Forum Settings
Forums

Has a show ever made you take a break from Anime?

New
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2014 10:56 PM

Jan 2013
After watching Mirai Nikki, I stopped watching anime for some weeks because I was blinded by its masterpiece I lost my faith in the medium.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 13, 2014 7:29 AM

Nov 2012
I quit woman after Mirai Nikki.
Apr 13, 2014 7:34 AM

Mar 2014
The Second Barrage as a whole Hansel and Gretel made me lose my mojo for a bit, I guess. And/or the Time-Wasting arc of Higurashi. That arc was poo.
Apr 13, 2014 7:37 AM

Aug 2008
Distinctly remember a few that made me want to die; others have been long purged from my memory (as well as my list) for fear of my life.

Da Capo III
Yoake Mae Yori Ruriiro Na
Magi
Setokai no Ichizon
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Apr 13, 2014 7:51 AM

Mar 2014
Deserada said:
Distinctly remember a few that made me want to die; others have been long purged from my memory (as well as my list) for fear of my life.

Da Capo III
Magi
Setokai no Ichizon

I remember it being average; was it really that bad that it made you wanna kick the bucket?
Apr 13, 2014 7:58 AM

Jan 2013
Deserada said:

Da Capo III
Magi
Seitokai no Ichizon

I hate harems but I found it to be one of the rare good ones.
TrequartistaApr 13, 2014 8:05 AM
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Apr 13, 2014 12:20 PM

Nov 2012
I didn't care too much for Magi (aside from Sinbad & morgiana) but I wouldn't say it was gut wrenching.....
Apr 13, 2014 2:35 PM

Jul 2012
mythical020 said:
Ah... I think I know what you mean. This is what's happening to me now. After finishing Gin no Saji 2, I can't focus on any other anime in my watch list. It's just so good and brilliant that my mind subconsciously think that there would be nothing better than it. (and the manga isn't updated yet *sigh*)

Check out Uchuu Kyoudai! Same type of comedy, the whole "reach your dreams" kind of theme and even more :D They both focus on non-mainstream topics: Space & Agriculture.

Ratohnhaketon said:
Not anime as a whole, but Major makes me want to take a break from baseball anime. It's been a great ride but powering through six seasons has taken its toll.

It made me take a break from sports anime for me.
Apr 13, 2014 2:46 PM
Jan 2014
GENERALxRAIDEN said:
Steins;Gate is the only anime I can think of where I need a grace period before watching another anime. If I don't take some time after watching it then I unintentionally end up comparing the anime I'm watching to Steins;Gate and it ruins the viewing experience.
This same thing happened to me but with different animes. after completing angel beats i went straight into clannad and it ruined the whole series for me. i don't have an exact reason why it did but it just did. also almost done with steins; gate its awesome
Apr 13, 2014 6:23 PM

Jun 2013
Clannad. I watched the first episode because I was curious about why everyone praised it. I then took a few hours to ponder what is wrong with humanity, why everyone is an idiot, and when did we take a wrong turn.

Then I watched something good.
Apr 13, 2014 6:26 PM

Mar 2014
I think I started watching Guilty Crown and after the first few episodes I took quite a long break. Possibly a year long.
Apr 13, 2014 6:37 PM

Sep 2013
Major not only made me start to watch anime again a lot more, but it also made me watch a lot of sports anime, especially baseball related. By the way, I have never watched a single baseball match in real life and probably never will.
Apr 13, 2014 6:42 PM

Jan 2013
I took a week long break after watching Monster. Its rare for me to get immensely invested into an anime like that.
Apr 13, 2014 6:44 PM

Nov 2013
Yes. It's called Cowboy Bebop. The most overrated garbage on the planet. I'd rather watch a live stream of Call of Duty for the rest of my life.
Anime>Breaking bad.
Apr 13, 2014 6:46 PM

Dec 2012
No. One show is not representative of the entire vast medium that is anime. I don't really see the logic in self-banning yourself from the medium because of one self-contained show when you can just stop watching the show you had the bad experience with and just watch something else.

I mean, I didn't quit "movies" after watching Battlefield Earth or The Cell despite how much they suck.
KruszerJun 5, 2014 5:50 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 13, 2014 7:33 PM

Jul 2012
I took a two months break after 22 episodes of Lucky Star.
הלב שלי כבר מת
Apr 13, 2014 7:46 PM

Aug 2012
edolas arc in fairy tail made me take a two month break from all anime. Watched lost during that time :P
Apr 13, 2014 8:53 PM
Jul 2018
Korrvo said:
Monogatari

Like lately with second season.

It's one of my favorite anime series an all, possibly my favorite, but god damn that stuff takes a toll on you if you're immersed enough.

I felt that way too. When it was airing, each episode put me in a 2-3 day break from anime because I honestly couldn't stop thinking about what happened, what might happen next and how I would react if this character showed up or that character were to die. Intense feelings of that caliber usually are accompanied by breaks for me.
Apr 14, 2014 5:23 AM

Nov 2012
jorgensen said:
edolas arc in fairy tail made me take a two month break from all anime. Watched lost during that time :P

Haha yeah that was officially the worst arc imo.
I did take a long break from the manga during that.
Apr 14, 2014 7:55 AM

Aug 2013
Haibane Renmei (in a good way) It was really thought provoking and well made.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (in a bad way)
Apr 14, 2014 12:02 PM

Jan 2014
I stopped watching anime for a half a year because of Inuyasha.. It was very hard to watch.. I had weird nightmares or dreams for a month. (and Inuyasha isn't even scary, it was just too weird).
The same happened when I tried a second attempt on Inuyasha. I still haven't seen it until the end.

And i took a small break because of Angel beats.. It was so sad, that I needed some time to let it sink in.
Apr 14, 2014 12:36 PM
Dec 2013
Nope. Too much anime to watch to take a break from it. Although I did delay my viewing of the next episode of Samurai Champloo after watching episode 22, because that episode was so fucking bad and a waste of time. But it's unfair to take a break from anime altogether just because of 1 anime.

I also use to take a break from an anime when I was halfway through the show. Say if an anime was 26 episodes long, I'd take a break after watching 13 episodes. I remember taking a break from Cowboy Bebop so I could finish watching Death Note. I also took a huge break from Neon Genesis Evangelion after 13 episodes, because I just kept stumbling upon negative things about it on the internet, and I couldn't stand Asuka bullying Shinji and Rei.
wildhoodApr 14, 2014 5:10 PM
Apr 14, 2014 1:11 PM

Jun 2013
Yes. After finishing Chaos;Head and only watching the first 2 episodes of Robotics;Notes, I don't think I've watched anime in a long while. Need to get back to it soon.
Apr 14, 2014 3:38 PM

Sep 2013
Somehow Katekyo Hitman Reborn made me take a break from anime for a while and now I watch way less episodes than before.

... But I seriously don't know why. It's not I like I hated it that much and it wasn't some sort of masterpiece so I don't understand why. I guess making fun of it was that much entertaining? Fran was too awesome? I don't get it.

Beyond that, I don't really have any more anime that made me do that.
Apr 14, 2014 6:00 PM

Aug 2013
Probably every anime I watch unless it's a comedy skit type. I wouldn't say it's a huge break but like a week of just contemplation then I'm back. Otherwise I've never had a month(s) long break from anime unless I can't decide what genre I want to watch.
Apr 14, 2014 11:11 PM

Oct 2013
No. But reality has.
Apr 15, 2014 1:37 AM

Mar 2014
boofhead185 said:
No. But reality has.

> relevance to topic
> so edgy
Apr 17, 2014 6:48 AM

Nov 2012
Kyouma-Hououin said:
Yes. After finishing Chaos;Head and only watching the first 2 episodes of Robotics;Notes, I don't think I've watched anime in a long while. Need to get back to it soon.

I think you've more than likely saved my life there.
Apr 17, 2014 6:51 AM

Jan 2012
i tend to do this if i marathon a show or watch loads of episodes in a day, usually i only have time for an episode or two a day if im lucky now with work so anime is just a luxury as and when, but say i have a few days off and watch lots of it, i welcome when im back at work and go back to just watching it sparingly as i appreciate it so much more!
Apr 17, 2014 7:17 AM

Apr 2011
ArcAdeAlchemist said:
jorgensen said:

Haha, no. Edolas arc was still in the "gray" area. It was the S-Class trial arc that truly fucked things up. I don't think I've read/watched a worst storyline than the one presented in that arc.
Apr 17, 2014 9:10 AM

Apr 2012
i've been watching anime for the past 11 or so years (longer if you cound the old school toonami days) and there's been a couple times that i've taken some pretty big breaks just from growing tired of the medium. whether you like to admit it or not a lot of anime generally tends to share the same worn out character archetypes, themes, etc (like most mediums though) and after so much viewing it can get kind of old. my most recent break lasted a couple months, but i read a lot of manga in that time frame so i guess that doesn't really count. the longest was a little over a year.
"I’m just watching a bad dream I never wake up from."
Apr 17, 2014 11:26 AM

Nov 2013
I did take a break once. It's a long story. I'll shorten it -

Started watching animes since I was 4. When I was 6 , Fushigi yugi was on TV, and so I was watching it. I found the plot intriguing. Welll, there was a weird perverted scene in it ( which now I know is a pretty typical scene for all animes )...anyways, it was too much for my young innocent mind to take. Swore to refrain from watching " Animax", the channel where it was airing.
Meh.....After few months, continued watching anime again ( except that one ).

I recall that was the only time I took a short break from all anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2014 11:34 AM
Apr 2008
VanishingKira said:
Durarara!!,disliked it so much I started reading light novels and discovered the masterpiece Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria.

So from one light novel to the next.
Apr 17, 2014 2:25 PM

Nov 2012
yhunata said:
ArcAdeAlchemist said:
jorgensen said:

Haha, no. Edolas arc was still in the "gray" area. It was the S-Class trial arc that truly fucked things up. I don't think I've read/watched a worst storyline than the one presented in that arc.
KO

Yeah I was pretty disappointed with the hades fight.. Other than a coll soundtrack it was pretty lackluster.
Apr 17, 2014 2:32 PM

Apr 2014
Nope never had to stop, keep the anime train rolling
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 17, 2014 2:35 PM

Jul 2013
endless 8 arc- my head hurt so bad after marathoning that arc

kuroko no basket 1st season- the epicness of the show made me start playing basketball again and start exercising more often. that takes time away from watching anime
orchidorkApr 17, 2014 2:38 PM
Apr 17, 2014 2:38 PM

Nov 2012
Any good ecchi anime. There's only so many times I can fap.
how i r8

1- crpy animee no gud
10- gud aniem, dep plot, lots of cute grls
Apr 17, 2014 3:41 PM

Apr 2014
After i finished watching Suisei no Gargantia I took around 6 month untill I started watching anime again. It's thanks to Gargantia I haven't watched a Mecha anime since.
Have you worshiped our Empress today?

Apr 17, 2014 3:49 PM

Apr 2014
Haruhi Suzumiya.

Endless Eight. Anyone?
Apr 17, 2014 5:15 PM
Apr 2010
Every time I look at a poster for a new anime season I feel like taking a break. But Jojo and Knights of Sidonia looks nice.
Apr 17, 2014 9:56 PM

Nov 2012
-Broseph- said:
Haruhi Suzumiya.

Endless Eight. Anyone?

I will never get those four hours of my life back.... Neeeever
Apr 17, 2014 10:01 PM

Jan 2013
-Broseph- said:
Haruhi Suzumiya.

Endless Eight. Anyone?

Best thing ever.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Apr 17, 2014 10:08 PM

Aug 2009
Would say Queen's Blade, but... Two shows a year, and this was six months after I watched HOTD, which I liked.

Apr 17, 2014 10:31 PM
Aug 2013
Macross Frontier and Durarara. I had to stop watching anime for a year after watching these two.
Apr 17, 2014 10:51 PM

May 2013
Steins;Gate, I really liked it, caused me to stop watching for 1 month.

I watched Infinite Stratos after watching Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Never have I been this disappointed in a main character. The difference between Ichika and Hachiman is just too great I stopped watching for another month.
Apr 21, 2014 1:45 PM

Nov 2012
portgas123 said:
Macross Frontier and Durarara. I had to stop watching anime for a year after watching these two.

Liked or disliked?

Cheeeeeeese said:
Steins;Gate, I really liked it, caused me to stop watching for 1 month.

Yup I know the feels.
Apr 21, 2014 2:02 PM

Jan 2014
I dont get people who watched this entire Endless 8 thing, I really dont. When you notice after like 3 episodes that the same scenes and same patterns start to emerge, isnt it easy to just STOP WATCHING it then? Like what's the problem? When a new episode was released, wasnt it easy to just start the episode mid-way, see the similarities, and then click away the browser tab and start watching something else? Clearly i must be overlooking something... Otherwise... Yeah... It just sounds so stupid to me lol... Torturing yourself to see the same damn thing 8 times over.
Jun 5, 2014 4:57 AM

Oct 2013
The anime Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt just made me take a break from anime and it's probably going to be until late July. There is no anime like it that I haven't watched.

I actually loved the dubbed. Usually the dub censors stuff but it was even more vulgar.
Jun 5, 2014 5:00 AM
Jan 2013
Yup, Koi Kaze did. It was so bad it made me actually avoid anime for a little bit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2014 5:04 AM

Jul 2013
No.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 51 minutes ago

4 by Lhundrup »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 6 hours ago

8 by Lucifrost »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 1 hour ago

3 by SnipeStrike »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

121 by neolucaman »»
16 minutes ago

» Why were children’s anime dubs so unappreciated?

funtime43_tr - Today

19 by neolucaman »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.