

May 2009
tehnominator said:

So who knows what the future has in store for everyone? This was only a look into one year of these people's lives, after all. They have their whole lives ahead of them. The point of this anime was to show you that there isn't only one be all and end all solution.

I just wanted to say that I completely agree with you. Aoi Hana the anime shows us just a small glimpse into their lives. The open ending shows that Akira and Fumi's lives will go on.
Sep 29, 2009 2:15 PM

Jun 2008
Nice episode, but not very fitting as the ending one (especially the OP of all eps. made some more a-chan vs. fumi promises then it kept). Hope they redeem it with a second season. Overall a very charming anime though.
Oct 6, 2009 11:00 AM

May 2009
Good anime, I really enjoyed it. The ending was beautiful! Well.. every episode was beautiful, really.
Oct 6, 2009 8:25 PM

Jan 2008
I was completely touched by the ending of this show.

I was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed this, all I can describe it as is beautiful. I don't normally watch shoujo-ai oriented anime since it's just not really my thing, and in fact I started this by accident not knowing it was within that genre.

I'm really glad I did though, because this was simply a lovely and beautiful anime.
Oct 7, 2009 10:56 PM

Mar 2008
I loved the ending. For the short time they had and considering it is a more open end (though we know for sure to where they are headed) it was done very well. Very beautiful.

Actually that art style was one of the most impressing and beautiful ones I have seen in recent days. Music was also very good. Considering the atmosphere this was a top anime with realistic behaviour for once. You just can't find something negative, other than some episodes having some more boring and very trivial slice & life type plot.

All in all I still go with a borderline 9/10.
Oct 8, 2009 7:54 AM

Aug 2007
Loved the ending, At first I thought this anime was a little too slow pace for me, but then I figured out that the pacing was perfect. I was never bored through out the whole story.

I almost cried a little bit when Fumi remembers who her first love is.
all in all, great series.

8/10
Oct 8, 2009 11:26 AM

Oct 2009
At first I didn't really like this anime, but episode after episode I started to like it more and more. The ending was beautiful, it touched me. I'm really glad I watched this anime though at first I was pretty sceptic. In the end I had to change my mind ^^
Oct 9, 2009 11:03 PM

Dec 2007
Nice, enjoyable ending and I liked it. But, I felt that series didn't grab my attention enough. Fumi x Ai-chan is decent pairing.
Oct 13, 2009 10:52 PM

Apr 2009
Easily on the top of the season (though Bakemonogatari remains ridiculously close despite not always being able to live up to its ambition).

Sweet, cute, and remarkably honest.
Oooh Miss Alicia
It's our own secret garden
Lesbians at war
Dec 1, 2009 6:20 AM

May 2008
not bad for an ending

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jan 31, 2010 10:59 PM

Nov 2009
the opening to this show is blatant false advertising XD

still a very enjoyable series.
Apr 19, 2010 7:39 AM

Aug 2007
i decided to type what i think of this episode as i see it :P

00:00 so a start to the winter uniforms eh, might be indicative of a second season taking place in the wintertime as this is the last episode? have to wait and see...

00:30 this OP is so awesome, i liked it so much i learnt the words from sitting through it eleven god damn times already, and it never gets old. i love the way the piano cuts into the scene just at the right time.

02:09 i see "aa-chan" is still a shithead to her bro :P oh well little sisters can be like that i've heard

02:34 that train always looks so cool and well animated coming around the corner, maybe that's why they used it so many times :) seriously though, i think the background animation is pretty nice in this animu overall

03:15 those two little girls look like those clown faces at the festival you feed balls for prizes. yep, thats what went through my mind when i saw them. and in my high school days my locker was way bigger than that thing, lol

04:16 and 04:29 i thought these little reminders of her first moment with her senpai were pretty cool

4:55 holy shit i almost fell off my chair, that's probably the funniest thing i've seen in this entire anime! (the holding the nose impersonating the librarian gig)

06:06 the hell does kyouko need art lessons for? look at that birch tree painting and now this dandy charcoal work, girl has serious talent. also kazusa's english is absolutely shocking

06:40 oooh where's sugimoto going? maybe they said it before, i probably missed it. im sure it'll be mentioned later? fumi meeting her at the train station looked pleasantly awkward as well :)

08:45 alrighty then, random music time with a basketball montage!

09:09 ooooh, London it was...obviously she hasn't been to London before otherwise she'd be staying in Japan :P

10:48 nawwww she still has feelings for chizu. for someome who just last episode bravely said a woman needs to move on, she has her own skeletons and i imagine if theres a next season she'll be going to visit her "first love" so to speak

11:25 that phone scene was done well i reckon, also why does "onari way" sound like bad engrish? :P

11:35 SANTA IS HUMPING THAT POLE

12:22 if i had a dollar for every scene in a romance anime that has a person sneaking behind two people on a "deito"...

13:10 "i just remembered i have something to take care of in this neighbourhood" sounds like something a mob boss would say. that was pretty cool

14:22: so THAT'S what the present was for. christmas! man if i walked around the corner like that and someone fired off party poppers i'd poop a little.

15:15 ambient noises downstairs are done really well :)

17:45 woah, nice job to..uh..pon...chan? on the last minute letter, guess she showed em all how it's done in the end :D

18:31 woooow, that snowfall animation looks awesome. the art is definitely a strong point of this series. that's the credit roll so i guess this is the finish

20:01 nope, not yet. another thing to note is the dialog of this series. its really well done (at least the aa-chan/fumi exchanges) in my opinion although i won't profess to know the ins and outs of japanese dialect. i guess it just sounds natural

21:00 good rugby tackle in my opinion, they even got the latent homosexuality right.

22:29 aww she realised it in the end. that was nice and although it was cut a bit short, i liked this series as a whole. 8 out of 10 from me

Jon
May 26, 2010 6:16 PM

Jan 2010
i liked the hole anime but this end disappointed me a lot, wasn't what i was expecting, though D:
9/10 :3
Jun 6, 2010 1:33 PM

Jul 2009
The hole anime? Never heard of it, tell me more!
Aug 1, 2010 3:24 AM

Mar 2010
Hahhha oke first of all it was so funny to see how Motegi gave the brother of Achan that gift XD And then the reaction of their parents.. pf that made me laugh..

oke but uhm.. yeah I liked this anime alot. Normally I don't watch much shoujo ai (this is my third time watching it..) but because of this anime I'm gonna do that more.
I wish there was a season 2. I wanna know how things end up with everyone..
Aug 21, 2010 12:16 PM

Jun 2009
the best Yuri anime that I've ever seen...-even Maria+Holic can't beat this one XD-
and I really love the animation art

but, few things make me feel disappointed...
1. Kyoko and Kou
first time when Kou appeared, I was thinking he is kind of a jerk fiance or something but I'm wrong -sorry about that-. actually he is really nice. how stupid Kyoko never give him a chance -I mean she never trying to respond his feeling, that's what I got about their relationship-
2. Fumi and A-chan
Need more their romance scene!!!
Nov 25, 2010 10:29 PM

Jul 2008
IZUMI64 said:
the best Yuri anime that I've ever seen...-even Maria+Holic can't beat this one XD-

Ugh I would never compare this series to Maria Holic. At all.

Anyways, I thought it was great. Easy 9/10. I wish there was more, but I guess that is what the manga is for.
Dec 27, 2010 8:04 AM

Apr 2010
It's sad to know there won't be a second season *tear*, that was too fast, might as well read the manga.

This was such a sweet anime, my first shoujo-ai, I don't know if I want to watch any other shoujo-ai anime because I might feel disappointed, this is too cute~, much better than I expected.

I'm giving it a 8/10.

Jan 20, 2011 5:32 PM
Dec 2010
i wish i had a childhood love.... :(
Mar 28, 2011 12:49 AM

Mar 2009
The ending was unsatisfying for me. It felt a little abrupt.
May 29, 2011 12:11 PM

Feb 2011
It ends! why did it ends?! mhhhpp..

Best episode akari and Fumi moment was the best part ever I couldn't get enough.
Dec 31, 2011 11:00 PM
Jul 2018
I never found the series a big deal... but now that it's over, I kinda wanna see more... :( Manga here I go
Mar 6, 2012 8:55 PM

Feb 2012
I said I wasn't going to cry!

... but I did anyway! Damn, what a fabulous story. You can guarantee I will read the manga!
Mar 30, 2012 11:11 PM

Nov 2011
Honestly, this was the best anime ending I've seen. It was so perfect- Not everything has to end with a couple getting together, although I recomend you all go read the manga (it's still going). But the anime just had a perfect, beautiful ending that really fit the tone of the series and was fairly unexpected.
May 19, 2012 11:36 PM

Nov 2011
Mixed feelings with my overall thought of the series. Let's just say that I didn't enjoy it as much as some people did.

5/10.
Sep 7, 2012 11:36 PM

Jun 2012
I liked the anime. It was so cuuute! I would like to see the next season, but im afraid, there won´t be any... T.T
I´ve read the manga and I´d just love to see how relationships between Fumi-chan und Aa-chan develop...

And for all who liked the anime- read the manga. It´s accually the same (the fist ... 15 chapters?) but in contrast to anime it´s ongoing!
Just pick it up!
I´m not a native english speaker and I´ve always got bad notes in English, so please, deal with my mistakes try to correct them in your thoughts during reading.

Example:
What´s written:
My inglish have newer be gut
what you read:
My english has never been good.

Hope you got it :P

"You cannot change fate. However, you can rise to meet it, if you so choose"
Jun 16, 2013 9:18 AM

Feb 2010
What is friendship?
What is love?
Is the latter necessary better than the former?
Is it the best for Fumi and Akira to become a couple?

This anime is so beautiful...

*Continue to read the manga*
YangbojianDec 3, 2013 2:50 AM
Nov 11, 2013 8:22 PM
Nov 2013
After watching Aoi Hana, I realized I should lay off the Shoujo Ai genre. I can't stand these wimpy ass girls.
Dec 18, 2013 4:24 PM

Jan 2009
i felt like i got robbed watching this series. overall i give it a 3/10 and here's why:

1). Fumi x Akira NEVER HAPPENED AT ALL. I fell in love with the opening song, especially the parts where Fumi x Akira are dancing with the flowers & both are bare-skin. It was so dazzling and mesmerizing to watch them dance inside that flower garden & flower tornado. And when Akira drops those flowers gently on Fumi's cheeks...the way they looked at each other (especially how Akira looked at Fumi)... it was so mature and beautiful to watch that it made me wish I could look at someone the same way and have someone return those feelings. You can easily tell that they're really in love.

This feeling is what I got from having watched the opening of Episode 1. Around episode 5, I could tell that Fumi x Akira doesn't even look like it will happen because the series kept focusing too much on the other characters. At episode 8, my heart sank even further because there were only 3 episodes left and there's no way a deep bond can be formed with Fumi x Akira in that time span.
& in the final minutes of episode 11, we see a glimpse of Fumi x Akira starting to form but then the series just ends right there. I was left saddened and angry that I couldn't get to see the deep bond that was portrayed between the Fumi x Akira in the opening.

2). Felt like Yasuko x Kyouko were the main characters in this series. It was obvious from the opening that Fumi x Yasuko would end so I didn't care much for Yasuko so much. But it seemed like Yasuko and Kyouko were shown more often than the 2 main leads Fumi and Akira. I started caring more about how Kyouko can't receive the love of Yasuko. & Yasuko who can't receive the love of her teacher. Yasuko x Kyouko weren't even the 'main main' characters. Because of this, Fumi x Akira never got to fully take form.

3. The pace was agonizingly slow. It took forever for something significant to happen. It was like watching baseball, hockey or soccer. Each of those games last like 3-4 hours and you have to wait like 1 hour before a goal is scored. sometimes the games end in a draw of 0-0, which means like u wasted 4 hours watching a 'no-score-nothing-happened' game.

Anyways, I think about around episode 7, where Yasuko introduces Fumi to her family, was when I finally got hooked on the show because Yasuko reveals that she's going out with Fumi; thus declaring her sexual orientation. It was sad to finally get attached to the series starting around the 2nd half. but i knew coming into the series that the genre revolved around Yuri, drama and romance and that the opening was good. Those 4 aspects are what helped me endure.

-----------------------------

well, all in all, i did enjoy the series somewhat despite the reasons stated above. I wanted to know the bond of Fumi x Akira that was shown in the opening. I could never feel the closeness of those 2 anywhere in the episodes. & the fact that this didn't happen at all in the series... that just left me empty inside.
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jun 19, 2014 1:56 AM

Apr 2012
Perfect pacing
Realistic characters
Nothing was overly melodramatic.
I was pleasantly surprised because this is the first time I've seen an anime touch on the subject of coming out.
Would love to see more development between Achan and Fumi but it was a 11 episode series so I think they squeezed in as much as they can. This was a very easy watch. I managed to finish it in one sitting. I thought there would be more drama between Fumi and Sugimoto since she said she wasn't completely over her. I was very satisfied with the ending and might consider picking up the manga to see how this all transpires.

9/10

Jul 27, 2014 1:54 AM

Mar 2013
My god, that fucking cliffhanger ending.

Still a good show 7/10
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 5, 2014 11:40 PM
Oct 2013
it was good but correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Fumi first love always Ai-chan and she 'knew it'. I thought the reason she dated her cousin was she knew was lesbian but didn't think Ai-chan would lover her that way so she tried to move on. Either good anime but wish for a second season because that's where the story really gets good
“How strange and foolish is man. He loses his health in gaining wealth. Then, to regain his health he wastes his wealth. He ruins his present while worrying about his future, but weeps in the future by recalling his past. He lives as though death shall never come to him, but dies in a way as if he were never born”
― Imam Ali as
Aug 16, 2014 12:16 AM

Jan 2008
I was so ready to give this anime a 8 but fell really short in the last couple of mins when as the ending got closer they still hadnt even kissed or even told each other how they felt n then Fumi realized how she felt n that a-chan was her first love n still in the end didnt say anything i was very disappointing in my opinion it was an 8 all the way up until the last moments i am sad to give it a 4 but that is how i felt about the anime in the end sorry Aoi Hana but not a fan in the end if they had gotten together even without a kiss i could have given it the 8 but nothing like that happened so in the end its a 4 maybe after thinking on it a couple of days i might change it to at least a 6 but i was just to disappointed to give it anything higher then that.
Aug 20, 2014 9:27 AM

Nov 2011
ooooooooohhhhh mmmaaaaaaaannnn

Good riddens to that Sugimoto fuck. Only with her out of the picture can the show be Aoi Hana again. And I'm glad that it became Aoi Hana once more (or maybe it always has been Aoi Hana).

MAAAAAAN THE SCENERIES. THE SNOW, MAN. THE SNOW. It was so real and natural, both the appearance and the movements of each doggamned snow flake. What a NIIIIIIICE and cosy atmosphere. It was a delight to see the past sites shown enveloped in snow. Why can't the entire world experience this too? Fucking axis.

Hooray for Motegi! I like that girl too. SHE'S REALLY CUTE, what with Ohana hair and her personality. She deserves/d more screen time.

But well, that's that. The end. And the way they ended, my freaking Satanic Heaven, that was sooooo sweeeeeeeet and niiiiiiiiiice and BAWWWWWWWWW.

NO NEED TO KISS! A-chan's kiddy character is aaaall good. Hooray for girls with orange hair and pigtails! (Kinomoto Sakura, Sakura Mikan, Okudaira Akira) (man her name should have had "Sakura" in it too. ALL orange-haired girls with pigtails should)
zetsu_shorenAug 20, 2014 9:40 AM
Jan 10, 2015 7:41 PM

Jul 2012
I really like the relationship between Fumi and Akira. I thought they would get together but it was great seeing Akira support Fumi as a friend. The gentle OST and pastel artwork added to the cozy feeling.

Sugimoto and Fumi was...eh, I couldn't invest in their relationship nor feel much for the drama between and around them. Maybe because I can't relate I suppose.

Aoi hana was my first mature yuri anime and though I still prefer seeing yuri as a secondary element such as in most CGDCT, I enjoyed this too.
Feb 6, 2015 6:32 PM

Jul 2012
This was my first Shoujo-ai anime. (Even if I've read GL manga, I haven't read a good one yet)

It was pretty good. I think it's too much of an open ending to consider the entire thing above a 7/10 level.

The highlights of this show is the complex love polygon going on between several characters, the acoustic and soft OST, pastel watercolour art and fluid animation.

My main complaint was that Sugimoto's character design. Even short haired Kyouko looked like a girl but I kept on mistaking Sugimoto as a guy because of how neutral she looks. I also felt like it was unnecessary to make Sugimoto a girl because it would have been more interesting if she was a guy who was in love with his sister's boyfriend. Then we could have more ambiguity with the other characters instead of just "everyone's a lesbian"

Also, the supposedly main couple (aka our childhood friends) don't feel romantic at all. I can't help but see it completely platonic, even at the end.

Gonna read the manga now.

Good stuff. Really.

Valeria-chan said:
I was so ready to give this anime a 8 but fell really short in the last couple of mins when as the ending got closer they still hadnt even kissed or even told each other how they felt n then Fumi realized how she felt n that a-chan was her first love n still in the end didnt say anything i was very disappointing in my opinion it was an 8 all the way up until the last moments i am sad to give it a 4 but that is how i felt about the anime in the end sorry Aoi Hana but not a fan in the end if they had gotten together even without a kiss i could have given it the 8 but nothing like that happened so in the end its a 4 maybe after thinking on it a couple of days i might change it to at least a 6 but i was just to disappointed to give it anything higher then that.

What the heck?! lmfao
Feb 21, 2015 8:48 AM

Dec 2012
And with the passage of time, everyone is carrying on in their own ways. Oh ho ho, Motegi is a bold one! That was really cute when she ran back to give A-chan's brother the letter. I love the ending, that was absolutely perfect and it helps compliment it that it was snowing here during that scene with A-chan and Fumi at the school. I particularly liked the touch at the end with Fumi realizing that her first love wasn't her cousin Chizu, but A-chan who had been there for her all along.

This has definitely turned out to be a treat and makes me feel silly for leaving this to collect dust on my PTW list for ages. Aoi Hana excels at fleshing out its characters and their various relationships with more showing rather than telling. This is probably the most maturely handled take on girls love I've seen in anime. Even though the shoujo-ai had a strong presence, it wasn't the main focus and served as a road for the characters to explore and find themselves with. It reminds me of how Hourou Musuko handled the subject of gender identity, never embellishing or exaggerating the topic and keeping it down to Earth. It's a good sign when I can relate to girls falling in love with each other despite being a heterosexual man.

Also similarly to Hourou Musuko, I loved the artistic style and felt it was able to capture the lighthearted but profound story this had to tell.

9/10, I'll be reading the manga without a doubt.
Oct 13, 2015 6:09 PM

Dec 2013
I actually like this one. Mainly because of Akira and his oniichan, Kou chan and Pon chan and company. IDKW but for some reason I think Kou chan and Akira look good together.

of course I would like to have a second season

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 6, 2016 6:47 PM

Jan 2014
Nice ending. Decent show overall.
Jan 6, 2017 7:06 PM

Jul 2015
well time to read the manga now.
Feb 3, 2017 7:14 PM

Oct 2016
yeah pretty much I stopped on this project a long time ago because whispered words was way better. let's not forget citrus and girlfriends. this just doesn't compare.
Feb 6, 2017 7:09 PM
Jul 2018
So I spent the most of the show wondering "Oh boy, can't wait for Akira to get some development! Surely she will get her time to shine because she's in the cover!", but she never does.

What the hell was the point of Akira apart from just being there?

It completely focuses on Fumi and while I have no problem with it, the reltionship between her and Sugimoto just takes most of the time from the anime which leaves Akira to be a supporting third wheel. Speaking of Sugimoto, she gets more development than Akira too, which is just annoying as all hell.

I liked this show, but it was actually so frustrating to watch at times, I hope the manga has some actual closure.

6/10
removed-userFeb 6, 2017 7:13 PM
Apr 6, 2017 9:24 AM
Jan 2012
I was hoping for more development for Akira, too, but turns out the story is mostly about Fumi, with other characters supporting her.

That is fine, I guess. I enjoyed the ride.
Apr 15, 2017 7:30 AM

Jun 2013
I'm satisfied with this ending, as I think I managed my expectations correctly. Plus winter episodes are always cute. It showed a little bit of the aftermath from everyone's perspective, and Fumi showed a little extra maturity this time.

I might pick up the manga at some point; I'll put it on the list, for now.
May 29, 2017 8:47 AM
Mar 2015
Simply amazing Able to capture the emotions that the manga does not. Too bad we will never see Ahchan and Fumi's love story play out
Jun 11, 2017 1:18 PM

Mar 2017
This anime is the first that made me feel like I was in a deep sleep, dreaming about this little secret world of mine where there are many girls like me, in a way that I was free to say what I wanted to say, to feel what I wanted to feel, and to be with who I wanted to be with; without worrying the socially constructed norms and values that we usually refer to as "normal". If possible, I would've never wanted to wake up.

This will forever be put in a special place in my heart.
Jul 10, 2017 10:05 PM

Mar 2012
i think that calling this shoujo ai or yuri is a bit misleading, as this is mainly a story about a friendship, but it is a very sweet anime overall...
i really liked how they handles the relationships, not making this a fanservice or an anime L word and keeping the innocence of the high school girls and their relationships. it was nice and fresh to see them not put everyone ending up with boyfriends as if being in love with a girl is just a phase.
this is a simple and uneventful, but truthful portrait of relationships between girls and i appreciate it for what it is.
Jul 18, 2017 7:36 PM
Apr 2017
This episode pissed me off. I waited and all that build up and for what? Them to hold hands at the end. It's a great anime don't get me wrong but I really wanted to see them kiss as she found out her first true love. I wanted her to tell her she was her first love and then pick her up and kiss her. So much more could have been done but they walked away holding hands instead and it pissed me off. Great anime though.
Jul 24, 2017 9:40 AM
Jun 2014
lPikah said:
This episode pissed me off. I waited and all that build up and for what? Them to hold hands at the end. It's a great anime don't get me wrong but I really wanted to see them kiss as she found out her first true love. I wanted her to tell her she was her first love and then pick her up and kiss her. So much more could have been done but they walked away holding hands instead and it pissed me off. Great anime though.

I think the same dude!!!!
Jul 24, 2017 2:54 PM
Apr 2017
rubke1 said:
lPikah said:

I think the same dude!!!!

It really upset me. I was so pissed.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRLX69 - Jul 1, 2009

129 by hagukoko »»
Mar 14, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Aug 12, 2009

65 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 6, 6:23 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireReaverX - Jul 15, 2009

74 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 5, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - Jul 8, 2009

80 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:06 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Sep 2, 2009

56 by Destroyer31 »»
Jun 10, 2023 10:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.