Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Witchcraft Works
Available on Manga Store
New
Is Kagari undeveloped character?
Mar 31, 2014 4:47 AM

Feb 2010
I feel every character in this anime is more interesting than Kagari.
Even Tanpopos/Kasumi's familiars are more interesting even thought they had maybe few minutes in the entire show (I think it was last episode).

Aside her power, she is boring.
She has done only few things that was interesting in this show:

That's all I remember.

So.. Is it bad adaptation of manga, as for that character?

Mar 31, 2014 5:51 AM

Mar 2014
Wannabiteme said:
So.. Is it bad adaptation of manga, as for that character?

No.

The anime is quite a faithful copy of the manga.

Indeed, she is perfectly expressionless. And her feelings can be read only from the very detailed parts. Then seeking her thought is one of the enjoyable points of this work. Actually Kagari has full of emotion as same as the other character.

For example:

If you look carefully, you can understand that many of matters are prepared in 12 episodes. However, for those who prefer a direct representation, or for those who don't want to do it in troublesome, she is trash. Even for those who don't notice that it is a trick of this work, she is trash.
Mar 31, 2014 10:03 AM

Sep 2013
I greatly disagree! Ayaka and her stonewall expression helped make this show great.
Mar 31, 2014 2:54 PM
Jan 2008
The anime is pretty faithful to the manga barring the final scene which shouldn't have had Tanpopo with her other cohorts, but they could easily shoehorn a small change into the beginning of season 2 (if it happens).

It just so happens that no major character developments occurred in chapters 1-27. Well, Takamiya did man up a bit, but that's about it. We've got hints here and there as to what MIGHT occur in the future, but that's about it.

I'm on repeat again (STOP ME GUYS!) but the anime covers chapter 27. The manga has three more "random" chapters (as in not really too important to the plot), then two more that look to be launching the next arc, which seems like it will have a lot of plot revelations. Hell, THE CHAPTER DIRECTLY AFTER THE ANIME ENDED has a major revelation for crying out loud!

What can we gather from this? The manga only has 32 chapters as of this typing, and the anime covered most of them. There hasn't been any further character development in the manga yet, but we just entered an arc, so who knows?

We just have to wait until the 7th (not sure) of each month when the next chapter is released.
Apr 1, 2014 5:49 PM

Aug 2013
She isn't boring, she is just taciturn, and serious. Even though she is stone faced if you pay close attention you can tell what emotion she is expressing. Throughout the anime and manga I've seen her happy, worried, angry and shocked but never sad though.
Apr 3, 2014 4:02 AM

Jun 2013
The thing you have to realize the show is an inverse. Kagari is the stoic male protag who protects adorkable female protag Honoka.

I think people miss this fact, and then always complain about Honoka not manning up and kissing Kagari, when he really plays the role of the chick.
Apr 7, 2014 11:30 AM

Feb 2010
krownklown said:
The thing you have to realize the show is an inverse. Kagari is the stoic male protag who protects adorkable female protag Honoka.

I think people miss this fact, and then always complain about Honoka not manning up and kissing Kagari, when he really plays the role of the chick.

That the thing I haven't realized! Well... at least not 100%

dmrch said:
Wannabiteme said:

If you look carefully, you can understand that many of matters are prepared in 12 episodes. However, for those who prefer a direct representation, or for those who don't want to do it in troublesome, she is trash. Even for those who don't notice that it is a trick of this work, she is trash.

Well, that examples that I and you wrote was ~direct. And it wasn't troublesome to find that scenes. So, I don't understand what kind of "trick of this work" is it.

ZodiacBeast said:

What can we gather from this? The manga only has 32 chapters as of this typing, and the anime covered most of them. There hasn't been any further character development in the manga yet, but we just entered an arc, so who knows?

Hmm... so we can say that "Kagari" might get "interesting emotional development "?
Apr 8, 2014 5:09 AM
Jan 2008
Wannabiteme said:
Hmm... so we can say that "Kagari" might get "interesting emotional development "?

Most likely. It'll be sad if the author doesn't develop her at all and open up her emotions. We don't even know if she has always been like this or if it's related to the incident in her dreams somehow. All we know is that her dream and whatever happened have caused to her to become obsessed with Honoka.

If anything we'll most likely see Kagari's obsession turn into true love at some point or see her become able to express it in more "normal" ways.
Apr 18, 2014 12:25 PM

Aug 2013
Ayaka is a kuudere. Rest assured Honoka will bring out her emotions .
Apr 24, 2014 8:18 PM

Jun 2013
There is nothing to change. I don't understand what is so hard to grasp. Some people are stoic and never show emotions. Its not that they don't feel, they just don't show, and it does not make them any less real. I don't understand why you are trying to equate emotional outburst with character growth, they might be somewhat related, but they are not the same thing.
Apr 29, 2014 11:25 PM

Apr 2013
Despite Kagari not showing any emotions from her face, I do, however, enjoy the heck out of her when she portrays them through her actions and physical behavior. I'm probably in the minority that actually enjoys trying to piece together how a person feels through body motion. I do love facial expressions and all, but you can't help smiling when people like Kagari lower their defenses and start acting like occasional goofballs in love every now and then.

I personally think she was developed well, not great or amazingly though. Had we seen more of their past together and how she was affiliated with Honoka in this season, I feel like the development would have definitely had an upgrade. Hopefully a season 2 will come around when the manga gets further so we can get that.
KOS-MOS_KP-XApr 30, 2014 7:51 AM
Apr 29, 2014 11:30 PM

Aug 2013
KOS-MOS_KP-X said:
Despite Kagari not showing any emotions from her face, I do, however, enjoy the heck out her when she portrays them through her actions and physical behavior. I'm probably in the minority that actually enjoys trying to piece together how a person feels through body motion. I do love facial expressions and all, but you can't help smiling when people like Kagari lower their defenses and start acting like occasional goofballs in love every now and then.

I personally think she was developed well, not great or amazingly though. Had we seen more of their past together and how she was affiliated with Honoka in this season, I feel like the development would have definitely had an upgrade. Hopefully a season 2 will come around when the manga gets further so we can get that.
In the manga right now she is loosening up but still not facially showing emotion.
Apr 30, 2014 7:50 AM

Apr 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
KOS-MOS_KP-X said:
Despite Kagari not showing any emotions from her face, I do, however, enjoy the heck out her when she portrays them through her actions and physical behavior. I'm probably in the minority that actually enjoys trying to piece together how a person feels through body motion. I do love facial expressions and all, but you can't help smiling when people like Kagari lower their defenses and start acting like occasional goofballs in love every now and then.

In the manga right now she is loosening up but still not facially showing emotion.

I'm okay with her not showing facial expressions. If she only does on rare occasions, I think that'll increase the impact more when it actually does happen.
Jun 21, 2014 9:30 AM
May 2012
She really doesn't show many facial expressions, but you can tell what she is thinking or what she feels by looking at what she is doing......that is if you can see and figure it out.
I can see and understand why other people think that she is boring. I personally would love if she would show some facial expressions like blushing, but that straight face of hers has its own charm :3

More topics from this board

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2014

56 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2014

49 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 10:47 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2014

84 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2014

88 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:15 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

118 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 23, 12:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.