How would you rate this manga?
Mar 28, 2014 1:13 AM

Oct 2008
Spotlight Manga: Regarding Death

MAL Manga Information Page: Regarding Death

Score: 8.19 (scored by 104 users)
Ranked: #542
Popularity: #10218

For the next two weeks I would like to have a discussion about the manga that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate a manga: Art, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Art - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Art - discuss any pros and cons of the art styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Character - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to specific characters in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this discussion will develop.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL (03/10/2015)

Regarding Death was NOT inducted into the club Manga list: 60%
- Yes: 6
- No: 4
- I haven't read this manga: 48
~ Abstained: 0
LindleNov 7, 2015 12:50 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 4, 2014 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
For the sake of laziness I'm just going to post portions of my review. I will not be posting my art section for I feel it is no adequate enough of an assessment.

Regarding Death was the first manhwa/manga that I’ve read with another medium to assist it. I believed that manhwa or manga should, in no way or form, have some other medium such as sound to help portray the feelings. While I used to have this idea, Regarding Death completely changed that. After reading and listening to it, I could see the value a good BGM does to add to the atmosphere.

It is the telling of humanity and reality and how some must finally come to terms with themselves or with death. It’s a bunch of short stories that show you the full spectrum of what life can be. It is hard to explain what any of us will feel at the end of life, but this gives us a brief view of what it could be.

The stories themselves range from emotionally healing and touching to deeply saddening. It is a manhwa that is not always truthful to its reader, and may cause you to think about the story at hand. Its story though leaves you with a sense of wanting afterwards since the entire journey of the chapter is for reincarnation. You don’t know what will happen to the character and as a result, it gives you a plethora of emotions to deal with. They all with speak with “God” or “The Grim Reaper” and talk about their life and how they perceive it, but this is not always the case. Sometimes this higher being will teach you about yourself or help you overcome hatred or help you learn a lesson. It is not always set in stone what way the story is going and that’s the true beauty about it. You have to experience it for yourself in order to truly understand the meaning behind each chapter.

God, if that is what you wish to call him, is just a guide. He is the only character that remains at the end as it is his job to do so. People can call him anything they’d like, he can be anything he likes, but what is he exactly? That is what this manhwa tries to tell you, this being is not at all what we think we know. No one has seen him, and no one knows if “he” truly exists. Though this guide has taken up the task of showing humans the path to reincarnation. He is not all seeing, but rather he is fascinated by humans and is even surprised at times. This is a higher being, and all he/she does is help us find our way. Whether this be the path of enlightenment or punishment, it all depends on the person. Truly a fascinating character and one that cannot truly be explained as well as we would hope.

In each story, you have a character or perhaps two characters along with this “guide”. You learn about them, and understand them in their final thoughts. We understand the heartaches they feel, the hatred that wells up inside, the mistakes they’ve made, and how they see the world. Though you may not understand everything you want out of the character, you cannot help but feel that they fulfilled their purpose for the stories they tell and that is all a reader can ask for.

Now onto the thing that I thought I would never put in a manga/manhwa review: the music. The BGM is always gentle and appealing to the ear. Its soft beat does not overwhelm you, but helps as yet another guide through these stories. It helps you feel the mood of the characters and lets you follow along with their emotions. This truly allows one to feel as if they are going on this journey themselves and experience it as the characters experience it. Without this accompanying BGM, it would not be what it is. This is not a read per se, but more of an experience for the senses and emotions. If I had to take away the music from the manhwa, then it would purely drop in rating since you are removing a part of the artform that is Regarding Death. Listen to these tracks along with the read and you could see what I mean, but it truly is up to the reader to make this decision.

I cried, I smiled, and I thoroughly enjoyed this experience that Regarding Death gave me. This is one of my favourite reads, no, one of my favourite experiences that I’ve had in the world of anime and manga. While I do believe that manga/manhwa do not need an accompanying BGM to be amazing, Regarding Death is a manhwa that truly delivers thanks to the soundtrack.
Sep 19, 2015 7:55 AM

Mar 2012
Conceptually, it's a really interesting work.

The art isn't especially attractive or unique, but shines when it depicts the characters. Because of the brevity of the stories, there isn't much time to provide depth to a character, but the artist uses body language and facial expression effectively enough that the characters always seem fully present. The aesthetic of the art is also interesting, a contrast between often heavily detailed urban environments and the stylized emptiness of the afterlife.

The characters themselves vary in compellingness from story to story. Again, given the brevity of the stories, some lack of depth is to be expected, but the stories here live and die on the backs of their characters, so any story where the characterization is subpar comes off as a huge dud - and this happens more frequently than I was comfortable with. Often it felt as though characters were just supposed to trigger various emotional reactions in the reader because (gasp!) they died! and things happened to them before they died! and dying taught them a valuable lesson! but it's too late to appreciate it now! To my mind, too many of the stories fell into this pattern without offering anything really interesting. I'll discuss this further in the story section, but it relates to characters because for a manhwa with such a focus on its characters, most of them don't really get a chance to shine, and this isn't only because of the brevity of the stories.

Story - Well. As you might expect if you were a particularly cynical person, the stories generally revolve around ideas like "you need to appreciate what you have while you're still alive because you could die at any time!" I say generally because there are a lot of good stories in here, or at least interesting stories. That being said, there are also a lot of uninteresting ones that revolve around the same kind of platitudes people say about death anyways. It seems at its face to be character based, but many of the stories use the characters solely so "God" can provide some kind of valuable lesson to the characters without any actual character building involved. One example of something that bothered me would be the fact occasionally God brings people back to life and occasionally he does not. Whether or not he does seems to be based entirely on whether he wants to give a speech about appreciating what you have while you have it or a speech about how death can come at any time and you can't escape it. The stories that show the characters coming to terms with their own deaths are generally good, but too often they're coopted to make some point about death that too often rings hollow.

6/10 or 7/10 from me.
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Sep 19, 2015 8:57 AM

Oct 2012
truisms said:
One example of something that bothered me would be the fact occasionally God brings people back to life and occasionally he does not. Whether or not he does seems to be based entirely on whether he wants to give a speech about appreciating what you have while you have it or a speech about how death can come at any time and you can't escape it. The stories that show the characters coming to terms with their own deaths are generally good, but too often they're coopted to make some point about death that too often rings hollow.

God never interfered with people's lives, he said it himself plenty of times. When you wrote it you probably was thinking about the father in coma and the suicide attempt with a rope, right? On those occasions it wasn't God's interference, it's just that he knew when the father would wake up from the coma and that the rope was going to tear. He even says at some point that "you might be saved because of a rotten rope" or something along these lines.
Sep 19, 2015 11:12 AM

Mar 2012
felipekorbes said:
truisms said:
One example of something that bothered me would be the fact occasionally God brings people back to life and occasionally he does not. Whether or not he does seems to be based entirely on whether he wants to give a speech about appreciating what you have while you have it or a speech about how death can come at any time and you can't escape it. The stories that show the characters coming to terms with their own deaths are generally good, but too often they're coopted to make some point about death that too often rings hollow.

God never interfered with people's lives, he said it himself plenty of times. When you wrote it you probably was thinking about the father in coma and the suicide attempt with a rope, right? On those occasions it wasn't God's interference, it's just that he knew when the father would wake up from the coma and that the rope was going to tear. He even says at some point that "you might be saved because of a rotten rope" or something along these lines.

Well, sure, let's redefine God as "the author" then.
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Sep 19, 2015 11:37 AM

Oct 2012
truisms said:
Well, sure, let's redefine God as "the author" then.

We are talking about a omniscient and omnipotent being, what do you expect?
Sep 19, 2015 12:04 PM

Aug 2014
All in all it's just a bunch of pretty simple stories about people reflecting on their life after dying in various ways. Very simple and straightforward, nothing unique or praiseworthy. I want to give it credit for approaching the theme from many different perspectives however, even if some of them were little more than cheap tear jerking or preaching.

I was reading through it with suggested music playing in the background for first 20 minutes or so cause pretty generic sad piano music got annoying somewhat fast. Intentionally atrocious paneling didn't help either and all colored panels looked like century old gif images with low bit depth which was really jarring. Outside of that art simple and unremarkable, though facial expressions were decent.

Characters are the same way. Even God isn't really fleshed out but people will still likely have some kind of feelings while reading this cause most situations don't require you to care about characters, just have a little empathy. Fear of dying, no matter the circumstances or losing someone important should be common enough to be relatable.

Maybe I missed something or approached it with a wrong mindset but I can't say anything but no for this one.
GundroogSep 19, 2015 12:12 PM
Sep 20, 2015 4:46 AM

Mar 2014
The art was simple, but shined where it needed to. Overall, I didn't like the look of it at first, but it grew on me the further I got into it.

The stories all revolved around the same basic formula, which made the whole thing start to get kind of boring after a few chapters. Still, there's a few chapters that change things up a bit more and give a bit more variety.

The themes of the story end up coming off as a bit preachy and heavy-handed. Not that I really disagree with most of what the author was saying, I just feel he could have been a bit more subtle about it. Then again, I also felt like the themes were the main focus for the story, which I would consider a fault. However, with more subtle themes, the story would feel even more empty than it already does.

The characters were probably the weakest part of the whole thing, with very little depth to them, with only the most basic of personalities. This includes the main character, God.

I didn't bother listening to the music while reading it, because I started one track and it didn't sound very good.

Overall, it had it's moments, but it was really just kind of middling for me.
5/10
::End of Transmission::

Sep 20, 2015 6:46 AM

Mar 2012
Drumrug said:

Characters are the same way. Even God isn't really fleshed out but people will still likely have some kind of feelings while reading this cause most situations don't require you to care about characters, just have a little empathy. Fear of dying, no matter the circumstances or losing someone important should be common enough to be relatable.

Maybe I missed something or approached it with a wrong mindset but I can't say anything but no for this one.

Dunno, I had the same problem. You would expect a story like this to focus on characters, but they exist only to justify the themes which are shoved in your face every chapter. Some takes here are better than others but most come off like this imo.
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.