Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 31, 2014 6:47 PM

Jul 2010
Is Charles the Blue Seagull pilot? Cause he's the only one who could fit the description.

I want to see Fana too. :|
Mar 31, 2014 6:49 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Nice episode but unsatisfactory ending..

Kal's speech was impressive.
That quiet lady.. I've always suspected her..

Family reunion was pretty nice.
Loved Kal and Ari's dad's conversation. :)

I wished for Ari to eventually fall in love with Ignacio..
Still, I feel bad for her because Kal probably doesn't/won't see her the same way..

Poor Chiharu.. Those Mitsuo feels..
Sharon and Benjamin makes their ways.
"I want to be your right arm." -- How nice of Sharon. XD

Nice to see Kal being a total badass!
That Blue Seagull again. Made Kal look like an amateur though. XD

Did Claire and Kal actually conversate through her Wind power?
Still, nice going!

I'd like to see a second season or at least an OVA to make up for the loose ending.

Good show nonetheless. :)

Mar 31, 2014 7:05 PM
Mar 2014
redd530 said:
Is Charles the Blue Seagull pilot? Cause he's the only one who could fit the description.

I want to see Fana too. :|

Thats what I am hoping for because that would be an amazing tie in because both charles and karl are chasing after a girl who are the leaders of their country and have these huge responsibilities preventing them from doing anything...
Mar 31, 2014 7:49 PM

Apr 2010
Fuck open endings. That is all.
Mar 31, 2014 8:05 PM
Mar 2013
I cant believe how low people rate an anime just based on the ending. The series in general I liked it. I wish he killed claire on spot when he found out that she is nina viento but thats not berserk. The episode 13 itself felt meaningless it didnt feel like an ending to an anime. I get that it was supposed to be open ending but it could of been done better. I would rate the ep 13 as 5/10 it served its purpose but could of been the anime in overal 6/10 it was good had some great moments although its not really my cup of tea.
Putting claire aside I wish he found out about his brother....
Mar 31, 2014 8:12 PM

Sep 2013
dafuq kinda of ending was that? Dude seriously, so many romance anime adaptions and not a single one worthy of a good ending. Sheesh. 5/10
Mar 31, 2014 8:15 PM

Dec 2013
Since episode one I've considered this series my least favorite of the season, and it never once impressed me enough to change that opinion. About episode 7 or so, I began to have hopes that it might impress me as the ending grew nearer, but I was disappointed in how ridiculous they played things out.

That being said, I went into this episode with no hope whatsoever for a good ending. But, as it turns out, my least favorite series of this season has provided the most satisfactory ending of the season. This ending was handled fantastically.

The "plot" was wrapped up nicely, considering how stupid and ubelievable it was in the first place. Trying to pass it off as a religious or scientific discovery type thing doesn't save it from it's own idiocy. The plot made no sense, the characters who died died for nothing, and the romance was lopsided and backwards.

The surviving characters did get a good wrap up for their own individual parts of the story, which was nice to see. Loved how they finally grew up, it literally took the entire run of the series to see any development in their growth, but what we were given was nice. I hated Ari for most of this series, but I became a true fan of her by the end of this episode, and actually considered the idea that it might be ok if Karl had turned around right after take off and went back to her.

The ending may have been open, at least concerning his plan to retake Claire, but it did give the closure we needed for the stories that were started in episode 1.

So, despite the fact that this show ranged from terrible to bad, I gave it a 5/10 because the ending made sense, explained things, and provided closure, all while actually making me enjoy something I considered dropping after each and every episode.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Mar 31, 2014 9:16 PM

Apr 2013
Eh... for me this open ending is actually pretty good
A part of me feel unsatisfied but thought this might be for the best
I'm all in if there's a continuation though
The last 10 minutes was great
7.5/10
Mar 31, 2014 9:34 PM

Jul 2010
Ari's little monologue as Kal flies away was sweet as hell! It confirms what I'm sure we all suspected from the beginning: she is in tsundere love with her foster brother, but knows that it would be too creepy and, having grown to love Claire like a sister, she could never hurt her either. (My interpretation at least.)

Still, a bitter sweet moment for one of the better characters in the show.

As for the ending, I would hope for a continuation of the story in some form later on, but I don't know that we'll ever see it. It is patently obvious that Carl and Claire will be the founding couple of the next royal family, the show just leaves the i's undotted and the t's uncrossed.
Mar 31, 2014 9:37 PM
Dec 2013
If anybody has ever seen the movie Princess and the Pilot ( same author of the novels), you can tell that in the end where Kal-el is in his single seater prop plane there is another blue plane that comes in the scene for a few seconds. I think it's the Aires II from Princess and the Pilot and possible the MC from that movie.
Mar 31, 2014 10:36 PM

Sep 2013
The geography of their world is interesting.

So he's being open about their secret now.

"I love Nina Viento" The crowd absolutely loved that statement, best part is that it's true :D

The RA is a spy I wonder for who? The Sky Clan, their new allies, or someone else.

Awe Ari is staying behind :( But she looks great with her hair long and in that dress ;)

That punch :3

That moment with Chiharu made me tear up, Mitty RIP!

I thought the ending was good and would love a second season although by the sound of it that won't be happening :/
Mar 31, 2014 10:52 PM

May 2012
I think the open ending was good. Ari looks good with her long hair.

If you enjoyed this anime, then I recommend watching The Princess and the Pilot movie which is even better than this.
Mar 31, 2014 11:32 PM

Jul 2013
Wasted potential is all I can say. The story was definitely interesting but the execution and emotional moments were butchered by poor direction and pacing (which could have been avoided had this been a 20+ episodes series). The disparity between the students' planes and the enemy's was too ridiculous it's not even funny. It made you think "oh of course they'll die" instead of "oh shit he got shot!".

I'm not quite sure how to rate this show, it's either 5 or 6. The prospect of 2nd season is intriguing but all in all this anime is only good for a one-time viewing. Oh well.. 6/10 it is.
MoeGodMar 31, 2014 11:43 PM
Apr 1, 2014 1:12 AM
Mar 2014
I still don't know why Claire didn't take Kal as one of her 20 bodyguards...

Sadly too many things are just ridiculous for me to enjoy this ending. So yeah I agree wasted potential.
Apr 1, 2014 2:44 AM

Feb 2012
Best girl lost again, Ari ;_;
Apr 1, 2014 4:54 AM

Feb 2012
I really liked this show and I really wanted to like the ending... But forgetting about my feelings about the ending for a second, let's talk about the plot as a whole. This show had soooo much potential but definitely suffered from only being 1 cour. It needed to be at least 2 cours. It would then have been able to give us more detail from the books. If only I could read japanese :(

I'm giving it 8/10 despite disliking the ending and the show not living up to its potential.
Apr 1, 2014 5:08 AM

Aug 2013
Liked both the ending and the start, though unfortunately bad middle episodes are bad. 6.5/10 from me, wouldn't mind watching more of this.
Apr 1, 2014 5:26 AM

Oct 2013
Well for me Ari's storyline was fucked up,im tired of watching these one sided romances for the best girls.

This really needs a movie too ,just to give a nice conclusion.
Apr 1, 2014 5:48 AM

Dec 2008
What? Is that it? Why does this feel like some kind of build up to a second season? I blame this on poor writing. All of this could have been easily wrapped up in 1 season, but they just had to drag it out. *sigh*

6/10 which is sad, because at first, I was really feeling this show.

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 1, 2014 5:59 AM

Dec 2013
Adult Ari is 2cute.
Apr 1, 2014 6:22 AM

Jan 2011
dont know, why the peps all bitching around. ending was great! its open, so - what a bad thing - you can use your imagination, what will happen next and you dont get the feeling, that its over. and i am glad, that this is not the usual happy end. and also its kinda a trademark of the now existing toaru hikushii he series, that in the end the lovers are seperated. another point is, a new series or movie, where all strings will be connected, is possible and i kinda like that idea.

overall, the air animations were fantastic and story in the whole was interesting with that twist and and not a boring happy end. i think, 24 or 26 eps would have been better to tell some things in a more detailed way, but for some holes u can use your imagination. i give the show 0,85 for now so that would be still a 9. maybe when time passes i will downrate it a bit to 0,82 or so, dont know yet. i enjoyed the show very much. ^^
Apr 1, 2014 6:43 AM

Jan 2011
AlexGK said:
Like their entire goal made no sense - they went to all this trouble and casualties just to whack the island into the rainbow wall?

do you know, what exploration is?

AlexGK said:
The moment Claire got her powers back, instead of owning them, they just gifted her to the Sky clan. Sense where? This is bullshit, nothing else.

what the? it was an act to gain peace and not to spread the war. thats why the accepted the offer, that Viento should go to the sky clan, like its said in the tales of the sky clan.

AlexGK said:
Also the characters - with those they could have done so much better! Instead they kill off half of them

whats bad about that? at war people die. thats not a „care bears“ show!

AlexGK said:
and then make their sacrifice look like a joke with the already mentioned "plot".

i did not see any jokes. all deaths were plausible to me.

AlexGK said:
Rly, might just be me, ignore me, but the show started great and then went to shit level really fast.

shit? why? because people die at war?

AlexGK said:
Im happy someone liked it though.

it wasnt a masterpiece, but i like adventurous stories and this one salted with a love story (without the usual happy end) was really entertaining. its not the usual school stuff or harem show or 1 vs. 1 martial arts battle show you see every season. it was something different and i appreciate shows which do something different.
Apr 1, 2014 7:01 AM

Dec 2013
Open endings aren't so bad. I do feel bad for Ari though. Seriously, Igna would have made a way better pairing for Ari, and the psudo love-triangle doesn't really help since it really came out of the blue in the last couple of episodes and just petered off. It's like someone saying "oh, we got divorced" after some family dinner, just an afterthought? Wasted potential.

Again, I wish they'd have developed the story a bit more to include more about the history of the world. This is one of my major gripes. If we wanted character development, they should have made it 2 cour, and they shouldn't have killed off everyone from episode 5 onwards. This anime had so much potential to develop into something more, but it all seems a bit wasted now.

In the end, the only things I want to know, is whether this story coincides with the third LN in this trilogy in some way, and will we actually get some sort of closure on what happens afterwards from that Novel instead?

Would anyone who's actually read the LN care to enlighten me on this? Much appreciated thanks in advance.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 1, 2014 7:04 AM

Dec 2012
damn, this is just like Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuinoku's ending...Pilot's have it hard...

well, won't say i love it, it started great then it kinda lost touch at the middle...but this was still good...

not hoping for a second season, but a movie or OVA would be nice...

don't worry, i know IMG tags are turned off...i'm just lazy to change my sig... xD
Apr 1, 2014 7:24 AM

Jul 2012
Like everyone has said a million times already, wasted potential is what this anime is. Could have been so much better, even near a 9/10 score I can imagine. Main problems: length (too short, tried to cram everything in, not enough character development, didn't put in too much thought in the romance), lack of direction (the fricking entire war and isla really made no sense most of the time), and thirdly, pacing.

The ending was so good though. I don't know what you guys are talking about, but this is probably the strongest episode in the series, next to Mitty's death. The pacing was absolutely fantastic (didn't feel rushed, but wasn't too slow either) and so many ties were tied up. Really considering giving it a 7 but IDK yet.

Would be happy for an OVA. Sequel though? Not so sure.
Apr 1, 2014 8:15 AM

Aug 2010
Show started with a lot of potential. Went downhill for me though. Turned out to be just another typical love story.

overall 6.5/10
Apr 1, 2014 8:22 AM

Dec 2013
As mentioned many times before, the anime had great potential. Oh well, at least the ending was decent! Maybe season 2? Not likely but room for improving is possible in S2.
Apr 1, 2014 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
Ahh.. Needs a better ending but I still enjoyed the series...

9/10
Apr 1, 2014 9:51 AM

Jan 2011
summerwars said:
AlexGK said:
Like their entire goal made no sense - they went to all this trouble and casualties just to whack the island into the rainbow wall?

do you know, what exploration is?

AlexGK said:
The moment Claire got her powers back, instead of owning them, they just gifted her to the Sky clan. Sense where? This is bullshit, nothing else.

what the? it was an act to gain peace and not to spread the war. thats why the accepted the offer, that Viento should go to the sky clan, like its said in the tales of the sky clan.

AlexGK said:
Also the characters - with those they could have done so much better! Instead they kill off half of them

whats bad about that? at war people die. thats not a „care bears“ show!

AlexGK said:
and then make their sacrifice look like a joke with the already mentioned "plot".

i did not see any jokes. all deaths were plausible to me.

AlexGK said:
Rly, might just be me, ignore me, but the show started great and then went to shit level really fast.

shit? why? because people die at war?

AlexGK said:
Im happy someone liked it though.

it wasnt a masterpiece, but i like adventurous stories and this one salted with a love story (without the usual happy end) was really entertaining. its not the usual school stuff or harem show or 1 vs. 1 martial arts battle show you see every season. it was something different and i appreciate shows which do something different.

What a load of crap!
I know what exploration is, but I dont think you do. It surely doesnt mean discover new lands and cultures WITH THE GOAL of destroying your vessel, lol. No sane person would find such a cause justified - no less after taking into account how valuable that island was.

Gain peace? What? It would be the same if Hitler had nuckes first, nucked New York and then the US came to him asking him to give them up. Imagine him saying something like "Here take them and be at peace". NOONE does this, get it? And more so after sustainig numerous casualties. What if the Sky clan just said "Wow ty lamerZ, now we will have no trouble blowing your dumb asses out of the sky". Plausable, much? Sense, where?

If I was any of the characters who died TO PROTECT that island, then somehow saw how they whacked it into that wall - id feel fucking dumb for wasting my life, am I making sense now? Thats the joke I talk about, not the deaths themselves. I have no problems with people dieing if there was a good reason. But here they ONLY killed the characters to create drama. And it seems they got you, at least.
You really cant understand how meaningless their sacrifice was made to look in the end?
AlexGKApr 1, 2014 9:58 AM
Apr 1, 2014 10:52 AM

Oct 2013
Not exactly what I wanted to see from the ending but it wasn’t so bad.

6/10 because we haven't been given a proper conclusion to the political side with the Sky Clan nor the romance between Kal-el & Claire(not to mention a MAJOR lack of Claire this ep).

Can’t say I didn’t enjoy it to a degree but it had way more potential…
Apr 1, 2014 11:19 AM
Aug 2011
Okay ending, just okay. This probably would have worked better as a longer series.
Still way better than Wizard Barristers, Chuu 2, and Hamatora endings that's for sure.
Apr 1, 2014 12:20 PM
Mar 2014
summerwars said:

do you know, what exploration is? [...]

1. Sorry, I must be the one to explain few things about history to you.

The main reason of age of exploration was to omit Ottoman Empire that blocked trade routes on silk road. Europe (mainly Italian bankers) would never invest huge money so that Portugal/Spain/England could go and "discover" things. No the reason was one MONEY. Spain with Christopher Columbus decided to go east believing that they will reach China and India... it wasn't trip to sightsee unknown places. Portugal did exactly the same but they decided to go around Africa.

Ok that was one example… let’s take another one. Great Chinese voyages led by Zhang He. About 250 large ships set on the journey only to enlarge their political influence. Their ships called “treasure ships” were filled with precious gifts for unknown kingdoms. Again the aim was not to “discover” things but to create tributary countries.

2. But once again their country set on the journey to fight with Sky Clan… so what for was that peace? Only to cancel it after 6 years? That was just stupid mistake of author of this Light Novel. Just like he didn’t predicted that Kal could go with Claire as one of her guardsman.

It had great potential... but it was destroyed by:
A. Loopholes/Errors in LN
B. Cutting LN to only 13 episodes.

EDIT: And by the way... I loved ending of to aru hikuushi e no tsuioku.... it was sad one... but diffrences in their status were too big + fate of the world depended on who she will marry.
ArchacusApr 1, 2014 12:25 PM
Apr 1, 2014 3:43 PM

Oct 2012
I see a lot of people getting angry with the ending, and i completely thought it was going to be really bad but I didn't mind it.

The 2 or 3 episodes before that were not that good imo but the ending was a lot better then I thought it was going to be. It even opened the possibility of a second season (though I don't think it would do very well)

6/10
Apr 1, 2014 5:23 PM

Aug 2008
Must be some kind of Japanese fetish. Breaking Best Girl's heart that is.

I don't get it. Why did Ari need to have romantic feelings for Karl to begin with? That was absolutely plot irrelevant. Loved the show until they had to pull that shit again.
Apr 1, 2014 6:05 PM

Dec 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
am I the only one who liked the ending?
I enjoyed it :S
"It's our job as normal humans to make sure the potential on those misunderstood one is realized" - No Game No Life, Sora
Apr 1, 2014 6:15 PM

Jul 2012
ALSO, I FORGOT TO MENTION
Did anyone notice the fail height difference with the students? Karl was like two heads taller than Ari and then a frame later, he's like half a head taller. lol

goulartknight said:
kuuderes_shadow said:
I enjoyed it :S

I loved it. It topped all the endings from the winter anime (that I've seen so far - I have not seen Space Dandy and Mikakunin's finale yet).
Apr 1, 2014 6:39 PM

Apr 2012
Even though I don't like that ending I think this anime wasn't bad ^^
Apr 1, 2014 7:01 PM
Jul 2013
claire went to the sky clan of her own free will as their messaih or whatever in exchange for safe passage of isla, which was granted. now carl is going to war because he wants her back. once again claire is the cause of a war instead of helping make peace with the sky clan. that's just bad writing

if this show was a fantasy/ sci-fi series like last exile then it would ok even if this happened.
but this is character driven series which puts most of the fantasy elements on the back burner by not revealing much about the world and still the characters are left open ended. that is just fucked up.
Apr 1, 2014 8:50 PM

Apr 2013
What was the point of making his sister like him? It felt unnecessary and made me feel kinda bad for her. 5/10
Apr 1, 2014 9:41 PM

Aug 2013
8/10 for me. Yup, and I'm not going to write a wall of text to justify my rating. It was simply an enjoyable show from start to end.
Apr 1, 2014 10:42 PM

Jul 2013
TBH I got a little confuse on the ending. Is it a timeskip, or it transits from the previous episode? Well, to my view, the ending was not that appealing imo.

7/10, the first half was better, while the second half was just a waste.

Apr 1, 2014 11:11 PM

Sep 2007
omega_d94 said:
TBH I got a little confuse on the ending. Is it a timeskip, or it transits from the previous episode? Well, to my view, the ending was not that appealing imo.

7/10, the first half was better, while the second half was just a waste.

Pretty sure it was a timeskip. Everybody looked older at the end.

A show that had so much potential. Only to be marred by shitty budget and execution.
Apr 2, 2014 2:38 AM

Mar 2011
I don't see why people are complaining about the ending. I think that open endings are actually far more interesting than close endings if done correctly, and personally I think this is just right. Although the story seems to be rushed. Would have been better if it was around 24 - 26 episodes for more characters development and such.

As most people have said, Kal could have went with Claire as one of her bodyguard. Was expecting to see a scene where Kal and Claire are reunited, but I guess I was expecting too much to happen in one episode.

God Ari looks so good in that dress. Was hoping that Ari will fall in love with Ignacio. I find the fact that Ari have feelings for Kal totally unnecessary in my opinion, although it was actually sort of cute. Feel kind of sorry for Ari.

“Some love songs can’t be sung” in addition to calling Kal her “prince” those two phrases just hit me. It's like in almost every romance anime, there has to be a girl who is in love with the MC and keeps it a secret.

Didn't see Claire for the whole episode despite Kal declaring his love for her. Oh wait sorry, we did see her. For 2 seconds. don't mind the open ending, but it would actually be nice if there's a movie or an OVA to wrap things up a bit, perhaps some explanation or some sort and fill the loopholes and such.
Do you like cakes?
You don't like cakes?
I like cakes.
Apr 2, 2014 6:14 AM
Oct 2011
Seriousti said:
8/10 for me. Yup, and I'm not going to write a wall of text to justify my rating. It was simply an enjoyable show from start to end.

I agree
Apr 2, 2014 7:10 AM

Nov 2010
The last scenes were great including the aerial battles
Too bad it wasn't like this throughout the entire run

And the mole was unexpected to me
Apr 2, 2014 9:52 AM

Mar 2012
Dulzo said:
Seriousti said:

I agree

Me too. It was great *-* I'd really like to watch a 2nd Season... I want to know how does this great love story ends =(
Apr 2, 2014 3:32 PM

Aug 2013
Yeah, that's pretty much screaming ''WAIT FOR THE OVA/MOVIE/SEQUEL, MORE COMING SOON'' or ''READ THE MANGA YOU BUNCH OF FUCKER''.

On a more serious note, it was a good ending, but you know, open ending and stuff...

So as everyone knew it, Ari forbidden love had no way to become true. She end in the tragic way, waiting for her prince that will maybe never come back... (Just forget about that plot shield for a moment, okay?)

Karl declaring his love publicaly to the girl who decapitated his parents. Well, no, okay, she just annihilated his heritage with violent wind and tornadoes.

When the father talked about ''The husband being no good'', I thought he was talking about himself and that he married his daughter xD
That was a bit creepy.

When that weird creepy girl disappeared, I thought as a joke that she was a spy and guess what? SHE WAS A FUCKING SPY. Didn't saw this coming.

I hope they do an epilogue OVA around 30-60 min long because I honestly don't want to read the manga to see how it end. Didn't passionated me that much.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 2, 2014 4:01 PM
Feb 2014
was a great anime!
for me, it would have been better if Kal had stayed with Ariel
Apr 2, 2014 4:11 PM
Nov 2011
8/10 I really enjoyed this.
I guess Ari and Claire have too big fanbase to make definite romance ending. Now its a parity. And both groups can wish for another one's idol will die waiting for her prince. :3
Overall its great. And leaves a lot of possibilities to continue the story.
Apr 2, 2014 5:11 PM

Jul 2008
kuuderes_shadow said:

No you're not.

Those kind of open ending don't really seem popular even though it's those I prefer.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2014

111 by Alkimia »»
Feb 23, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2014

81 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2014

189 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 2:03 PM

» Is it one big love triangle?

Gamewolf - Mar 23, 2014

12 by ZGUEGCHOV »»
Feb 25, 2022 1:23 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2014

133 by Swizze »»
Jun 14, 2019 7:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.