Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 4, 2009 1:01 PM

Sep 2008
Lilladyk said:

Now for my opinion we all have watch dis series since season 1 we all know how haruhi is...so dis is not a surprise ! Infact i found it funny when Mikuru was gettin (as some of yall would put it) SO CRUELLY TORTURED BY THE DEVEL HERSELF lol Yea poor Mikuru always the victim nd poor haruhi the one whos always wrong and gets blamed thats always how it goes.... I glade Kyon didnt hit her cuz haruhi obviously likes him alot and how would you feel if the one you love hurt you physically.

So since everyone else is taking sides im taking haruhi's side

Forgive me if that made no sense lol ^^
So I guess you found that Haruhi's actions in this episode were not a bit more extreme compared to just making Mikuru dress up in outfits? If you found this funny, go to some parties and get drunk, then do something you really would never do. Son't worry, everyone will think it's funny.

Sometimes people need to be hit back into reality, and Haruhi really needed a punch in the face or a slap or something. Morally speaking, she totally stepped out of line, calling people "toys".
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2009 1:32 PM

Oct 2007
HawthorneKitty said:
So I guess you found that Haruhi's actions in this episode were not a bit more extreme compared to just making Mikuru dress up in outfits? If you found this funny, go to some parties and get drunk, then do something you really would never do. Son't worry, everyone will think it's funny.

Sometimes people need to be hit back into reality, and Haruhi really needed a punch in the face or a slap or something. Morally speaking, she totally stepped out of line, calling people "toys".

I don't see how you'd condone Kyon smacking or punching Haruhi, if you consider calling people "toys" morally wrong. Haruhi was definitely acting like a spoiled brat, but Kyon was a fool for raising his fist. And spiking the drink may have been extreme (which I don't really think it is. What's a little prank among friends), but Haruhi just suggested it. I don't see anyone blaming Tsuruya for actually being the one to do it.

Thank god for Koizumi. He's been money all season long.

vinesage said:

I think you have it right vinesage. Haruhi's definitely spoiled and is adamant about getting her way. But when people have pushed back, she's relented and listened. When people have agreed to follow along, like Mikuru and the pond, or Tsuruya and the sake, everyone still blames Haruhi for acting like a monster. No one gives her credit for being flexible, which she's been proven to be going all the way back to season 1.
Sep 4, 2009 1:42 PM

Sep 2008
rabbitpoets said:

I don't see how you'd condone Kyon smacking or punching Haruhi, if you consider calling people "toys" morally wrong. Haruhi was definitely acting like a spoiled brat, but Kyon was a fool for raising his fist. And spiking the drink may have been extreme (which I don't really think it is. What's a little prank among friends), but Haruhi just suggested it. I don't see anyone blaming Tsuruya for actually being the one to do it.
So are you one of those people extremely against violence? Would you have just given Haruhi a scolding and leave it off at that? Why was Kyon's action a fool's?

Lets just pretend you had a daughter. Eh, no harm done, her friends just specifically spiked her drink and is making out with one of those friends, it's okay, they're friends and everyone's having a good time.

Tsuruya is at fault too, but it still traces back to Haruhi. She said she was sorry, and that was about 100000 times better than how haruhi responded. I understand it's not her character to apologize, and we can probably infer that she would never say it in the first place, but just seeing it makes me cringe.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2009 2:03 PM

May 2007
Haruhi acted like a bitch, Kyon should have hit her D:
Nonetheless, a really good episode. :)

Sep 4, 2009 2:23 PM

May 2008
Kyon reaction was normal but not doing anything at all is also wrong. still
Kyon would done something else to show that he had enough.....out of character
yes, good thing that he realize what he did and tried to do something about it.
Sep 4, 2009 2:23 PM

Jul 2008
o KYON MAD =D
Sep 4, 2009 2:29 PM

Aug 2008
Finally. It's taken this long to get an episode as good as Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
Sep 4, 2009 2:41 PM

Aug 2008
Kyon seems to seriously be the only sensible man not only out of his club, but out of the entire world.
Sep 4, 2009 3:00 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Yuki gave Mikuru another naisu hito! It was interesting to see Kyon and Haruhi arguing over Mikuru.

Sep 4, 2009 3:19 PM

Jan 2008
Kyon should have smacked Haruhi.
Seriously. Even if it ended the world, she deserved it this episode. >:

Besides that, great ep.
Sep 4, 2009 3:30 PM

Apr 2008
Good episode, but I'm kinda over this show...I seriously think Endless Eight killed it for me. I'm so sick of Haruhi. xD
Sep 4, 2009 3:31 PM

Jan 2009
Kyon rage was surprising and epic intenseness.

Super kawaii and her effect on surroundings increasing.

I love how simple language, hides like deeper meaning.

Love/hate relationship.
Sep 4, 2009 3:37 PM

Dec 2007
Ah yes, this is one of the few scenes where I was pretty dissapointed by Kyon while reading the novels.
Trying to punch someone like that , especially a girl, is something only an idiot would do.

And Haruhi being a selfish bitch? There are countless of scenes in the novels and in the series which prove the contrary. I don't know what you were doing while watching/reading them but you clearly weren't paying attention.

In any case, great episode, but I guess the haters will find some fault somewhere again.
yakisobapanSep 4, 2009 3:59 PM
Sep 4, 2009 4:00 PM

Aug 2007
Hm, I don't get annoyed with Haruhi much, but her actions in this ep kind of bugged me. Similarly, I can't believe Kyon was going to hit her. Both of them disappointed me, lol.

Funny how Kyon gets jealous of Koizumi so easily. He's becoming quite annoying.
Sep 4, 2009 4:15 PM

Sep 2008
Charliehsv said:
Ah yes, this is one of the few scenes where I was pretty dissapointed by Kyon while reading the novels.
Trying to punch someone like that , especially a girl, is something only an idiot would do.

And Haruhi being a selfish bitch? There are countless of scenes in the novels and in the series which prove the contrary. I don't know what you were doing while watching/reading them but you clearly weren't paying attention.

In any case, great episode, but I guess the haters will find some fault somewhere again.
I guess you're another one of those people really against violence. If you ran into that kind of situation, I'm sure giving a stern warning and waving your finger will do the job.

If you keep comparing the light novels to the anime I bet you'll be disappointed in some way or another, just like with pretty much any theatrical adaptation of a book.

Besides, what you are saying is coming from somebody that has Haruhi as their favorite character. We're not haters, you're just loving her too much.
Sep 4, 2009 4:35 PM

Dec 2007
HawthorneKitty said:
Charliehsv said:

I guess you're another one of those people really against violence. If you ran into that kind of situation, I'm sure giving a stern warning and waving your finger will do the job.

If you keep comparing the light novels to the anime I bet you'll be disappointed in some way or another, just like with pretty much any theatrical adaptation of a book.

Besides, what you are saying is coming from somebody that has Haruhi as their favorite character. We're not haters, you're just loving her too much.

It would do the job better than punching someone with your fists. You can resolve that situation in many ways, without hurting someone, and without resorting to the stren warning and finger pointing which you seem to love to use as a stereotype.

Uh, I wasn't comparing them. But my bad, I should have written anime instead of series, since that's what I meant. Point was that in even anime only viewers should have noticed that she cares a great deal for her bridage members.

Eh no, I wouldn't say so. I never denied that she tends to do seemingly selfish things, but just writing her off as a "bitch" is so shallow since there's much more to her character. But I guess the easiest way to dismiss anyone's argument is to simply call that person a fanboy. Oh well.
yakisobapanSep 4, 2009 4:46 PM
Sep 4, 2009 4:42 PM

Apr 2008
All in all , people call haruhi a bitch because they are obsessed with asahina.... and kyon fits in with the obsession too. (so its obvious to see people showing favoritism in defense of asahina and kyon)

It's not like all the characters are perfect ... sure haruhi might "live in her own world" (but hell that revolves around the story right?) so because of that she might act the way she does.... and kyon does everything half-assed to the point which he should just punch himself, as for asahina.... someone needs speech lessons to control that stutter ><
LvhinaSep 4, 2009 4:45 PM
Sep 4, 2009 4:49 PM

Sep 2008
Charliehsv said:
HawthorneKitty said:
Charliehsv said:

It would do the job better than punching someone with your fists. You can resolve that situation in many ways, without hurting someone, and without resorting to the stren warning and finger pointing which you seem to love to use as a stereotype.
I, in the first place, wouldn't have gotten nearly as angry in any case.

Uh, I wasn't comparing them. But my bad, I should have written anime instead of series, since that's what I meant. Point was that in even anime only viewers should have noticed that she cares a great deal for her bridage members.

Eh no, I wouldn't say so. I never denied that she tends to do seemingly selfish things, but just writing her off as a "bitch" is so shallow since there's much more to her character. But I guess the easiest way to dismiss anyone's argument is to simply call that person a fanboy. Oh well.
So you're implying that words are enough to stop a character such as Haruhi? It might not be the absolutely best way to resolve problems, but you can see uneasiness just oozing out of Mikuru. I use the warning thing because nobody else will come up with another way to stop Haruhi, so please enlighten me with a new way. If you would have not got as angry as Kyon has, you must not have seen that much in life, or made a strong connection with somebody in real life.

I'm not denying that she cares about her members, bu honestly, would you want to be treated that way? Even if it was the spur of the moment, Haruhi's actions and diction were extremely uncalled for. Obviously she needs to learn that what she does can affect others around her.

I don't know it just isn't convincing with somebody that has the following: Favorite Anime - Haruhi, Favorite Character - Haruhi, Favorite Voice Actor - Aya Hirano. I'm not saying that being is a fanboy is bad, but somtimes you need to notice that your favorite whatever has plenty of bad points when they are thrown right into your face and not just covering it with all the virtues of the whatever it is.
Sep 4, 2009 4:56 PM

Aug 2009
I luved it~ :3

The fight between Kyon and Haruhi was so cute in a way~

Although, the sake was unreasonable DX

Thanks to Shiro-chan for scripting! ♥

Jun 2009
Charliehsv said:
HawthorneKitty said:
Charliehsv said:

This. I agree with Charliehsv, to just write off Haruhi as a "bitch" is completely missing the point of some of the episodes in the first season (the "God Knows" episode, for example) that showed the viewer that there is much much more to Haruhi's character.

Conversely, this episode shows a bit of the "worse" side of Kyon's personality. But, I don't think it was that scene in particular that pissed him off, I think that all the events up until that scene added up to his anger and,well, he just exploded.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Jan 2009
Lvhina said:
someone needs speech lessons to control that stutter ><
Don't mind me, I'm not Mikuru's or either Haruhi's fanboy, I don't like em' at all, but how's she's being a slutter? She's just doing what Haruhi says, yet some people here says she's responsible of all the events that just ocurred in Tsuruya's house. She is a tool.

But then again I understand the big amount of fanboyism towards Haruhi; Kawaii, cool, hardheaded and she does what she wants, Kyon just didn't accepted the fact that she was using someone else as a tool to satisfy her desires, also, to all those who says they readed the novels, if you took a peak closely to it, he didn't even knew what he was doing when he raised his fist, he came up again to his sense when he found out that Koizumi was holding his fist, but nevertheless he still insisted afterwards on punching her. And anyone who doesn't put on his possition is a totally fucked up retard.

Yes, Haruhi does care about the members of SOS, but then again, she was out of his mind on that room, god, just imagine yourself watching someone else hiting the head of a drunk girl. It may be soft, it might be hard, she was still hiting Asahina's head. Kyon just couldn't stand up and thats it, get over it.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Sep 4, 2009 5:02 PM

Sep 2008
usasoldiern said:
This. I agree with Charliehsv, to just write off Haruhi as a "bitch" is completely missing the point of some of the episodes in the first season (the "God Knows" episode, for example) that showed the viewer that there is much much more to Haruhi's character.

Conversely, this episode shows a bit of the "worse" side of Kyon's personality. But, I don't think it was that scene in particular that pissed him off, I think that all the events up until that scene added up to his anger and,well, he just exploded.
SO with past occurrences that we have seen, you're just going to ignore this episode and her extremely "bitchy" demeanor? Obviously she's not a 2-d character, being a main character and all, but you can't say that she was not a "bitch" in this episode.
Sep 4, 2009 5:09 PM

Jun 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
usasoldiern said:

SO with past occurrences that we have seen, you're just going to ignore this episode and her extremely "bitchy" demeanor? Obviously she's not a 2-d character, being a main character and all, but you can't say that she was not a "bitch" in this episode.

No, she most definitely was in the wrong. But, you can't ignore the fact that Kyon was most definitely going to hit her.. and hit her considerably harder than the tap Haruhi gave to Mikuru, if Koizumi hadn't stopped him.

But, you know, this episode and arc sort of puts some of the scenes from the latter half of season one in perspective. And, I absolutely refuse to use the word "bitch" to describe Haruhi there is so much more to her than that.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 4, 2009 5:18 PM

Sep 2008
usasoldiern said:
HawthorneKitty said:
usasoldiern said:

No, she most definitely was in the wrong. But, you can't ignore the fact that Kyon was most definitely going to hit her.. and hit her considerably harder than the tap Haruhi gave to Mikuru, if Koizumi hadn't stopped him.

But, you know, this episode and arc sort of puts some of the scenes from the latter half of season one in perspective. And, I absolutely refuse to use the word "bitch" to describe Haruhi there is so much more to her than that.
So are we comparing the amount of strength put into the punch to her tappings? It almost sounds like if Kyon tapped her repeatedly, it would be ok.

Would somebody please just tell me, if you were in Kyon's position, what would you have done, and predict the following consequences to said action? I think I'm already a broken record by now.
Sep 4, 2009 5:19 PM
Mar 2009
Damn it, Kyon punching Haruhi would have been one of the greatest moments in anime history

She deserves it so much... The only reason I watch this show is because Kyon always has funny/interesting monologue and I love his sarcastic tone, but god damn, Haruhi is the most annoying main character ever made, she needs to be bitch slapped right away
Sep 4, 2009 5:35 PM

Dec 2007
HawthorneKitty said:
So you're implying that words are enough to stop a character such as Haruhi? It might not be the absolutely best way to resolve problems, but you can see uneasiness just oozing out of Mikuru. I use the warning thing because nobody else will come up with another way to stop Haruhi, so please enlighten me with a new way. If you would have not got as angry as Kyon has, you must not have seen that much in life, or made a strong connection with somebody in real life.

I'm not denying that she cares about her members, bu honestly, would you want to be treated that way? Even if it was the spur of the moment, Haruhi's actions and diction were extremely uncalled for. Obviously she needs to learn that what she does can affect others around her.

I don't know it just isn't convincing with somebody that has the following: Favorite Anime - Haruhi, Favorite Character - Haruhi, Favorite Voice Actor - Aya Hirano. I'm not saying that being is a fanboy is bad, but somtimes you need to notice that your favorite whatever has plenty of bad points when they are thrown right into your face and not just covering it with all the virtues of the whatever it is.

Words have been enough to stop her often enough before. With the right choice of words I'm confident that he could have stopped her. Or, he could have for example grabbed her arm, like Koizumi did to him when he was about to hit her (Kyon even did a similar thing earlier during the Sigh and it turned out just fine).
Still a million times better than beating her. And beating her because she called Mikuru a toy? Do you punch everyone who says things that annoy you?
Yeah, and go ahead and make assumptions about me and my relationships with people IRL. -_-

Yes, spiking the drink and such was completely uncalled for. Still, that doesn't justify Kyon's actions either. It's not the fact that he got angry that I mind - but trying to hit someone, especially with a clenched fist, is crossing the line by a wide wide margin.

I never said that she had a perfect personality - she too has her flaws like all the characters in this series. Don't put words into my mouth.
yakisobapanSep 4, 2009 6:49 PM
Sep 4, 2009 5:47 PM

Jul 2009
Somebody sure is trying his hardest to stamp "bitch" on Haruhi's face :D

Oh, words from people who have anything related to Haruhi on their favorites cannot convince you? lol...may I ask, did you come to the wrong thread here? Even the topic has Haruhi in it after all ^^

well, but so true...instead of choosing headless moe-blob characters (oora? ui?) as favorite, I chose the ultimate bitch Haruhi, who can do (seemingly?) nothing else than annoying the hell of other people...man, what was I thinking?? That was some huge failure on my part to even consider her other not-so-obvious characters...
Sep 4, 2009 5:48 PM

Apr 2008
@Mikiyo

I dont feel like quoting you... but i said STUTTER

"distorted speech characterized principally by blocks or spasms interrupting the rhythm."

so i do not know how you got whatever you interpretation from what i said
Mikiyo said:
Lvhina said:
someone needs speech lessons to control that stutter ><
Don't mind me, I'm not Mikuru's or either Haruhi's fanboy, I don't like em' at all, but how's she's being a slutter? She's just doing what Haruhi says, yet some people here says she's responsible of all the events that just ocurred in Tsuruya's house. She is a tool.

Edit: oops nevermind i ... qu-qu-quoted you (sorry i stuttered)
Sep 4, 2009 5:56 PM

Jan 2009
I could swear I saw slutter, ArarararararararagiLvhina-san.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Sep 4, 2009 5:57 PM

Apr 2008
Mikiyo said:
I could swear I saw slutter, ArarararararararagiLvhina-san.

HAHA, that was the fisrt that came to mind, but i didnt feel like quoting bakemonogatari :-D
Sep 4, 2009 6:52 PM
Jan 2009
drama o;. entertaining as always ;P
Sep 4, 2009 7:03 PM

Apr 2009
KYON SMASH!
Sep 4, 2009 7:04 PM

Aug 2008
Here's why I disliked the episode.
Koiziumi and Kyon's conversation
-Isn't this almost word for word the same conversation from the first season
Haruhi
-put bitch in 4th gear
Kyon
-really...you're going to punch her when she's patting Mikuru with plastic megaphone? Proportionate reaction, kid, grab her arm really hard...or shake her
-and his resolution to apologize came off as very forced and too quick. "I drank some milk so I guess I'm sorry now"? Give me a break.
Tsuruya
- wow, how big of a mop head are you? Just slip Mikuru a roofie and see what she really does. That'll be hilarious.
Visually
-this episode seemed really static. I remember thinking a bout halfway throught that the most movement I saw the whole episode was tossing Mikuru into the lake.

Reasons I liked the episode
-it was good for about a minute, when Kyon almost hit Haruhi. I personally think that she deserved a punch, not for what she did specifically that day (drugging Mikuru aside), but for everything she's put them all through during the course of the series.

So overall, I disliked it, 2/5. Clearly not the best episode, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody still gets my vote by a wide margin, since it's the only totally necessary episode of the show. I would have liked to have seen parts of this arc in the first season, but here, it's just taking up way too much time.
Sep 4, 2009 7:26 PM

Oct 2007
noteDhero said:

So overall, I disliked it, 2/5. Clearly not the best episode, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody still gets my vote by a wide margin, since it's the only totally necessary episode of the show. I would have liked to have seen parts of this arc in the first season, but here, it's just taking up way too much time.
'

Well there you go eh? Same here, none of this season really feels like it should matter much or like it isn't just retreading old ground....sometimes literally. It's pretty sad to see a season full of 90% or so filler, but then I guess it really doesn't matter in the long run does it. It obviously keeps the die-hards who are just happy to the characters on screen happy, but I have to wonder what it is with Kyoani and picking series that at first seem promising but then prove to have next to no character development and concept progression past a certain point that usually comes early rather than later. It usually doesn't pay to judge a book by it's cover, but lately it seems like what you see is what you get with them and that what you see is quite literally ALL you get.

I think the insult to injury is that after this arc ends (probably next week) we should theoretically go right back to the old episodes and end on that note. This basically means that unless they pull out all the stops next week I might have ultimately found a show that will top Gundam Seed Destiny as the most paltry of second season attempts (if you can really call it that) I have seen in the past couple decades. I equate it to when Midway slapped 98' on the box of Wayne Gretzky's 3D hockey and tried to sell to the gaming populace again at full price when really it was the exact same game with only a couple tweaks to the roster. So lame.....
PeacingOutSep 4, 2009 7:37 PM
Sep 4, 2009 7:30 PM

Sep 2008
Charliehsv said:
Words have been enough to stop her often enough before. With the right choice of words I'm confident that he could have stopped her. Or, he could have for example grabbed her arm, like Koizumi did to him when he was about to hit her (Kyon even did a similar thing earlier during the Sigh and it turned out just fine).
Still a million times better than beating her. And beating her because she called Mikuru a toy? Do you punch everyone who says things that annoy you?
Yeah, and go ahead and make assumptions about me and my relationships with people IRL. -_-

Yes, spiking the drink and such was completely uncalled for. Still, that doesn't justify Kyon's actions either. It's not the fact that he got angry that I mind - but trying to hit someone, especially with a clenched fist, is crossing the line by a wide wide margin.

I never said that she had a perfect personality - she too has her flaws like all the characters in this series. Don't put words into my mouth.
You obviously have not justified any comprehension of how disturbed and angered Kyon was. You don't seem to be fazed at all about the word "toy". I'm scared to how you view other people around you, and no I don't personally use physical violence, but I think I can understand why he took his course of action while you can't even fathom the thought of a raised fist against her. All I can understand by what you have explained is that you are extremely against violence.

Well, seeing as you only called her "seemingly selfish", you're just almost there. Say selfish. You just haven't said anything about her flaws and only acknowledged her beneficial traits in other parts of the story.
vinesage said:
Somebody sure is trying his hardest to stamp "bitch" on Haruhi's face :D

Oh, words from people who have anything related to Haruhi on their favorites cannot convince you? lol...may I ask, did you come to the wrong thread here? Even the topic has Haruhi in it after all ^^

well, but so true...instead of choosing headless moe-blob characters (oora? ui?) as favorite, I chose the ultimate bitch Haruhi, who can do (seemingly?) nothing else than annoying the hell of other people...man, what was I thinking?? That was some huge failure on my part to even consider her other not-so-obvious characters...
So are you saying that people can't openly dislike a certain character just because it's a Haruhi thread. Yeah, I'm going to go into a K-ON! (for the sake that you mentioned Ui) thread and talk about Haruhi instead.

What irks me is that people are in no way even thinking that she deserved to be reprimanded and bashing Kyon for his own decisions. It's not that people with Haruhi-related favorites are unable to convince me, it's just that nobody has tried to justify what she did and continue to blame Kyon instead. Besides, you'll have to dig a little deeper for my real favorites; yes my left list is a little misleading.
Sep 4, 2009 7:32 PM

Aug 2008
@Kaioshin_Sama
The problem is, in the case of Haruhi (as opposed to the Key crap, Munto, and K-On), the source seems to be good and solid. The first season was good, and Bamboo was good despite also being filler technically (it was wasn't it?). It was Kadokowa and KyoAni's decision to dig up content they felt unneeded for the first season, take one arc and do the same episode 8 times, and make a season out of it. It's a failure of production and not source material. But then, the light novels could end up being terrible for all I know.
Sep 4, 2009 7:35 PM

Jan 2009
I was a fan of haruhi. I own the entire first series on DVD. After watching season two, It's such garbage. worst anime of the decade.
Sep 4, 2009 7:43 PM

Oct 2007
noteDhero said:
@Kaioshin_Sama
The problem is, in the case of Haruhi (as opposed to the Key crap, Munto, and K-On), the source seems to be good and solid. The first season was good, and Bamboo was good despite also being filler technically (it was wasn't it?). It was Kadokowa and KyoAni's decision to dig up content they felt unneeded for the first season, take one arc and do the same episode 8 times, and make a season out of it. It's a failure of production and not source material. But then, the light novels could end up being terrible for all I know.

Gotta agree with you there again 100%. It's kind of like they felt they had done an insufficient first season (let's face it the first seasons narrative is bloody choppy even if viewed in chronological order) and tried to go back and augment it with these new episodes to fill in the gaps and just made it even less compelling thanks to horrible decision making. I don't think it comes down to the fact that they might think they can cash in and profit on it regardless, this is just like bad planning pure and simple.
Sep 4, 2009 7:51 PM
Dec 2008
wow cant believe kyon almost hit haruhi but NO U DONT HIT GIRLS KYON. DO MATTER WHAT (im a guy)
it was so cute how haruhi was doing the ponytail thing in the clubroom and how they made up so easily
and haruhi is just jealous of mikuru and kyon and is trying to get kyon byherself(not a spoiler just my thought)
Sep 4, 2009 8:01 PM

Aug 2008
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Gotta agree with you there again 100%. It's kind of like they felt they had done an insufficient first season (let's face it the first seasons narrative is bloody choppy even if viewed in chronological order) and tried to go back and augment it with these new episodes to fill in the gaps and just made it even less compelling thanks to horrible decision making. I don't think it comes down to the fact that they might think they can cash in and profit on it regardless, this is just like bad planning pure and simple.

Personally, I thought the first season was a total success. As a narrative it told two stories using the same episodes, dialogue, etc at the same time. Viewing the show in the aired order makes the show a random comedy where Haruhi is the main character, and Kyon is just a filter. That's the way I watched it in Japanese. If you watch it chronologically, it's a deeply sarcastic, equally funny look at the way Haruhi has affected Kyon's world, in which he is the main character of the show. This is how it felt when I re-watched it for fun a few months ago in English. They totally felt like two completely different shows even though I was watching the same thing. That could also be the affect of rewatching a show like re-reading a book, but even if that's the case, it's the first time in anime I've felt that way. I think it jumped around a bit, but as we can tell from this season, we weren't missing much. Especially if Kyon happens to have two revelations regarding Haruhi's insularity (BLR and Sighs) and still manages to treat her in the same fashion regardless.
Sep 4, 2009 8:17 PM

Aug 2006
Wow, intense. I'm glad Kyon was that angry because Haruhi was utterly out of control, and it was clear when she threw her friend into a probably disease ridden pool. If that wasn't obvious enough, Haruhi straight out says Mikuru is her toy.

People make too many exceptions for Haruhi because she's a god. That power means that is more of a need for people to teach her to be mature. In this episode, she insinuated that she doesn't respect anyone, and Kyon's right, no one will want to be around her in the future if no one in the present stands up to her behavior.
Sep 4, 2009 8:21 PM

Jan 2009
Ugh,I've been disliking haruhi more in this arc I feel bad for mikuru.
Sep 4, 2009 8:37 PM
Apr 2009
I'm starting to not like Haruhi as much anymore.
Sep 4, 2009 8:58 PM

May 2009
Kyon's reason for anger...the placebo effect!
Sep 4, 2009 8:59 PM

Jun 2009
Amy said:
Wow, intense. I'm glad Kyon was that angry because Haruhi was utterly out of control, and it was clear when she threw her friend into a probably disease ridden pool. If that wasn't obvious enough, Haruhi straight out says Mikuru is her toy.

People make too many exceptions for Haruhi because she's a god. That power means that is more of a need for people to teach her to be mature. In this episode, she insinuated that she doesn't respect anyone, and Kyon's right, no one will want to be around her in the future if no one in the present stands up to her behavior.

This. I agree with you on this.. just because she "may" be a god, doesn't mean she can treat people like her playthings, or "toys" in this case. Sighs is actually making Haruhi look dangerous in a way, which is why I think it is an absolutely essential arc.

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 4, 2009 10:20 PM

Jul 2008
poor Mikuru.....
Sep 4, 2009 10:33 PM

Oct 2007
I am disappointed!

Wasn't Kyoani being praised as a miracle studio when it comes to reset ending?
Why can't they just let us see Kyon punching Haruhi in the face and reset it back later on?
Come on, even if it just Kyon imagine I would love to see it done at least once.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Sep 4, 2009 11:21 PM

Jun 2009
Siva said:
I am disappointed!

Why can't they just let us see Kyon punching Haruhi in the face and reset it back later on?
Come on, even if it just Kyon imagine I would love to see it done at least once.

This post is ironic coming from someone who has a character from Aria as an avatar and, no, I am not insulting you.

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 4, 2009 11:44 PM

Oct 2007
Siva said:
I am disappointed!

I think that was just one story, but it tends to stick a bit in the memory doesn't it?
Sep 5, 2009 12:14 AM

Oct 2007
I know violence is wrong in any levels. BUT being a human for this long I can even understand that there are situations when "word" alone can NOT solve the problem. It doesn't matter if you are a fan of Haruhi or not, you can't deny that what she did and done are wrong because it is the fact. Put yourself in Kyon shoe and re-imagine that Haruhi has this kind of face.

Now tell me again that you DO NOT want to punch Haruhi character in the face.

@usasoldiern: Well, do you really think of Aria fan are some kind of people who only think of peace? I wish I could too but not in this world and this time.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

292 by Generose »»
Apr 12, 11:11 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

535 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:07 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

449 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 30, 2009

276 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:45 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jul 23, 2009

360 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.