Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 18, 2014 6:34 PM

Jan 2013
Have people still not accepted that this show is mediocre?

There's a limit to how far a famous director can carry a bad show.

Someone give me some reasons for why I should pick this back up.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 18, 2014 6:35 PM
May 2013
SolviteSekai said:

Boobies only reason you need
Mar 18, 2014 6:36 PM

Sep 2011
SolviteSekai said:

If you don't like it, don't watch it - why do you need other people to give you reasons to watch a show you weren't enjoying?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Mar 18, 2014 6:38 PM

Nov 2010
SolviteSekai said:
No
Mar 18, 2014 6:45 PM

Jan 2013
Lime_ said:
SolviteSekai said:

If you don't like it, don't watch it - why do you need other people to give you reasons to watch a show you weren't enjoying?

Because this is myanimelist and we should discuss anime here.

I didn't realize I somehow did it wrong by making a thread to discuss space dandy on the space dandy board.
Mar 18, 2014 6:52 PM

Sep 2011
SolviteSekai said:
Lime_ said:
SolviteSekai said:

I didn't realize I somehow did it wrong by making a thread to discuss space dandy on the space dandy board.

Well you probably should have worded the title and body of your thread a little differently if you wanted an actual discussion. . .

The way it is now looks like low powerlevel bait

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Mar 18, 2014 6:55 PM

Jan 2013
Lime_ said:
SolviteSekai said:
Lime_ said:
SolviteSekai said:

Well you probably should have worded the title and body of your thread a little differently if you wanted an actual discussion. . .

The way it is now looks like low powerlevel bait

And you bit the bait? I guess that somehow makes me stupid.

Anyways, now that my thread will get deleted because someone other than me derailed it, might as well just talk about whatever.

I think Akiyuki Shinbou is a genius, and my favorite artist is Kantoku.
Mar 18, 2014 7:06 PM

Sep 2009
SolviteSekai said:

I doubt you have any say in quality of anything as you just called a show mediocre then turned around and said it's bad.

All star team of directors, DJ Taku, and 80's/90's homage. Enough said.
Mar 18, 2014 7:10 PM

Jan 2013
LordLagann said:
SolviteSekai said:

I doubt you have any say in quality of anything as you just called a show mediocre then turned around and said it's bad.

All star team of directors, DJ Taku, and 80's/90's homage. Enough said.

You see, the "how far a director can carry a bad show" wasnt directly referring to Space Dandy, but just to bad shows in general.

That's how language works.
Mar 18, 2014 7:30 PM

Sep 2009
SolviteSekai said:

You see, the "how far a director can carry a bad show" wasnt directly referring to Space Dandy, but just to bad shows in general.

That's how language works.

No, language works by stating a topic then everything following relates to said topic. Trying to weasel out of mistakes is what you're doing; playing with formalities.
Mar 18, 2014 7:36 PM

May 2013
The anime is average at best, but its worth watching for that blonde girl and her 10/10 boobies.
Mar 18, 2014 7:38 PM

Sep 2011
Yeah because its lived up its hype, its provided a wildly enertaining and at times funny series jam packed full of creativity and brilliant ideas/imagry with each ep(except ep 6) with a great variety between episodes whether it be traveling to a trippy plant planet that builds an entire system of government and races throughout the entire planet all for just a single episode to a extremely fun and well animated fast paced racing episode taking the viewer through beautifully drawn and thought out city landscapes and asteroird fields, to even juggling comedy and drama that shows its face at even the most unexpected of episodes such as the ramen shops backstory or adele's extremely touching episode 5

If this show were mediocrity then the anime industry would be a better place, its dripping with personality and creativity both in its individual stories as well as its imagry that is both experimental yet also hearken to some early 00's art styles.

of course your mind is already made up on what this is and seem to have a ton of biases due to some external forces of "hype" which is the worst excuse to add bias to any show or product. So have fun trying to passively aggressively down the show and the people who like it because you were a part of the minority and refuse to accept that and move on

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 18, 2014 7:40 PM

May 2013
JizzyHitler said:
Yeah because its lived up its hype, its provided a wildly enertaining and at time funny series jam packed full of creativity and brilliant ideas/imagry with each ep(except ep 6) with a great variety between episodes whether it be traveling to a trippy plant planet that builds an entire system of government and races throughout the entire planet all for just a single episode to a extremely fun and well animated fast paced racing episode taking the viewer through beautifully drawn and thought out city landscapes and asteroird fields, to even juggling comedy and drama that shows its face at even the most unexpected of episodes such as the ramen shops backstory or adele's extremely touching episode 5

If this show were mediocrity then the anime industry would be a better place

Isn't it bombing in Japan though o_O. Wouldn't say it lived up to its hype if thats true.
Mar 18, 2014 7:42 PM

Sep 2011
Nonon_Jakuzure said:
JizzyHitler said:
Yeah because its lived up its hype, its provided a wildly enertaining and at time funny series jam packed full of creativity and brilliant ideas/imagry with each ep(except ep 6) with a great variety between episodes whether it be traveling to a trippy plant planet that builds an entire system of government and races throughout the entire planet all for just a single episode to a extremely fun and well animated fast paced racing episode taking the viewer through beautifully drawn and thought out city landscapes and asteroird fields, to even juggling comedy and drama that shows its face at even the most unexpected of episodes such as the ramen shops backstory or adele's extremely touching episode 5

If this show were mediocrity then the anime industry would be a better place

Isn't it bombing in Japan though o_O. Wouldn't say it lived up to its hype if thats true.
since when do sales have anything to do with living up to quality? and its not bombing in japan its doing just kind of average, its rating in the US are quite spectacular ranking #1 every week in its night of broadcast which is what they were focusing on over the japanese broadcast as wattanabes works always do better outside of japan most notably samurai champloo which bombed in japan

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 18, 2014 7:49 PM

May 2013
I don't think the show has that much quality to it though. I'm not like the OP though because tbh I am enjoying this anime a bit, but I def don't see why people think the quality is so good. Nowhere near bad of course, but a 7/10 sounds fair.
Mar 18, 2014 7:50 PM

Jun 2012
I only watched the first four episodes, but from what I've seen, it's most definitely delivered.

By far my favorite show of this season taking mecha out of consideration.

JizzyHitler said:
its rating in the US are quite spectacular ranking #1 every week in its night of broadcast
To be fair, the first show in the toonami lineup always garners the highest viewership.
OchimushaMar 18, 2014 7:54 PM
Mar 18, 2014 7:51 PM

Sep 2011
Nonon_Jakuzure said:
I don't think the show has that much quality to it though. I'm not like the OP though because tbh I am enjoying this anime a bit, but I def don't see why people think the quality is so good. Nowhere near bad of course, but a 7/10 sounds fair.
yah thats fine cause your not being a dick about it like op does, but bombing in japan has nothing to do with quality, by that logic we would have to say baccano is atrocious.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Mar 18, 2014 8:25 PM

Apr 2010
SolviteSekai said:
Lime_ said:
SolviteSekai said:

Because this thread is fucking stupid, that's why. If you don't like it, you don't like it. That's all there is to it, and no one will try to convince you to pick it back up.
Mar 18, 2014 9:24 PM

May 2013
I'm gonna have to go on op's side here. The show is dreadfully mediocre. Any attempts it makes at being intelligent just fall flat and the cast isn't entertaining enough to carry the show.
I watch dubs
Mar 19, 2014 9:35 AM

Apr 2010
It made attempts at being intelligent? Wat
Mar 19, 2014 5:35 PM

Sep 2011
Solkiskey said:
dont try to figure that one out, people throw that criticism around willy nilly like the pretentious comment yet never actually back it up, its just a go to false criticism people fall back on when they ironically want to sound more clever in criticism, while it does apply to some shows out there they rarely are ever used in the right context

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Mar 19, 2014 5:40 PM
Nov 2008
SolviteSekai said:

cognitive dissonance at its finest. if it's so mediocre and bad, why would you want to even consider picking it back up? lol
Mar 19, 2014 9:10 PM

Jun 2013
Lol poor OP, all he wanted to do was start a discussion.

But I did want to see how everyone felt about the anime in general. I like Space Dandy for its creativity, randomness, and philosophy (?). However, I'm wondering if the "all star" cast and directors have a specific direction they want to take this show to... Every episode I'm left confused and wanting something more. The fact that the show is episodic doesn't help at all either.

I guess it's just my preference to prefer anime with some sort of focus, but what did you guys think? Do these adventures seem to have even a vague sense of connection to one another that I'm not seeing? Or is it really just a hodgepodge of various adventures that Dandy and his crew goes on? I'd like to see if anyone has like a mindblowing prediction explaining the randomness of this show.

P.S. I do have to agree with some of the users in this discussion that the characters are not necessarily that appealing, or even that well developed. Dandy's always Dandy, Meow always Meow, and QT always QT. Iunno, I'd say the show needs more boobs...
Mar 19, 2014 9:54 PM

Jul 2012
I like the show, but its nothing amazing at all. Its a 7/10 maybe 6/10 show in my eyes. I feel like the series is very inconsistent week-to-week on whether or not it is any good. The art is always amazing and the soundtrack stays at a steady average, but the dialogue and stories never find any consistent ground. They can come off as touching (Adele episode) or they can be really cheesy and cringe worthy (Meow's home planet episode).

The humor is hit or miss too. Episode 6 being the biggest miss so far. I guess this show isn't really a show you're going to be laughing out loud at, but it can bring some memorable lines (e.g. zombie episode "SAY UUUUH ONE MORE TIME").

All in all, not a bad show but one that I'm sure will be forgotten soon after its airing.
Mar 19, 2014 11:25 PM
Nov 2008
Joshua1207 said:
I feel like the series is very inconsistent week-to-week on whether or not it is any good.
They can come off as touching (Adele episode) or they can be really cheesy and cringe worthy (Meow's home planet episode).
pakoko said:
P.S. I do have to agree with some of the users in this discussion that the characters are not necessarily that appealing, or even that well developed. Dandy's always Dandy, Meow always Meow, and QT always QT. Iunno, I'd say the show needs more boobs...
lollerskates. it's like you guys have never watched television shows that aren't anime or dramas.
no-thanksMar 19, 2014 11:28 PM
Mar 20, 2014 3:53 AM
Aug 2011
I think if Space Dandy would have been presented by another studio and director there is a chance after the first three episodes I would be agreeing this show was mediocre at best.

However after sticking around I find the episodic style of this show and the characters can be quite entertaining. The animation is above average and the voice actors dub/sub are all doing a fine job.

There have been plenty of episodes that felt experimental yet fun. Some even getting close to the feelings you would get watching Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo.

The answer to your question. Yes, and I am happy I stuck around for the ride. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either. It's fun, it's sometimes serious and sad, and over everything it has boobies. You just can't lose with those guiding the way, choo choo Baby.
Mar 20, 2014 10:34 AM

Jul 2012
Heredity said:
Joshua1207 said:
I feel like the series is very inconsistent week-to-week on whether or not it is any good.
They can come off as touching (Adele episode) or they can be really cheesy and cringe worthy (Meow's home planet episode).
pakoko said:
lollerskates. it's like you guys have never watched television shows that aren't anime or dramas.

Uhh, just because a show is episodic doesn't excuse the fact that it is inconsistent in quality. I watch a lot of episodic comedies and they're far more consistent than this show.
Mar 21, 2014 1:06 AM

Feb 2014
Yeah, I'm still on this "hype train" and don't give a damn what other people think. I love how many episodes end with a non-sequitur WTF did I just watch. The show does have it's problems, namely inconsistent quality/tone/humor(mainly this) from episode to episode. But that is to be expected from a show that dares to try new things; some ideas will be great ( episodes 4,5,7,9,10), some pretty good (2,3,6*,11) , others were all over the place in terms of tone and/or plot (1,8). I do believe this show would have faded into obscurity if someone other than Watanabe and some other studio made the show.
*[I liked it because I felt the theme was how stupid war really is, and then they make it as absurd as possible by making garments the reason for the war (well maybe because they forgot); plus I enjoyed the cold war's MAD (Mutually assured destruction) policy at the end so both sides lost and then the smoothly animated space surfing scene was the icing. Maybe I'm one of the few that enjoyed this one, but whatever.
I will watch this show till the bitter end, even if it becomes dumb fun like Future Diary(Space Dandy is much better than this world of a lunatic god and his parade of knife wielding psychos, however I enjoyed every minute of it despite its faults) or FLCL/TTGL (the only mecha shows I really loved, others took themselves too seriously, Eva was alright though-everyone had some sort of insecurity complex but fell apart at the end imo). Anyways this is about Space Dandy, sorry for derailing. I do hope the the 2nd cour is more consistent overall in terms of humor and plotting but with WTF moments as well. When I first saw Champloo, I did not think it would have any sort of ending, but I was surprised and enjoyed it (I think Mugen had more funny scenes than Dandy, but when Dandy hits, it's very good.) I believe this show may follow something like that with Scarlet getting involved (this is more of a fantasy, i mean wishful thinking) in the main plot. Don't know how the "many worlds" theory that everyone has been talking about will turn out; I'm kinda against the idea unless they do it very clever. In whatever case, I will continue to watch even if it is not the next CB or GitS.
Mar 21, 2014 1:39 AM

Dec 2012
I don't know. I think it's really enjoyable, but the episodic narrative and the complete lack of continuity, made me lose interest and not keep up with the series, just like Samurai Champloo but to a larger extent in Dandy, since Champloo has continuity within it's episodic narrative. I just watch an episode every once in a while at random.

I love the Japanese voice acting, Suwabe Junichi is awesome and the references to western culture are amusing.
Mar 21, 2014 2:05 AM
Nov 2008
Joshua1207 said:
Heredity said:
Joshua1207 said:
pakoko said:

Uhh, just because a show is episodic doesn't excuse the fact that it is inconsistent in quality. I watch a lot of episodic comedies and they're far more consistent than this show.
it's not just a comedy though, lol. have you considered some of the episodes aren't actually supposed to be funny?
Mar 21, 2014 2:07 AM

Jan 2013
Dr_Smurph said:
I think if Space Dandy would have been presented by another studio and director there is a chance after the first three episodes I would be agreeing this show was mediocre at best.

However after sticking around I find the episodic style of this show and the characters can be quite entertaining. The animation is above average and the voice actors dub/sub are all doing a fine job.

There have been plenty of episodes that felt experimental yet fun. Some even getting close to the feelings you would get watching Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo.

The answer to your question. Yes, and I am happy I stuck around for the ride. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either. It's fun, it's sometimes serious and sad, and over everything it has boobies. You just can't lose with those guiding the way, choo choo Baby.

So basically you are going to say it's good even though it isn't simply because the director happened to make other shows that were actually good?

There's a word for that.
Mar 21, 2014 6:10 AM

Nov 2013
You're trying too hard, OP.

I can understand why someone would dislike this show, but really? Just ride the Dandy train, baby!! Choo choo!!
Mar 21, 2014 1:52 PM

Aug 2013
Really creative and amazing anime in my eyes. I generally like episodic anime anyways. Some episodes remind me of mushishi where you have to find your own meaning to an episode.

Just wanted to say that OP sounds autistic as hell
Mar 21, 2014 2:33 PM

Sep 2008
I am still hype train myself I like this anime a lot.
Mar 21, 2014 2:37 PM

Mar 2013
It's got a bit old, but still a fun ride.
Mar 21, 2014 5:40 PM

Aug 2012
This show is awesome O_o
Why force yourself to watch something you don't like?
Mar 21, 2014 9:26 PM
Aug 2011
SolviteSekai said:
Dr_Smurph said:

So basically you are going to say it's good even though it isn't simply because the director happened to make other shows that were actually good?

There's a word for that.

That's not what I said at all. The show is good for what it is, it's not perfect. However at times, certain episodes show to have the same qualities that made me enjoy his past works.

However I don't watch shows with hype or expectations that it will be similar just because the director is the same. That's just setting yourself up for a bad time.
Mar 21, 2014 9:35 PM

Oct 2013
Ha very few on still aboard the train. This show fell of the map after that episode with the freaky boobs.

I tell you when Kuroko, magi, and kill la kill ends soon there is not much to watch at all besides Hunter X hunter.
Mar 21, 2014 9:38 PM

Nov 2012
The comedy, the characters, the simple themes, and the music(just look at the 2 minute video on my profile

Solkiskey said:
Some people like to browse MAL drunk.
RX-782Mar 21, 2014 9:42 PM
Mar 21, 2014 11:23 PM

Jul 2012
Heredity said:
Joshua1207 said:
Heredity said:
Joshua1207 said:
pakoko said:

it's not just a comedy though, lol. have you considered some of the episodes aren't actually supposed to be funny?

That's great and all. I mentioned I liked the episode were it wasn't supposed to be funny (the Adele episode, probably my favorite episode). I am saying the quality of the show is inconsistent. I don't care if it's trying to be a comedy one week and a drama the next or whatever. I am saying that they don't do it well and some episodes just fall flat. Examples of were it fell flat when going for drama are episodes 2 (well, I think the story near the end was trying to be sad) and 10. Episode 6 is a prime example of where the comedy was just terrible. Once again, it is obvious that its not trying to be a comedy every week, that isn't the problem the show is having when it comes to quality inconsistencies.
Mar 21, 2014 11:30 PM

May 2012
At least this is better than most things that are airing right now.
Quality isn't consistent but it is still fairly entertaining on certain weeks.
Mar 22, 2014 1:21 AM

Jan 2013
sentience said:

This show is better than Nisekoi, Noragami, Hamatora, Kill la Kill, Nagi to Asukara and Golden Time?
Mar 22, 2014 1:25 AM

Nov 2012
SolviteSekai said:
sentience said:

This show is better than Nisekoi, Noragami, Hamatora, Kill la Kill, Nagi to Asukara and Golden Time?
In my opinion, yes.
Mar 22, 2014 1:25 AM

Jan 2013
why?

The only 2 reasons I can think of for this show to still be so popular on Mal despite abysmal preorder sales and a general lack of quality are:

1. It is dubbed, so MAL Dub watchers can comment on it.

2. It is somewhat connected to Cowboy Bebop, leading fanboy groups to defend the director despite his failure.
SolviteWoTaberuMar 22, 2014 1:29 AM
Mar 22, 2014 3:44 AM

Feb 2011
I'm still on the hype train, yes. I love this show, it's just fun.
Mar 22, 2014 3:54 AM
Nov 2008
Joshua1207 said:
Heredity said:
Joshua1207 said:
Heredity said:
Joshua1207 said:
pakoko said:

That's great and all. I mentioned I liked the episode were it wasn't supposed to be funny (the Adele episode, probably my favorite episode). I am saying the quality of the show is inconsistent. I don't care if it's trying to be a comedy one week and a drama the next or whatever. I am saying that they don't do it well and some episodes just fall flat. Examples of were it fell flat when going for drama are episodes 2 (well, I think the story near the end was trying to be sad) and 10. Episode 6 is a prime example of where the comedy was just terrible. Once again, it is obvious that its not trying to be a comedy every week, that isn't the problem the show is having when it comes to quality inconsistencies.
then why'd you single out it being an episodic comedy? obviously i thought you believed every episode was trying to be funny.
Mar 22, 2014 4:24 AM

May 2012
Nope said:
SolviteSekai said:
sentience said:

In my opinion, yes.

A plotless mediocre comedy anime like space dandy can't come close to something like kill la kill

Kill a Kill has good story, good characters, good villains, a lot of action and a lot of plot twists, and top of that it is a good mix of comedy and seriousness. Space dandy doesn't have any of these things. The difference between the two is like heaven and hell.
Mar 22, 2014 4:43 AM
Aug 2011
SolviteSekai said:
sentience said:

Come on half the shows you listed have hype trains themselves perpetuating them past just being average.

Can't believe Hamatora was a go to even.

SolviteSekai said:
why?

The only 2 reasons I can think of for this show to still be so popular on Mal despite abysmal preorder sales and a general lack of quality are:

1. It is dubbed, so MAL Dub watchers can comment on it.

2. It is somewhat connected to Cowboy Bebop, leading fanboy groups to defend the director despite his failure.

From what I can tell Space Dandy has an average rating. Also if you have only seen a few episodes you can't speak much on the quality.

Honestly I think in the end you just need to realize people have different tastes than you and move on.
Mar 22, 2014 7:33 AM

Jun 2010
Space Dandy is a fucking brilliant show, which I say with no hesitation. It's the only anime I truly look forward to each week. I have no qualms being pretentious and saying that not appreciating it is simply lacking in certain intellectual and imaginative areas on the users part. The anime embodies a brilliant explosion of imagination that one can only surmise not appreciating is lack of said imagination.

Also I believe the rating is from such haters as present in this thread. It's extremely easily provable too. Simply look at the 5/5 ratings in every episode, they overwhelmingly crush other ratings.
Mar 22, 2014 8:36 AM

Nov 2012
LuciferIAm said:
Space Dandy is a fucking brilliant show, which I say with no hesitation. It's the only anime I truly look forward to each week. I have no qualms being pretentious and saying that not appreciating it is simply lacking in certain intellectual and imaginative areas on the users part. The anime embodies a brilliant explosion of imagination that one can only surmise not appreciating is lack of said imagination.

Also I believe the rating is from such haters as present in this thread. It's extremely easily provable too. Simply look at the 5/5 ratings in every episode, they overwhelmingly crush other ratings.

Your avatar and imagination statement complement each other perfectly.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2014

189 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 27, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2014

95 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 26, 11:10 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2014

94 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 26, 10:39 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

omega_d94 - Mar 8, 2014

138 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 26, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2014

161 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 26, 9:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.