Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 4:41 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Less action-packed than the first, but this episode does benefit from the asset of Jean and Nadia getting to know each other--this is one of the more charming aspects of their relationship: his generosity and genius disarming her suspicious, doubtful heart. This episode also suggests a hint of prejudice, particularly in the characterization of Jean's cantankerous aunt and her refusal to take Nadia in due to her dark skin. Part of me wishes the show would have expanded on this issue--it would have, I think, created a more intellectual series than it already is.
May 28, 2014 9:52 PM
Apr 2013
The series clearly isn't trying very hard to have a high credibility, but it's still good fun.
Jul 25, 2014 9:32 AM

May 2011
He's inventions are constantly breaking down. :D This's gonna be interesting, I laughed when he said that they were going to Africa with that crude aircraft, it's so predictable that it'd break down.

The villains are annoyingly funny. villains must be serious and hard to deal with, it was like watching pokemon.
Aug 16, 2016 4:30 PM

Jun 2016
I like everything about this show except for the villains.
Aug 16, 2016 6:03 PM
Jan 2008
hentaimoney said:
I like everything about this show except for the villains.

If you mean Grandis and her boys, they don't stay villains for long. They turn into allies in episode 8. The real villain shows up in episode 6, and he's purely evil with a capital "E".
Sep 11, 2016 5:27 PM

Jan 2010
I didn't put 2 and 2 together in the first episode, but geez this kid is loaded.

Easy reference to Around the World in 80 Days. Though, it's curious that the show seems more in love with flight despite the title and inspiration emphasizing the sea.

I'm concerned how Jean promised Nadia to fly her to Africa though, as Africa is, well, kinda big. Saying "fly to Africa" is damn vague, but hell, I'll go with it since perhaps they probably don't know what they're dealing with.

Getting major Kiki's Delivery Service Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind vibes with Jean's newest flying mechanism. Can't imagine why. Also, not sure about Grandis's crew remarking at the awesomeness of Jean's plane when they themselves have a mecha that can convert from a hot air balloon to a ship to a walking tank.
Aug 6, 2017 11:16 AM
Sep 2016
Very sweet, steampunky show. But I'd like to know what the Japanese word was that got translated as "coloured" when referring to Nadia. She's essentially sold in episode 1 and faces outright racism here, after all.
Aug 26, 2017 12:41 PM

Dec 2015
A nice calmer episode right after the explosive first one.

4/5 Next, the Nautilus! (at least I think, not sure anymore xD)

Satan-sama said:

The villains are annoyingly funny. Villains must be serious and hard to deal with, it was like watching pokemon.

Probably because the Glandis Gang and the Team Rocket trio are both derivatives from the same characters: Time Bokan's Time Skeletons. Though, you could argue that Yatterman's Doronbo Gang, the later evil trio of the same franchise, is the actual inspiration since they seem to have enjoyed a larger fame.
(Not only the trio members themselves but they all use mechanical vehicles/robots.)

@shinydan She used the term "rokujin" twice. The french edition translates the first by "she's of colour/coloured", the second by "basané" (literally dark-skinned, or a pejorative for african like "darkie").
Rei_IIISep 2, 2017 11:17 AM
Sep 14, 2017 6:35 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I had forgotten how Nadia had faced discrimination on account of the colour of her skin. Even though they didn't go into detail with it, it is rare that you see such a matter being touched upon in anime.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 25, 2018 11:01 AM

Nov 2014
Nadia has an unfortunate encounter with Jean's racist aunt. And not "racist" in the joking sense, but in the literal she has a problem with "colored" people sense. I can't recall seeing this kind of discrimination handled as unambiguously in an anime. Jean, being the pure-hearted soul that he is, finds a solution around this road block, and continues to diligently protect Nadia from hostile adversaries.

The pacing has been leisurely, taking its time, gradually revealing pieces about the world. It doesn't overdo anything, or beat you over the head with action and information. It gives you time to breathe with the characters.

5/5
Mar 13, 2018 10:31 AM

Nov 2011
The anime series is doing the right steps, exposing previously the context in which the story unfolds and now characterizing well the two protagonists of the story. The quality of the drawings and animation is more than good. The soundtrack that I see suitable for the temporal context is catchy, just as the gap between the first and second part of the episode is intoned. I like the original opening and ending.
May 18, 2018 7:51 PM

May 2012
Well that sure was quite lovely, looking forwards to see how they'll get out of that trouble this time!
Feb 19, 2020 1:29 PM

Jan 2014
The music throughout this episode was both whimsical and wacky XD

Speaking of which if I didn't mention before I really love the opening to this anime the sounds and tone it fosters reminds me of openings I would hear when I was just beginning to watch anime regularly for the first time! It has that cathartic yet uplifting feeling too it like I am a feather caught in a gentle free flowing breeze yet has enough force to glide me along swiftly while showing me a beautiful view ^-^

The ending theme is also nice and uplifting as well and the whole art style of it reminds me of an old storybook creates a very nice sendoff to an episode!

Grandis looked beautiful this episode as well her hair down and wet was such a sight to say the least 😍 and that stance she has shouting from her megaphone and her almost falling off her platform . . . . these animators know what they are doing X3 (or perhaps my mind has long since been corrupted . . . nah it is all good :D)!

Also, excellent work Jean your natural inventive ingenuity impressed Nadia keep it up man! And Nadia I am glad you are slowly but surely opening yourself up to Jean's help keep it going! I like how the art style during the night really captured that time of day to me it felt like a night in the countryside great work on that front!

I understand what Jean's Aunt means (except the colored aspect since that shouldn’t matter but it is 1889 so attitudes like that were more common) in terms of taking care of a complete stranger plus utilizing what money they have left thinking about Jeans future education but I like how Jean optimistically tries to explain and reason with his Aunt in how Nadia is a good girl worth helping (although he could have explained the fact they were being chased by some bad people looking to abduct Nadia! Come on man make it sound more urgent I am sure your Aunt would be more willing to help then)!

I liked how Nadia did not get upset (chances are she has heard harsh words like that before) and instead tried to leave so as not to be a burden to Jean but Jean would not have any of that and would not let her just walk off he will find a solution! And the answer is his house which is a pretty cool place LOL Jean an escalator cannot break down it just becomes stairs 😄 and you call yourself an inventor!

Thankfully they were able to escape on the latest model plane which flies so well it even impressed the bad guys 🤣 and Nadia gives Jean praise as a true genius but suggests they still fly close to the shore LMAO an excellent idea even Jean agrees as expected 😆 but we spoke too soon even with that precaution 😂 Jean even promises Nadia she will not get wet this time but her face is the embodiment of press X to doubt! Jean you gotta stop saying these things out loud you might have a curse on you XD

Overall nice/relaxing episode allowing Jean and Nadia to spend more time together and open up to each other :) looking forward to the next episode!

Mar 1, 2020 7:05 AM

Sep 2018
Episode that in itself is a long prologue on the knowledge of the two characters Nadia and Jean, and of the still endless pursuit by the three ugly faces previously encountered. The narration proves much more fun in the finale, where Nadia's character begins to melt and show facial expressions that say everything about the situations that arise whenever Jean uses his invention. However in general the atmosphere is not gloomy and sad.
Aug 13, 2020 5:53 PM
May 2020
I really like how they develop his character as a "genius". He has tons of inventions, but they are always breaking down. Yet, he is unfazed and keeps trying to improve his craft. It would have been so EASY to make Jean STUPID SMART, but instead they went for a more realistic approach and that "get back after every fall" attitude of his makes him easy for viewers to become attached to.
I also like how Nadia is neither in denial or overly-stand-offish towards Jean. She is honest about everything, condemning him for his failures and gently praising him for his achievements.
Dec 20, 2020 3:44 PM

Jul 2008
I noticed they mentioned Africa along with the name of countries in the first episode, and they do it again in this episode when she tries to recall which country she is from.
Jan 15, 2021 2:18 PM

Feb 2012
Gotta love Jean's obsession with machines.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 29, 2022 11:21 PM

Feb 2021
I can't help but smile every second of watching this. Hope though that the bad buys don't reappear every episode like in Pokemon, that would be annoying

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.