Forum Settings
Forums

Do you have any prejudice against your regional music?

New
Mar 24, 2014 10:27 PM

Oct 2013
I was having thos conversation with a friend in school, then I told him about a cover of "Ride of the Valkyries" by Chicha Libre, this band mixes cumbia with peruvian chicha and a bit of surf rock, when I showed him the song, he said it was awful.

This band has been in some jazz festivals so, basically they're very good musicians, and most of the comments in YT that are positive come from non latino countries, while some comments say that they're awful, but they're from latinoamerican countries.

Then this question ran through my mind, Does people think that their regional music is bad without even giving it a chance?

I know that in the USA some people see country music as "bad" music, while some people outside USA like it.

tl,dr: Do you hate your folk/regionall music? Why?
UnoPuntoCincoMar 24, 2014 10:44 PM
Mar 24, 2014 10:35 PM

Jan 2014
Well, here hip-hop and rap seem to be pretty popular around here. I'm not into rap at all, hip-hop, meh. It seems like the music here is more and more sex-obsessed.

I like classical, classic rock, and yes, a little bit of country.

Though I've also noticed there is more and more overlap of genres these days too, which makes things interesting. I really like unique sounds, and it seems like more artists are coming up with one-in-a-million songs these days.
Mar 24, 2014 10:41 PM

Jul 2012
UnoPuntoCinco said:

This band has been in some jazz festivals so, basically they're very good musicians

That's not exactly how that works, those two things can be mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure what you mean by national music either. Seems like you're claiming country music is the united state's national music (whatever that means)?
Mar 24, 2014 10:44 PM

Oct 2013
Joshua1207 said:
UnoPuntoCinco said:

This band has been in some jazz festivals so, basically they're very good musicians

That's not exactly how that works, those two things can be mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure what you mean by national music either. Seems like you're claiming country music is the united state's national music (whatever that means)?

Oh, yeah, I typed national, i meant regional, you know, folk and shit
Mar 24, 2014 10:49 PM

Jul 2012
Well, I don't know what the regional music around my specific town is, but living in Washington and all, the music is pretty diverse and indie so I'm down with that.

When it comes to folky stuff, it really depends on a artist to artist (or band) basis. But that can really be said about all genres. I suppose I'm never too excited when hearing about new folk music but I won't dismiss it without giving it a proper listen.
Mar 24, 2014 11:04 PM

Sep 2012
I used to think that. I live in Nashville, Tennessee which is known as "music city" and even more known for country music, so for the majority of my life I stayed away from country music because I desperately did not want to be thought of as some kind of country hick dumbass.

I've grown more accepting of it recently though because I realized that me thinking that people would think I'm stupid for not hating on country music was a retarded assumption, and that "music city" does not just apply to country music.

It's not bad when done right. Some songs are pretty damn good and give that nostalgic "I'm at home" feeling I love, but I still highly prefer listening to other music genres.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 25, 2014 3:31 AM

Oct 2013
In the UK we have this think called Grime which is basically rapping but a bit faster. I prefer the freestyles because the beats never sound top notch. Heavy metal is godly here. Just listen to Iron Maiden, Venom, and Sabbath. Of course you get the runt of the litter here and there like Bring Me the Horizon.
Mar 25, 2014 3:58 AM

Apr 2012
Nah not really. I'd say I enjoy most music made where I live. Which would be trap, jazz, soul, and country.
Mar 25, 2014 3:58 AM
Nov 2008
australian music is just mumbling over a guitar.
Mar 25, 2014 4:58 AM

Jan 2014
Prejudice? No. I just don't like my country's music that much.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Mar 25, 2014 5:11 AM

Nov 2012
I love Hungarian folk music, it gives me feels. I also love the oldies.

As for recent ones, well... I don't have any prejudice, but I don't like much of the mainstream music. There are some creative and good rappers though, and I'm a huge fan of a few metal/rock/alternative bands. I go to concerts a lot.
Mar 25, 2014 6:36 AM

Feb 2010
That's news to me. Coming from a HipHop background I'm used to people strongly identifying with their local artists. Not even talking about countries, but cities. I was never much inta that, but I also don't dislike music from my region unless it happens to suck.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 25, 2014 6:36 AM
Dec 2013
Nope, arabic folk music is the best.
Mar 25, 2014 9:11 AM
Sep 2013
I have to yes. The music itself always sounds the same and the lyrics are sung in the regional dialect, which pretty much only the old people can understand.
Mar 25, 2014 10:20 AM

Nov 2013
It's mostly pop and hip hop here, neither of which I particularly like. Latino music is played as well, but it's not as common. I don't mind it. I'd rather hear that than the typical pop anthem with lyrics of little to zero substance.

Mar 25, 2014 11:23 AM

Jan 2014
Well I can't stand the Dutch music we have here, 'cause it's the most boring, repetitive, uninspiring garbage I have had my ears witness for a long time. The only Dutch band that's actually pretty decent in my opinion is Within Temptation. Hell even our last submissions for the Eurovision Songfestival were complete failures. I can go on for a while... But yeah.. Dutch music.. definitely a no-go in my book.
Mar 26, 2014 5:05 AM

Nov 2013
Seeing as I live in Quebec, Canada... EVERYTHING related to music here is cringe-worthy bullshit.
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Mar 26, 2014 10:43 PM

Jun 2011
Almost every "grunge" music fan I've met, was from Australia.
I found that to be quite interesting! I don't think grunge music is very popular here in california where I live, but I love it.
Kpop ruined me
~~~~~in an anime rut ~~~~~
Mar 26, 2014 11:43 PM

Oct 2013
xxxcreep said:
Almost every "grunge" music fan I've met, was from Australia.
I found that to be quite interesting! I don't think grunge music is very popular here in california where I live, but I love it.

Wasn't Grunge from seattle?
Apr 19, 2014 9:58 AM

Mar 2014
I don't think there's such thing as prejudice concerning music, it's a matter of taste, if you like it or not, it doesn't matter if you haven't listened to the musician if you dislike the genre they play you're not going to like their music. Personally I try to keep an open mind concerning music to genres I'm not familiar with, maybe I'll find something I like, Where I'm from it's all about country or classical music, and I love it.
Apr 19, 2014 4:27 PM

Mar 2014
Yhuuro said:
Well I can't stand the Dutch music we have here, 'cause it's the most boring, repetitive, uninspiring garbage I have had my ears witness for a long time. The only Dutch band that's actually pretty decent in my opinion is Within Temptation. Hell even our last submissions for the Eurovision Songfestival were complete failures. I can go on for a while... But yeah.. Dutch music.. definitely a no-go in my book.

ohh hell yeah.. Dutch music can be horrible. i can't stand the stuff like Marco Borsato, Frans Bauer, Nick & Simon etc,
but at the same time, with dutch metal and punk bands, while i do have to admit there is a lot of stuff i don't like. but thats mainly 'because Death Metal and Street Punk are so populair, and i don't like those genres too much to begin with..
but i love the Dutch Sludge and Doom bands like Herder, Starve, Ortega, Throw Me In The Crater, Mower, Dresden/Leningrad and Ggu:ll.. and while there are lots of international bands that are far bether than those, in a lot of cases i'll choose the Dutch ones first couse they are from my own country. just a little nationalistic thinking of me i think.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Apr 19, 2014 4:48 PM

Dec 2012
Regional music? That's a good one, Canada doesn't have any musicians except for that one fellow.
Apr 19, 2014 5:04 PM

Jan 2011
I really don't like most of the Chinese music I've heard, though I can't explain it, so...OPINIONS, I guess.

Apr 19, 2014 5:23 PM
Aug 2012
Yes, I do. I hate country music with a passion and it's the worst shit ever.

Every day I have to hear these godawful songs at school and at work. If I have to listen to Cruise or Sweet Annie one more time I think I might just kill myself.
Apr 19, 2014 5:55 PM

Dec 2013
I'm from Philly so rap is pretty big here but I love rap to death.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Apr 20, 2014 4:53 AM

Jan 2014
IntervisioN said:
Regional music? That's a good one, Canada doesn't have any musicians except for that one fellow.

So, let's see: Voivod, Kataklysm, Ex Deo, The Agonist, Kittie, Blackguard... Canada has awesome metal scene though I have to admit if these bands were American they'd be four times that famous, especially Voivod which I consider being one of the greatest bands ever.
And there are also famous bands like Rush or Nickelback...
Apr 20, 2014 5:00 AM

Mar 2012
In my country there is a genre called "dangdut".
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 21, 2014 6:23 AM
Mar 2014
Rap and Reggaeton is whats often heard where I live.
Hip Hop is dead.

It's all in the concern whether I like the instrumental along with the lyrics.
If its not god I dont take appeal to it.
I'm open to most genres, excluding country and pop.
Can't have a Rainbow with REYN, BABY!
Apr 21, 2014 6:30 AM

Mar 2014
Terminus124 said:
IntervisioN said:

So, let's see: Voivod, Kataklysm, Ex Deo, The Agonist, Kittie, Blackguard... Canada has awesome metal scene though I have to admit if these bands were American they'd be four times that famous, especially Voivod which I consider being one of the greatest bands ever.
And there are also famous bands like Rush or Nickelback...

Voivod, Skull Fist and Iron Dogs. thats all i need from Canada.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Apr 21, 2014 11:33 AM

Feb 2013
I live in Spain and we have "flamenco" music and no, l dont like it at all...l respect it because i know its like art in here but i just dont like it.

we also have very good metal bands and rap singers that are very popular on here. its not only flamenco.

Apr 21, 2014 11:57 AM

Oct 2013
I was born in the same city as Lemmy from Motorhead so I'm not one to complain. However, I do now happen to live only 5 miles from where Harry Styles from One Direction grew up, so it's swings and roundabouts. It's not prejudice if I understand what I don't like.
The world’s not perfect, but it’s there for us trying the best it can. That’s what makes it so damn beautiful.
Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist)

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7572 by Jonas-K »»
30 minutes ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
Today, 1:16 AM

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
Yesterday, 9:05 AM

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

10 by not-perfect »»
Yesterday, 2:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.