Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 29, 2014 9:57 AM

Jun 2011
tiro_finale said:
The 1999 version has better art, better atmosphere, less censoring and is more mature. Pick your choice.

I greatly disagree. There is less censoring in the 2011 version and I beg to differ about the maturity of each, all the 1999 version has going for its maturity is the darker atmosphere that it has from the beginning and its subdued color palette. They both contain the same content for the most part. Meanwhile, the 2011 version can truly defy expectations as it starts of colorful and somewhat "child-ish" only to become dark and mature in later arcs.

I do agree about a better atmosphere but art is subjective and cannot be used as a defining aspect of a show.
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

Mar 29, 2014 10:08 AM

Jun 2011
xmaikokoro said:
tiro_finale said:
The 1999 version has better art, better atmosphere, less censoring and is more mature. Pick your choice.

I greatly disagree. There is less censoring in the 2011 version and I beg to differ about the maturity of each, all the 1999 version has going for its maturity is the darker atmosphere that it has from the beginning and its subdued color palette. They both contain the same content for the most part. Meanwhile, the 2011 version can truly defy expectations as it starts of colorful and somewhat "child-ish" only to become dark and mature in later arcs.

I do agree about a better atmosphere but art is subjective and cannot be used as a defining aspect of a show.

The heart-ripping scene in the beginning was censored as well as other things that I can't remember. There was more censoring in the beginning of 2011 compared to the 1999 version, which changed after it changed to a midnight timeslot (which happened during the Chimera Ant arc).

Mar 29, 2014 10:11 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Thread Moved.
Mar 29, 2014 10:19 AM

Jun 2011
SolBlade said:
xmaikokoro said:
tiro_finale said:

The heart-ripping scene in the beginning was censored as well as other things that I can't remember. There was more censoring in the beginning of 2011 compared to the 1999 version, which changed after it changed to a midnight timeslot (which happened during the Chimera Ant arc).

True, the Hunter Exam was censored very heavily in the 2011 version. But Yorknew is definitely less censored in the 2011 version than the 1999 version (possibly even Heaven's Arena as well) and even before the time-slot change, the Chimera Ant arc was not censored that heavily or at least, very smartly censored.
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

Apr 9, 2014 12:02 AM

Dec 2013
Patriots_fan said:
JustKillingTime said:
Hunter x Hunter 1999 > hunter X hunter 2011

lol not even close

well art is subjective i am neither right nor wrong,

i like the 1999 because i like the animation better, i am a sucker for that cowboy bebop, Akira 90s style of animation, i don't like how new anime is drawn

plus the 1999 is much darker in my opinain
"Do not chase after who goes, Do not refuse those who come." - Yomi from Nightmare
:D
Apr 16, 2015 12:07 PM
Apr 2015
None is better, both are masterpieces, im just glad that this Series exist, dont brake your Head much more about it. If you have enough Time watch both, if Not pick the One that suits you best! Nobody has exact the same Feelings as you!! keep that in mind ;)
May 14, 2015 12:06 PM
Oct 2014
Okay here's my opinion:

if you want to watch it just because watch the hunter x hunter 2011 series. you can find the whole thing on animeshow.com

If you want to watch it cause you are interested and you want to know the story then i recommend watching in this order:

hunter x hunter 2011 (has most of the story and the animations pretty good, the voice acting is good and the characters are sweet/cool)

hunter x hunter 1999 (wayy more in depth about the characters and stuff. it's really good but the isn't up to date with the manga. The animation is very 90s which is nice)

hunter x hunter 1999 OVA's: you can find the order of these on Wikipedia. It basically continues the anime

The films are form the 2011 version so you can watch them after that. personally i don't think the order matters but some people say you should watch the phatom troupe one first.

There is also the manga which is quite good (I haven't finished it yet) but it is 33 volumes long and it isn't finished yet and the 2011 anime basically finishes where the manga does so there's not much point in reading it unless you really want to. it does have a little bit of extra detail.

Hope this was helpful!
Jul 29, 2015 5:02 AM
Nov 2014
yukishiromei said:
First there's a Hunter x Hunter series from 1999, if you'll pick that, should watch in this order:

1.Hunter x Hunter
2.Hunter x Hunter OVA
3.Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island
4.Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island Final

After that, there's Hunter x Hunter (2011) the alternative version that is some kind of remake but it's still ongoing with 122 episodes so far. (Far better than the 1999 version, in my personal opinion)

About movies, there's two actually:

Hunter x Hunter: Phantom Rouge, a parent story of Hunter x Hunter 2011 that follows part of Kurapika's story and his past.

And there's Hunter x Hunter: The Last Mission, this time the story is focused in Netero (he Chairman of the Hunter Committee)

I hope this helps you.

but after the last episode of the first ova dont i need to watch phantom rouge or do i just need to watch the greed island ovas than the movies???
Dec 17, 2015 7:30 AM
Dec 2015
if you watched hunter x hunter 1999 version its ends with Gon knowing his father's name as Nigg. Start 2011 version from 76 episode to see the continuation.

hope it helps
May 1, 2016 8:54 PM

Feb 2011
I got a friend who is new to anime to try both 1999 and 2011's beginnings and she commented that she liked 2011 more because its faster and I agree. I like 1999 more, partially for personal reasons but also the music and stuff, but I think 2011 is the way to go for newbies.
Mar 4, 2017 12:52 PM
Mar 2017
i watched the original '99 at least twice. now I'm watching the '11 from the begginning (i'm at ep 11) and the '99 simultaneously when i remember that the '11 left out some good scene.

the best part of '11 that it covers a lot more of the manga. all of the finished arcs (as of march of 2017).

i thought the old animation was really good, but compared to the new it's not that good. BUT the original opening and ending are far better.

the '11 space is much faster spaced and leaves out a lot of shorter and longer scenes and character motivations. which sometimes good, sometime bad. the ball-game with netero is much better in the original (ep. 11-12)

the thing i miss most of the '99 series is the basic and beginning killua's and gon's. in the original series there are a lot of micro-scene where killua and gon are interacting and getting to know each other which they left out of the new series. in the '11 killua is a relative normal kid with an assasin family who is instant friend with gon. while in '99 we can see his struggling with normality and him slowly warming up to gon and being "normal". killua being fastinated with gon and his personanity quirks and vica versa. and gon is knowing from instincts how to handle killua.
maybe they will unfold their relationship in the later episodes, but so far these scenes are highly missed.
Apr 23, 2017 4:47 PM
Nov 2016
all right then have made it to like # 57 in remake allready seen the first series just wanted to know does anyone out there have decent series after this i have done all big three naruto,bleach & of course one piece prefer eng dub but well those of us that love anime take all we can get ever wonder how hard japanese would be to learn? but seriously need some inppput here what should i be watcching next love fighting mythology,and magic so if ya want let those finger start walkin over those keypads an show me the way

AND I TAKE THIS TIME TO SAY THANKX PLEASE REMEMBER THE ANIMALS IF IT HAS FEATHERS ,FUR, OR FINS ALL THEY DO IS LOVE CAN WE GIVE A LITTLE BACK DOESNT TAKE MUCH PEACE
Apr 24, 2017 8:01 PM
Jan 2017
wildhood said:
There are 2 versions of Hunter x Hunter: Hunter x Hunter (1999) and the 3 OVAs, and the remake Hunter x Hunter (2011) and the movies. Only the 1999 version has an order: Hunter x Hunter (1999) --> Hunter x Hunter OVA --> Hunter x Hunter Greed Island --> Hunter x Hunter Greed Island Final. The big difference is that the 1999 version is finished, while the 2011 version is ongoing and longer because it adapted two more arcs. Which version you want to watch first is up to you.

If you want to watch it dubbed, watch Hunter x Hunter (1999) (since Hunter x Hunter (2011) doesn't have a dub yet). However, the 3 OVAs that follow it don't have a dub. Hunter x Hunter 1999 has an older art style, the Hunter Exam and Zoldyck Family arcs are slow-paced, but the York Shin City arc was handled really well. Hunter Exam arc also has 4 filler episodes. But if you watch Hunter x Hunter 1999, you'll miss out on a fight between
at episode 41, which was censored because it would've been too violent for the target audience at the time. The show also has a really good soundtrack. If you finish it, you could just go to the Chimera Ants arc in the 2011 version, which begins at episode 76.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) I haven't watched yet, but the show is supposed to be more faithful to the manga, by being uncensored, though the Hunter Exam arc is still censored. It keeps the fight that wasn't in the 1999 version, it's fast-paced, and has a modern art style. However, I've read that the soundtrack and opening are bad compared to the 1999 version. There's also these 2 filler recap episodes.
Oh has my favorite anime soundtrack though... along with all of the Berserk anime of course.
May 13, 2017 5:25 PM
May 2017
First time poster, long time lurker. Had this exact question in mind few months back, when I finally decided to tackle this mini behemoth of a series for the first time, so I thought I'd leave my own feedback too.

tl;dr version:
Having now finished both 1999 version with its OVAs and the 2011 version in whole, I greatly prefer the 1999 adaptation, and would very much recommend starting with it. After 99 is done, you can jump to 2011's episode 80-something to continue straight from where the 1999's OVAs ended, and thus get much more cohesive, impressive shonen TV series experience.

LESS short report:

For starters, I began by watching episode 1 of BOTH 1999 and 2011 adaptations.
After that, it was clear that I'd be more of a fan of the 1999 version's visual style, way better animation, and pacing. I was actually quite shocked that the '11 version practically jammed 3+ episodes of 99 original into ONE episode, and skipped tons of backstory and other introduction material (ie everything about Kite!).

Thus, I started semi-marathoning the 1999 version, and it was just sublime! The show way deeper and impressive than I anticipated, not to mention got surprisingly grim at best. Loved the cast and atmosphere. I should mention that I did also check the Greed Island OVAs, which I'd include as 1999 material.

Soon after finishing 99 adaptation, I did start 2011 version from scratch.
It was very obvious that they were skipping corners and streamlining the plot quite a bit in order to get to the "new stuff", with which I was mostly fine. However, I'd say this is exactly the '11 version's problem: I've seen tons of first timers start with this MadHouse studios adaptation, and those folks are going to miss TON of exposition, world-building and character backstories!

Anyway, I was fine all the way until the end of Hunter Exam, but then I really started to pay attention to the sub-par, cheap animation (or lack of it), and the quite... "interesting" color choices. I've theorized that the 2011's art-director is either color-blind, or a big fan of CYMK palette, because hooboy did I get to see lots of CYAN, MAGENTA, and bright YELLOWS now! The warm, earthly and much more natural colors of the 1999 worked way better in my opinion. So yeah, the visual presentation left me quite cold, especially later on when it was just floating, static "paper dolls" on top of even more static background images. The borderline-Ghibli animations really spoiled me in 1999 version I guess, as did some of the way better fitting voice actor choices and soundtrack.

The biggest crime IMO was the entire Yorkshin Arc, which was definitely my favorite and most impressive arc so far in 99 version, simply disgusted me in 2011 version. I literally started skipping forward, even going past entire episodes just to get it over with. The more and more common narrator explaining EVERY SINGLE THING was just infuriating, especially when combined with some truly bizarre "cliffhanger" ends of some episodes.
I was a bit more curious about the G.I. arc, as I'd seen people praise it in 2011 version, but once again I must disagree with those claims and say that besides some very minor scenes in v11, the old v99 again clicked better. The first actually NEW arc that followed, which is 2011-only, was fascinating and exciting at best, but once in a while I found myself wondering "Oh how freaking awesome this would be in 1999's style!"

Final verdict: Hunter X Hunter is awesome. It's a shame that this show's less known by so many, yet unfortunately known for its years-long hiatuses. I found that 1999 version works better, and feels less patronizing. I would not recommend it for hasty people, nor would I recommend rushing through it in any way. In this show's case, it's better to start from the very roots and experience it all, instead of getting a half-baked "eh, it was a bit like this...I guess?" by watching only the MTV-paced 2011 adaptation.
Jan 9, 2018 5:17 AM
Feb 2016
Just finish 1999 version with ova and then continud straight from 2011 adaption 58 episode at the second part is the correct way to continue when exactly it stoped from ova last episode :P
FirebeatJan 9, 2018 5:20 AM
Jan 9, 2018 7:34 AM

Feb 2016
wildhood said:
There are 2 versions of Hunter x Hunter: Hunter x Hunter (1999) and the 3 OVAs, and the remake Hunter x Hunter (2011) and the movies. Only the 1999 version has an order: Hunter x Hunter (1999) --> Hunter x Hunter OVA --> Hunter x Hunter Greed Island --> Hunter x Hunter Greed Island Final. The big difference is that the 1999 version is finished, while the 2011 version is ongoing and longer because it adapted two more arcs. Which version you want to watch first is up to you.

If you want to watch it dubbed, watch Hunter x Hunter (1999) (since Hunter x Hunter (2011) doesn't have a dub yet). However, the 3 OVAs that follow it don't have a dub. Hunter x Hunter 1999 has an older art style, the Hunter Exam and Zoldyck Family arcs are slow-paced, but the York Shin City arc was handled really well. Hunter Exam arc also has 4 filler episodes. But if you watch Hunter x Hunter 1999, you'll miss out on a fight between
at episode 41, which was censored because it would've been too violent for the target audience at the time. The show also has a really good soundtrack. If you finish it, you could just go to the Chimera Ants arc in the 2011 version, which begins at episode 76.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) I haven't watched yet, but the show is supposed to be more faithful to the manga, by being uncensored, though the Hunter Exam arc is still censored. It keeps the fight that wasn't in the 1999 version, it's fast-paced, and has a modern art style. However, I've read that the soundtrack and opening are bad compared to the 1999 version. There's also these 2 filler recap episodes.
Leaving that fight out has a big advantage though
Jan 10, 2018 1:18 PM
Dec 2013
avory said:
wildhood said:

Leaving that fight out has a big advantage though

Still would've preferred 1999 to have shown the whole fight.
Jan 14, 2020 1:25 PM
Oct 2019
You have to be dumb to prefer the 2011 version, or a child, just watch the 1999 version with amazing soundtrack and mature animation, also a mature feeling of mistery and darkness and then watch the quimera ants arc and so on of the 2011 version.
Jan 15, 2020 11:54 AM

Nov 2018
1999 version(TV) + all OVAs or 2011 version
Movies are not related to main story at all
I hate everyone equally
Apr 10, 2020 10:25 PM
Feb 2013
based on their release dates the movies would be
Phantom Rouge - Episode 61.5
The last Mission - Episode 110.5
Jun 15, 2020 1:03 PM
Jun 2020
I'am confused So so so so so CONFUUUUUUUUUUUUSED
Aug 15, 2020 12:37 AM
May 2020
SynShinden said:
Just start from 2011 and go on, don't bother with the manga.

The manga says more about kurapikas storyline <3
Mar 9, 2021 12:52 AM
Sep 2020
The Hunter X Hunter 1999 had done a better job portraying character’s emotions and soundtracks are just to die for. Perfect themes for the characters and epic scenes.
1999>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2011

More topics from this board

Poll: » Better Version of HXH?

PushedCaraway - Oct 26, 2022

24 by Ex-Aid »»
Apr 20, 10:44 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 62 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Sep 13, 2008

55 by Kyurima »»
Apr 12, 5:40 AM

» Am I the only one who has a problem with...

removed-user - Dec 2, 2022

8 by Berry-Vodka »»
Feb 16, 10:33 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 54 Discussion

supermegasonic - Aug 24, 2011

19 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 53 Discussion

supermegasonic - Aug 24, 2011

17 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.