Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2014 6:46 AM
Dec 2008
Ckan said:
Heibi said:
The series was actually supposed to be around 52 episodes in length. There would have been more story involving space and Jamil's rival on the other side. But it just didn't have the popularity of Gundam Wing and was showing directly opposite another popular series. Bummer.
The lost possibility of Gundam shows always gets to me (X, CCA, F91). A little ironic that first-Gundam was also cancelled, but its ending turned into something amazing.

Especially in F91's case. It was originally supposed to be a TV series. You can see that in the way the film seems to suddenly jump in to a situation, turncoats suddenly appearing, information being known before we've seen anything about it, etc....
Nov 30, 2014 10:38 PM

Jun 2012
2nd best gundam ive seen. I cant believe Roybea got with Ennil tho. That pairing came out of nowhere. Well Roybea and Witz are best buds and Tonya and Ennil are best buds so it kind of works, but ehh its a bit of a stretch.

I didnt think the Frost bros would survive. It doesnt really fit their characters either, well assuming they turned good or just less crazy.

Jamil with his glasses off looked awesome.

So newtypes are just an illusion? Created by humanity's desire for special powers? I wonder if that holds true for the Universal Century or just this expanded universe? Hmm... just when Im near the end of my gundam adventure more questions pop up.
Feb 3, 2015 6:10 PM

Mar 2010
Just finished watching it and I really loved this series. Alongside the First Gundam, this one is my favorite entry in the series so far (watched all of the Universal Century except ZZ and the MS Igloo OVAs, G Gundam and Turn A).

I'm actually glad it has only 39 episodes instead of 50, so the story didn't felt dragged for me. It's crazy to think that even though this was cancelled, they actually managed to make a really good ending (and a really good series overall) with the few resources they had at their hands.

Pros:
- Excellent character development for the majority of the cast
- very good action scenes
- Good pacing. Not too slow, but not so rushed.
- One of the best stories of the franchise, IMO
- Actually one of the few love stories I really liked in the franchise so far.
- Awesome Mobile Suit design

Cons:
- I kinda dislike the main villains, but well... that's actually the point of them being the way they are, I think.
Feb 14, 2015 2:23 PM

Jul 2010
The implied pairing with Roybea and Ennil is just so ridiculous it's funny, they had like zero interactions in all 39 episodes. The rest I was fine with, happy ending for everyone.

First half was horrible but the second half was much better so I'll give it 6/10.
Mar 7, 2015 11:38 AM

Oct 2008
Easily one of the better entries in the Gundam franchise ,has a few flaws (especially how the last part felt very rushed) but its still extremely solid overall.
Mar 26, 2015 10:06 AM
Dec 2008
amateur said:
Easily one of the better entries in the Gundam franchise ,has a few flaws (especially how the last part felt very rushed) but its still extremely solid overall.

Yes, the last part was rushed. They had determined that it wasn't popular enough and decided to end it. There were originally supposed to be around 50 episodes or so. The space portion was shortened. But all in all I thought they did a great job. Otherwise we(CA) would never have subbed it.
Feb 16, 2017 1:58 AM

Dec 2009
One of the best Gundams I've seen. I absolutely loved the cast of characters, especially that cutesy love between Tiffa and Garrod. Although this was short for a Gundam series, I didn't feel like it was rushed or that the pacing was bad at the end. It did feel short but not badly paced.

Also, that meeting with the first newtype was epic but tragic. Kind of states that the entire war was fought over an illusion. Anyways, the way the series ended was one of Gundam's best. 10/10.

One small complaint though, the only story arc I found boring was with that city-state country where the young prince was clueless on what to do. They should have lengthened the final arc and cut that one short.
Mar 4, 2017 7:56 PM

Jul 2013
A really great series it is arguably the best alternate universe Gundam series out there, definitely in my top 5 with 0079,0080 WITP, Zeta, and Thunderbolt.

I loved most of the characters and was actually interested in the character building episodes. The Witz and Roybea episode was one of the best character development episodes I have ever seen in anime.

Garrod is actually a really great protagonist though there's still the traditional episode where the main gundam pilot leaves the crew and comes back when they are in trouble. However after that its near perfect and I love his interactions with the crew and Tiffa.

What I really like about this gundam is that they aren't afraid to have episodes where the main gundams aren't deployed and it really gives a breath of fresh air.

The mech designs are good such a shame they don't release much gunpla for the series heck there are some major character mechs and grunt suits that have not officially been released by bandai. I would rather see those than the 20th 144 hg rendition of Exia and strike freedom.

Music is great though It is a bit odd they have the preview play during the end track but its a minor gripe.

The gundams, while they are powerful machines, they never feel over powered besides the flash cannon but even then its something so devastating that the main characters are against using it all hunky dory.

A big issue that I do have is with the Frost brothers. I am not annoyed that they are always pestering the main cast but I really wish they had more back story and their motivation was better if like the old federation massacred a bunch of category F people due to them not being of use rather than the frost brothers feeling ignored.

Also big ups for the main gundam pilot not having supernatural abilities, his sheer determination to survive gets him through is opposition.

But yeah this was a really great gundam series aside from the Frost brothers.

8.5/10
ali12345456Mar 4, 2017 8:05 PM
Feb 3, 2018 11:28 AM
Oct 2009
What a weak show. The DOME guys explanation on things was so terrible that it literally made no sense. The show never answered any of its questions. "Newtypes are illusions" how fucking stupid is this writing? What does this even mean? The show leads up to to this confrontation and the guy just babels on nonsense. "You don't have to be a newtype if you don't want to just lay down the term." Holy hell wtf. The show was pointless.

The Frost brothers were lame all the way to the end. They had terrible motivations. This is one of the worst gundams I've ever seen so far. And fuck the filler Dolphin episodes. Perhaps if they hadn't so much shit like that it wouldn't have gotten canceled.

Sep 8, 2018 7:00 AM
Aug 2017
I give this show a 10!
Dec 27, 2018 6:59 AM

Mar 2016
Certainly not the underrated gem I was promised. Half the episodes were awful, the rest were between okay and solid. Everything after the terrible ocean episodes and between the first trip to space, were a good bunch of episodes. Was expecting more out of the post-apocalyptic Earth setting since the fact that they spent the majority of the run time on Earth was one reason why I watched it. The Freeden crew started out promising, grew tiresome. Most of the characters were boring, Tiffa especially, but I think the majority of viewers are just happy that there was a 'romance.' Ennil is hot.

Character motivations were hilariously superficial. And for a franchise that is about the futility of war and the tragedy that is the cycle of violence and hatred, the characters are shown in a heroic light, despite the fact that half of the time they are massacring others for no real reason other than that they're in the area. At least Garrod never said, 'if you weren't here, I wouldn't have to kill you.'

The ending was interesting I guess, especially how they handled Newtypes, or 'Newtypes.' Though taking what D.O.M.E. says literally, it does sound kind of silly, but I get what he means.

Overall, forgettable and disappointing. The only TV Gundam I've seen that I have strong negative feeling about.
syncrogazerDec 27, 2018 7:21 AM
Aug 3, 2019 5:04 PM

Jun 2013
Somente kill these brothers please.
Jan 13, 2020 2:02 PM

Aug 2008
Would have been a better plot twist if glowing newtype ball grab its pocket, pulled out his gun and shoot everyone in the room. It would have been hysterical.

First Newtype: "WILD CARD BITCHES!"
Apr 3, 2020 9:52 AM

Jun 2015
DeathfireD said:
shakeyourpup45 said:
What did D.O.M.E mean?

About "The Answer"

Reasons behind "The Answer":

The series was actually cut short... so yes, the ending was rushed. At the time it was aired in japan really late at night and did poorly because of this.

No it wasn't. It aired at the same time as some previous series (late afternoon). Why the rating decreased so much is a mystery.
May 10, 2020 6:57 AM

May 2012
cheeko_gal said:
What a weak show. The DOME guys explanation on things was so terrible that it literally made no sense. The show never answered any of its questions. "Newtypes are illusions" how fucking stupid is this writing? What does this even mean? The show leads up to to this confrontation and the guy just babels on nonsense. "You don't have to be a newtype if you don't want to just lay down the term." Holy hell wtf. The show was pointless.

The Frost brothers were lame all the way to the end. They had terrible motivations. This is one of the worst gundams I've ever seen so far. And fuck the filler Dolphin episodes. Perhaps if they hadn't so much shit like that it wouldn't have gotten canceled.

>The DOME guys explanation on things was so terrible that it literally made no sense. The show never answered any of its questions. "Newtypes are illusions" how fucking stupid is this writing? What does this even mean?

As the first special person that developed esper-like abilities to sense surroundings and communicate telepathically, he/it was saying that the term "newtype" is just a construct that humans made to put all the special people with powers under an umbrella so they could be a point of conflict - are they or aren't they the future because of these said abilities? So in that sense, Newtypism could have been just an illusion created by humanity to further agendas. In the end, a human being, be one who has special abilities or not, must create his own future that is why DOME cited Garrod as an example. I disagree that the show was pointless if we take its stand on evolved people and apply it to our world.

>Frost brothers

They're definitely not my favorite villains but they were not lame from to start to finish. Just not well paced. The show kept on repeatedly telling us that they are spurned because they are not compatible with the Flash system so they make up all these schemes to wreak havoc on everybody that doesn't agree with them. Quite the selfish motivation but it just so happens to conflict with Garrod's ideals, thus they clash.

May 25, 2020 5:58 AM

Jan 2013
OMG I was so disappointed when I saw the brothers at the end... I thought Garrod's Satellite Cannon had wiped them out and i got so hype but nope... That's my only gripe with this show lol. Ennil x Roebea was random as hell as well. 8/10
Jun 14, 2020 7:20 PM

May 2014
Switch_Z said:
DeathfireD said:

The series was actually cut short... so yes, the ending was rushed. At the time it was aired in japan really late at night and did poorly because of this.

No it wasn't. It aired at the same time as some previous series (late afternoon). Why the rating decreased so much is a mystery.

I believe Gundam X was cancelled due to being in the shadow of the mega popular Gundam Wing. Wing was a tough act to follow. You see similar pop culture occurrences with Final Fantasy VIII following Final Fantasy VII, or Majora's Mask following Ocarina of Time, or Resident Evil 3 following Resident Evil 2.

With Gundam X, I'm sure you noticed the second phase upgrades and new colors to the Gundam Leopard and Airmaster. Both sporting designs to resemble the Wing Zero and Heavyarms, respectively.

X is cancelled in December 1996 and in January 1997 Gundam Wing Endless Waltz premieres. Bandai never missed a step to capitalize on their mega hit series.

In the past decade, I've notice X being reappraised and more people have noticed it. You can tell Bandai cares about X with their Memorial Box blu ray release. X got the full celebratory treatment on Blu Ray. Just like MSG, Zeta, ZZ, G, Wing, Turn A, and 00. I haven't seen avmemorial box or deluxe blu ray release for Victory, Seed, or Destiny. They all got standard blu-ray releases, just like the movies (Char's Counterattack and F91) and the OVA series (0080, 0083, 08th MS and Unicorn).

You can tell which series a company cares about by how they treat their releases. X is a gem. I'm more surprised at Seed not being given the Memorial treatment on Blu ray. I know TPTB and fans hated Destiny, but they could salvage and separate the original Seed from it.
AllStarNemesisJun 14, 2020 8:20 PM
Jun 14, 2020 10:09 PM

Jun 2015
AllStarNemesis said:
Switch_Z said:

I believe Gundam X was cancelled due to being in the shadow of the mega popular Gundam Wing. Wing was a tough act to follow. You see similar pop culture occurrences with Final Fantasy VIII following Final Fantasy VII, or Majora's Mask following Ocarina of Time, or Resident Evil 3 following Resident Evil 2.

With Gundam X, I'm sure you noticed the second phase upgrades and new colors to the Gundam Leopard and Airmaster. Both sporting designs to resemble the Wing Zero and Heavyarms, respectively.

X is cancelled in December 1996 and in January 1997 Gundam Wing Endless Waltz premieres. Bandai never missed a step to capitalize on their mega hit series.

In the past decade, I've notice X being reappraised and more people have noticed it. You can tell Bandai cares about X with their Memorial Box blu ray release. X got the full celebratory treatment on Blu Ray. Just like MSG, Zeta, ZZ, G, Wing, Turn A, and 00. I haven't seen avmemorial box or deluxe blu ray release for Victory, Seed, or Destiny. They all got standard blu-ray releases, just like the movies (Char's Counterattack and F91) and the OVA series (0080, 0083, 08th MS and Unicorn).

You can tell which series a company cares about by how they treat their releases. X is a gem. I'm more surprised at Seed not being given the Memorial treatment on Blu ray. I know TPTB and fans hated Destiny, but they could salvage and separate the original Seed from it.

Weird. I heard Wing only was a thing in the west
Jun 15, 2020 4:13 AM

May 2014
Switch_Z said:
AllStarNemesis said:

Weird. I heard Wing only was a thing in the west

Wing was huge in the mid-90s. The US and other countries only got it in 2000 and 2001.

90s Gundam breaks down like this.

March 1991: Gundam F91 debuts in theaters. Meant to soft-reboot the franchise by moving ahead of Char's Counterattack (1988) by 30 years. About 13 episodes (of a planned 50 episodes) worth of material is crammed into a 2 hour long movie. A draft of all the things Tomino and his team at the time wanted to see but couldn't decide a vision on. Example: Are the Crossbone Vanguard a new Zeon or space pirates?
The plan was for F91 to be released, people would see it and be motivated to demand more of it's story. Which didn't happen. Recall the last full Gundam show at the time was 1986's Gundam ZZ.

May 1991: Gundam 0083, a 13 episode OVA debuts. A sequel to MSG and a prequel to Zeta Gundam. In my opinion, 0083 being released so close to F91 hurt F91's chances for a sequel. 0083 rides the MSG nostalgia and showcases several of the villains who would be players in Zeta. 0083 goes down hill after episode 7 when the directors change and the direction of the show changes.

1993: Victory Gundam debuts. Another attempt by Tomino to soft-reboot the franchise by moving it forward by 30 years from F91. Sunrise gets bought out by Bandai and Bandai starts pushing for more toys/model kits to be shilled in the show. Tomino responds by making Victory a miserable experience. An attempt to kill the franchise. Ratings were bad.

1994: G Gundam. Bandai's first solo show with no Tomino involvement. Bandai wanted Gundam toys sold, so every mobile in G is a Gundam. The aim was to do a martial arts show in the vein of Hong Kong Kung Fu movies that were popular in the 70s across the planet. G Gundam had ratings on par with Victory (which was not good) but was saved by model and toy sales. Every toy is a Gundam. So make sure you buy them all, and then buy them again in their gold forms.

1995: Gundam Wing. You take the story of MSG, Zeta and Char's Counterattack and you condense and cram it into 49 episodes. With 5 Gundam pilots (who look like they're from a boy band), a Char clone with his own Gundam, and a lot of in-you-face violence set to rock music. Wing attracted boys and girls as viewers and consumers. Wing didn't do anything new, but it was new to the viewers who may not have seen the Gundams from the 80s.

1996: Gundam X. A series vastly different from Wing. An after the apocalypse story, that doesn't feel nearly as mean-spirited as Victory's attempt of a similar story. X is more interested in answering the question left by MSG, Zeta and Char's Coutnerattack. Are Newtypes the next stage of humanity? Are they worth all the killing and dying for?

Caught in the afterglow of Wing, X was too different and was cancelled 11 episode prematurely. Leading to a very short space/colony adventure arc. We don't learn anything about Lancerow (Amuro) and their side of the events.

1997: Gundam Wing Endless Waltz. A three part OVA, later combined into one movie. Capitalizing on Wing's popularity and putting in a considerable amount of money to deliver top notch animation.

1999: Turn A Gundam. Tomino comes back after 5 years off Gundam for the 20th anniversary and once again tries to end the franchise. He does it in a nice and creative way this time. A fusion of 19th Century era steampunk and space era technology merged together. I can't find ratings for Turn A but I think they were good.

I think Bandai really shot their bolt with Wing. Because there was no show from them between 1997-2002 until Seed. Seed being another show that was meant to be a MSG reimagining, like Wing was. Instead ended up being a reimaging of Gundam Wing but worse. And then Seed Destiny which was meant to be a reimagining of Zeta but ended up being a clone of Seed. Done worse.

Thank god for 00.
AllStarNemesisJun 15, 2020 4:20 AM
Mar 26, 2021 1:17 PM

Sep 2017
Based D.O.M.E, fuck Newtypes!
Overall pretty meh 5/10.
1+ for the music, 6/10.
I'm surprised with all of these positives scores and reviews, but it's kind of make sense.
You see Gundam X is less well known among its counterparts.
That's why the majority of the audience who go to it are Gundam's hardcore fans, and they are more biased than ordinary viewers, and for this reason, they mostly turn a blind eye to the weaknesses of the series.
Apr 25, 2021 1:33 AM
Apr 2021
Meh ending to a pretty meh Gundam show. 5/10. D.o.m.e. revealing the truth about newtypes now years after a major war broke out over it? I can imagine how pissed Char Aznable would be if D.O.M.E told him new types don't exist or matter really. The Frost Brothers stunk with their whole everything revolves around us philosophy towards the end. It would have been nice if they had explored the whole post apocalyptic side of this show instead of jumping around on story arcs at first. How are those two fake newtype guys still at it? Why couldn't DOME tell anyone the truth about new types 15 years ago?
codeanime93Apr 26, 2021 11:16 AM
Aug 24, 2021 4:58 PM

Dec 2012
syncrogazer said:
Certainly not the underrated gem I was promised. Half the episodes were awful, the rest were between okay and solid. Everything after the terrible ocean episodes and between the first trip to space, were a good bunch of episodes. Was expecting more out of the post-apocalyptic Earth setting since the fact that they spent the majority of the run time on Earth was one reason why I watched it. The Freeden crew started out promising, grew tiresome. Most of the characters were boring, Tiffa especially, but I think the majority of viewers are just happy that there was a 'romance.' Ennil is hot.

Character motivations were hilariously superficial. And for a franchise that is about the futility of war and the tragedy that is the cycle of violence and hatred, the characters are shown in a heroic light, despite the fact that half of the time they are massacring others for no real reason other than that they're in the area. At least Garrod never said, 'if you weren't here, I wouldn't have to kill you.'

The ending was interesting I guess, especially how they handled Newtypes, or 'Newtypes.' Though taking what D.O.M.E. says literally, it does sound kind of silly, but I get what he means.

Overall, forgettable and disappointing. The only TV Gundam I've seen that I have strong negative feeling about.

Essentially this. What a vapid and banal series this turned out to be lol
Sep 26, 2021 9:18 AM
Mar 2014
i watched this less than a year ago and i remember absolutely nothing about it, i have watched every single (non SD) gundam series up to hathaway and i have to say that this was the worst, I dont even remember what or if I disliked anything about it. I walk away from every gundam series with at least SOMETHING that stuck out, this one? absolutely nothing, 0 memory of it whatsoever... awful, anyone selling this as "slept on" "underrated" "overlooked" is lying.
would rather watch seed destiny over this because at least there is some fan service in that.
Dec 2, 2021 1:22 AM

Oct 2013
I'm watching all the Gundam series, OVAs and movies in chronological order and this could be my favorite ending yet. Such a nice way to pack things up despite the series being cut shortof TEN episodes.
In the end Newtypes were something between reality and a mirage, destined to be exploited and misunderstood. So, the the story tells us that it's better to leave them alone and go on with life. It's the first real explanation of the concept and I really liked it.
The Freeden crew is probably the more likable Gundam crew, the chemistry was just great (minus Ennil, she never made sense lol).
As for the villains, I think the Super Frost Bros® weren't that bad. Yes, their motives were selfish, but it's also true that most of the time evil is simple and banal, not linked at all to some deep thought about the sorts of humanity and such. Oh, and at least they were fighting for themselves and for some blind ideology like the SRA.
Last thing: the music. Just perfect, probably the best ost in a Gundam I've watched (but I'm expecting a lot from Yoko Kanno's work on Turn A). So atmospheric and imaginative! It made memorable a lot of moments.

In conclusion, 8/10. Like G Gundam this is better than a lot of UC stuff. And don't trust the bad reviews, they mostly come from people who liked Seed lmaoooooo
Radnitzky1890Dec 2, 2021 1:46 AM
Dec 5, 2021 2:57 PM

Feb 2020
One of my favorite installments of the franchise.

I liked most of the characters, especially the Freeden crew. It was quite refreshing to see a main character like Garrod. The Frost brothers were a bit plain I must admit, although they brought this backstory about category F and resentment, which was interesting.

Mecha designs were quite cool. My favorite being the NRX-0013-CB Gundam Virsago Chest Break.

Electronic pop songs used as openings make me feel so nostalgic.

I know this wasn't planned from the start, but 39 episodes isn't really a bad idea. Overall this series was fine.
Jan 11, 2022 2:01 PM

Jul 2020
A truly underrated Gundam show that didn't deserve to get axed. I really wish it had run it's planned 50 episodes so things could be more fleshed out, but it's still a solid Gundam experience that deserves more attention from fans.
Jul 29, 2022 7:16 PM

Nov 2014
Really ended up enjoying this. Definitely one of the better Gundam series I've seen. The main cast was all great, they were completely likeable. The Frost Brothers were absolutely garbage, their motivation made sense. Overall didn't detract from everything else though. I started off X not expecting much, but it ended up as one of my favorite entries in the franchise.
Jul 9, 2023 2:00 AM
Jul 2023
Best happy ending in a gundam show i've seen so far
Nov 16, 2023 6:50 AM

Jul 2017
This was a truly good ending, even if it was very rushed.
I'm happy that everyone survived and I also like the couples in the end.
An underrated hidden gem, better than a lot of Gundam series that receives too much love and attention.
Overall 8.5/10, absolutely one of my favorite in the franchise.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

More topics from this board

Poll: » After War Gundam X Episode 1 Discussion

OmegaRed - Mar 19, 2008

25 by nazunaf_g »»
Mar 16, 6:49 PM

Poll: » After War Gundam X Episode 5 Discussion

DonKangolJones - May 24, 2009

10 by Awesomepants25 »»
Mar 6, 9:48 PM

Poll: » After War Gundam X Episode 4 Discussion

DonKangolJones - May 24, 2009

11 by Awesomepants25 »»
Mar 6, 9:36 PM

Poll: » After War Gundam X Episode 38 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Sep 5, 2009

11 by Neemesis_2 »»
Nov 16, 2023 6:19 AM

Poll: » After War Gundam X Episode 37 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Sep 5, 2009

9 by Neemesis_2 »»
Nov 16, 2023 1:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.