Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 5, 2014 2:56 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Started off kinda slow but I'm kinda digging this. Well, Matsutarou constantly day dreams about his dream girl. I don't blame him though since she looks pretty in that yukata. Anyways, funny start so far imo.

Oh God, that car ride is awkward. It's so packed in there lmao not to mention they get crash into a house..

Still, this was kinda funny in an hyper way. The MC pisses me off for some reason.
KinetaApr 13, 2014 11:42 AM
Apr 5, 2014 4:39 PM

Jul 2010
Wow, that main character nothing likable about him at all.

Edit: Also nothing about sumo wrestling so far.
inzijniaApr 5, 2014 4:43 PM
Apr 5, 2014 4:55 PM

May 2010
wooow the OP...weird as fuck.

thats all i got for now. just started ^^
Apr 5, 2014 5:01 PM

Mar 2008
He's a lousy sack of shit, but since this is based off of a work by Tetsuya Chiba, I'm expecting him to get what's for and become a decent guy. Joe was this frustrating at first, too, and boxing didn't become a big part of that story until a little was in.
Nothing
Apr 5, 2014 5:02 PM

Mar 2008
Kerozinn said:

That's Japanese folk music for you.
Nothing
Apr 5, 2014 5:10 PM

Feb 2008
mosaic said:
It'll be a pretty slow paced anime, as we can see it already, nothing really happened in this episode. Hopefully there will be some sumo wrestling next week, or not.

Haha I doubt it. If the pacing is anything like Ashita no Joe, we won't get sumo any time soon.

It was alright. Toei budget at it's finest. Masutarou was interesting and can't for the story to kick in, since this was just the introduction episode. The second half was kinda weird with that truck.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 5, 2014 5:20 PM

May 2010
GVman said:
Kerozinn said:

That's Japanese folk music for you.

music + visuals together made it weird .

i kinda liked this episode..tho i dont know exactly why. im probably just curious where this might go.
Apr 5, 2014 5:26 PM

May 2013
This was surprisingly funny. Didn't like the way the MC was treating everyone, but he was pretty funny too.
Apr 5, 2014 5:33 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Stark700 said:
...The MC pisses me off for some reason.

Didn't like him at all. Don't know if I will get to finish this.
Animation reminded me of old times, so it didn't suck that much.
Won't expect much of the story.

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Apr 5, 2014 5:52 PM

Jul 2009
There wasn't any sumo and the MC is a rapist. Disgusting.
Apr 5, 2014 6:06 PM
Nov 2012
Let's see what we've got here: Cheating on a test, throwing water on old women, stealing candy from a baby, almost running the baby over, stealing lunches, attempted sexual assault on a passed out woman, stealing a truck, beating up a man, and destroying a ton of property.

Wow, that MC is a piece of work. I'll give this show a few episodes because obviously he'll (hopefully soon) begin some form of redemption but this episode wasn't doing it for me.
Apr 5, 2014 6:09 PM

Jan 2014
What an asshole.
Weird opening.
I think I'll continue to watch it, just to see where this leads to.
Apr 5, 2014 6:56 PM

Sep 2012
meatycheesyboy said:
Let's see what we've got here: Cheating on a test, throwing water on old women, stealing candy from a baby, almost running the baby over...
He did run the baby over. Lucky for him, he had enough ground clearance that he missed it, though I'm not sure the differential would have cleared... (yeah, reality in a show like this).

And yet... and yet... as unlikable as he is and as (careful what you wish for) old skool as the character designs and animation are ... there is something likeable about it. For all that I was about ready to turn it off during the OP, after lasting through the episode which doesn't seem to have an ED, I may watch the next one.

I'm a big sumo fan. I can see why this guy might be good at sumo, he is built like that truck himself but there is a lot more to sumo than that. We do see him doing some in the OP including... dohyo iri? Hmm... that's some foreshadowing for sure if I'm right.

But they showed her (Reiko I think) on the dohyo too and that's a big no-no. Women are not allowed on the dohyo. More reality... ah well.
Apr 5, 2014 9:37 PM

Aug 2013
This was odd, lol... I will keep watching though.
Apr 5, 2014 10:10 PM

Jul 2013
He has the voice of a goddess.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2014 10:12 PM

Mar 2013
Ohhh my God, I love it. Was this anime written for me? Was it? This is my new favourite and I would like 20. Matsu is cute, in a jerky back of the class bully way, and I frankly thought this was hilarious. I'm sooo excited for next week.
Apr 5, 2014 11:06 PM

Jul 2012
Not bad so far but MC is such a dick.
Apr 5, 2014 11:29 PM

Feb 2012
What a total asshat lol im really digging this MC, but wtf yo! you baby brother and silbings could have been killed along with all those women... I'd like to see what he moms doing... Karma Matsu will get whats coming.... the voice of the teacher in the op totally creeped me out but the Voice was different lol
Apr 6, 2014 2:45 AM

Feb 2011
That was really fun, despite the MC being a total asshead.
Also, I thought his voice actor sounded a bit stale.

The animation is a bit awkward but I'll probably get used to it, but the art is really old school and just great to look at.

Also, was that Issei Futamata as the teacher?
Apr 6, 2014 2:54 AM
Mar 2012
I really like the OP. But lol, of course after all that Matsutaro would get arrested. I felt sorry for Minami-sensei.
Apr 6, 2014 5:04 AM

Jun 2013
I have no idea what made me want to watch this but it's not bad so far. Our main character though... He's very unlikable. A bit funny but he's a huge jerk!
My signature is lame...
Apr 6, 2014 5:55 AM

Feb 2014
That was bad. Real bad. I'm hating the main character. He's too much of an assclown. And not the cool kind. He's just a big bully, even to his family. I thought this would be some kind of Sports Ganbatte, guess I was wrong.
Just sit back, and let your tears do the talking as I save you.
Apr 6, 2014 7:57 AM

Jun 2012
That MC really is something else but I like him in comparison to the usual MCs we get nowadays.

That opening tho. And the "old-style" animation, leave it to Toei to get it done.
Tutturu ~
Apr 6, 2014 8:08 AM

Apr 2009
I don't know what you've got against the MC. He is a dick, an asshole, his portrayal is rather stereotypical... so what? I think this is quite a refreshing change for a main and can see lots of possible character arcs starting from here on.

The first episode was good even though the budget was the usual low Toei quality we are so used to in recent times.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 6, 2014 8:09 AM

Aug 2008
What a difficult first episode to formulate an opinion on. I'm gonna watch the next episode, but I'm not quite sure why I want to. The characters aren't likable (and the main is straight up unlikable) and nothing really happened.

Although, I'm probably not gonna watch this for long if it takes too long for the main character to reach his epiphany and change his ways.
Apr 6, 2014 8:57 AM

Jan 2013
Never seen a sumo anime.
Interesting first episode. I guess he can only redeem himself from here.
Apr 6, 2014 9:49 AM

Jan 2010
Uwaaa, what a dick of an mc. I can't wait to see him get his comeuppance and change for the better.

That OP was glorious tho.
Apr 6, 2014 10:00 AM

May 2013
This guy is a piece of shit. Not much charm to it so far but it'll be interesting to see how redemption goes.
Apr 6, 2014 10:07 AM

Aug 2011
Matsu is like a cross between Joe and Nishi, but manages to come off as more of a dick than either of them ever did.

10/10 will continue watching.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Apr 6, 2014 11:53 AM
Jan 2013
The art kinda has that classic 70's theme, but it ain't bad at all.
Apr 6, 2014 12:37 PM

Jan 2013
I think alot of people didn't get it, the MC is written to be a massive dickhead and they portrayed that well. He isn't supposed to be likable, he will become likable through character development and I feel it is a great contrast to all these other sports shows where the main character is a shy weakling who gains confidence through a sport.

I find it very funny how the MC here is getting hated on while Takamura from Hajime no Ippo is a fan favourite and essentially the same basic character.

Great first episode, I feel this will be my favourite show of the season that isn't JoJoooo or Mushishi and I am really loving the artstyle. As to be expected from the same guy who wrote Ashita no Joe.
Apr 6, 2014 12:40 PM

Aug 2010
I kinda liked it, yeah, the main character is an asshole, but for some reason I don't hate him. The first episode was pretty fun so I guess I'll keep watching this.
Apr 6, 2014 12:45 PM

May 2011
Weirdly reminded of Garfield, he's terrible but endearing in a way. Which is to say, I totally wouldn't want to interact with him. xD;
Apr 6, 2014 2:06 PM
Jul 2018
Matsutarou's personality was terrible.
Apr 6, 2014 8:23 PM

Mar 2011
Lmao. For some strange reason I enjoyed this. This isn't even in my usual genre.
[Input amazing signature]
Jelly?
Apr 7, 2014 9:33 AM

Dec 2012
I think the first episode could have been stronger. I'm fine with the fact that he's an ass but it doesn't really feel like it "started off."

Gonna have to say disliked it but I'll go with the three episode rule and see how it goes on.
Apr 7, 2014 9:41 AM

Dec 2013
Are all you people crying about the MC new to fiction or just watch shitty moe anime with bland copy paste characters? Google 'character development' and educate yourself.

Very nice oldschool vibe from this. I wonder whats gonna happen to make the MC become less of a human piece of crap. I doubt him getting jailed is gonna be enough.
sayonara_sekaiApr 7, 2014 9:58 AM
Apr 7, 2014 9:59 AM
Apr 2012
That was a pretty bad start in almost every department. Really cheap looking, not funny and the main character is incredibly unlikeable. The OP is good though. But it is just a start, I'm expecting improvements and Sakaguchi to become tolerable. Also for the sumo wrestling to start.
Apr 7, 2014 10:31 AM

Nov 2010
Horrible and boring. that's all.
Apr 7, 2014 11:33 AM

Mar 2009
dafuq did i just watch
Apr 7, 2014 2:57 PM

Apr 2013
I really liked the OP. That old-style Japanese music is charming in it's own way.
Nothing really happened so far except that we got introduced to some of the characters. So far, MC is a huge dick and really unlikeable; though I'm expecting some serious character development.
Apr 7, 2014 7:25 PM

Sep 2011
E_1999 said:
Are all you people crying about the MC new to fiction or just watch shitty moe anime with bland copy paste characters? Google 'character development' and educate yourself.
I bet if this series had some vague ties to a borderline non existent term like moe you wouldnt be so defensive of its poor characterization of how a human acts with its main character. Character development doesnt mean the characters need to be disgusting human filth before said development.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 7, 2014 7:33 PM

Jul 2012
JizzyHitler said:
E_1999 said:
I bet if this series had some vague ties to a borderline non existent term like moe you wouldnt be so defensive of its poor characterization of how a human acts with its main character. Character development doesnt mean the characters need to be disgusting human filth before said development.

^
Adding on, if a character isn't your typical moe school girl, it doesn't necessarily mean the character is deemed as awesome. TBH, the MC in this show feels like the douchy class bully cliche at the same time, like a dumb jock. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate him, but that's what I'm feeling off him right now.
Apr 7, 2014 8:05 PM

Oct 2011
Hope he see the error of his way. Maybe Sumo will teach him that
Apr 7, 2014 11:09 PM

May 2013
mayukachan said:
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate him, but that's what I'm feeling off him right now

At this point you're kind of supposed to.
Apr 8, 2014 4:25 AM

Aug 2013
hgeronimo said:
Horrible and boring. that's all.

2deep4u?
Apr 8, 2014 3:17 PM
Dec 2011
That was weird and the MC has a way worse personality than Kirino from OreImo... wow. I really hope this anime won't be longer than 56 episodes with no additional seasons.
Apr 9, 2014 2:55 AM

Jul 2010
MC is totally the villain of the show right now.

mayukachan said:
JizzyHitler said:
E_1999 said:

^
Adding on, if a character isn't your typical moe school girl, it doesn't necessarily mean the character is deemed as awesome. TBH, the MC in this show feels like the douchy class bully cliche at the same time, like a dumb jock. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate him, but that's what I'm feeling off him right now.

Well, anyway we're talking of a manga adaptation of the '73.
Apr 9, 2014 8:15 AM
Nov 2013
Great episode, I love how much of an irredeemable asshole the MC is. I completely lost it when he stole the candy from the baby.
Apr 10, 2014 5:00 AM

Jan 2011
I don't think I've ever seen a more unlikable main character. Anyway this felt pretty meh, but then again it is only the first episode so I'll wait before passing judgement.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2014

21 by nightjasmine »»
Oct 16, 2023 8:50 PM

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - May 31, 2014

10 by JoseSalsa »»
Aug 19, 2022 7:06 PM

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

30 by Ashhk »»
Nov 5, 2020 9:23 AM

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

10 by Ashhk »»
Nov 5, 2020 8:41 AM

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

11 by Ashhk »»
Nov 5, 2020 7:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.