Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 22, 2014 2:44 AM

Feb 2012
In Chapter 1 on page 17-19 Mikasa is seen with short hair (present) saying "See you later" and then Eren wakes up and Mikasa is young with her long hair and he says her hair has gotten longer, and that he had a really long dream and starts crying. The title of the chapter is "To you, in 2000 years".

What are some theories for this? Is "you" just referring to the viewers or to Eren himself?

Why is Mikasa saying see you later with short hair and then time going to the start of the series?

Will there be time travel?

Ahh I don't know. Too many questions to ask.

Mar 22, 2014 3:07 AM
Mar 2013
I was quite confused seeing that as well but I don't exactly have a theory.

I think the "you" refers to Eren considering his name is said right after in a second speech bubble, "See you later." "Eren."

I don't think there would be time travel in the anime/manga, it wouldn't really suit it, the whole anime is set in a city quite far from modern civilization, it wouldn't make alot of sense to be able to have such a modern technology.

I think Mikasa saying "see you later" could've been just been Eren dreaming although it's kinda hard to dismiss something like that as a dream. Personally, I'm not to sure why Isayama did that, maybe Eren was having a vision, just dreaming or remembering a past memory as it's said Mikasa had short hair before when he said "your hair's gotten longer".
Mar 22, 2014 4:18 AM

Oct 2013
You cant refer to the viewers,its pretty clear,you just dont directly talk to the viewers like that unless its a comedy show/manga or a narration.

Its probably that other girl that Eren saw in his dream,we dont know if Eren had shifting powers even before the story begun,for all we know the injection could be the coordinate.

So my guess is he was a titan,he ate a shifter,he got a mind,his family was either hiding it from him or had their memories erased.
The beginning scene must be from before he became a mindless titan.
I know my story sounds stupid,but its plausible.

Again boys,WE DONT KNOW IF ITS INDEED MIKASA,HER FACE IS NOT FULLY SHOWN,yes she looks like her BUT, 1)Where is her scar? 2)What stops her from being the girl Eren and Historia saw in their dreams? 3)What if its an unintroduced character? Black hair is pretty common.

When i first got into SnK that scene drew me in so much,its one of the reasons i stuck around and kept reading,its not likely its time travel because it doesnt fit the theme and is out of place,it could happen,but doubt it,i also thought it was time travel because its the easy solution to my troubling.

The problem with my theory though,and why its still possible to involve time travel,its because in the anime,the voice of the girl sounds like Mikasa,and the following scenes are events of the future so,we have to wait.
Taimanin_IreliaMar 22, 2014 4:25 AM
Mar 24, 2014 12:00 PM

Mar 2014
^ you can't say it's "probably the girl he saw in another dream" when most things point that it's Mikasa (looks like her, scarf, sounds like her).

But damn, I totally forgot about this scene. I can't wait until they explain it.
Mar 27, 2014 10:52 AM

Sep 2013
edit: Actually I take that back. This is the page and assuming the top panel is the source of the voice, that was definitely the Mikasa in front of sleeping Eren telling him "see you later." And now that Ive jogged my memory, my very first reading led me to think it wasnt a premonition or a dream or anything complex like that, but instead Mikasa just trying to wake Eren by telling him she was leaving. And when that didnt work, she called his name twice more until he awoke. Simple is big so Ill stick to that from now on.

original post: Its definitely Mikasa. And a theory just popped into my head. We know the author was originally going to kill everyone and has since changed his mind after the story began. I wouldnt be surprised if "See you later." were originally Mikasa's final words to Eren in the end before she presumably sacrifices herself.
Old_RavenMar 27, 2014 11:10 AM
Apr 2, 2014 10:34 PM

Mar 2014
Old_Raven said:
edit: Actually I take that back. This is the page and assuming the top panel is the source of the voice, that was definitely the Mikasa in front of sleeping Eren telling him "see you later." And now that Ive jogged my memory, my very first reading led me to think it wasnt a premonition or a dream or anything complex like that, but instead Mikasa just trying to wake Eren by telling him she was leaving. And when that didnt work, she called his name twice more until he awoke. Simple is big so Ill stick to that from now on.

original post: Its definitely Mikasa. And a theory just popped into my head. We know the author was originally going to kill everyone and has since changed his mind after the story began. I wouldnt be surprised if "See you later." were originally Mikasa's final words to Eren in the end before she presumably sacrifices herself.

But the Mikasa before and after those panels definitely have different lengths of hair. So I'd say it was a dream but idk how impactful it will be to the story. I can't wait til things get cleared up. I was planning on taking a hiatus from reading the manga but idk if I can take that. :(
Apr 5, 2014 7:18 PM

Sep 2013
jreginald said:
Old_Raven said:

But the Mikasa before and after those panels definitely have different lengths of hair.

You think? They look the same length to me, just one panel is viewing at face-level and the other is looking down onto Mikasa and Eren. Her scarf also seems to be the same size in proportion to her face implying her face never grew and thus the 2 panels show Mikasa at the same age but I wouldnt be surprised if Im just reading too much into this.
Old_RavenApr 5, 2014 7:21 PM
Apr 6, 2014 8:55 PM

Mar 2014
Old_Raven said:
jreginald said:
Old_Raven said:

But the Mikasa before and after those panels definitely have different lengths of hair.

You think? They look the same length to me, just one panel is viewing at face-level and the other is looking down onto Mikasa and Eren. Her scarf also seems to be the same size in proportion to her face implying her face never grew and thus the 2 panels show Mikasa at the same age but I wouldnt be surprised if Im just reading too much into this.

I'll watch it. I mean, Eren even made a comment about how long her hair got. But it's not just you lol, it's us too.
Apr 7, 2014 6:28 AM

Jan 2013
My thoughts on it.

Apr 7, 2014 7:01 AM
Apr 2011
My two cents: Isayama planned to end his manga either by killing the characters or making everything that happened just a dream. So basically Mikasa's changing hairstyle is just one of a foreshadowing for his "just a dream ending" that he decided to scrap since his manga has become successful.
Apr 7, 2014 2:45 PM

Mar 2014
ravagestorm said:
My two cents: Isayama planned to end his manga either by killing the characters or making everything that happened just a dream. So basically Mikasa's changing hairstyle is just one of a foreshadowing for his "just a dream ending" that he decided to scrap since his manga has become successful.

I really hope there's more to it than that. Otherwise, it will be one of gaping hole of "wtf was the point of that?"

I'd even take the whole "it's the chick from those dreams" at this point.
Apr 20, 2014 5:15 PM

Aug 2013
I assumed it's Eren predicting his death. Since in the anime they replaced that with a series of terrible dreams and seeing the death of his mother. In those panels Eren was seen crying, so I honestly think he predicted his own death. Since Isayama said he changed the ending, it's going to mean something else completely.
Aug 20, 2016 4:15 PM
Aug 2016
I think Erens dream at the beginning is actually the ending and it's possibly a happy ending or at least working its way towards something and when Eren wakes up he wakes up at the begining and the tears could be of happiness rather then sadness but because of the nature of this series everyone thinks Erens sad but he could be happy. But doesn't realise it hense giving a mind bend to the audience as well. My guess is that the girl at the start is Mikasa, I keep thinking there's something strange about her not in a bad way but like she's a key to all this and she doesn't realise it, we all know she loves Eren but it's weird that she kept on telling him not to get killed as though she knew something, that could just be me but I think she knows more about the situation then she lets on, as in the begining when they are being saved by Hannes, Mikasa says something like it's happening again to herself, as though she gets visions to. Did anyone else notice this or this just me?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 13 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - May 15, 2011

21 by Steekira »»
Mar 27, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - Oct 6, 2015

132 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 17, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 72 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ana - Aug 6, 2015

119 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 16, 9:19 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 69 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

peskylemur25 - May 2, 2015

127 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 5, 8:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.