Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 26, 2014 12:25 PM

Jun 2012
I'd like a remake aswell.
Mar 26, 2014 12:29 PM

Dec 2007
One small step for mecha, one giant step for animekind.
Mar 26, 2014 12:33 PM
Sep 2007
While I would like remake with original seiyuu cast (well, Kenji Nojima now voices Hikaru in games, due to death of late Arihiro Hase), I'd like to find out about disappearance of crew from first series.
Mar 26, 2014 12:35 PM
May 2013
So now that we know a new macross is on the way, for mecha fans there seems to be a lot to be excited about. However one thing seems to be conspicuously missing to me, that being a new multi cour Gundam TV series. YOU HEAR ME SUNRISE?! A NEW GUNDAM SERIES! COME ON PLEASE?!
Mar 26, 2014 12:39 PM

Nov 2012
DarkMorpher said:
I prefer if it was a REMAKE.

+ 1
Mar 26, 2014 1:03 PM

Jul 2011
I'd like to see Sheryl ACTUALLY FUCKING WIN THE ONLY REAASON I WATCHED THIS FUCKINGS SERIES IS BECAUSE I WNATED TO SEE WHO WINS THE LOVE TRIANGLE

BUT NO I GET A FUCKING HAREM ENDING IN A FUCKING HSIT ANIME KIAJSOJDPOJADHAILDUHASLDHASDUIGASDGBA:WGEBA"WEHAW"EHNAW
EJ AW
JM
Mar 26, 2014 1:03 PM

Jun 2009
@ Hahalollawl

Would that not be Gundam Origins? I figured that it would be a multi-cour series.

Sounds nice, there is alot of anime I am looking forward to now.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 26, 2014 1:15 PM

Oct 2011
I grew up on Macross and Macross Frontier... Ahhh the nostalgia.

I loved Frontier, the music, the climaxes, the planning, the palatable fan-service, it was a treat for the budding anime viewer I was when I was first watching it. Hell, even now, it's still a treat.

I can't wait for the rest of my ipod to be filled up with this new soundtrack.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Mar 26, 2014 1:16 PM

Oct 2013
That's good to hear.
Mar 26, 2014 1:28 PM

Jan 2014
Macross: Frontier has always been a show I'd like to check out, but I'll keep an eye on this as I'm expecting it to be of the same caliber.
Mar 26, 2014 1:36 PM
May 2013
insan3Spectre said:
@ Hahalollawl

Would that not be Gundam Origins? I figured that it would be a multi-cour series.

I don't think origin is a TV series.
Mar 26, 2014 1:36 PM

Aug 2008
Reciprocal said:
Yeah, I don't wanna see more otaku pandering of this originally good show
To be frank, only concept of variable fighters was actually good. The show itself was so bad it's good. Or rather so bad it's amusing.

BRSxIgnition said:
What? You were growing up on it from 1982 to 2008? Boy, that's one long childhood.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Mar 26, 2014 2:15 PM

Oct 2007
Hahalollawl said:
So now that we know a new macross is on the way, for mecha fans there seems to be a lot to be excited about. However one thing seems to be conspicuously missing to me, that being a new multi cour Gundam TV series. YOU HEAR ME SUNRISE?! A NEW GUNDAM SERIES! COME ON PLEASE?!

We just had one in BF so unless its G-Reco its probably going to take a couple years.

Anyway a remake of the original might not be a bad idea. Most people nowadays have only really seen Frontier so to them that is the franchise and the back story is just what they've heard about from that series, but a remake would allow everyone to experience how it all got started if done properly of course. Thing is the sensibilities of today aren't as same as those of 1982 so I'm not so convinced they'd end up doing the original justice. Granted Yamato 2199 managed to do justice to the original series, while also appeasing the sensibilities of todays otaku (i.e more female characters, even more skintight body suits, more focus on romance etc.) but for some reason I don't have the same faith in Satelight and Modern Kawamori. I'd really hope Watanabe gets on this project for peace of mind but we'll see, he's busy with his own projects after all.

Hahalollawl said:
insan3Spectre said:
@ Hahalollawl

Origin is a movie series, G-Reco there's no concrete information yet. The person that posted the news here claimed its a movie ans everyone just kind of went along with even though no official source confirmed it but I'm not so sure.

I don't think origin is a TV series.
PeacingOutMar 26, 2014 2:24 PM
Mar 26, 2014 2:29 PM

Jul 2012
Reciprocal said:

Good to know that making a sequel to a show that is similar to the original counts as otaku pandering
slaydere said:
I'd like to see Sheryl ACTUALLY FUCKING WIN THE ONLY REAASON I WATCHED THIS FUCKINGS SERIES IS BECAUSE I WNATED TO SEE WHO WINS THE LOVE TRIANGLE

BUT NO I GET A FUCKING HAREM ENDING IN A FUCKING HSIT ANIME KIAJSOJDPOJADHAILDUHASLDHASDUIGASDGBA:WGEBA"WEHAW"EHNAW
EJ AW
JM

ASFKASJFSOPJ DO SOME RESEARCH, WATCH THE TWO MOVIES ASFHSOSAB
הלב שלי כבר מת
Mar 26, 2014 2:31 PM

Nov 2012
Holy fuck, this is awesome.
I need to watch Frontier, loved the first series.

GuiltyKing said:
Macross experts out there, does one need to watch all the shows in order to fully enjoy this one or is watching the 2008 one sufficient?
I think to get the full enjoyment yes.
it's in the same universe, and I heard Macross Frontier calls back to the original series.

Antanaru said:
BRSxIgnition said:
What? You were growing up on it from 1982 to 2008? Boy, that's one long childhood.
Or he saw Robotech which many grew up on.
RX-782Mar 26, 2014 2:40 PM
Mar 26, 2014 2:39 PM

Oct 2012
slaydere said:

EJ AW
JM

You really should watch the movies, the second movie gives an answer on who wins the triangle lol

On another note I'm really looking forward to another Macross series, will definitely watch it when it airs
Mar 26, 2014 2:42 PM
Oct 2010
Really good news. I like me some macross. The big three all got something coming out haha, EVA, Macross and Gundam.
Mar 26, 2014 2:44 PM

Oct 2011
A NEW MACROSS SERIES OMG OMG!!!!!!
Mar 26, 2014 2:47 PM
Feb 2012
New Macross TV show, huh? Always wanted to give a shot in the whole Macross franchise. ... that I should.
Mar 26, 2014 3:11 PM

Feb 2012
Depending on if Kawamori is in his senses and makes this into a real Macross anime like SDF, DYRL, Plus or Frontier, then it should be something to look forward to more than even the new Gundam projects. Then again, he has gone insane with all sorts of random dysfuntional otaku culture combinations and Macross was already threading on thin ice with that before. I don't think he can resist bombarding this new show with his obsessions. I'm expecting this to have school life, lots of phone apps and more random super powers instead of mechs (like bringing that horrible spiritia from Macross 7 back).
Mar 26, 2014 3:24 PM

Oct 2007
I just thought of a good example for the whole should I watch the original questions for the Macross Franchise. To me watching Macross Frontier without having seen SDF Macross and it's sequels is like trying to watch Gundam Unicorn without having seen the original, Zeta, ZZ and CCA. Yeah it can stand well enough on it's own, but there's so many references and little nods to the franchises continuity as well as world building and terminology that'd take to long to explain that really as good as it seems you're still only getting about half the experience you would having seen what happens before it.

@Nope: Macross Frontier calls back to the original, but also Seven a lot and a little bit of Zero like with the movie they were filming being based off of the story from that OVA series. It didn't really make a lot of reference to Plus though that I can recall, but I'd still say for people to watch it anyway since it's really good if not the best entry in the franchise. Actually Plus I would say is the one that could probably most be watched as a standalone.

mecharobot said:
Depending on if Kawamori is in his senses and makes this into a real Macross anime like SDF, DYRL, Plus or Frontier, then it should be something to look forward to more than even the new Gundam projects. Then again, he has gone insane with all sorts of random dysfuntional otaku culture combinations and Macross was already threading on thin ice with that before. I don't think he can resist bombarding this new show with his obsessions. I'm expecting this to have school life, lots of phone apps and more random super powers instead of mechs (like bringing that horrible spiritia from Macross 7 back).

I feel like I kind of have to break it up as a long time mecha fan, but I've never really understood this whole sentiment of late that Macross is more desirable than a Gundam entry. I mean on some level I sort of get it, no doubt something like Macross has more in common with modern anime fan watching sensibilities than a Gundam being more romance and pop music focused and all while Gundam is more about war and suffering and otherwise unpleasant stuff, but it just feels like such a hipster thing to me. Like yeah Macross has less frequent entries and therefore is better because reasons and such. It just seems to me like it's cool to hate on Gundam because it's the bigger franchise, but whatever, fanboys are going to fanboy and argue among themselves over petty details while I continue to appreciate both franchises and see what comes of the respective projects.

That said I'd be totally lying if I said I'm not concerned about Kawamori as well and totally get where you are coming from. Tomino with G-Reco too worries me, but less for reasons of wanting to pander to otaku which I just can't see him doing and more that he kind of got a bit weird too and can have some strange ideas for characters and themes in his own right. Kawamori though I feel has all but totally embraced the modern age of anime and changed his style into something unrecognizable from his older stuff so I don't really know what to expect.
PeacingOutMar 26, 2014 3:32 PM
Mar 26, 2014 3:24 PM

Jan 2009
damn i hope its a remake
Mar 26, 2014 3:34 PM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
Good for the fans. I watched Frontier, I wasn't very fond of it. Pop idols + mecha isn't my cup of tea.
Mar 26, 2014 4:16 PM

Sep 2013
In that case I better finish watching Robotech.
Mar 26, 2014 4:19 PM

Nov 2011
NebulaC3I said:

Why watch that when you can watch the original macross?

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Mar 26, 2014 4:23 PM

Sep 2013
rederoin said:
NebulaC3I said:

Why watch that when you can watch the original macross?

Closure? A good friend of mine let me borrow his Robotech DVD some time ago and I never finished it.
Mar 26, 2014 5:46 PM

Feb 2008
Hopefully they'll go full cheesy and just be what Macross was always supposed to be, a cheesy space opera with singing idols/rock bands. The more serious it tries to be, the worse the show ends up getting.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Mar 26, 2014 6:22 PM

Jun 2008
Chinensis said:
Good for the fans. I watched Frontier, I wasn't very fond of it. Pop idols + mecha isn't my cup of tea.
Then you must not have watched the original Macross. All the Macross titles, except for Zero, dealt with idols, mechas and love triangles.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Mar 26, 2014 11:36 PM

Oct 2011
Antanaru said:
BRSxIgnition said:

Mainly Frontier, but I did check out a few of the others because of how much I liked Frontier.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Mar 27, 2014 1:05 AM
May 2012
morshuwarrior said:
What a year.

I really need to start watching Macross sometime.

Same here!!

thepath said:
I like to watch this but there is too many prequels

Exactly what I feel, and I don't want to skip anything but there is just too many of them. I guess we will just have to deal with it.
Mar 27, 2014 1:15 AM
Jul 2018
There is a god and he/she/it loves mecha this year.
Mar 27, 2014 7:57 AM

Mar 2013
Been thinking about the comments on a reboot. I don't think it will happen, it just doesn't seem to be Kawamori's style.

That being said, there is an alternate telling of the original out in manga form that has been fairly popular recently,
http://myanimelist.net/manga/17259/The_Super_Dimensional_Fortress_Macross_-_The_First

So I guess that idea has some merit, personally I want a new story...that or the story behind what happened to the Megaroad.
Mar 27, 2014 11:33 AM

Jul 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq6O4cjlLP8

Teaser
הלב שלי כבר מת
Mar 27, 2014 11:37 AM

Sep 2013
Casval said:

Teaser

Well that was enlightening.

The "shadow" of a mecha in the end looked like Macross, so maybe this is a remake of the original? I haven't seen Frontier though, does it use that same spaceship model?
Mar 27, 2014 11:56 AM

Jul 2012
cupc said:
Casval said:

Teaser

Well that was enlightening.

The "shadow" of a mecha in the end looked like Macross, so maybe this is a remake of the original? I haven't seen Frontier though, does it use that same spaceship model?

Nope, it doesn't.
I don't think that it will be a remake, I mean Kawamori never did a full TV remake of something, just one, two movies or OVA's, and I don't think that he ever will.
הלב שלי כבר מת
Mar 27, 2014 12:18 PM

Mar 2013
Na that silhouette of the Macross is just a typical Kawamori troll :)

Probably means the exact opposite...
Mar 27, 2014 1:27 PM

Jul 2013
Casval said:
Reciprocal said:

Good to know that making a sequel to a show that is similar to the original counts as otaku pandering

It is much worse than the original though, in terms of fanservice.
Mar 27, 2014 1:50 PM

Nov 2012
Why would there be a remake of the original? There's already a "remake" which is 'Do You Remember Love?' which the way things happen is different, but leads to the same events like characters dying different ways etc.
Mar 27, 2014 3:04 PM

Mar 2008
Casval said:

Teaser
All dem idols.

Am I the only one a little amused at how few installments Macross has in comparison to Big-brother Gundam? We really don't have many super-mecha franchises.
Mar 27, 2014 3:33 PM

Nov 2011
Ckan said:
Casval said:

Teaser
All dem idols.

Am I the only one a little amused at how few installments Macross has in comparison to Big-brother Gundam? We really don't have many super-mecha franchises.

Maybe its because Kawamori is busy using his idea's on other mecha? I don't know how the macross franchise works, so its just a idea.

Mar 27, 2014 3:38 PM

Nov 2012
rederoin said:
Ckan said:
Casval said:

Teaser
All dem idols.

Maybe its because Kawamori is busy using his idea's on other mecha? I don't know how the macross franchise works, so its just a idea.
Did Kawamori create all the Macross installments though? If so then I think he's created more installments in Macross than what Tomino did in Gundam.
Mar 27, 2014 3:38 PM

Mar 2008
rederoin said:
Ckan said:
Casval said:

Teaser
All dem idols.

There's certainly something to that. Kawamori could easily have made countless weird and wonderful installments of Macross if he wanted to, so perhaps there's executive overhead involved here.

Or perhaps Variable Fighters just don't sell as well as Gunpla.
Mar 27, 2014 3:44 PM

Sep 2011
Marzan said:
JizzyHitler said:
hopefully its not offensively bad like nobunaga the fool was, hell i hope its not even like frontier where the side characters were amazing but the main 3 were unlikable as hell

I hope Kawamori uses Nobunaga the Fool to get rid of his more zany ideas like he did with Aquarion and then is a bit more 'focused' when doing a Macross.
that'd be nice, nobunaga the fool is a show made up of bad ideas that id think he'd of used them all up after its 24 episodes finish up. So yeah i have some hope it will be good.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 27, 2014 3:46 PM

Mar 2008
Nope said:
Did Kawamori create all the Macross installments though? If so then I think he's created more installments in Macross than what Tomino did in Gundam.
So far as I remember, he's had a hand in every Macross installment, but some of those credits may have been limited to mechanical design.

I believe he's only had a major hand in the writing or directing of 7 and Frontier as far as TV macross goes, so that's 2/3.
Mar 27, 2014 4:13 PM

Mar 2013
Nope said:

He wrote Plus, 7 and Zero. Heavily involved in the creation of all of them except Macross II which isn't considered part of the franchise by most.
Mar 27, 2014 4:18 PM

Nov 2011
Ckan said:
Nope said:
So far as I remember, he's had a hand in every Macross installment, but some of those credits may have been limited to mechanical design.

I believe he's only had a major hand in the writing or directing of 7 and Frontier as far as TV macross goes, so that's 2/3.

Actually, going by his wiki page, he was involved in all of the macross projects. Except for Macross II.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawamori

I think the reason so many of his projects are set in unrelated to macross, is because he wants them to be a different universe, with different rules, than the macross series? Something like Nobunaga the fool(which is an amazing series) or Basqaush isen't really something that would fit in the macross universe.

He's the executive director at Sateligth, so I think he does have a lot of freedom So I don't think he's being forced to keep some of his idea's outside of the macross series.

Mar 27, 2014 4:35 PM

Mar 2008
rederoin said:
Ckan said:
Nope said:

Actually, going by his wiki page, he was involved in all of the macross projects. Except for Macross II.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawamori

I think the reason so many of his projects are set in unrelated to macross, is because he wants them to be a different universe, with different rules, than the macross series? Something like Nobunaga the fool(which is an amazing series) or Basqaush isen't really something that would fit in the macross universe.

He's the executive director at Sateligth, so I think he does have a lot of freedom So I don't think he's being forced to keep some of his idea's outside of the macross series.

I remember Kawamori as being responsible for the iconic VF-design in SDF Macross, but I'm not too sure what "Original Series Concept Creator, Production Supervisor" entail. Goes to show how little I know about Macross.

On the unrelated projects, I think so much as he gets a lot of freedom, I suppose there just isn't the same level of demand when comparing Macross to Gundam.

@Nope, even if Kawamori's got more credits for Macross, he can't quite trump Tomino's Gundam episode count.
Mar 28, 2014 4:58 AM
Dec 2010
Ckan said:
Casval said:

Teaser
All dem idols.

Has Macross ever been as big a franchise as Gundam? AFAIK the first Macross is highly influential and well received, but not to the degree of Gundam 0079. Macross 7 wasn't that well received whilel Macross Frontier was a huge hit but not on the level of Gundam Seed.
Mar 28, 2014 8:58 AM

Mar 2013
Not really, Gundam has always had the edge popularity wise.

scytheavatar said:

Has Macross ever been as big a franchise as Gundam? AFAIK the first Macross is highly influential and well received, but not to the degree of Gundam 0079. Macross 7 wasn't that well received whilel Macross Frontier was a huge hit but not on the level of Gundam Seed.
Mar 28, 2014 10:59 AM

Nov 2008
this macroos serie is like gundam they are immortal.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
9 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
11 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.