Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Jan 3, 2018 10:55 AM

Jan 2016
Wow... what an episode. I can't tell if it was great or it was something else...
This episode showed fundamental flaws in most of the characters all of a sudden.

Nagato overlooked things. Koizumi tries to hard. Taniguchi, well, he's just flawed. Mikuru is too willing to do things. Tsuruya thinking everything is a joke.

And especially our two mains, Kyon and Haruhi. Haruhi's flaws were always there, and I don't think she isn't any more wrong-fully minded as she was before. Kyon... just in a general bad mood, would've actually resorted to physical violence...? I didn't quite expect that... I did notice over this arc Kyon has started to say things that are more offensive, but I wonder what will go from there...

But it's just as Haruhi says - realism in fiction - Kyon and Haruhi and everyone else I mentioned are just... teenagers. And the solution to their argument, is where Kyon realises he's just as bad as he makes Taniguchi to be, realising he is a hypocrite... Realism in fiction.

What's more surprising is that all of this occurred during production of the movie in broadcast order episode 1 - when I realised it I was quite surprised at the behind-the-scenes development.

Elsewhere, I liked the attention to detail - in the clubroom Haruhi was trying to put on a ponytail. It just goes to confirm that on the inside, Haruhi does have some feelings towards Kyon. (I didn't really pick that up before...)
May 12, 2018 9:59 AM

May 2016
I want to kill that bitch.......
Apr 28, 2019 8:37 PM
Jan 2019
Kyon in this ep is literally me whenever Haruhi bullies someone. Haruhi is a fucking annoying and selfish bitch. I don't get it. Why can anyone find her character interesting or even like her character? Go. To. Hell. Haruhi.
May 17, 2019 3:15 PM

Apr 2015
Haruhi's sexual abuse has now turned to physical abuse. Despite this, she's the 52nd most favorited character on MAL.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 20, 2019 7:36 AM

Apr 2014
How can I enjoy watching a spoiled brat doing and saying whatever she pleases?
Ugh, annoying.
May 27, 2019 11:06 AM
Apr 2018
Okay, I don't like violence but man, am I with Kyon on this one. Haruhi has been a complete brat this whole season, she deserved to be lectured, well, not really a lecture, and punched too. I can't imagine anyone willing to be around such a jerkass.
Aug 19, 2019 1:12 PM
Mar 2019
What Haruhi did was really bad and illegal as well. I don’t condone punching her though. Two wrongs don’t make a right.
Jan 30, 2020 5:39 AM

Feb 2019
This is the first episode where I feel genuine frustration towards Haruhi. She's really pushy, yes, but this is the first time that I was really angry at how she treated Mikuru. It's like she's abusing her, not respecting her as a human being but more like a dog, or as she said, a toy. Maybe violence was uncalled for, but the very act of almost hitting her seems to have snapped Haruhi, showing her that what she did was really unacceptable to Kyon.

I would've liked it better if she learnt something here. She might have powers like that but that doesn't mean she doesn't need to learn to be a decent human being. I wish Kyon would've said something to her, because even though she doesn't listen, I feel like Kyon is the only person she'll seriously listen to. I mean, she felt dejected that he snapped, not angry. And when Kyon entered the room, she was trying out a ponytail again, something Kyon once said he liked on her. Haruhi likes Kyon, I think.

But anyway, awesome episode! One of the best.
Apr 11, 2020 5:46 AM

Mar 2013
The mental gymnastic of the people defending Haruhi in this thread.... lmao
Apr 17, 2020 1:26 AM

Feb 2020
This was an interesting episode. I think one of the most memorable scenes is, of course, when Asahina is tipsy and Kyon is about to punch Haruhi. It really goes to show how careless and oblivious Haruhi is.

I found the part where Kyon realizes that he's acting no different from Taniguchi interesting, and where he went to tell Haruhi to continue the movie. Although it did piss me off how quickly she goes back to her normal stuck-up self, I think we can agree this move was necessary for the sake of, well, the universe.

Slightly off-topic, but this still sort of connects:

Just for reference, I'm watching in chronological order, so after episode 14 (or 24, chronologically), I would be watching, in order: Asahina's adventures, Live Alive, The Day of Sagittarius, Someday In The Rain (which are all from the first season) and then the movie.

Although there aren't many episodes left, I am wondering if in the movie they'll be any character development from Haruhi, considering how in this episode it just goes to show how power can get to her mind. I would say she has a god complex, although, in a sense, I guess she is kind of a goddess.

I'm getting off-topic here - regardless, very interesting episode, that angered me just a little because of Haruhi's behaviour.
Jun 18, 2020 6:31 PM

Aug 2014
Finally, a great episode of the Sigh!!!!

And awwwwwwwwww, Haruhi with the ponytail so Kyon can be nice to her again, awwwwww
Sep 1, 2020 1:07 AM

Mar 2019
For me her behaviour is very god-like -- in a Greek, not Japanese or Christian fashion.

I love the theme of balance. We sure are tipping at the edge of an abyss, as Koizumi said in the very first arc, when every change of mood can trigger unconscious reality warping.

I wonder how would the people who say Haruhi deserves a spanking would react if they were there, I mean, dealing with an overpowered entity that could kill you unconsciously.

Now imagine how this can be a metaphor for when we have to deal with our actual bosses in real life, or for that matter anyone with real power over us.
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Feb 12, 2021 9:11 PM

Oct 2020
Honestly season 2 was quite a downgrade from season 1 , This episode made me dislike Haruhi. Humilliaties her “friend” , wants to throw her into dirty water(Even if she accepts , You wouldn’t let that happen as a corcened friend) , Gets her drunk so she can do some acts with some dude , hits her. Who wants a friend like that? Put your yourself in Kyon’s shoes and you see your friend doing that to another friend , If you don’t get mad , You’re not a true friend. All of that from her jealousy , she doesn’t even apologize like Tsuruya , she probably thinks she did nothing wrong and Kyon goes back like a faithful dog , Gotta keep series running after all. I don’t get why people blame the victim Asahina , She clearly cannot refuse for obvious reasons

This thread is so disgusting filled with whiteknights. Waifu can do no wrong , I don’t mind if you like a bitch character , But don’t find excuses for all her actions. Recognize her flaws
Mar 17, 2021 7:38 PM

Jun 2014
This episode was "The Day of Sagittarius" for me.

This was quite entertaining. Showing them in a space opera setting was pretty cool, especially seeing Haruhi in a tight miniskirt! They almost lost, due to the computer club cheating, but Yuki figured them out, and rewrote the game.

May 12, 2021 8:38 PM

Jan 2019
Space battle episode- what a lovely one off story. Reminded me why I've loved this series so much.
May 18, 2021 9:58 AM
Jul 2020
Im starting to dislike suzumiya ngl
Jul 28, 2021 1:01 AM

Aug 2020
[chronological order]

Nice episode. Now we finally get to see where that meme came from (Nagato typing).

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jul 30, 2021 2:09 PM

Jan 2020
LOL that typing scene was cute and funny. There was no way that the SOS were gonna lose when a super hacker is on their side. Fun episode overall and I'm sad the next one is the last

Dec 28, 2021 12:46 AM

May 2020
[CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER]

Well things certainly got out of hands this time, with Kyon losing his cool on Haruhi. Can't blame him though as Haruhi indeed was in wrong there, asserting Mikuru to do those things.
Feb 1, 2022 5:16 PM

Dec 2007
am i the only person who would prefer kyon hit haruhi? not because i dislike her (i actually kinda like her crisma) but to see what would happen to the world. lol

best episode so far, it almost felt like a movie.
i'm waiting i want more weird things to happen along the filming.

kyon x haruhi's relationship are good, this episode showed that a lot.
though haruhi supposed to be good kami. lol
Jun 1, 2022 11:07 PM

Feb 2020
Haruhi would've deserved it ngl
Jun 3, 2022 11:46 PM
Jun 2021
lmfao y does Haruhi act like such immature brat
Jul 30, 2022 12:07 PM

Sep 2020
why is kyon such an incel?

> is ok with haruhi molesting asahina and clearly making her uncomfortable

> freaks out when she is about to kiss another guy (he didnt know the drink was spiked yet)

ignoring this point, he was absolutely right to smack some sense into her and the other guy is a bad person for stopping him.

the scene then ended with a case of stockholm syndrome.

it baffles (and slightly concerns me) that many viewers like her as a person
Oct 23, 2022 5:58 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Yeah, this episode demonstrated how much does Haruhi such as a person, even if from the inside that may not be the case. Excuses have a limit when you need to take responsibility. Absolute downgrade of the character from season 1 when that wasn't that apparent.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Nov 17, 2022 2:31 AM

Oct 2021
"Gundam!Ikimasu!"
Dec 18, 2022 6:09 PM
Dec 2022
It's a very fun anime. 10/10!
Dec 23, 2022 8:52 AM
Jul 2022
That was very intense.

I honestly prefer the Endless Eight arc over this. Pardon me for saying this, but this arc gives me prison-y feelings as I'm watching people with no free will taking constant abuse by someone who'd unconsciously destroy the balance in the world when things won't go their way.

Although I also would've hated it if it did end up getting violent.

Upon reading what anybody else here thought I do agree that the dynamics and relationships between the characters were spot-on and well-written!
There's some decent writing and most other characters are pretty interesting to watch, the sense of humor in here just isn't for me, even when it's fiction.
Dec 26, 2022 1:10 AM
Dec 2022
Haruhi deserved a slap lol. This eps makes me hates Haruhi because she is so selfish
Jan 14, 2023 3:53 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
(The Day of Sagittarius) 

Wow, another episode I actually truly enjoyed. It seems like I'm pretty cool with all of the individual episodes but dislike the longer arcs- which make up well over half of the whole series. It's just that I came into this with expectations of having some simple light-hearted fun, so when it got heavy or at least tried to be heavy it was just a major turn off. Anyhow, I don't mean to complain. Instead I'll just be grateful that I have watched this in chronological order and have ended this series with 2 episodes that I genuinely am fond of, maybe 3 if the last one is good as well. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jun 7, 2023 5:58 AM

Dec 2007
rewatch- chronological- ep27

this episode made me feel, that if nagato was important character 'till now, she's gonna have just more important rule than we thought. this episode is just as much as the baseball episode, but maybe even more.

if not for that, i really do not understand the need in this episode in this series story line.
Jul 2, 2023 6:26 PM

Oct 2016
Though throwing a punch would have been too much, Kyon standing up was good. Too bad by the end of it everyone went back to do what the piece of shit bitch wants.
Jul 11, 2023 2:31 AM

Jul 2021
could it be that haruhi is actually a terrible person or is it just me

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Aug 4, 2023 2:37 PM
Sep 2020
Nagato only get better and better
Jan 10, 10:23 AM

Mar 2020
I fucking hate this arc as much as Endless Eight if not more, while it was boring and repetitive at least I generally liked all the characters in it while here: Haruhi had become a complete abusive asshat to poor Mikuru, Kyon and Koizumi enables her even while knowing how awful she is being (Nagato gets a pass for being a mostly emotionless alien), at least Kyon is somewhat willing to stick up for her. The fact that they go as far to spike her drink really puts this on another level. I'm really starting to question just why I liked a show as meanspirited as this.

Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

292 by Generose »»
Apr 12, 11:11 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

535 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:07 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

449 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 30, 2009

276 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:45 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jul 23, 2009

360 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.