Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2014 11:07 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
While my expectations weren't high for this, I liked the fact that the director of Steins;Gate is involved with this. The OP is okay I guess? Nothing special though imo.

They got the premise underway pretty fast. Ryuuko sure got a surprise ha. Not sure what else to think of this for now but hoping more development soon. The themes catches my attention at least. Creepy dream is creepy. Parts of this reminds me of Yugioh.
Apr 3, 2014 11:16 AM

Apr 2009
Meh. The music was good, though.
Apr 3, 2014 12:58 PM

Jul 2013
Yup, this also reminds me of Yugioh.
Music sounded good.
Hm, interesting game I suppose..
3 losses and that's it huh..
Tama! So cute <3
SandyBoiApr 3, 2014 1:04 PM
Apr 3, 2014 1:02 PM

May 2010
Battle! tama sure is cute ;)

good first episode..its only 12 episodes so maybe i stick around long enough to see the end of it.

i liked the OP and the music overall. animation is fine too.
Apr 3, 2014 1:10 PM

May 2012
Nothing to special. I get a Fantasista Doll mixed with a little C Control feeling from this.

I like Tama and the music so I might keep watching. Also to see why it has a 17+ rating on it.
Apr 3, 2014 1:11 PM

Dec 2010
Another card game.. I'm really not into those, and as expected this wasn't anything special. Actually, it was pretty boring.
But the girls are pretty cute. Also, twincest in the first episode already?!

Well, let's see how this'll develop in the next few episodes.
Apr 3, 2014 1:15 PM

Jan 2013
Well, that was an enjoyable watch. I really liked the 'gritty' look of where Ruuko lives - so many anime locations look so perfect/clean/glamorous, but that was a nice touch of reality (although it's hardly a realistic anime, but you know what I mean :P).

Yuzuki seems to be a bit of an ass, the way she tried to take advantage of Ruuko's inexperience to win a match; it's too early to judge her just yet though, so I'll keep an open mind to her character.

So, she now thinks of Tama as a friend...I wonder how that'll work out if she comes to lose Tama.
Apr 3, 2014 1:15 PM

Apr 2013
Well, this is a psychological anime involving cute girls getting into some dangerous, creepy things.

I'm interested, this was a pretty good first episode. Sure, it reminds me a bit of Madoka Magica, but so what, this is with card games. Fantasista Doll was bad, but this looks promising, especially when I compare the first episode of those two shows.

The grandmother is awesome. I wish my grandmothers were like her. Looking forward to seeing her more.
Apr 3, 2014 1:16 PM

May 2013
It's another card game. This one seems interesting. Tama really likes to battle lol.
Apr 3, 2014 1:20 PM
Jul 2018
Ah so it looks like this is first series of this season for me and its not normally something I wouldn't watch.

And so with that I started watching and I my first thought was the OP isn't bad.
12 more minutes in and I'm liking the feeling of where its going.

and with that episode down I must say... Tama Kawaii & I'm liking this music.
Apr 3, 2014 1:21 PM

Jan 2009
1. Not really into card games cuz it's usually aimed for kids. But love the dark/serious tone

2. Just hope it doesn't turn into yugioh where they raise their fists & talk with overactive passion.

6/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Apr 3, 2014 1:24 PM

Mar 2013
Apr 3, 2014 1:24 PM
Dec 2007
I'm just here because of Okada, I wonder how the story is going to unfold (Tama is probably going to turn batshit insane and become that monster from the dream). The first episode was decent, I don't really like Yuzuki and the implied twincest, though.
Apr 3, 2014 1:25 PM

Nov 2012
Another stupid card game adaption.

If this is cliche I'm almost certain the grandma is the mastermind behind the game.

Tama is cute but her highpitched voice is so freaking annoying.

Wish comes true,wow so original...

5/10.Please don't be as terrible as Fantasista Doll.
VanishingKiraApr 3, 2014 1:33 PM
Apr 3, 2014 1:26 PM
Apr 2013
Reminds me of Accel World game wise. I wonder how dark the show will get because they did foreshadow it and the tags allude to a darker anime. I have been waiting for this anime and the first episode was pretty decent. Really nothing special yet however but first episodes are just meant to introduce the plot which they did quickly but well.
The whole Cersei vibe from the one girl is off putting though imo. It adds unneeded drama over something repulsive.
Apr 3, 2014 1:27 PM

Dec 2013
Well, it wasn't spectacular but it was a fun watch for a first episode. I'll probably stick to this one.

Also.. Incest? I hope that's not her wish.

3/5.
Miss me?
Apr 3, 2014 1:28 PM
Apr 2014
too fast, first episode and tama is strong, no more to say..
Apr 3, 2014 1:32 PM

Mar 2014
Is it just me or is this show giving our Mahou Shoujo Madoka vibes or trying to be a clone of it?
Apr 3, 2014 1:32 PM

Jan 2012
It just seems a bit to rushed if you ask me.
Should have waited with the first fight for second episode maybe.
Loli-card pretty much kills my interest in this. Too stereotypical.
Couldn't they have thought of something better?

Also: No explaination on how this game actually works. Just a lot of cliche characters and pretty good animation.
Will watch ep 2 too but i don't have much hope for this.

2/5 for this ep
"Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt." - Faust I, Vers 317
Apr 3, 2014 1:34 PM
Sep 2011
The highlights were the opening bit and the dream sequence with its post-apocalyptic imagery and gloomy colour design that managed to make for some pretty atmospheric moments (the notable sound direction definitely helped and certainly reminescent of some scenes from Stein's Gate which this show shares the director with). The background art also looks absolutely gorgeous with its water-colour style and generally urban feeling so at least this show will be pretty to watch if nothing else.

If there's one thing that disappoints visually it's the actual card battles. The seats and game boards even look a bit out of place in that setting though the fights scene between the avatars showed some promise animation-wise.

The pillar talk scene was also visualized pretty neatly with the cut to the tetris game her brother was playing. As for the latter I liked how natural her conversation with him sounded. So while I'm not fully convinced by the whole card battle system yet there's enough potential to check out one more episode at least.
EudaimoniaApr 3, 2014 2:13 PM
Apr 3, 2014 1:37 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
As others have mentioned, this show reminds me of many things for the episode...a kind of Madoka and Genei Taiyou atmosphere (creepy dream), Accel World a little bit, and Fantasista Doll just because it's cute girls playing card games. I was also wondering about the incest vibe I got...I mean that makes sense if it's Yuzuki's wish since it's something she can't make happen even if she works hard :/

Nothing too exciting so far. I'm interested in what that dream was about though.
Apr 3, 2014 1:43 PM

Jul 2013
I expect this show to be darker when I saw some of the trailers, but it looks like a little lighthearted concept.

I basically have these Fantasista Doll mixed in Day Break Illusion vibes in here.

It was kind of a nice start but just a set up episode involving around competition on the Wixoss. Character designs were kind of moe in here (Tama) and the animation has some dark atmosphere around it. Let's see how JC Staff can handle this.

Apr 3, 2014 1:43 PM
May 2012
*insert comment about how bad and cliche the anime is*
*insert comment about how I dislike card game anime*

I dislike how critical people try to be on 1st episodes of a show. You either like it or don't.

I thought it was perfectly fine for a first ep. It showed all the dark undertones the series is going to have and it foreshadowed events of the future. It introduced a few characters and gave you a slight description of what the card game is about.

If you don't like card game anime or dark series then don't watch it. Watching the first ep should make you realize that. And if you don't mind them then stick with the show and see how well it does in the future. Because hardcore judging an anime on the first ep is pointless and you should leave it as like or dislike.
Apr 3, 2014 1:51 PM

Jan 2012
*Insert comment about how everyone who thought the episode wasn't that great is just wrong because it's not oneselfs opinion*
Some people...
"Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt." - Faust I, Vers 317
Apr 3, 2014 2:02 PM

Apr 2013
After reading this, I ended up watching this episode just for the music. xD

Apr 3, 2014 2:03 PM

Aug 2009
First thing that I thought when I saw the title of this anime was "Do you pronounce WIXOSS as weak sauce?". After watching the episode I've confirmed the correct pronunciation is indeed weak sauce. Card games and incest with cute girls... because you know everything needs fucking cute girls despite the type of setting, atmosphere or premise. They just need to find some way to insert some lolis in there and people will undoubtedly throw money and praise at it. Yeah sry I'm having a bad day >_> but honestly aside from the decent music and visuals it doesn't stand out very much.
LoneWolfApr 3, 2014 2:09 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 3, 2014 2:07 PM
Mar 2008
A freaking generic and bland card game with lolis, cute girls and incest. Not in the least interested. Dropped.
Apr 3, 2014 2:15 PM

Oct 2010
Specifically selected girls to obtain power and have their wishes granted, a grim tone suspended in every corner of still shots and suggestive dream sequences, a cute "mascot" (almost died when her avatar card fell on the floor) which, however gives some hints of having a blast with violence, or at least her struggle during the battling. Really giving me Puella vibes, which doesn't come as a surprise considering the Madoka success. This first episode did look competent though unlike other Madoka-vibed shows in the past (Fantasista Doll and Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou) so, let's see where this takes us.
The character design made me think for a second i accidentally was watching Wake Up Girls instead.
Apr 3, 2014 2:24 PM

Apr 2012
Seems like it could be interesting but nothing really special. Also I'm not too fond of the moe art style in a show like this, it takes away from the serious atmosphere. I'll keep watching though.
Apr 3, 2014 2:27 PM

Mar 2011
mclovinballz said:
Is it just me or is this show giving our Mahou Shoujo Madoka vibes or trying to be a clone of it?

I see way too many connections with Wixoss' Selectors and Madoka Magica's magical girls... both series involve being granted magical powers in order to make a wish come true (for Wixoss, wielding a LRIG; for Madoka, becoming a magical girl). Both also happen to have a friend-zoned girl who gains said powers in order to win the affections of a boy.

I speculate that there is some sort of horrible (although expected) twist to this Selector system, as losing three games and one's Selector ability means one is ineligible to have their wishes granted. The striking similarity between Tama and that hulking, bloody giant seemed like the most obvious sign of incoming disaster. At the very least, this show is blatant in its grim, surreal foreshadowing of the angst and despair that is to come. I honestly picked up this show because of the dark undertones; hopefully the series will get better. The pacing, for one thing, could be improved.
Apr 3, 2014 2:41 PM

Mar 2011
The OP and ED are okay. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Tama is so cute! Battle! God it just makes me want to squish her.
My expectations for this anime isn't too high, but I sure would like to see what's going to happen next. Probably the typical meeting other selectors and battles, but nevertheless the theme is rather interesting plus the cuteness of Tama-chan~.
Do you like cakes?
You don't like cakes?
I like cakes.
Apr 3, 2014 2:44 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Pretty nice opening. :) Not a bad start to a series either.

The concept is a lot simpler than I expected.
Wish comes true after winnings and 3 loses will be the end of you.

Tama was cute and she's sure to become more badass in future.
Ruuko is cute and well mannered. :)
Can't say the same for her new friend, Yuzuki. She may be good looking but her attitude is kinda off..
Let's hope she becomes awesome too.

So, there's an incest vibe in this too?..

Ending song was okay. Looking forward to the next episode.

Next episode: "Poisonous Meeting"

Apr 3, 2014 2:54 PM

Aug 2013
I think this anime has a load of potential and it looks like this will definatly escalate as it is a 17+ rated jeese that dream automatically caught my attention and the op and ed themes was very good i got really hyped up for this anime and i hope it don't disappoint it very much reminds me of madoka with the wishes and yugiho being the card game aspect
well we shall see where this goes but first impressions for me are very promising :D:)
Apr 3, 2014 2:58 PM

Apr 2012
oh... it's just a card game anime... that's kinda disappointing... i thought it'd be a complete little girl bloodbath
Apr 3, 2014 3:04 PM
Aug 2013
The art is quite something. Smooth animation and the (abstract) art looks amazing. Although not really my cup of tea, I'll definitely be finishing this one. I just hope they won't screw up the plot with pointless filler and focus on the main instead, especially with only 12 episodes to fill.
Apr 3, 2014 3:08 PM

Nov 2013
It would be an anime about a card game wouldn't it....
Apr 3, 2014 3:09 PM
Jul 2012
I have to state something first: This is done by J.C. Staff. Well-known for their romantic/comedy anime. For them to go with something so bold as a psychological story, I must give them props.

Now, I had my worries. it since it's only the first episode, I will give my opinion. Yes, as other ppl have said, it did seem a little fast paced. But overall, I think they did a great job. From animation to plot to soundtrack, I say, "Bravo."

I"m looking forward to more.
Apr 3, 2014 3:16 PM

Aug 2012
feels like something bad is gonna happen
Apr 3, 2014 3:30 PM

Mar 2014
So far so good. cant wait for the next ep.

Mar 2013
Tama is adorable.

Mar 2013
Just another card anime, nothing special.
Next episodes will decide, what will be the fate of the anime. Not convincing yet
Apr 3, 2014 3:33 PM

Jun 2013
mclovinballz said:

Mahou Shoujo Madoka vibes.

The intro is strong "So please when your wish comes true, I wish for you to smile."

The OP is great, I like the song.

Also, I didn't know a loli (Tama) was going to appear in this anime. I should add her to the list ^^

And does anyone else smell incest with Yuzuki? I'm not sure what her exact wish is but I really think it's love something for her twin brother Kazuki.
Apr 3, 2014 3:41 PM

Dec 2009
This show is presented really well so far. Whether the plot will be good is obviously still open, but the fact that i can sit through this show, which by plot so far is seemingly pretty innocent, but you can just tell there's something really f**ked up going on in the world... The twisted aura it gives off really has me hyped.

I never give up on an anime unless it's really really bad and has crappy art. I'll end up watching it all for better or for worse, but it's definitely unique so far, aside from the mere fact it's a battle card game. I don't sense any cloning yet; like anything, all the tropes already exist, and it's all in how you combine and present different ones.

But yeah to describe this would probably be something like a mix between real Japanese battle card games, serious-afied Fantasista Doll, but the bleakness of Steins;Gate's art and a sorta subtle Madoka-esque creepiness.
GenesisAriaApr 3, 2014 3:48 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Apr 3, 2014 3:42 PM

Jun 2013
Nice start to this anime i enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Tama is super cute and I wonder why Ruko had that strange dream so i guess we may find out next week. Also the whole anime had a kinda Yugioh feel to it aswell, the way that the cards can communitcate with their owner. Very intrested to see what this anime brings next week and so on.
Apr 3, 2014 3:49 PM

Apr 2013
Decent start but nothing special so far maybe except the music which is pretty good
Let's see what will they do with the combination of card battle and wish granting
Apr 3, 2014 3:50 PM

Aug 2011
This is like girly twincest Yugioh. Interesting.
Apr 3, 2014 3:53 PM

Apr 2007
INCEST IS WELCOMED! interesting dark atmosphere
Apr 3, 2014 3:53 PM

Jul 2010
Hmm, that was fine i guess.Tama is so cute tho ( ´∀`)
Both OP (KANON<3) and ED are one of biggest pluses of this series for now.

6/10
incompleteAEGISApr 3, 2014 3:56 PM
Apr 3, 2014 3:57 PM

Feb 2013
it's watchable. Tama's voice is a bit annoying whenever she isn't saying "battle" though
Apr 3, 2014 4:06 PM

Jun 2013
This episode just barely held my interest all the way through, I just hope they don't get too indepth with the card game or they'll lose me.

I was expecting some "cute girl action with tragic twist" a la Madoka but now I highly doubt this show will execute it that well at all.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Selector Infected WIXOSS Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

250 by JustHarris34 »»
Feb 13, 1:03 AM

Poll: » Selector Infected WIXOSS Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 22, 2014

272 by pastelmegane »»
Nov 9, 2023 10:58 AM

Poll: » Selector Infected WIXOSS Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2014

97 by pastelmegane »»
Nov 9, 2023 8:23 AM

Poll: » Selector Infected WIXOSS Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

82 by Myabyelo789N »»
Sep 6, 2023 8:26 PM

Poll: » Selector Infected WIXOSS Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2014

150 by yhagni »»
Aug 11, 2022 11:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.