Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 31, 2014 11:29 AM
Nov 2010
This was a good anime. Some parts of the story were especially enjoyable. I hope there'll be a sequel announced.
Jan 30, 2015 6:53 PM

Nov 2011
It was very average for an open ending, neither bad nor good. With a cast as big as Space Brother's, they could have spent a lot more time giving glimpses into the future of other characters. The time skip kinda felt like cheating too, but I can live with it.

The ending isn't enough to get me to lower my rating, at least not for now. Space Brothers was consistently excellent with great characters and a solid plot. It mixed comedy and drama well, and it even had light thematic traits. This is an example of slice of life at its best.

Here's to hoping for a continuation someday. It was a great ride.
Feb 4, 2015 12:03 PM

Nov 2011
I have faith in this series. There should be a season2 for this.
Hoping they'll make this happen when the time is right!
Feb 13, 2015 7:30 AM

Jan 2012
Uchuu Kyoudai has brought back my childhood self, from the times when I was dreaming of becoming an astronaut, who would explore the deep cosmos, discover new possibilities, and reach for the distant worlds.
A truly inspirational, and touching series with characters that feel really alive - something that must be treasured in the times when so many authors release titles filled with their fear of being shut down due to low viewership in a form of overly used moe and cliche plot and characters.
I hope the both manga and anime, which I hope will be continued, will be led till the finale.
No more words: 10/10
Mar 3, 2015 4:07 AM

Dec 2013
I was hoping to see Mutta go into space, but I'm fine with this more realistic ending
Apr 1, 2015 4:56 AM

Oct 2008
Ehh this sure was one of those series that you initially really wanted to love ,but as it progresses and until the end it didn't really live up to its expectations.
For a 99 episodes series its quite shocking how very little is going on and how slow the progress and story flows.From the pacing that is either to slow or ironically much to fast at times,to the supporting characters who were extremely disposable and not very memorable,to the 2 main brothers relationship which to me didn't seem all that close or genuine like for instance the Elric's one in FMA.Everything just felt a bit off after Hibito's lunar incident ,after which the series really couldn't bring itself back on tracks.

Still a good anime either way,but for me its nowhere near the level of Planetes who managed to do such much,much more (story and character wise ) in only a quarter of the episodes.
amateurApr 1, 2015 5:22 AM
Apr 2, 2015 4:05 AM

Jun 2009
And...it's over. For now, anyway. I called it back around episode 30 or something that Mutta wouldn't be going to space in this series, looks like I was right. Even with two (two? I think two) large timeskips, he's still on the ground but he's getting closer and closer to his dream of getting to the moon. Getting to feel so moon. Looks like people were right and Hibito is in Russia, whether he's going to the ISS or the Moon or even to the Asteroid (remember what Hoshika said). Glad to see Vincent is finally going to the Moon. Can't wait for the eventual season 2!
Apr 16, 2015 1:50 PM

Aug 2010
I'm tearing up HIBITO TT______TT I was really hoping to see more of them living together in that house in Houston with Apo, wearing the same blue NASA jumpsuit, but...looks like it wont happen again TT_______TT

Russia... Damn, looks like Hibito x Olga is happening for real. Episodes after, yes I still cant deal with this. Truthfully when I heard about the "cosmonaut", one small reason why my heart kind of dropped is because it reminds me of Olga OTL (yes that's how much I'm affected by my dislike of Olga as Hibito's potential romantic interest/partner).

Although I am happy in the end he still wont give up his dream of becoming an astronaut, I guess I feel a little bit lonely that he wont be in Houston with Mutta. Well, if this can make them stand on the moon together, I guess that's okay, but still...a part of me will miss seeing them living together under one roof.

I guess what I've learned from this anime is that life wont be as you plan it to be, and there will be unexpected events. It's full of ups and downs. Really fitting for a title that's of the "slice of life" genre, one of the most accurate depiction of "reality" for an anime (from all that I've watched), I'd say.

Saw that the reviews were good before jumping in to watch this series, but the 'journey' with this series was not what I had expected. I definitely didnt think I'd be so emotionally caught up with this series (especially when it involves the Nanba brothers, my weakness), though it didnt happen all the time, it happens more often than I've ever experienced in an anime series.

I love the animation, especially of the space, moon, earth, they're gorgeous. I love the voice actor of Mutta's especially, I could never get bored of hearing Mutta. And I really like the Nanba family, especially Mutta and Hibito of course.

Although the pacing is kind of unstable, there are times when I feel it's a little too fast, and (more) times when I feel it's a little too slow especially with all those recaps/flashbacks, but in general I have to say it's quite alright with me. With this kind of plot, it makes more sense to have it a generally 'slow' pace.

It's been a year since the anime series have ended. Really hoping they'll be making a sequel out of this, seeing how the manga is still being released. I wonder how long we'll have to wait for there to be enough content to make a sequel? Not too long I hope!

An enjoyable series in so many ways. Perhaps the only slight regret that I might have in starting to watch this series, is the bittersweet emotion I have now after watching the last episode (and also because of what happened to Hibito), and also the withdrawals from (marathoning) this series that I know I'm going to have for the next few days. God help me OTL

I'll be waiting to see you two on the moon!
blue-yApr 16, 2015 2:08 PM
May 6, 2015 3:00 AM

Sep 2013
Holy shit....
A-1 Don't leave me hanging please....
May 30, 2015 2:46 PM

Nov 2014
Ending the episode with Feel So Moon was perfect.

Despite a few issues, really great show. It's probably one of the most entertaining I've seen.

4/5 for the episode.

8/10 overall.
Jun 28, 2015 6:36 PM

Feb 2011
More than 1 year passed and still no news on this series ever continuing. I miss it a lot and it's one of those cases where the anime is better than the manga :(
Jul 11, 2015 7:24 AM

Apr 2011
U can always welcome to read rest of manga.
~♥~ Otaku + Otaku - Otaku = Otaku ~♥~
Jul 14, 2015 11:23 PM

Apr 2013
Finally done. WOO! I want to punch myself in the year 2012 for neglect this glorious gem!

All the characters gave me so much warm feelings in my heart. . .cept for you Gates gtfo

All my fucks, all my 10s, ALL MY LOVE TO YOU SPACE BROTHERS!!
Aug 29, 2015 1:58 PM
Jul 2014
Surely this can't be the end?!? So much is left untold (will they fly together to space,what about that UFO/life in space that triggered all(brothers) up,will Mutta get a girl eventually or will he stay forever with his brothers dog, etc). I demand next season!!! Come on, only couple of episodes were happening in space?!?
Nov 29, 2015 3:49 AM

Jul 2011
Right in the feels. Great ending.

Unfortunate that the new eps aren't out yet :(

10/10.

hey hey, do you have smoked cheeze?
Nyoro~n
Dec 1, 2015 12:58 AM

Mar 2012
Ugh, didn't want him to actually go to Russia because that will just mean more Olga >_>

Pretty great series though it started dropping off a bit when Hibito was sent to Russia for rehab. Then there was the whole misfits sub crew ordeal where all we got out of it was a backstory from Betty who was the wife of a crew member that was on the Orion that crashed. The whole arc just felt rushed and lacking in development for the rest of the group.

Also, what the heck happened to Amanti? Pretty lame that she was just used for the whole psychic thing and then completely dropped off the face of the earth, kind of how Furuya has been forgotten as well.

On a positive note, gonna miss Mutta's hilarious and inspirational moments, Kenji the bromaster, and Apo the first pug I actually found to be adorable. Looking forward to continuing Mutta's journey to the moon whenever the anime returns :)
Dec 1, 2015 11:09 AM

Nov 2011
Avenger-senpai said:

Also, what the heck happened to Amanti? Pretty lame that she was just used for the whole psychic thing and then completely dropped off the face of the earth, kind of how Furuya has been forgotten as well.

You are very wrong my friend, one of things i love most about this show is how it never forgets people, it always brings back old characters in the most unexpected moments, i haven't read the manga but i will be very surprised if both Furuya or Amanti don't make a re-appearance, if not then i'm sure later in the story.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Dec 1, 2015 10:58 PM

Mar 2012
How I'm I wrong when it's true that we never saw them again lol. Of course there's a possibility that they'll make a reappearance in the future but from what we got in the anime, at the moment, they were basically forgotten. Also, never said it forgot characters in general as we saw with Fukuda giving them a call during the drone competition.
Dec 21, 2015 6:12 AM

Jul 2013
Come on, they can't end it like that. Hibito and Mutta needs to go to the moon together! The live action film was better.
Dec 21, 2015 11:01 AM

May 2015
Soren said:
Come on, they can't end it like that. Hibito and Mutta needs to go to the moon together! The live action film was better.

No, the live action film was not better. C’mon mate...
Anyhow, just wait for the second season for more….. and yes, I’m 90% sure it will come. I’m hoping 2017.

Since I’m here already. I'll say that this is one of the best and most compelling slice of life series out there I’ve watched, along with Silver Spoon and Barakamon. Anyway, 9/10 for the whole series.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Jan 5, 2016 5:03 PM
Feb 2011
This leaves a lot to be desired! But not in the negative aspect. There's so much left unseen. I'm really interested to see how Hibito, in Russia, works his way back to return to space. Mutta's continuing training for the lunar mission as well, and his relationship with Serika and also Sharon and her telescope project. I'd like to see more of Eddie Jay and Mutta's team too. Ugh I could go on forever!

Here's to hoping a sequel will happen!
May 13, 2016 2:08 PM

Feb 2012
Great final episode for a pretty much masterpiece.

9,5/10.

Manga, here I come!
Aug 20, 2016 3:21 PM
May 2015
Good shiet , will rate it 8.5/10- sure do hope another sequel arrives soon
Sep 9, 2016 5:19 PM
Dec 2009
So… that’s it. I have actually been putting off watching the last few episodes of the series for months. I didn’t want it to end :(

This didn’t feel like an ending at all. After 99 episodes it still seems like things are just beginning!

Even though this series is pretty long, I’ve already recommended it to so many people. Although it has it’s flaws and slow points, overall it’s such a fun show. You laugh and cry with the characters, and celebrate all their successes. Everyone is just so human, you can’t hate them. And it’s been very educational as well!

I would love to see more shows like this in the future. And I’d love to see a season 2 for this once the manga has finished or moved on far enough to warrant one.

I loved hearing that Nitta’s brother is doing OK. One step at a time. And his brother’s story was so relevant for Mutta right now.

I was also glad that Hibito finally contacted Mutta but my opinion remains the same. Hibito shouldn’t have just run off. It seems really drastic and immature. He could have at least said something like “Hey I need some time to think so I’m going to go on a trip”.

I guess we shouldn’t be surprised HIbito went to Russia after he fell in love with that girl last time… :P

At the end of the show when they were counting down to launch I started to tear up. I loved this show. Thanks for 99 great episodes, I can’t wait for the sequel!!
Dec 30, 2016 5:37 AM
Jul 2016
i was kinda disappointing that the show ended without any real achievement,
and it ends more like a pitch up for another season, which i doubt will happen, either way tho this show was great til its last episode.
Jan 17, 2017 3:54 PM

May 2015
Ehhh... I hope s2 will be a thing.

Man, I don't want to read the manga. I'm patient. :D

+ Olga is happy to have Hibito in Russia. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 1, 2017 12:42 AM

Dec 2013
This anime was both one hell of a roller coasters as well as an inspiration to me.

My name is Sean and I too have a little brother, his name is Bryan. At the time of starting this anime, my brother younger brother only 2 years younger than me has surpassed me in every possible way, better grades, better body, better everything. When we were little he used to do everything that I did, but now, he has finally not only caught up but surpassed me. After starting Uchuu Kyoudai, I realized that Mutta and I are in almost identical situations in life. Except my brother isn't an astronaut.

This anime has truly inspired me to take up and pursue my dreams, and to definitely try and catch up to my younger brother. This anime taught me many things and made reality seemed all the better.

This series didn't end and I believe it is because the manga hasn't gotten far enough. I hope that there will be more in the future but this is hands down one of the most down to earth series I've ever watched.

5/5 this episode. 9.5/10 this series.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Mar 1, 2017 9:23 AM

Nov 2011
kingsheep812 said:
This anime was both one hell of a roller coasters as well as an inspiration to me.

My name is Sean and I too have a little brother, his name is Bryan. At the time of starting this anime, my brother younger brother only 2 years younger than me has surpassed me in every possible way, better grades, better body, better everything. When we were little he used to do everything that I did, but now, he has finally not only caught up but surpassed me. After starting Uchuu Kyoudai, I realized that Mutta and I are in almost identical situations in life. Except my brother isn't an astronaut.

This anime has truly inspired me to take up and pursue my dreams, and to definitely try and catch up to my younger brother. This anime taught me many things and made reality seemed all the better.

This series didn't end and I believe it is because the manga hasn't gotten far enough. I hope that there will be more in the future but this is hands down one of the most down to earth series I've ever watched.

5/5 this episode. 9.5/10 this series.

Very nice my friend.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 2, 2017 4:37 AM

Jun 2016
11/10. What an utterly lovely series.

See you in the manga!
Jul 28, 2017 11:28 AM

Jul 2015
With that we reached the end (hopefully for now) of Space Brothers, amazing ride full of emotions and lovable characters, definitely a great series I was glad to pick up.

Well, time to read the manga!
Aug 7, 2017 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
does anyone know how long is the anime production pause for? is there news on a new season? the manga has gotten pretty far ahead i guess
Aug 10, 2017 10:41 AM
Mar 2010
elemenope said:
does anyone know how long is the anime production pause for? is there news on a new season? the manga has gotten pretty far ahead i guess

If they were to adapt the currently available chapters now, they would be able to do only 50-60 eps. i guess they want to do another 99.
Sep 10, 2017 1:49 PM

Aug 2015
Wow. This is it. This amazing anime is now over.

The last 10 days of my life have been great. These were all just fucking great 99 episodes. Space Brothers is so good. The story in particular is awesome.

I'm disappointed, after all this time, we never see Mutta actually go to space. This is the saddest part about Space Brothers. I cannot believe that it ended this way. But this is what I got anyway.

It was a good end. Hibito going to Russia and the promise to meet on the Moon is pretty good.

I loved this show, Mutta is an amazing MC. Mutta and Hibito are great brothers. Kenji and his family is the best family I've seen in an anime. I liked characters like Brian who have had a lot influence all over NASA but all in the backstage. Space Brothers has a vast cast and all with very very well written stories behind them. Sad to see it had to end this way, I hope a season 2 drops sometime in the future. As for now, I rate this show a 10/10 and read up on the manga.

Thank you, Space Brothers, you were awe-inspiring, you were highly entertaining and most of all you were a very well done anime. :)

P.s. Love ED 2 <3
The only opinion that should matter to you is yours.
Sep 24, 2017 1:19 PM

May 2012
Well as expected, but still pretty decent open ending for this wonderful slice of life anime! I really wished to see more of this series, seeing Mutta going to the moon, the completion of the radio telescope on the moon or even further development!

But in general the way they did ended it openly was pretty decent, and the whole ride to this point was also very lovely!

So all in all I had a great watch with this rather different than usual slice of life anime!

If they do ever make a sequel, I will love to see it!
Oct 15, 2017 8:38 AM

Jun 2015
It was good to rewatch this. Definitely one of my favorite animes ever.

Mar 5, 2018 4:43 AM

Aug 2008
Binged the whole thing in 4 days.
I wish I had known that it has an open ending... A real bummer, and it's been almost 4 years for crying out loud!
I think I have to read the manga now...

Hopefully a final season's coming in the not so distant future.
Mar 17, 2018 6:05 AM
Sep 2017
Is this a crappy ending, I think so, they could've included an epilogue so there's a bit more closer to the ending. The entire anime is centred around how the brothers want to go to the moon together, and even after 99 episodes it still doesn't happen. stupid.
Mar 22, 2018 8:37 AM

Feb 2013
It's better this way, he can be close to Olga now.
Mar 1, 2019 12:19 PM

Aug 2012
Ah man I'm so conflicted about that. I adored this series, a truly fantastic Anime drama about a subject I have quite abit of passion for. The show is great as well, it's a very good coming of age type story for Mutta and the journey of Hibito is quite the roller coaster ride.

But damn to finish there with Mutta within spitting distance of the Moon but not quite there. Also that 6 month time skip at a crucial time in the story of Mutta makes me question if they did that to try to make some sort of ending, despite it's very open nature. Be interesting to know if the Manga has that same time skip.

After such a journey and a considerable amount of episodes I can't help but feel slightly let down by the ending. I mean since the show is based on a Manga, once that had run for 5 years before the Anime begun I would estimate the series simply caught up? I hope this is the case anyway. It's been almost 5 years now to the day that the show stopped airing and there unfortunately, tragically doesn't seem to be a continuation in sight. There is clearly so much left to tell and the show is really highly acclaimed. I can only hope the show does make a return.

I was going to give this show a 10/10 but with that ending it's going to have to be docked down to a 9/10. If this is all we ever get then the ending really does hurt any potential rewatch, it's a whole lot of buildup to get through for no pay off.

Apr 24, 2019 1:50 PM
Aug 2012
On balance, I can say that I have too many different thoughts about this ending, yet I'm so satisfied with this way of events...I've haven't been bored from the start till the very end- a real story about adult people and their dreams just don't have to have a vivid happy ending!
Jul 11, 2019 6:24 PM

Oct 2015
That sure got us hanging! I mean in the end Mutta only became a back up crew for Vince's 1st crew to the moon, how really disappointing! I thought this would've been wrapped up nicely since it was 99 episodes, but clearly not. Sharon hasn't been cured apparently by Itou, and her telescope hasn't gotten the recognition to the moon. But I'm glad Hibito decided to leave NASA and hopefully for Russia, those guys particularly Gates will discard you the minute you have a tiny winsy setback- even if you recover from it. I'm also glad Nitta and Kenji finally got their chance in space, exploring an asteroid is actually a great thing and I would've liked to see them there. Also what about characters such as Furuya and Fukuda, I would've liked to see their progress towards their dreams to space!

Overall this was a great show but I felt it was cut short because of some major incidents in the production, no one would end a series like this. I think this/these incidents came later on before finishing this episode, otherwise they wouldn't have dragged the series with those long training episodes. They would've cut some of them and head towards the ending with no stress. But I liked the characters specifically Mutta and I would've liked to see him getting it on with Serika. His new crew mates were interesting and I would've liked to see how would they do in space with each other. I loved also the plot and development!

9/10 enjoyed it.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 24, 2019 2:32 AM

Jan 2015
What a joke 99 eps but Mutta still not to the moon
A Place Further Than The Universe more better

6/10

Sep 10, 2019 7:55 AM

Jul 2013
Really good series, but what a lame ending. I realize it's not really the end, given that where the manga is this episode isn't even the halfway point. Still, ~5 years later and still no continuing series. It will probably never happen. The anime industry is pretty harsh sometimes. I spent too many years hoping Suzumiya Haruhi would continue, for example. I realized from that not to keep false hope about such things. But hey, that's one way to get people to read manga and novels.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Apr 26, 2020 2:15 PM

Apr 2016
I truly loved this series and Mutta as a character. Unfortunately, I have to keep with the manga because an animated sequel won’t be make, probably.
May 12, 2020 2:52 AM
Oct 2017
This entire show felt like a waste of time. You end with bluer balls than Mutta. Should've watched something else.
Sep 6, 2020 11:21 AM

Sep 2008
No season 2 after so many years, I guess it's time to start reading manga.
Nov 10, 2020 4:58 PM

Dec 2007
i will admit that i didn't excepted them to set a conclusion ending for all the opening stories in the anime, i really didn't thought that they will get to that since the manga ongoing, but usually anime that doing this are making some sort of climax at the end with a great fix - uchuu kyodai haven't done that.

you would thought to see hibito and mutta together, hibito only sent him some e-mail, they did time skip - you would figure they would done so to set mutta in his own mission - but no, it's only as cacpom, the only satisfy ending given here is to nitta's brother, which were great for me.

though all that, the episode was still touching, and kept the level of the whole series, and for that it's get 9/10

as for the series, it had so many great moments, there's not anime without downhills, even the masterpiece of them, uchuu kyodai have some of those too, but it's truly one of those anime that made me giving me restriction so i will go to sleep, and i finished it in month less or so, it deserves pure round 10/10.
Dec 1, 2020 7:28 AM
Apr 2016
It's hard to put to words just how much I love 'Space Brothers', it's indubitably one of the most uplifting & easy-to-binge anime I've ever seen. Each and every character was also pleasant, insofar as to make you think "man, I'd like to take a drink with this guy." Unquestionably, this show is a definite cater to adults that are not looking for an incredibly 'sophisticated' show like a virgin looking for a girlfriend in highschool.

Mutta is arguably the most mature anime character I've seen, he's the type of person you'd want to stay your friend for as long as you live. I'm not going to read the manga, but I really hope — even though obviously it will happen and it will be a foregone conclusion — for him and Serika to get together! They're just perfect together!

While I enjoyed every second of this show, and feel incredibly hollow now that I'm done with it, there's nothing in it that really 'pushes' me to give it a 10 rather than a 9.. perhaps Hibito's moon incident, but in my opinion, had he died it would've been a million times more impactful in spite of the sadness we'd have to undergo.
Feb 13, 2021 11:02 PM
Aug 2008
I really, really liked Space Brothers at first. I learned quite a lot about the industry thanks to this and the slice of life side of this story is really nice. But I think it started becoming hard to watch after they introduced an underage girl as a possible love interest. Then, there's the very disturbing stereotyping of Mutta's Jamaican crew member. There were also other disturbing stereotyping but none were as bad as the aforementioned.

It wasn't perfect but it was still good enough to make me binge all 99 episodes in 6 days. 8/10 for me.
Aug 5, 2021 6:27 PM

Dec 2016
fykick said:
I really, really liked Space Brothers at first. I learned quite a lot about the industry thanks to this and the slice of life side of this story is really nice. But I think it started becoming hard to watch after they introduced an underage girl as a possible love interest. Then, there's the very disturbing stereotyping of Mutta's Jamaican crew member. There were also other disturbing stereotyping but none were as bad as the aforementioned.

It wasn't perfect but it was still good enough to make me binge all 99 episodes in 6 days. 8/10 for me.

Yeah, i felt really bad that they made it that way. Really stereotypical. The show was very good until some point in the middle, but 99 episodes had so much repeating plots and flashbacks that i think 50 episodes would have made it. It became really boring to watch. The last 20 eps i was watching at 3x speed. For me it was 7/10, overestimating still.
Squealer: My kind are neither slaves nor beasts.
Judge: If you’re not beasts, then what are you?
Squealer: WE ARE HUMANS!!!

Watashitachi wa ningen da!!!
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kurini - Feb 2, 2013

150 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 22, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 16 Discussion

thunderrain - Jul 14, 2012

41 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 21, 3:17 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

CuriousThing - May 5, 2012

59 by zugzwank »»
Jan 18, 2:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.