Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 6, 2009 1:24 AM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
- starts with short recap of scar battler.
- The epiiic battle.
- Wrath is uber awesome.
- Winry flashback and graveyard scene.
- EPIIIC scar fight.
- The revelation to winry = awesome.
- Gunpoint scene worked good too, even though in manga it was more awesome.
- Ishval flashback!...at the wrong time it should not be there, it takes away from the intensity of gunpoint scene.
- EdWin scene, they did not show the fullview though >_<

4/5
AhenshihaelSep 6, 2009 1:27 AM
Sep 6, 2009 1:29 AM
Mar 2009
Shit, it's out already? I thought it usually isn't broadcast for another few hours.

Sep 6, 2009 1:33 AM

Jul 2008
So, I think that was the less rushed episode so far. Which is very good. :D

So, this episode was Ed/Winry's time to shine. Ed jumping in front of Winry is one of the biggest things he's done so far. He mad himself completely vulnerable without a second thought.

chinlamp said:
Shit, it's out already? I thought it usually isn't broadcast for another few hours.
It finished airing four minutes ago.

BEGINNER
Sep 6, 2009 4:29 AM
Aug 2009
Wow, it was a really sad episode. The first part of Xing VS Homonculy battle was superb. I always liked Lin's fighting style.
The battle with Scar continuous with one of my favourites EdxWinry scenes.
I've been a little suprised about Ishval flashbacks, but overall it fits to this episode.
Marvelous voice acting from Takamoto Megumi and Miyake Kenta! They did a really splendid job in this episode. In the "Truth reveal" scene and Ishval flashback I was feeling sorry for the characters, both Scar and Winry.
Sep 6, 2009 2:22 PM

Nov 2008
Sep 6, 2009 3:03 PM

May 2007
djebforseefirehjgfiers!@#$% Awesome intense episode, I loved every minute. Final Ed/Winry scene was incredibly emotional and touching. And ahhh Ling vs Wrath battle = epic. (Btw is Scar's brother dead for sure? I wonder if he's still alive ><)

Sep 6, 2009 3:11 PM

May 2007
Ling knows Bradley's true identity. Secret finally revealed.

Though some people might see Winry's tears as a bit overdone, it still made me quiver a bit with emotion.
Sep 6, 2009 3:24 PM

Sep 2008
NoyaChan said:
djebforseefirehjgfiers!@#$% Awesome intense episode, I loved every minute. Final Ed/Winry scene was incredibly emotional and touching. And ahhh Ling vs Wrath battle = epic. (Btw is Scar's brother dead for sure? I wonder if he's still alive ><)
I'd imagine that if Scar was going to die due to blood loss from losing his arm, by giving up his own arm, he would die soon enough to... but he lost his destruction arm only... then again, I assume he would have plopped down on the ground with Scar afterwords and would have been rescued if he was still alive.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2009 4:18 PM
Dec 2007
I have mixed feelings about this episode. On the one hand (huhu), the emotional scenes felt over-dramatic and forced (it's a very bad plot string that Winry could arrive right at the middle of the battle between the Elric brothers and Scar when they are speaking about the death of her parents... Really really bad, so bad that the scriptwriters are probably feeling ashamed right now), but on the other hand, most of the episode, and especially the first few scenes with Ling and the Fuhrer, and of course the flashback, were great and well directed. So I guess this 22nd ep was less impressive than the last two or three ones, but still not that bad.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 6, 2009 4:21 PM

Feb 2009
Nice episode, the action scenes were good and Winry crying at the end was very touching. ;_;
Sep 6, 2009 4:26 PM

Jul 2009
The episode started off awesome but ended a bit meh

Good flashback scene that show why Scars hatred is justified and that he's really not that bad of a guy. I mean who wouldn't be pissed in his situation.

Frankly a find the whole Winry scene to be a bit forced and out of place.
First she have a dream about her parents then when she's out for a stroll she more or less just stumbles upon the battle at the exact moment when Edward reveals that Scard killed her parents.
The girl breaks down and start crying and oh behold there's a gun on the ground, lying conveniently next to her.

I mean come on that's too many "coincides" in the span of ~5minutes.

Though I have to admit it was rather emotional and cute when Edward tells her, that her hands where meant for giving life not taking it away.
Sep 6, 2009 4:28 PM

Nov 2008
Jacut said:
I have mixed feelings about this episode. On the one hand (huhu), the emotional scenes felt over-dramatic and forced (it's a very bad plot string that Winry could arrive right at the middle of the battle between the Elric brothers and Scar when they are speaking about the death of her parents... Really really bad, so bad that the scriptwriters are probably feeling ashamed right now), but on the other hand, most of the episode, and especially the first few scenes with Ling and the Fuhrer, and of course the flashback, were great and well directed. So I guess this 22nd ep was less impressive than the last two or three ones, but still not that bad.

lol yeah......that winry scene in the manga was much better.
Sep 6, 2009 4:41 PM

Jul 2007
!@#$%^&*().... One more week for Xing's battle. SIGH
Sep 6, 2009 4:49 PM

Jan 2009
Great episode, Scar not need of alchemy to be a monster in the fights :O
What disappointed me a little was the Kimbley not say anything, but anyway, it was a great episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2009 5:01 PM

Nov 2007
The back story of Scar was great, very detailed.
Too bad it was focus on his,
I want to watch Ling/Bradley fight

Great episode, too bad it ended so quick.
Sep 6, 2009 5:12 PM

Jun 2008
An emotional episode and a few cool fighting moments. Generally not bad. Ling was really good with the sword. Scar's brother really took literally the definition of "Giving someone a hand" and Scar looks like he was a monster even before he had alchemy.

I was really surprised on how well the ending song was fitting to the moment of Winry crying.
She started crying her heart out and then the ending song starts with the lyrics saying "Let it all out, let it all out". Like it was planned or something.

Big fights continue on next episode. Can't wait.

On further news, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is facing cancellation due to unrepresented cruelty to animals. Green Piece is planning a big protest and the UN are already evaluating the situation.
The director of the show Irie Yasuhiro claims that it was just a mistake. As he said in a live radio interview "We just didn't notice the cat was there".
An excuse that does not put in piece all the animal rights activists organizations. A member of the Japanese activist organization "ALIVE" even went as far as calling him the Antichrist and Brotherhood as the work of the devil.
The despicable event is shown in the pic below.
MonadSep 7, 2009 3:20 PM
Sep 6, 2009 5:21 PM

Jul 2008
i was awaiting epic fighting, but got awesome back story, works that too..

hate to see winry cry :'(
Sep 6, 2009 5:54 PM

Aug 2009
Well I would have to say this is one of the better episodes so far, even though the Ishval flashback is misplaced...it really DOES take away the intensity of the gunpoint scene. The manga version is still better.

The EdxWin at the end sort of makes up for it though.Ii'm just saddened Ranfan did not get to fight Envy at all before the fight with Wrath.

The preview looks good. Can't wait to see the next ep.

Sep 6, 2009 5:58 PM

Dec 2008
This episode made me cry.. ;_ ;
Sep 6, 2009 6:06 PM

May 2008
Sweet Fight sequence.
winry and Ed moment was great.

i cried manly tears.
Sep 6, 2009 6:11 PM

Apr 2008
Good thing Winry nvr pull the trigger o_o

that was kinda dangerous

Sep 6, 2009 6:13 PM

Jun 2008
Monad said:

I was really surprised on how well he ending song was fitting to the moment of Winry crying.
She started crying her heart out and then the ending song starts with the lyrics saying "Let it all out, let it all out". Like it was planned or something.

yeah, the ending of the episode connected really nicely with the ED, I liked that
Sep 6, 2009 6:40 PM

May 2008
Looks like more fighting will be coming next

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Sep 6, 2009 8:38 PM

Apr 2009
Kind of sad we didn't get to see Ling/Wrath and Ran Fan, but that'll be next week I suppose.
Thought they handled the episode quite well. Ed/Winry was touching, and I like what they did with Scar flashback.
Sep 6, 2009 8:59 PM

Nov 2008
Good episode, but I thought the manga's take on the Winry-Scar scene was much better and a lot more emotional. Mostly because Scar's backstory was just there at the wrong time and killed the mood of the scene a little. Eh, oh well.
Sep 6, 2009 9:16 PM
Mar 2009
Well, I think that they had to put the flashback in this episode. They weren't gonna get a chance to put it in anywhere else.

I also don't think that the next episode will be all that devoted to the Ling/Wrath fight. The previews seemed pretty evenly devoted to both that fight and Ed & Al's continued fight with Scar. Which means that the next ep will probably be more of Ling running from Wrath trying to get away, and mostly concerned with Scar vs. Ed, with the episode two weeks from now focusing on Ling's battle.

Which, though sucky, will probably be how it goes as this series is centred around Ed & Al, not Ling.

As has been said, the final scene tied into the ending almost perfectly, and the EdxWinry moment was pretty cool, although the art looked a bit screwed up on Ed's face at the last moment there.

Great ep in my opinion, probably one of the best ones this season.

Sep 6, 2009 9:51 PM
Mar 2009
One word that sums this whole episode:

EPIC

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
Sep 6, 2009 9:57 PM
Mar 2009
kkmaster1337 said:
One word that sums this whole episode:

EPIC

You just set yourself up to be ass-rape quoted by the haters, you know that, right?

Sep 6, 2009 10:46 PM

Dec 2008
EternalDreamer said:
Frankly a find the whole Winry scene to be a bit forced and out of place.
First she have a dream about her parents then when she's out for a stroll she more or less just stumbles upon the battle at the exact moment when Edward reveals that Scard killed her parents.
The girl breaks down and start crying and oh behold there's a gun on the ground, lying conveniently next to her.

I mean come on that's too many "coincides" in the span of ~5minutes.

LOL I had a similar feeling, to be honest, especially with the gun. I was like, "Oh, lookie! A gun just a foot away from her hand when she finds out who killed her parents. How convenient for revenge!"

Good episode, but not the best. Good points included the Ling v.s. Fuhrer fight (solid animation, as usual, and exciting to watch overall), great Ed x Winry moment (it earned a solid "Aww!" from me, and I loved the whole juxtaposition with the hands - Ed's metal hand that fights and Winry's soft gentle hands), and we finally get a good explanation of Scar's history.

However, I'm not entirely sure if I was a fan of the desaturated colours of the flashback. I liked seeing the bright blue of the Amestrisians eyes to contrast the Ishbalans' red, but other than that, the monotonous colour palette didn't really add anything but rather seemed to take away in most instances. Perhaps it needed more interesting use of light and shadow, like in film noir? Ah, well, just a small nitpicky matter from me. My only other complaint was that Winry's breakdown in the very final scene seemed a bit overdone. I always find silent/quiet tears more heartwrenching for some reason, but I guess Winry had a reason to cry that much. Still, the seiyuu didn't convince me 100%.
Sep 7, 2009 12:04 AM

Jan 2009
So, Ling suddenly shows some skills there : O
And in Winry's dream about when he parents left for the war, I think her mother looked kinda like Hawkeye xD (What I'm saying is that there's a similarity, it's nothing important)
And it seems Scar was a potent fighter already long ago : o
And apparantly, he didn't kill the Rockbells in cold-blooded murder, but instead in a rampaging rage, k hax.
And the last scene, was .. quite touching.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Sep 7, 2009 2:37 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
i wanted more fighting and fewer flashbacks but I still enjoyed the episode, especially the last scene :]
p r o f i l e 👀
Sep 7, 2009 3:41 AM

Apr 2009
T.T It was so sad... the Ishbalan thing, and about hatred resulting to revenge and revenge being an endless chain of hatred... It was a really great ep!

Those sad things aside, Ling showed his slick moves there, I didn't see that coming! I had the impression that he was incapable of fighting. I also loved his " a king lives for his people" speech. It was short, yet, it really hit me. He was really cool back there!

BTW, Ed X Win scene was very cute~ of course, it still can't beat the Roy X Hawkeye scene a few eps ago >.<
Silent_FollowerSep 7, 2009 3:44 AM
Sep 7, 2009 4:45 AM

Jul 2007
Loved this episode so much more than the last, way better transition of comedic moments.
Sep 7, 2009 5:09 AM

Jul 2008
A great episode. I don't care how many coincidences there are, as long as they serves the purpose of making the emotion stronger. Both the flashback, the gunpoint scene and EdxWin moment were awesomely done.
Sep 7, 2009 6:00 AM

Nov 2007
Nice battle. Sad ending. Great ED song.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Sep 7, 2009 6:12 AM

Feb 2008
Quite a decent episode. Especially liked the flask back scene where they focused and kinda highlighted on the colour of their eyes. Blue, red, green, yellow.

A bit disgusted with "Oh so good Winry timing" scene though..
Sep 7, 2009 6:36 AM

Jul 2008
Wow, this episode was awesome !
Have to say that I cried a little when Winry was crying over her parents' death ;w;♥ And Scar's past was as interesting as in the manga, good work.

Sep 7, 2009 6:45 AM

Jul 2009
Pretty amazing episode. The flashback with Scar was intense
Sep 7, 2009 6:56 AM

Jun 2009
Great episode, Need to wait another week. :(
Sep 7, 2009 8:12 AM

Jul 2008
hmm lol Ling can fight =D

hmm so with he flashback we learn more bout the war that went on..
pretty good episode overall XD
Sep 7, 2009 9:24 AM
May 2008
Good episode, not too much going on but I feel that the presentation of the backstory was handled well. Also, was it just me or did the ending theme fit in oh so conveniently with the context of the ending of this episode... coincidence, I think not.

Also, Ling being badass was brilliant but too short... needs more badassery by Ling.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Sep 7, 2009 9:37 AM

Jun 2008
NeloDeath said:
Also, was it just me or did the ending theme fit in oh so conveniently with the context of the ending of this episode... coincidence, I think not.

No it was only you. We couldn't possibly have such skills to notice such details. It's not like we talked about it from the first page.

WHY the fuck to you ask if it was only you if you don't read at least a few of the previews posts?
MonadSep 7, 2009 9:59 AM
Sep 7, 2009 10:11 AM

Jul 2007
Monad said:

WHY the fuck to you ask if it was only you if you don't read at least a few of the previews posts?

Thats called "figure of speech" .

Person using "Is it just me or..."does not necesarily want to imply that he is the first or ask something.
Sep 7, 2009 10:27 AM

Jun 2008
Fai said:
Monad said:

Thats called "figure of speech" .

Person using "Is it just me or..."does not necesarily want to imply that he is the first or ask something.

It's a figure of speech that can be used only if you are gone say something the others weren't talking about. Can you imagine sitting with your friend and talking about the new car one of them bought and after a while they were going at it you open your mouth and say "Hey guys is it just me or did John bought a new car?".
Obviously they will think you are an idiot.
Sep 7, 2009 11:19 AM

Apr 2009
the flashback was the best part of the episode.

also this
Sep 7, 2009 11:20 AM

Jan 2009
smokes said:
also this

Yep, I finally realized that this guy really is awesome : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Sep 7, 2009 11:55 AM

Dec 2008
That was pretty awesome. I was literally at the edge of my seat, just staring at the screen.

Scenes I specifically liked:

When Ling sliced the top of Gluttony's head - the few seconds of the blood flying through the air was awesome!

The flashback with Scar was so emotional. I loved how they put a lot of emphasis on the blue eyes - had a very nice effect especially when Scar was waking up and the Rockbells kept on appearing and disappearing before his eyes. This brings me to another point. I thought it was just amazing how I was able to feel such extreme sorrow in the scene when the Rockbells were killed and anger at Scar for killing them - then 2 seconds later I feel extreme compassion towards Scar as he screams in horror at the result of the war. Truly beautifully done.

Love the compare and contrast with Ed protecting Winry - also had a nice effect :P

And of course the ending scene with Ed and Winry was really touching :( I really appreciate how well the ending song fits in with the scene. I could literaly still hear Winry crying as the ending song played "Let it all out, let it all out" TT___TT

Looking forward to next episode, the only disappointing thing about this episode was that there was very little of the battle between Wrath and Ling :P
Sep 7, 2009 12:26 PM

Jan 2009
robbydesu said:
When Ling sliced the top of Gluttony's head - the few seconds of the blood flying through the air was awesome!
[...]
Looking forward to next episode, the only disappointing thing about this episode was that there was very little of the battle between Wrath and Ling :P

That scene, was awesome, yes, it was, really, I mean it, seriously, although, this sentence, is starting to, make kinda, no sense, at all, tl;dr, the scene was awesome : D
And the episode needs more Ling vs. Wrath *nods*
Sep 7, 2009 12:27 PM

Dec 2008
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
[...]

That scene, was awesome, yes, it was, really, I mean it, seriously, although, this sentence, is starting to, make kinda, no sense, at all, tl;dr, the scene was awesome : D
Are....are you okay o__o....are you losing energy? *gives THREE COOKIES*
Sep 7, 2009 12:29 PM

Jan 2009
robbydesu said:
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
[...]

Are....are you okay o__o....are you losing energy? *gives THREE COOKIES*

*chews on the cookies*
Yep, Awesome's the word, kthnx : D
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 15, 8:13 PM

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Apr 15, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

343 by Nicolay18 »»
Apr 13, 1:34 AM

» Why doesn’t Lust show more lust? ( 1 2 )

lordJahoo - Apr 2

50 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 11, 6:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.