Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 30, 2014 8:23 AM
Mar 2014
This is something I've wondered about for a while. Sorry if the question sounds stupid. Why does something qualify as seinen? I get that its target demographic is adult males and I get why Berserk and Gantz fall under the genre. But why does work of Shinobu Kaitani qualify as seinen? I've seen One Outs and it has a fantastic Psychological Thriller story but so did Death Note but the latter doesn't qualify nor does Mirai Nikki. I was just wondering why?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 30, 2014 8:25 AM

Aug 2012
Because they are not aimed for adults
Mar 30, 2014 8:26 AM

Sep 2012
I read that as semen anime for some reason.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 30, 2014 8:27 AM

Jul 2011
Being published in a seinen magazine
Mar 30, 2014 8:28 AM

Aug 2011
It's gotta be super grim, dark, edgy and mature. K-ON! is the perfect example of this.
Mar 30, 2014 8:28 AM

Nov 2013
Death Note and Mirai Nikki were published in shonen magazines. One Outs was not. That's pretty much it.
Mar 30, 2014 8:30 AM

Jun 2012
Praland said:
-Tien- said:
Death Note and Mirai Nikki were published in shonen magazines. One Outs was not. That's pretty much it.
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Mar 30, 2014 8:30 AM

Sep 2013
The questions not stupid at all as I asked a while back and nobody could give me an answer other than "its not marketed to adolescent boys." Speaking from experience, both shonen and seinen can have gore, swearing, and nudity so IMO its only the elitists that care to separate the 2.
Mar 30, 2014 8:31 AM

Nov 2010
Old_Raven said:
The questions not stupid at all as I asked a while back and nobody could give me an answer other than "its not marketed to adolescent boys." Speaking from experience, both shonen and seinen can have gore, swearing, and nudity so IMO its only the elitists that care to separate the 2.
The only answer is that the manga was a seinen manga. That's all that makes something a shounen or a seinen, who it's aimed to.
Mar 30, 2014 8:33 AM

Aug 2012
It's seinen if it's marketed as seinen. It has nothing to do with the actual content of the show.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Mar 30, 2014 8:34 AM

Oct 2010
mitch3315 said:
It's gotta be super grim, dark, edgy and mature. K-ON! is the perfect example of this.

You forgot that it has to deal with and elaborate complicated philosophical concepts that trascend common perception. Just like Chi's sweet home.
Mar 30, 2014 8:41 AM

Aug 2011
jal90 said:
mitch3315 said:

You forgot that it has to deal with and elaborate complicated philosophical concepts that trascend common perception. Just like Chi's sweet home.

I didn't think this was the right place to start the overly philosophical debate surrounding fun things being fun.
Mar 30, 2014 8:46 AM

Mar 2013
Old_Raven said:
i will give you an answer. shonen anime is targeted at a young male (under 18) demographic while seinen anime is targeted at an older male (18+) demographic. that is also why seinen is considered darker and more "mature" but like they mentioned above age =/= maturity and k-on is a seinen.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Mar 30, 2014 8:56 AM

Jun 2011
The only difference is that one is in a seinen magazine, the other is in a shounen magazine. If blood and gore were really the only thing that made something "seinen", then stuff like Hokuto no Ken would be considered that (even though it's published in Weekly Shounen Jump). I actually think it's the less experienced fans who separate the two.
Demographic tags have nothing to do with the content. Death Note is shounen and K-ON is seinen, for instance.

Mar 30, 2014 9:04 AM

Jan 2014
shonen - teenage angst and yelling, lots of yelling
Seinen - not so much yelling

that's my best shot at describing the difference, I'd probably go with everyone else's answer though
Mar 30, 2014 9:06 AM

Jun 2011
gombo said:
shonen - teenage angst

I immediately thought of Evangelion, which is technically both if you consider the manga. It was in a shounen magazine at first but transitioned into a seinen magazine later on.

Mar 30, 2014 9:06 AM

Mar 2013
nudity
Mar 30, 2014 9:07 AM

Mar 2013
gombo said:

that's my best shot at describing the difference, I'd probably go with everyone else's answer though
I desagree....
Read bokurano and narutaru
Mar 30, 2014 9:07 AM

Sep 2012
gombo said:

that's my best shot at describing the difference.

This is completely wrong. I'm sure you can do better.
Mar 30, 2014 9:09 AM
Sep 2013
What is about those original anime and anime adapted from LNs?
Mar 30, 2014 9:26 AM

Oct 2010
mitch3315 said:
jal90 said:
mitch3315 said:

I didn't think this was the right place to start the overly philosophical debate surrounding fun things being fun.

Existential minimalism at its best.
Mar 30, 2014 9:28 AM

Feb 2013
The magazine they are published on.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Mar 30, 2014 9:42 AM

Jan 2013
Fun things are fun.
Seinen is seinen.
There is no need for an explanation.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 30, 2014 9:46 AM

Mar 2012
umashikaneko said:
They are neither, because seinen and shonen demographics only apply to manga.
Mar 30, 2014 9:58 AM
Sep 2013
yazio said:
umashikaneko said:
They are neither, because seinen and shonen demographics only apply to manga.

It makes sense,thank you.
Mar 30, 2014 10:11 AM

Apr 2012
mitch3315 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxX0B8-ohto
Mar 30, 2014 10:43 AM
Jul 2018
More suggestive themes and...

Marketing.
Mar 30, 2014 11:01 AM

Jan 2014
The difference is so that elitist can be proud of something.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 30, 2014 12:26 PM

Jun 2011
nucleon said:
Seinen is closer to reality, less use of cheats like superpower and magic to solve problems, and with the main stage being after graduation from school. Often, the problems are not even solved.
Like Monster, Master Keaton, Team Medical Dragon - they rely on knowledge and skills.

Then how about stuff like Berserk? That is also seinen yet takes place in a world with demons and stuff.

Mar 30, 2014 12:31 PM

Jan 2014
SolBlade said:
nucleon said:
Seinen is closer to reality, less use of cheats like superpower and magic to solve problems, and with the main stage being after graduation from school. Often, the problems are not even solved.
Like Monster, Master Keaton, Team Medical Dragon - they rely on knowledge and skills.

Then how about stuff like Berserk? That is also seinen yet takes place in a world with demons and stuff.

Fantasy can still be realistic i.e consistent within the logic of its own fictional universe, almost all shonen break the consistency more so than not.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2014 12:36 PM

Jun 2011
judals said:
SolBlade said:
nucleon said:

Fantasy can still be realistic i.e consistent within the logic of its own fictional universe, almost all shonen break the consistency more so than not.

Yeah, but he was talking about things close to our reality, such as Monster, which take place in our world.

Mar 30, 2014 1:07 PM

Jun 2011
nucleon said:
SolBlade said:
judals said:
SolBlade said:
nucleon said:

Yeah, but he was talking about things close to our reality, such as Monster, which take place in our world.

Berserk is harder to define as it allowed fantasy in the world.
If you ask me what is a typical seinen, it would be the 3 I mentioned and not Berserk.

Some parts of it fit in seinen: Gutts does not have much super power in the beginning, he's powerful but mainly physical. The main story was about the mature man, joining a mercenary and those wars were fought with largely melee and tactics. But the later stories added magic to the main party and made it even blurrer like a Harry Porter adventure.

A counterpart would be Claymore where most characters got some special abilities. It still got some dark stories but would be placed in shounen.

I see. Though not all seinen are the same, same goes for the other demographics. The reason I say this is because it's not a genre.
Though I can see the Claymore/Berserk comparison. They are both dark fantasy but appeal to a different demographic, thus being separated.

Mar 30, 2014 2:07 PM

Feb 2013
revengerofdeath said:
gombo said:

I desagree....
Read bokurano and narutaru
narutaru has little yelling
i only saw the bokurano anime, but the yelling was on par with other mecha series
Mar 30, 2014 2:16 PM

Nov 2011
This is what makes a seinen a seinen.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fL_ay0F5qcs
Mar 30, 2014 2:21 PM

Jun 2011
BlackSabotage said:

Killing children takes ball, yo.
Though isn't Violence Jack shounen?

Mar 30, 2014 2:35 PM

Mar 2014
SolBlade said:
BlackSabotage said:

Ofc it is, this is real seinen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ac7GnUUy80
Mar 30, 2014 2:37 PM

Jul 2011
AzuStar said:
SolBlade said:
BlackSabotage said:

Ofc it is, this is real seinen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ac7GnUUy80

Since it was published in a seinen magazine, yes
Mar 30, 2014 2:38 PM

Jan 2014
baki502 said:
mitch3315 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxX0B8-ohto

this is perfect
Mar 30, 2014 2:40 PM

Nov 2011
SolBlade said:
BlackSabotage said:

It was originally published in a Shounen magazine but in the 80s it got published in a seinen mag thus the content got much more graphic and focus on plot weakened.
Mar 31, 2014 11:59 AM
Mar 2014
So basically it comes down to the type of magazine the story's published in. I always thought there was something more concrete to differentiate the two. Anyway thanks for all the replies
Mar 31, 2014 12:07 PM

Jul 2012
cripes now you are an elitiist merely for liking the genre labeled seinen?
whats next?
from what i read on this board over time all you need to do to be an elitist is watch ANY show
Mar 31, 2014 12:26 PM
Jul 2013
Is Code Geass a seinen?
Mar 31, 2014 12:28 PM

Jul 2012
I think its just a term for who the company wants to sell these anime to. Anime may not necessarily have similarities that differentiate between intended demographics.
Mar 31, 2014 12:41 PM

Jun 2011
Sung-Hwan said:
Is Code Geass a seinen?

No. In fact, since it's an original it's impossible to tell exactly what demographic it's aiming at. Though if I had to guess, it'd probably have a similar demographic as Death Note, which would make it shounen (just speculation on my part, take it with a grain of salt). But CG has no official tag as it doesn't have a source material. So it's safe to say that it can appeal to multiple demographics.

Mar 31, 2014 12:46 PM

Feb 2010
Praland said:

Why didn't the thread end at that point?
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 31, 2014 1:41 PM

Oct 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Praland said:

Why didn't the thread end at that point?

Because mitch and I had to make the joke, that's why.
jal90Mar 31, 2014 1:46 PM
Mar 31, 2014 2:05 PM

Aug 2012
daintybiscuit said:
whats next?
from what i read on this board over time all you need to do to be an elitist is watch ANY show
What? Who said that? All we were doing was joking about the nonexistent relationship between the "seinen" label and the content of the show.

You're only an elitist if you look down on people with inferior taste.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Mar 31, 2014 2:10 PM

Jun 2007
High_Five_Ghost said:
This is something I've wondered about for a while. Sorry if the question sounds stupid. Why does something qualify as seinen? I get that its target demographic is adult males and I get why Berserk and Gantz fall under the genre. But why does work of Shinobu Kaitani qualify as seinen? I've seen One Outs and it has a fantastic Psychological Thriller story but so did Death Note but the latter doesn't qualify nor does Mirai Nikki. I was just wondering why?

Seinen is a manga-specific demographic label which is determined by what magazine publishes the work. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the CONTENT of the work. This is why things like K-ON and Mikakunin are seinen, and why shows you believe "should be seinen" may not be. It has nothing to do with anything that is in the story, the way it's drawn, the types of characters, being "mature" or not, having gore or violence, being serious, being 'realistic', nor anything else.

So what EXACTLY makes a seinen a seinen? The magazine it is published in and absolutely NOTHING else.

I'm totally sure someone else has probably said something along these lines, so take this as a +1 type of post for anyone who has.

daintybiscuit said:
whats next?

Seinen is not a genre, also "genre labeled seinen" makes no sense given a genre is a label by definition - so it's kind of redundant (as well as wrong) to say "genre labeled ____".
Mar 31, 2014 2:15 PM
Apr 2013
because that should be called "from seinen magazine" instead of simply called seinen?
I believe it's a term created with an intention to confuse the others. And I think there exists anime which were not even published in magazine first.
Mar 31, 2014 2:18 PM

Jun 2007
nucleon said:
And I think there exists anime which were not even published in magazine first.

There are, and they do not use manga demographics. Seinen is a demographic specifically made for printed media, not for animation or film.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

70 by omorashi »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

210 by perseii »»
12 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

34 by joseifan »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

125 by logopolis »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

36 by Acctra »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.