Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 20, 2014 4:56 PM
Mar 2014
I know its early, but how do you feel about Serena compared to past female leads?
Mar 26, 2014 11:47 AM

Jun 2013
Too early to tel,l but compare to the annoying iris shes pretty decent.
Apr 19, 2014 4:27 PM
Oct 2008
That is a matter of personal opinion. As for me, I like her as much as Dawn, who is my favorite among all of Ash's traveling companions. Serena is the main reason why I even watch the show when it's subbed
Apr 20, 2014 5:52 AM
Feb 2011
I think she's pretty nice until now.

Btw, how can she be childhood friends with Ash? Isn't he always 10 years old since the beginning of Pokemon?
Apr 25, 2014 10:03 PM

Sep 2012
I like them in this order.

May > Dawn > Serena > Iris = Misty
May 9, 2014 6:04 PM
May 2014
I've watched all of the episodes up to date and I think serena is the best.She has no flaws in her character.

#1.) Serena
#2.) May
#3.) Dawn
#4.) Misty
#5.) Iris
May 9, 2014 8:27 PM
Mar 2013
There are some interesting thoughts on this thread. I have to agree with those that say Serena. It might still be too soon but I don't see much wrong with her character. In fact I don't see much wrong with any of the XY characters this season, including Citron, Ash, Eureka, and Team Rocket...well ok maybe not Team Rocket ^^

1.) Misty
2.) Serena
3.) May/Dawn
4.) Iris

Misty is probably still the strongest female lead. First of all, she has a goal which Serena doesn't have yet. Second, she is an overall powerful trainer not even counting her gym leader status. And ever since becoming a gym leader she's really matured and become more responsible.

I really liked both Dawn and May, but Dawn was by far the better of the two. Her transformation from a junior coordinator to a top contestant was much more interesting and emotional than May's. Maybe it's because the animators figured out how to improve the coordinator segment of Pokemon and make it more interesting.

Even though I like May personally and ship her with Ash the most, she is probably second-last in terms of stacking up to the other girls. Next comes Iris. Speaking of Iris, she really got on nerves in Black/White. She is probably the most powerful trainer out of the five but her constant "what a kid" remarks and childish behavior really put her off for me.
May 13, 2014 5:19 PM
Mar 2014
emeraldrosary said:

Misty is probably still the strongest female lead. First of all, she has a goal which Serena doesn't have yet. Second, she is an overall powerful trainer not even counting her gym leader status.

Really? If you're talking trainer/battle-wise I don't think Misty is the strongest trainer. I could easily see both May and Dawn beating her in a regular battle, as well as Iris. In fact other than her Gyarados Misty doesn't really have any strong pokemon. Baring the use of Psyduck too.

Although I never understood where people got the impression that Misty was strong to begin with, she seemed rather inexperienced and lackluster in battling up until maybe late Johto.
May 14, 2014 10:33 AM
Mar 2013
Nope, I don't mean she is the strongest trainer, but she is the strongest female lead. I mentioned further down in my post that Iris is probably the strongest trainer out of the four of them.

But I disagree with your comment about Misty. So according to you she is the weakest.

Dawn could give Misty a run for her money but May? I doubt it. She excels at contests but she's just not as good as the other girls when it comes to real battling.

And ever since Misty became a gym leader I doubt she's inexperienced or lacklustre anymore. The main reason she seemed weak is because she can't use her water pokemon most of the time. Plus, she has some really good pokemon including Starmie and Politoed and possibly Kingdra/Azumarill in the future.
May 14, 2014 12:07 PM
Mar 2014
emeraldrosary said:
Nope, I don't mean she is the strongest trainer, but she is the strongest female lead. I mentioned further down in my post that Iris is probably the strongest trainer out of the four of them.

But I disagree with your comment about Misty. So according to you she is the weakest.

Dawn could give Misty a run for her money but May? I doubt it. She excels at contests but she's just not as good as the other girls when it comes to real battling.

And ever since Misty became a gym leader I doubt she's inexperienced or lacklustre anymore. The main reason she seemed weak is because she can't use her water pokemon most of the time. Plus, she has some really good pokemon including Starmie and Politoed and possibly Kingdra/Azumarill in the future.

I don't think any character is the weakest. What I meant was that all the girls, including May, could beat Misty in a battle. I'm not sure why you think Misty is so strong? When she was traveling with Ash she never gave the impression as a strong battler since almost all her battles don't consist of much more than Psyduck saving her or Staryu/Corsola using water gun. Also her Starmie didn't seem any stronger than Staryu did for that matter. From what I remember Misty loses the vast majority of battles she's in except when Psyduck saves her. While she probably improved since she went back to the Gym since we don't see it it's hard to say.

We've seen May take down tons of evolved pokemon from strong trainers in the anime and her style resembles a normal battler instead of a coordinator like Dawn's style. Even ignoring the more type diversity on May's team and just talking about battle strength. I'm surprised we're debating this since Misty also rarely battled in the show in the first place, and whenever she did she was shown to be average or run of the mill.
May 14, 2014 12:52 PM
Mar 2013
We are getting off topic ^_^ My original point was never solely about Misty as a battler, but as a lead in comparison to Serena. There were many other factors as to why I chose her. For example, her fear of bugs serves to make her more human and shed light on her character.

And then she has expectations that she has to fulfill for her sisters. Plus, she often puts others before herself. The reason she never uses Starmie and some of her best pokemon is because she leaves them at the Pokemon gym to help her sisters out.

I haven't heard your opinion on the OP yet. How do you think Serena stacks up to Misty, Dawn, May, and Iris? What criteria do you consider when you rate one female lead higher over the other?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 93 Discussion

ETX - Oct 27, 2015

27 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 4, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 87 Discussion

Aipom - Sep 26, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 20, 7:47 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 86 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Sep 9, 2015

19 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 17, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 78 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Jul 8, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 7, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 72 Discussion

210125 - May 14, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 6, 3:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.