Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2009 4:04 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
so if you were planning to conquer a lesser civilization, why would you warn them and send them advanced technology that would guarantee their resistance?

and if you wanted to immigrate peacefully, why would you do it so obviously and at night? if you're doing it at night then it should be a hidden low key long term migration, and if you're doing it in the open then it should be during the day and you shouldn't land too close to the city. so as to avoid mass hysteria and preemptive military action. but still close enough that people will be able to see the local military strike the first blow and fail miserably.

looks like the Gundam was booby trapped to start a conflict, or to defend the area against all other mobile suits. either way, its presence will only prolong the war and increase the suffering :(

also, why would the people of the moon need as much space as that guy said they wanted? the moon couldn't possibly support a population large enough to need that much space.

I'd also like to question the reasoning skills of that pilot, using a massive f'ing weapon that will wipe out part of the tow to swat a fly that's not even able to hurt you is pretty much guaranteed to make people hate you. if she had held her fire, there might not even have been a war. since the pilots would have been able to attest to the fact that the government was lying about the moonrace being violent monsters. a statement that I'm certain they've been planning to make since the day they decided to betray their benefactors (assuming that it was a technology for land type trade).

not really enjoying this series so far, hopefully the writing will improve soon.
May 6, 2010 2:44 AM

Apr 2009
^
I have the same questions as I've started watching this series. I hope I get my answers later, if not at least an understanding on that weird Moonrace military operation.

Though it seems the Moonrace have given them advanced technology, it is immensely inferior to the ones they are currently using anyway. I'm guessing that maybe, that wireless communication (vacuum tubes, heh!) they provided could be a basic means for opening negotiations and diplomacy with Earth?

That was an interesting coming of age ceremony, I got excited when the Sochie's father described it as "doing whatever you like in front of the Whitedoll for the whole night" and the previous scenes from the other coming age ceremony in episode 1 teased my imagination. I got disappointed in this episode. T_T

But ... Loran's naked in the cockpit, hahaha!
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 3, 2010 11:43 PM

Dec 2007
This was the best episode of anime I've seen in a loong long time, such a refreshing experience! This is exactly why I watch anime, it just has so much offer. Yoko Kanno's music really brings out the greatness in this series, and this is only 2 episodes in. I can't wait to see more.
Aug 14, 2011 7:02 AM
Jul 2018
The opening song was really... strange. At first I thought it would try to do something completely different than the average Gundam, then th opening kicks in. This episode also forebodes the typical Gundam premise, Earth vs space colonies (namely, a moon colony). jacobpaige's questions are valid only if you are under the impression that the moonrace wants to peacefully immigrate, and not to conquer, to take what's rightfully theirs. They could also think of the earthlings as inferior beings that have no right in stopping them in this process. If Loren is directly involved in this, he could still be out of the loop on certain implications, hence why his naive attitude. Well, that's more than enough pondering for just 2 episodes.

Random thought, it has been two years since he arrived already?! Goddamn.
Aug 13, 2012 2:48 AM

Jul 2008
Okay here come the gundams...
Aug 13, 2012 9:46 AM

Feb 2008
atomusku said:
jacobpaige's questions are valid only if you are under the impression that the moonrace wants to peacefully immigrate, and not to conquer, to take what's rightfully theirs. They could also think of the earthlings as inferior beings that have no right in stopping them in this process.

Actually, this is addressed in my first question
jacobpaige said:
so if you were planning to conquer a lesser civilization, why would you warn them and send them advanced technology that would guarantee their resistance?
If they really were intending to invade from the beginning, then there is no reason to communicate with the lesser species at all, they could simply drop from the sky and overwhelm them with superior technology and military strength while the spies on the ground killed off key leaders.
Dec 11, 2012 8:56 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I was obviously wrong in the first episode discussion. It's pretty clear now that the moon race is trying to conquer earth and Loren is definitely a spy. The thing is, it seems as though he had no idea about the attack and, considering he and the others were talking about intergrating themselves in society during the parade, it seems they thought that whatever their mission is would take much longer or something.

As far as why the Moonrace actually contacted Earth, I think it's arrogance. They know/think that Earth has no chance against them and that explains why the female pilot freaked out when she saw the Gundam. They clearly weren't expecting much of a fight.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 30, 2013 10:09 AM

Nov 2011
Ee, a mobile suit~!<3 Everything suddenly feels much more Tomino. The moon race had no idea about it, apparently, so I wonder how it got there? The holy marks and white dolls and Loran's "toy" are all going to fit together in some wonderful historical/mythological/cultural way. I can't wait to see the bigger picture of what's going on.
Feb 6, 2014 2:58 PM

Jun 2012
Two years passed in such a short time. I haven't noticed it until the coming of age ceremony.

Maybe there are two groups: one that wants to peacefully conquer Earth, and other that wants to attack it. I don't know, maybe we'll get the answers later.
Oct 29, 2014 8:29 AM

Sep 2011
I didnt notice till this episode but does anyone else think sochie's voice actress is fucking terrible

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 29, 2014 8:43 AM

Dec 2012
It's not only her voice horrible, so ... :)
Oct 29, 2014 10:46 AM

Nov 2012
Yeah her VA is extremely obnoxious, thank god her career didn't go any further.
Oct 29, 2014 10:51 AM

Aug 2014
Terrible, or perfect for Sochie?
Sieg Zeon!
Oct 29, 2014 12:18 PM

Sep 2011
Nope said:
Yeah her VA is extremely obnoxious, thank god her career didn't go any further.
somehow she got 3 main roles including being in brain powerd, one more reason not to watch that show then

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 21, 2015 9:59 PM

Jul 2010
Nice to see Gundams this episode.

And both Sochie and her voice actress are just awful.
Sep 4, 2015 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
Forgot I was watching Gundam until the mobile suit's came out at the end. lol
Oct 4, 2016 5:51 PM

Apr 2014
2 years in 2 episodes? Shit.
Mar 13, 2017 12:59 AM

Dec 2015
On one hand, it is still great. On the other hand, the "tactic" makes no sense with the new infos.

5/5 Let's see if everything falls into place conveniently.
Jul 8, 2017 3:17 AM

Jul 2013
For such kiddy character design, I feel like there's quite a number of 'suggestive' scenes XD
Sep 8, 2018 12:56 PM
Aug 2017
I love Turn A Gundam!
Sep 3, 2019 2:54 PM

Feb 2017
Finally the Gundam appears!
Sochie's voice doesn't bother me at all (so far). Was surprised to see how many people here didn't like it.
Don't like the opening. Feel like it clashed with the feel of the show.

Moonpeople's tactics don't make sense to me. Hopefully it makes sense in the future and doesn't end up being another dumb thing from Tomino.
Dec 23, 2020 1:38 PM

Aug 2017
I wonder if that Syd is named after Syd Mead the mecha designer.

No, seriously, this is a record amount of nudity for a "mainline" Gundam. Though everything is covered up by a red fish lol (which decided to disappear from Loran's back after the awakening of the Gundam). I wonder what would the ceremony look like if not for the armed conflict. Was Loran supposed to receive a "gift" on the back too? Or only to give it? What were they going to do for the rest of the night?

So it's been 2 years since the events of the first episode already? Or maybe the timeskip occured during that episode, at least for the most part? I thought Loran was allowed to pass the ceremony earlier because he's already 15 or something. And Sochie should be the same age too. So they're 17 now? And Kihel is, like, 19 or something?

There're some noticeable ways of showing the pilots in a square of sorts (like those triangles or something in Zeta and subsequent shows).

Also Loran decided to lose his shoes after getting in the cockpit.

P.S. Apparently I'm in the minority of those who like Sochie's VA.

P.P.S. It wasn't quite clear what caused the destruction of 2 spots near the end.
St0rmbladeDec 23, 2020 3:09 PM
Oct 10, 2023 2:34 AM

Jul 2017
i have a lot of questions, i don't know if i liked this epiosde or not
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Jan 28, 1:29 PM

Jan 2008
I just want to note that the nudity in the series so far is fine compared to the lecherous anime of today, because there's no 'male gaze' by the camera. It's all matter of fact and unsexual in nature.

Anyway, everything escalated this episode. I hope we get a good explanation for why the Gundam was buried there all this time.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Turn A Gundam Episode 29 Discussion

WolfWood37 - Sep 18, 2012

17 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 5, 1:10 AM

Poll: » Turn A Gundam Episode 7 Discussion

removed-user - Aug 14, 2011

21 by Beatnik »»
Jan 29, 7:40 AM

Poll: » Turn A Gundam Episode 6 Discussion

removed-user - Aug 14, 2011

19 by Beatnik »»
Jan 29, 4:00 AM

Poll: » Turn A Gundam Episode 4 Discussion

jacobpaige - Sep 6, 2009

24 by Beatnik »»
Jan 28, 2:47 PM

Poll: » Turn A Gundam Episode 1 Discussion

jacobpaige - Sep 6, 2009

38 by Beatnik »»
Jan 28, 12:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.