3It was OK
13.3%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.5
30 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 5:18 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The episodes when the Nautilus explores some mythical places while dropping hints about the history of Nadia, the Atlanteans, and the Blue Water are among my favorites of the submarine portion of the show, and this episode, which concludes the Antarctica trip, is no exception. Here Captain Nemo's usually crusty exterior concerning children begins to soften as he takes Jean and Nadia on a tour of his frozen base. The wonders the trio experience range from elevator shafts in frozen tubes of ice, frozen dinosaur-like beasts, penguins, and finally, an enormous (and ancient --read, 20,000 years old!--)white whale named Irion who has the power to communicate telepathically with Nadia and Nemo. The latter is a breathtaking marvel to see, and it only gets better when we explore the surface of the South Pole in which a rainbow-colored aurora brightens the frozen night sky.

Ev Lunning Jr. acquits himself wonderfully in the role of Nemo in this episode; the scenes where he communicates with Jean actually make a connection to a real-life fact: Lunning was Nathan Parsons (Jean)'s director in a play, and coached him in doing the French accent. Listening to their exchages gives one the impression that we are hearing a teacher-student relationship between Ev and Nathan for real.

And of course, there's some hilarious bits involved--poor Jean receiving a slap across the face from Nadia and Marie after goggling at the sight of them shaking their clothes in a hot cavern, Sanson losing to Marie and King in a sand game, and Jean demonstrating his latest invention--an ice cream maker. All in all, this is great stuff.
Dec 17, 2009 7:02 PM

Feb 2009
Certainly one of the most interesting episodes of Nadia thus far.

Eww... 12.000 old food!

Oh and the scene with Sanson, Marie and King was really charming and funny
Jan 9, 2010 8:42 AM

Feb 2009
Wonder who the brother is. Interesting.

Gotta admit, I laughed out loud when Nadia got brain freeze from the ice cream. :)

Aug 20, 2016 6:26 PM

Jun 2016
The soundtrack in this show is stellar, it really helps to create the tone and atmosphere of wonder. Really cool episode too I wasn't expecting it to go like this at all.
Sep 2, 2017 5:53 AM

Dec 2015
After the previous nods, a white wale was something to expect.
I wonder if those homodinasonic/dinosaunics who ruled over the Earth in the past and look now like demons caught in the ice are a reference to Devilman.

Strange to see many wrong/too simple faces only now at ep19, I was expecting them a lot sooner.

5/5 Oh, right! Nadia has a brother, I totally forgot about him (even though he's in the illustrations on my DVD box xD)
Oct 15, 2017 8:48 PM

May 2016
At this point, the twist would be Nemo NOT being Nadia's father.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Dec 2, 2017 1:07 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I had forgotten about the scene with the ancient whale. Very cool stuff. It's not the first time Anno includes marine mammals interacting with humans in his stories. If I remember correctly, Gunbuster had dolphins piloting spaceships in the future.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 31, 2018 7:41 AM

Nov 2011
Up to this point in the anime series, I did not remember the story well. I am very surprised to see Miss Grandis cook and today discover the friend of Captain Nemo, how to learn about the revelations that the whale does to Nadia on her family. I wonder if we'll even discover Nadia's parents during the next episodes, I'm very curious, even though I'm still hesitant about Nemo being Nadia's brother.
May 22, 2018 12:39 PM

May 2012
Definitely one of the best highlighted episode of this series, not only was it completely magnificent but semi confirmed some character development clauses.

Really brilliant episode and such inspirational as well, looking forwards to see what the next episode will give us!
Sep 1, 2019 3:12 PM

Aug 2017
A whale named Ilion? Nice reference to Troy. And the tree of life... Yggdrasil?
Apr 16, 2020 10:13 PM

Jan 2014
An episode that turned out different then I expected but was a very enjoyable ride nonetheless :D

I agree the soundtrack for this series has been great and this episode had some really excellent accompaniments throughout! The color palette of their inner cavern base was also very soothing with its warm color choice and served as a very nice parallel to the ice caverns and surface of the South Pole.

LOL Nadia and Marie fussing about it being too hot and slapping Jean for starring too long as they removed their winter clothes harsh! But, why didn't the crew or Electra tell them the inner cavern was warm and winter clothes were not needed there XD seems like an important detail! LOL Electra knows Jean so well already that he will explore the base even if he is told no and Nadia gets upset at their interaction again XD be honest with your feelings Nadia ^-^

Grandis looking fantastic as usual with her coat over her shoulders and part of her hair covering one side of her face X3 she also took quick note of their mining operation which does make sense given her family's former business chances are she picked up a thing or two! LMAO Grandis you do not hate all men and you think about riches too 🤣 although to be fair you obtain and chase riches for more sympathetic reasons ^-^ I also agree the little game bit with Sanson, Marie and King was very nice and cute plus it is good to see Sanson is still close to Marie after their little adventure together.

But, the real core of this episode is Nemo revealing secrets of this world long hidden or lost to the rest of mankind: a massive world tree of life, magnetic levitating platforms, frozen life forms of long days past (LOL Nadia you were scared by them but you think they look like Angels XD what are you smokin') not just dinosaurs but humanoid lizard like hybrids Saurians, a room of penguins 😂 (what's with the penguins 😆) all culminating in meeting Nemo's dear friend Irion an 20,000 year old giant white whale who can speak directly into the heart of those connected to Blue Water. As he shares his wisdom and images from his memories to Nadia he laments that this will probably be the last time he will see Nemo (whether he means he will pass on or perhaps Nemo will or both of them I guess we will have to wait and see) and that Nemo has entrusted the future to Nadia and Jean and gives Nadia a (vague XD) hint at what she has been looking for and an unexpected person she will meet! Which gets Nadia questioning whether it's her brother (who I forgot completely about about since he was mentioned only really early on if I recall correctly LOL) as Irion descends beneath the water.

LMAO then a penguin shows them the way to Nemo (what is with the penguins 🤣) and Grandis uses her charming personality and encouragement to figure out where Nemo went and you are right Sanson and Hanson she is a fearsomely fantastic passionate maiden 🥰

We then show Nemo, Nadia and Jean emerge from underground and stand directly on the surface of the South Pole (with a surprising lack of winds XD) in a very nice scene where even in the cold they gaze upon the stars and lights in the sky that no men from this era have ever seen besides Nemo and his crew! I like that Nemo after the horrors he has seen in his life still has faith in the future of mankind and the forces of good that can stem from human pursuit and curiosity. And shares with hem the beauty of nature that causes him o shed a tear that Nadia takes note of in surprise (yes Nadia surprise surprise Nemo is far more human and kind hearted then you gave him credit for but he has to be strong and quick at making harsh decisions if he wants to prevent a great evil from laying waste to the future of mankind) as the words from Irion echo in her heart!

That would have been a great send off for this episode . . . but we instead get this ice cream making machine Jean made all of a sudden from ice 12,000 years old WTF and he does not even warn them of brain freeze!?! And the Grandis trio went to the surface without winter clothes . . . the hell!?! Sanson even talked about how harsh and cold the South Pole was how could they not prepare for the surface! And we exit on our group laughing. What an odd way to end this episode XD but despite that it was an interesting and entertaining one!

Sep 26, 2020 8:16 PM
May 2020
Um... the whale was cool but it hardly communicated anything aside from being ridiculously old and dying. What is more strange to me was not that the "Blue Water" let them communicate with animals because why not (?). My problem is...

WHAT WERE A BUNCH OF PENGUINS DOING IN A CLOSED CAVERN A MILE UNDER THE GROUND?!?
HOW WERE THE KIDS BARELY FREEZING IF THEY WERE LITTERALLY AT THE SOUTH POLE?!?
HOW COULD SO MUCH OF THE ATLANTIAN TECH SURVIVE FOR 20,000 YEARS? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! AND YOU ARE GOING TO NAME DROP ANOTHER SENTIENT RACE JUST LIKE THAT???
It still looks cool, so I will give it a pass. Sure, we got to see some really cool stuff. but I felt like there was too much introduced in too little time with too little emphasis placed on each of them.
Jan 25, 2021 2:25 PM

Feb 2012
More world building. So these sapient dinosaurs (forgot their name) preceded the Atlanteans, too?

Only Nadia and Nemo could hear the whale, so was Nemo carrying his bigger blue water in his pocket?

Nadia has a brother? Nemo seems like he is Atlantean like Nadia, but is he also a close relative?

Nemo takes Jean and Nadia to see the Aurora Australis and Nadia is surprised to see a tear.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 16, 2022 12:32 AM

Feb 2021
Wow their base actually had a talking whale this entire time
Feb 14, 5:21 PM

Jul 2021
Very weird episode, It seems Nadia can talk to animals now.
AzafuseKingToraFeb 19, 9:28 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.