Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 8, 2014 7:46 AM

Oct 2012
I was hoping to see Claire one last time.

End up all I get was a glimpse of her. :(
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Apr 8, 2014 11:44 AM
Aug 2012
8/10 !!
Apr 10, 2014 4:24 PM

Dec 2009
ARIEL LOST

Suffering ;_;
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Apr 13, 2014 6:40 AM

Jan 2008
This episode had me hoping for Ariel and Kal-el. But oh well, that's how it is then. This show was good in the first half and ended just fine. 6/10 from 7/10
Apr 26, 2014 8:28 AM

Jun 2013
TBH it was disappointing. The writer was trying to show that everyone other than Kal is a victim. I was hoping Claire would have died as part of her retribution and Kal would have forgiven her in her time of dying and hook up with Ari. Nothing much to say. 6/10
Apr 27, 2014 11:42 AM
May 2012
The story was kinda meh, but the aerial battle scenes were great. Just that it was overall not that great. I did liked the characters though.

7/10
May 22, 2014 3:24 PM

Dec 2011
Pretty amazing ending...!!
I felt all my inner organs when Ari said there are love songs never meant to be told!! OMG !!
The whole thing was pretty good... I think this series deserves a second season, and OVA's !!
Overall, i give it 9/10 because there were some minor plot things that went unresolved, for example Benji's hand (wtf why does he have both?) and some things that were not fully explained (for example, who were those who offered Kal a post in Isla?)
Jun 6, 2014 3:55 AM

May 2007
I watched the entire thing in one sitting in about 5 hours, it was an easy show to watch and enjoy, it's also weird I considered doing it after spoiling myself some time ago about Claire's identity as Nina but despite it being somewhat of a major deal, a lot of things in the series continued to surprise me, so it was a worthwhile watch. I haven't seen the movie with Levamme's Princess Fana in it yet but I'm quite intrigued now to go ahead and watch it but I'm going to hold off from it for a bit.

The last scene with Claire shows Igna (I reckon it is) and a blonde girl standing behind her in the background. I saw that the blonde girl had a white hairband (I think she was wearing one, regardless her hairstyle was similar to the character I was about to mention) and she's apparently one of the main characters from Toaru Hikuushi e no Seiyaku (the 4th light novel series from the Toaru Hikuushi series) and her name is Mio Seira.

So the 1st and 2nd LN series have been adapted, the 3rd LN series is called "Toaru Hikuushi e no Yasoukyoku" and has only 2 volumes, so if this was ever animated it would most likely be a movie or an OVA series, which I would like to see happen as soon as possible because the 4th LN series seems to focus as the Sky Clan pilots as the main characters and according to MAL, our dear Claire is also in it. I wonder what her and Kal's fate will be.

I gave this series a 9/10, another one of Necro's recommendations completed.
Jun 19, 2014 12:59 PM

Aug 2013
This series has amazing potential.. could have been much better to be honest.
Soo.. it took with long depressing story after another and finally ends in such an anticlimactic way.
First of all, the mystery behind the sky clan is one of the things that I felt shouldn't have ever be left out.. that's all.
Otherwise I did enjoy it truthfully.. didn't watch with huge expectations but it was good.
The characters are very nice.. and the cool aerial fights and sceneries are a thumbs up for sure.
I'm glad I stick to this until the end..
And another thing.. although I wasn't fond of her at first.. I'm with Ari all the way !!! <3
Jun 21, 2014 11:19 PM

Oct 2008
I actually didn't mind the ending. I liked the series, EXCEPT the thing everyone here seemed to have missed. I'm actually not a huge fan of conflict, but even I can see that they had the perfect set-up for a love-hate thing to go on and they blew it all up in an anticlimactic way.

I mean Karl La Hire was planning to kill her, and then when she revealed her identity I was thinking there'd be a huge reaction but instead it was like some BS emo "oh my life sucks" anticlimactic nonsense. They should of had him at the very least get angry enough to kill her or something.

They REALLY squandered the opportunities with this plot. Like they could of had Karl try to kill Nina when she's in costume and then her wig falls off or something. Or have him ACTUALLY stab her or something and THEN learn who she is (then kill himself Romeo+Juliet style) or something truly dramatic.

But instead it was like
Claire: "Hey, you're Karl La Hire aren't you?"
Kal:"how'd you know? oh no! you're nina aren't you?!"
Claire:"yea"
Kal:"That sucks. I'm gonna go mope for a few days. Bye."

I mean I was AT LEAST thinking when she was giving her speech he'd be like an Oswald in one of the buildings and try to shoot her. It seems like the writer probably has bad romantic experiences so he personally is not willing to delve/write a more explosive conflict. If anyone read the manga maybe they can tell if the anime's adding of the "NINA VIENTO!" was not in the manga, because it seems out of place. Like he yells angrily ONLY in his head in the anime it seems, because he didn't shock her or attack her or truly get angry with her.
Jul 29, 2014 6:35 AM
Jun 2014
How did the light novel end?
Aug 25, 2014 12:24 AM

Jun 2009
I'm sure this isn't the end. They wouldn't do this to us.
After all, part three is already out.

Damn... Ari fell in love... I was hoping for Igna.

And seeing Claire being protected by Igna and someone made me feel a lot better.

I knew that chick was a spy.
Sep 13, 2014 2:43 PM
Jun 2012
This show excels at tear jerking, is so-so at romance and has an awful plot. Taken one episode at a time it wasn't bad, thanks to action and characters, but looking back at it as a whole, absurdity of it all is just too much.
Oct 11, 2014 10:31 AM

Nov 2007
So much death...so much sadness...so much crying...so much warfare...I like it...

I only gripe about how almost every anime has the "sister falling in love with the sorta-brother" theme. Can we get an anime that doesn't have that that's pleasing to watch like this?

I want to see a 2nd season that fills to loopholes about the spy and if he makes it.

And WTF no kiss between the two?! Falling short everytime between them...
Oct 14, 2014 10:55 PM

Oct 2013
Damn, just when I thought that this episode was perfect, they completely trashed out Ari's character by making her fall in love with Kal, they both are better with their sibling relationship.

I actually didn't mind the open ending, it was good...but, not the anime itself.

4/10, Ari and Igna were the best.
Dec 6, 2014 12:03 PM

Sep 2012
How was this an open ending? It wasn't just oh... you can think of the main character saving a princess in a castle being saved by a prince. There was alot of questions unanswered and there will probly be a season season or a movie or something. Like.. the owner of the inn was a spy for the sky clan? Who was those two people behind Claire when it showed her when she was inside the place of the clan's sky. Who was the guy that keeps on saving kal-el. We also haven't really seen much of the main couple after they confessed their feelings to each other. Seems like everything is just getting started. Kal-el is an ace pilot now and he can fight. Why are you guys making such fast assumptions. Its such a new anime. You won't know if theres a second season till you wait.
Dec 6, 2014 7:30 PM
Aug 2014
Arrrrghhh open endings. I feel like there was a lack of background info. I mean who are the Sky Clan? What were the stories about them? Why do they defend the place?Do they symbolize something? Even though the people on Isla were technically exiled, why did they actually attempt to reach the End of the Sky? I wished there was a bit more room for the romance aspect as well.

I don't understand why studios continue to adapt 2-3 episodes per volume, they should know by now that the pacing is too fast for character/story development.
derprumeDec 6, 2014 7:46 PM
Jan 3, 2015 7:52 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Kyuutoryuu said:
>Publically says "I love Claire Cruz"
>No Claire Cruz to be seen all episode

Damn I got trolled.

There was a brief scene of her during the ending credits. She was looking out towards the sky, and Ignacio was also there doing his duties as bodyguard.

Well at least we have one confirmed couple. Benji and Sharon.

The enjoyment was high so I'll give it an 8/10. However, I didn't like how the show just killed most of the cast so easily in less than 5 minutes in that one episode.

Ari does indeed love Kal since she says some love songs can't sung. Her love was an impossible one. Ignacio x Ari would be an ok one. She calls him Igna which he doesn't mind.

Kal returns to battle with his new prototype. That was a rather quick return trip. Well, hopefully this show gets an OVA at least and we see Claire back with Kal.

Jan 10, 2015 12:16 AM

May 2012
well i think over all this was a pretty solid series, i wouldnt mind seeing a season 2, but i dont think itll happen, slightly disappointing by the open ended ending though :/
Feb 24, 2015 6:23 AM
Jul 2013
lol this is another contender for shittiest anime of all time
Jul 8, 2015 9:37 PM

Oct 2010
Amarrez said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
YOU WANT CLOSURE?

YOU WANT SATISFYING ENDING?

TOO BAD, HERE OPEN ENDING WITH NO CONTINUATION EVER, FUCK YOU
Kyuutoryuu said:

Damn I got trolled.

That's how I feel too, this final episode seemed so rushed, they could've had another episode or two out of the ending alone. We had a few second glimpse of Claire, really not digging the open ending, so inconclusive... Oh well, maybe that's just how this show had to end.

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Dec 19, 2015 8:43 PM

Nov 2014
Nikoru-san said:
Amarrez said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
YOU WANT CLOSURE?

Kyuutoryuu said:

Damn I got trolled.

That's how I feel too, this final episode seemed so rushed, they could've had another episode or two out of the ending alone. We had a few second glimpse of Claire, really not digging the open ending, so inconclusive... Oh well, maybe that's just how this show had to end.

Yes it the last episodes were rushed, what we really want is a proper closure, we want a satisfying ending, but we will always get an open ending with not much hope to see what will actually happen in the end... The few seconds of Claire was just not enough after he declared that he was going to save her, plus, who was that pilot in the blue plane? Here again, we get an ending that doesn't actually end the story...
Mar 6, 2016 8:52 PM

Aug 2013
Amarrez said:
YOU WANT CLOSURE?

AMEN. SO PISSED RN.
Aug 1, 2016 9:55 PM

Oct 2014
Did all 5 volumes get covered in just 13 episodes??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2016 8:50 AM

Oct 2008
What is up with these plane related series that they always end up as train-wrecks and completely illogical from a story standpoint.

First there was Allison to Lillia ,which writing wise was just terrible as it went on.And now there's this.

Is there some kind of unwritten rule that you have to eventually screw them up no matter what?
Feb 12, 2017 11:09 AM

Oct 2016
Didn't like the ending not giving us closure for Kal and Claire, but I enjoyed the series overall.

Yeah, it sucks Ari lost because she was a great character, but she still did love her brother a lot. People keep saying that wanted Ari to end up with Igna, but neither showed any liking towards each other and Ari loved Kal so much. If at the end, she ended up with Igna, I think that would have been worse. I'd rather a character not end up with someone than be given a shallow "happy" ending.
Feb 27, 2017 2:41 PM
Jan 2017
"Earth is FLAT" - Kryrie Iving
Apr 28, 2017 9:23 AM
Sep 2011
If there is ever an anime that needs at the very least an OVA (MOVIE) to give closure to the anime it's this.

The movie "The Princess and the Pilot" needs a sequel as well.

The way the 2 stories link together is incredible.

And they just leave at that... They leave it with no closure at all...
Jan 24, 2018 7:18 PM

Sep 2009
hmmh... overall? i think it was nice to watch, the ending was kinda open ... so that really sucks, since you be left wondering what happend for some characters etc, since i did enjoy it i gave it 7/10, i liked the art, story or char. development wasnt thaaaaat good i guess, and the ending almost made me lower it 1 point in my rating... huuuuh... i dunno, maybe it does not deserve a 7/10 i tried to get some more information from the LN readers, but i didnt found that much, it seems the LN aswell as the "spin-off" movie, are open ended aswell soo... maybe its the writers fault? well... 7/10 it is.. maybe it'll change after rewatching it sometime in the future. :)

Apr 14, 2018 3:20 PM

Sep 2011
No Claire at the end. What the hell.

Jan 9, 2019 11:39 PM

May 2010
So who the hell is Chiharu's identity? And everyone forgets about Wolfgang??

Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 15, 2019 2:10 AM

Mar 2019
Hmm does anyone remember the start of the first episode? Did they just never even follow up on that scene ever again? Lol
Aug 20, 2019 11:47 AM

Feb 2018
Hhhmmmm... Bad end xD.
Jul 7, 2020 9:04 PM

Apr 2020
Well, a good show that went pretty bad with some unecessary cliches and generic situations (but what anime doesn't have it, right?), but in general was nice.

The ending was one of the worst i've ever seen. So fucking disapointed with that.

A generous 5/10.
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Nov 16, 2020 8:11 PM
Apr 2020
I guess it was an acceptable open ending. I did enjoy it until the end. 8/10 will suffice it :)
Feb 5, 2021 10:54 PM
Sep 2008
I will always remember this anime as "the one with the planes".
Mar 28, 2021 11:57 PM

Dec 2013
I love how his name is kal-el
like, how did i not catch that when i first watched this
I shall destroy and hate mankind
Apr 4, 2021 7:01 PM

May 2016
how the fuck did this get a 7?
at first it was good 7, but not quite a 8. then all down hill from when he learned who nina was.
also who was in that fox plane?

I had to push myself to even watch the last like 3 episodes. THat pissed me off so much when his flashback of his mom telling him to "forgive and not hate" came up. No one would forgive someone like that AND fall in love...

I was hoping for him or claire to die at the end honestly hated both. I only really liked the sister and she got cucked at the end. what a piece of shit anime. it was good at the beginning to which is such a shame...

Jul 6, 2021 6:50 PM

Aug 2014
The anime had its moments like when they were in battle, but the anime also suffered with the slice of life silliness of the beginning.

I do like the sound effects of the planes and when they are flying and in battle.

Romance was sort of cheesy.  I also did NOT like how Ari actually liked Kal and not Ignacio.

As for comparison with the movie, this anime did not have the epicness moments that the movie had, but this anime was OK
oooo3333Mar 26, 10:09 PM
Aug 13, 2023 11:12 PM
Nov 2015
Completed it long time ago! Just updating my list!
Sep 10, 2023 7:34 PM

Apr 2020
This was a fantastic show. Almost want to give it a 10 but that's only because of the enjoyment from it. Realistically, the good parts make it a 7/10 or a 8/10, but I give it personally a 9/10.
I loved all the characters introduced, I like how there was just enough world building but not too much, I love how the characters developed, I thought the art style was okay at first but it flowed very nicely and was pleasant to look at. I love how it has slight references to another story that's set in the same world.

The choices, actions, effects, and consequences of things depicted in the story all for the most part make sense and are plausible. But there are a few moments that aren't plausible or happen because the story says it does, which is alright but would benefit if it ideally received a bit more explanation. Like the heroine's magic powers, but I'm also glad that it didn't become a super magic show.

The people inside the world feel/seem like they belong inside it. There is a bit of religious, nationalist, historical, fantastical elements to the show but they are minor and ingrained into that world. Only time when it felt unrelated was the introduction of Japanese food but that's like "eh whatever, it's fun, it's tasty, doesn't add or detract, why not... let's add ramen!" Maybe there's an actual reason in the books, but either way the story as a whole was colorful, cheerful, exciting, but it remained serious and true to itself.
ow + nw = 90-2000s

Feb 23, 11:16 AM

Aug 2019
Uh hang on, so what was the point of sacrificing Isla? What was the point of that whole trip? If they had never run into Levamme, everyone on Isla would've died. No one would've been able to come back. Am I missing something? LOL

And then they revealed Kal's real identity, he confessed his love, and everyone is just cool with it? Him confessing his love just fixes everything? What even is this...

Also just a slight nitpick here, I know it means nothing and no one cares, but I like how when the picture is taken for their graduation, no one else is there other than the characters we know LOL like all the other students are just gone I guess, or they were killed for defying orders. Although by that logic, all the female characters who were left behind would be dead too...

Oh and the RA (no idea what her name was), is a secret agent... Where did this come from? It's the last episode LMAO is this supposed to mean anything? If you take it out, it means NOTHING. It adds nothing.

Honestly after that secret agent bit I just skipped through the rest. Like none of it seemed interesting at all. I saw how Kal became a knight or something, Chiharu went to visit Mitty's family which I guess was sweet, the rest I really did not care for though.

But that last fight... Why are they fighting? You realize, they have Claire as a hostage... Right? I'm pretty sure Claire is going to be a corpse by the time they reach her, or she'll be at gunpoint. Take your pick. It's Claire and her like 20 guards, against all of the Sky Clan. And by the looks of it they're pretty advanced too.

I genuinely don't know how to feel about this show lol it's like, it had potential. It had potential to be a really cool story if they had just cut out the terrible romance elements and instead focused on the adventure and the world building. There are so many things that just don't make any sense. Their whole trip was pointless, Kal's reveal as the prince makes zero sense(no one's angry that they lost Nina Viento or how the prince of the old royal family is still alive?), the RA being a secret agent makes no sense, and that whole battle at the end makes no sense. If they had given this show more episodes and had made it longer, more things could've been more fleshed out and developed but it just falls flat. This is such a disappointing ending, but I guess it goes well with the rest of the show
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2014

111 by Alkimia »»
Feb 23, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2014

81 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2014

189 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 2:03 PM

» Is it one big love triangle?

Gamewolf - Mar 23, 2014

12 by ZGUEGCHOV »»
Feb 25, 2022 1:23 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2014

133 by Swizze »»
Jun 14, 2019 7:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.