Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 16, 2014 11:17 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Check out this thread for an introduction to what FAL is and its history.

Rules

The rules for the Fall 2013 season are now void and shall be replaced by the following rules:
  1. Each player will make a team by choosing 5 active anime and 2 bench anime from the Spring 2014 season, listed in the next post. Please note that movies/OVAs/ONAs/specials are not in the list.
  2. Sequels can be used freely in your team; however, the anime Date A Live II and Fairy Tail (2014) are special exceptions and will not be eligible to be selected as part of your team.
  3. The Spring season will start on March 30, 2014.
  4. Points will only accumulate within the 14 weeks this FAL season is in session. Later episodes and weeks will not count toward a team's score. In addition, episode discussion forum posts that were posted before the FAL season starts will not count.
  5. Only the active anime on a team will score points; the bench anime will not score any points.
  6. A player may swap up to 3 anime during the entire FAL season and can only swap every 3 weeks.
    Click here to learn more about bench swaps.
  7. Players will not be required to be active for the duration of FAL season. Nor will they be required to actually watch the anime on their team. They will simply need to set a bracket at the beginning, let their anime rack up points, and swap benches and/or use the wildcard/aces when they feel it is beneficial to their score.
  8. In the event that 2 or more teams wind up with the same score at the end of the FAL season, their bench anime will be used as a tiebreaker. The team with the bench anime that score the most points during the entire FAL season will win.
  9. In the event that an anime has not begun airing by week 5, the anime will be disqualified and points will no longer be tallied for it. It will not be replaced with another anime.
The top 3 will be awarded with a banner for extra bragging rights!

If a player decides/needs to change his or her username while FAL is running, the FAL Staff must be notified immediately by PMing Luna_. Swaps, aces, and wildcard requests will be rendered invalid if the player's username has been changed without notifying the staff!

Points Criteria

Automatically counted points:
The following points are counted without any input from the player over the course of the FAL season:
  • Weekly points:
    • +1 point for each user who legitimately has the anime under "Currently Watching" or "Completed" that week on MAL.
    • Double the anime's "Currently Watching" and "Completed" points for the week if 4% or fewer of the teams have it included in their active anime.
    • +25 points for each forum post in the anime's episode discussion threads in the previous 2 weeks (counted every 2 weeks).

• Additional points:
    • +3000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 3.
    • +6000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 7.
    • +9000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 10.
    • +12000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • −4 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 4.
    • −6 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 8.
    • −8 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 11.
    • −10 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • +25 points for each user who has favorited the anime upon week 5.
    • +50 points for each user who has favorited the anime upon week 8.
    • +75 points for each user who has favorited the anime upon week 11.
    • +100 points for each user who has favorited the anime at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • +4000 points for the team that gets the highest unique score that week. A team may receive this bonus only 1 time per FAL season.
    • +2000 points for each English-speaking region that simulcasts the anime in English in each of the following regions: USA, Canada, UK/Ireland, and Australia/New Zealand. The regions must be confirmed on MAL News' official Spring 2014 Simulcast List post. The number of companies that simulcast an anime is irrelevant; only which region(s) it gets simulcast in matter. Simulcast points are counted in week 5.
    • +10000 points if licensed in USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand upon week 13. This is restricted to 1 license per anime. Licenses shall be defined by MAL News' official Q2 2014 Anime Licenses post and their sources. A home video release must be announced or heavily implied. Companies that solely get simulcasting licenses will be excluded.
Strategically counted points:
The following points are determined based on the player's discretion.
  • Wildcard
    All players are given the opportunity to choose 1 of the following options as a wildcard starting on week 9 of the FAL season:
    1. The booster. Add a one-time 3000 point bonus to the team's score for the week.
    2. An extra swap. At a cost of 1500 points, immediately swap a bench anime with an active anime. To use this wildcard, the player must 1) send a PM saying he or she wants to use the wildcard swap and 2) post in the Bench Swaps thread as if the player were making a normal swap.
    3. The nuke (up version). At a cost of 1500 points, subtract X points from the team above or at the same rank as the team of the player using the nuke.
    4. The nuke (down version). At a cost of 1500 points, subtract X points from the team below or at the same rank as the team of the player using the nuke.
    The team rankings of the previous week will be used for a nuke. X = 6000 in weeks 9–12, 5000 in week 13, and 4000 in week 14. If a player uses the nuke and the rank above/below is shared by more than 1 team, the nuke receiver will be determined randomly.
  • Ace
    In any week of the FAL season, 1 of the active anime on a team may be declared as the "Ace." The Ace will take effect the next time the scores are counted. The player's team will receive:
    • +3000 points if the "Ace" becomes the anime with the most points in the team for that week.
    • −3000 points if the "Ace" does not become the anime with the most points in the team for that week.
    Furthermore,
    • Each anime in a team may be declared as the "Ace" only 1 time per FAL season.
    • Aces are available as soon as the FAL season begins.
A player may use Wildcards and Aces by PMing FALbot.

Registration

After you have read the rules, made your team, and are ready to register, you can register by PMing FALbot in the format below. You must submit your registration in this format. Copy and paste the anime titles from the list of eligible anime in the next post. Username must be the exact username as on MAL, do not make up another username.
Team: Username
AnimeTitle1
AnimeTitle2
AnimeTitle3
AnimeTitle4
AnimeTitle5
AnimeTitle6
AnimeTitle7
AnimeTitle#: These are the titles of eligible anime in the next post.
AnimeTitle6 and AnimeTitle7 are your bench anime.

For example:

Registration will need to be done before March 30th, 18:00 UTC for your team to qualify. If there is a problem with this deadline, please feel free to contact the FAL Staff to discuss it.

If you change your mind after registering, you may change your team only 1 time until registration ends. Please send the new team in the same format to FALbot and use the message subject Re-registration.
LunaSep 14, 2014 1:30 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 16, 2014 11:17 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
The following anime are eligible this season:

Abarenbou Kishi!! Matsutarou
Akuma no Riddle
Baby Steps
Black Bullet
Blade and Soul
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Break Blade
Captain Earth
Cardfight!! Vanguard: Legion Mate-hen
Dragon Ball Kai (2014)
Dragon Collection
Escha & Logy no Atelier: Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi
Fuuun Ishin Dai☆Shogun
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?
Gokukoku no Brynhildr
Haikyuu!!
Hitsugi no Chaika
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
Isshuukan Friends.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Kamigami no Asobi
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
Kenzen Robo Daimidaler
Keroro
Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns
Kiniro no Corda: Blue♪Sky
Kutsushita ga Daru Daru ni Nacchau Wake: Imadoki Youkai Zukan
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane
Mahou Shoujo Taisen
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Majin Bone
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to
Mekakucity Actors
Mushishi Zoku Shou
No Game No Life
Oreca Battle
Ping Pong The Animation
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin
Seikoku no Dragonar
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Sidonia no Kishi
Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii
Soul Eater Not!
Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V

The following anime are ineligible and may not be chosen:

Again, make sure you check the post above to read how to correctly register for the FAL Spring 2014 season. It is important to copy and paste the titles so that they match with the titles listed in our database.

If we are missing any anime or any of the above information is incorrect as it pertains to the Spring 2014 season, please let us know ASAP!
Mar 16, 2014 1:27 PM

Nov 2011
Interesting. Most of those on those on the ineligible list wouldn't of made it to a spot on my team or bench anyways. Fairy Tail was quite predictable for one of the blacklists. I had a gutsy feeling of picking DAL II anyways even if it was eligible.
Mar 16, 2014 2:05 PM

Apr 2010
Entry has been send will be looking forward to the result my only question mark is Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei which seems really hyped.
But i am sure you guys know what your doing so it should be fine a guess.
Like last time i made a list of the anime i like with the exception of one benched anime which seems it might be popular just in case this time i hope to finish better then last time.
But time will tell i guess
Mar 16, 2014 3:08 PM

Jul 2008
Good call on banning Fairy Tail, though I'm not convinced Date A Live II has ban-worthy credentials. Its statistical profile is most similar to Kuroko's Basket 2 from the Fall season, but the first DAL series had much lower score, user favorites, and more drops than S1 of Kuroko. Presuming DAL II:DAL::Kuroko 2:Kuroko holds across all metrics, and considering FAL will increase counting secondary metadata to 4 times throughout this season up from 3 times last Fall, I expect DAL II to perform moderately beneath the Kuroko 2 bar. It certainly won't vault teams up numerous spots in the final week like Kuroko did.

You may argue, "Well Kuroko 2 was in the top 5 mix for most weeks during the Fall. Even if DALII doesn't quite match an exceptional performance, almost-as-good is still good." That might be true if it season matched the same conditions of FAL Fall 2013. However, remember Fall 2013 was a weakened FAL group since KLK and KnK, by far the top 2 new shows, were banned. Kuroko was only capable of being a semi-regular top 5 play because the overall strength of the field was weakened in addition to benefiting from regular boosts from its outstanding secondary stats. In a nearly full strength field with a legion of promising LN-based competitors this coming season, I predict relying on a regular not-as-good-as-Kuroko-2 level of play would not be good enough to keep teams within the top ranks. Thus, I don't believe DALII is ban worthy.

But what's done is done. There's no point making changes based on predictions once you've already settled on the rules. I really am looking forward to another competitive FAL season. Let the games begin!
kadian1366Mar 16, 2014 3:11 PM
Ideal anime wife?
Mar 16, 2014 4:04 PM
Mar 2013
wouldn't Dragon Collection and Oreca Battle fit the (geared toward children <10) exception?

also confirming short-formats are eligible?

edit: also have fun everyone! this season is looking great for choices.
Mar 16, 2014 4:18 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
joinedforFal said:
wouldn't Dragon Collection and Oreca Battle fit the (geared toward children <10) exception?

also confirming short-formats are eligible?

Neither Dragon Collection nor Oreca Battle have the Kids genre tag.

Short-length episode series are not being excluded this season on the basis of episode length. If it's on the list of eligible titles, it's eligible!
Mar 16, 2014 4:25 PM
Mar 2013
thanks Numi. now i can start on my new spreadsheet for this season instead of using the old season clunker of a system.
Mar 16, 2014 8:24 PM

Feb 2009
Is it possible to link the titles in the 2nd post to their pages so people(me) can check them out quickly? Makes it easier to look at those entries and help in deciding. Plus it's kind of a bother to copy paste the names to search for them.

And seems the scoring system was changed and fansubs were removed. They don't add much in the scores anyways and relying more on the stats of the shows are better in this competition.

I'll probably submit my entry next week. Even with a lot of shows I'm still not sure what will hit and what will not. I already have some picks but it's better to be safe. I need to do better than the last FAL season.
Obviously Fairy Tail will get banned but I wasn't expecting DAL II to be banned as well. Oh well, I wasn't gonna pick it anyways and this'll probably be like OreImo which was banned but won't perform that well even if it was popular.
Mar 16, 2014 8:46 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
belatkuro said:
Is it possible to link the titles in the 2nd post to their pages so people(me) can check them out quickly? Makes it easier to look at those entries and help in deciding. Plus it's kind of a bother to copy paste the names to search for them.

Links for all eligible titles can be found in the Anime Relations section of the club's main page, here.
Mar 17, 2014 6:59 AM

Mar 2012
I though Mahouka that will be blacklisted.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 17, 2014 7:20 AM

Oct 2011
Wouldn't Dragon Ball Kai 2014 also be considered blacklisted. Due to how popular Dragon ball series is?
Mar 17, 2014 7:24 AM

Mar 2012
AnimeFan500 said:
Wouldn't Dragon Ball Kai 2014 also be considered blacklisted. Due to how popular Dragon ball series is?
Well Kai isn't as popular as Z and this is only cover one arc(?) so I think it won't be really popular.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 18, 2014 9:09 AM

Feb 2010
NeoAnkara said:
I though Mahouka that will be blacklisted.

Yeah, I expected it to be blacklisted too.

Decisions are easier this time than in Spring (doesn't mean they will turn out correctly though). There isn't much ambiguity with the sequels and the only series I have a hard time predicting is Akuma no Riddle. PTW Numbers are huge, but yuri is kinda niche and the tag only popped up lately so I'm not sure about it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 18, 2014 10:28 PM

Sep 2011
Expected a lot more shows to be blacklisted i.e Mahouka, and a few others.

Also, glad you took out Fansub list. Was so hard to calculate those at times.
Mar 19, 2014 12:35 PM

Aug 2010
Shit! Akuma no Riddle is giving me trouble. To be or not to be that is the question.

I think I'll gamble and put it. The rest was mostly easy except not finding a place for Mekakucity Actors.

If only it aired during the first week of the season but I had to sacrifice it since it airs in the 2nd week since I already have a solid bench :(
Mar 19, 2014 1:21 PM

Nov 2011
Barion-Zara said:
Shit! Akuma no Riddle is giving me trouble. To be or not to be that is the question.

I think I'm on the same boat as you for this. I might gamble for this.
Mar 21, 2014 11:53 AM

Dec 2010
Uwah, I forgot about FAL °-° Last year by march I was already sure about what to choose, but now I don't even now what anime will air D : I'll take my time to "study" and probably submit my registration near the deadline. D'oh!
Mar 24, 2014 10:47 AM

Nov 2011
I'm hot my body is ready! *_*

Another plate to be shown on my page! LOL
Mar 25, 2014 2:09 PM

May 2012
This looks interesting! However, I have one questions: Where can you look up what your current score is when this games starts?
Mar 25, 2014 3:30 PM

Feb 2010
Darcsen said:
This looks interesting! However, I have one questions: Where can you look up what your current score is when this games starts?

There will be a forum thread each week when points are updated on Sunday.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 25, 2014 3:34 PM
Mar 2013
a little bit after the 1st week deadline on the 6th will be the first measuring/recording of appropriate metrics. and a post is made on the main club page for Fal, the schedule button under the show spoiler button lists what is counted for each sunday, forum counted on the even weeks, 2,4,6,8,10,12,14.

it's entirely up to yourself if you want to do your own number crunching on your own time, ( usually good to do to know if you want to bench one show for another) a spreadsheet is your best friend in that case.
Mar 25, 2014 8:38 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Darcsen said:

There will be a forum thread each week when points are updated on Sunday.

This. As soon as the thread for that week's stats is public, one of the mods will link to it in the FAL club's comments section. There will also be a results thread that will have links to each week's results. You'll know it when you see it. ;)
Mar 26, 2014 8:11 PM

Jun 2012
Sorry for asking a stupid question, but by bench anime, do you mean anime that is continuing in that season or will last for more than 13 episodes-something like Naruto Shippuuden or Yu Gi Oh Arc V?
This is my first time playing >.<
"I'm gonna make you bleed like me!"
Characterization Society
Discord
Mar 26, 2014 8:40 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
BadMediaKarma said:
Sorry for asking a stupid question, but by bench anime, do you mean anime that is continuing in that season or will last for more than 13 episodes-something like Naruto Shippuuden or Yu Gi Oh Arc V?
This is my first time playing >.<

Bench refers to the two anime titles on your team that do not earn points in a given week. Everyone's team will have seven anime titles: the first five you list for your starting lineup when you submit your registration will be your active titles, and the other two will be your bench titles. So let's say you start out with

Team: ThisismyUsername
Anime One
Anime Two
Anime Three
Anime Four
Anime Five
Anime Six
Anime Seven

During week one, Anime Six and Anime Seven are your bench anime. Anime One through Five will earn you points that week, but you will get no points for Anime Six and Seven. Starting in Week Two, once every three weeks (or less often if you choose) you are allowed to swap one of your active anime for one of your bench anime. Many players opt to do this because one of their bench anime may be worth a lot more points in certain weeks, or may simply be vastly more popular than something on their active team.

Bench vs Active has nothing to do with how long an anime series runs, and everything to do with whether or not the anime in question will earn a participating player any points for that week.
Mar 27, 2014 5:29 AM

Mar 2014
Help me, I want to participate this FAL but apparently, new member can't send message to FALbot for at least 3 days after you joined ;_;
Mar 27, 2014 5:45 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
LLawlied said:
Help me, I want to participate this FAL but apparently, new member can't send message to FALbot for at least 3 days after you joined ;_;

I sent you a message with instructions how to register. If any other new user has this problem, please post in this thread and I'll send you a message as well.
Mar 27, 2014 7:55 AM

Sep 2012
Do I need to put something in the "Subject" or do I just leave it blank?
Mar 27, 2014 8:11 AM

Nov 2008
sackboy97 said:
Do I need to put something in the "Subject" or do I just leave it blank?

I wrote "Registration" and a friend of me didn't put anything in there and we were both accepted so I guess it doesn't matter.
Mar 27, 2014 8:52 AM

Sep 2012
Tacas said:
I wrote "Registration" and a friend of me didn't put anything in there and we were both accepted so I guess it doesn't matter.

Ok, thanks! How dow you know i you're accepted? Do you receive a confirmation message?
Mar 27, 2014 8:56 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
The message subject doesn't matter.

To see if you're accepted please check the headcount thread. Please check the last edit time of the post to see if I've already update it after your registration. I'll update this thread more regularly now in the last days :)
Mar 27, 2014 1:56 PM

Mar 2014
Luna_ said:
LLawlied said:

I sent you a message with instructions how to register. If any other new user has this problem, please post in this thread and I'll send you a message as well.

OK, done. Thank you very much :D
Mar 27, 2014 11:11 PM

Mar 2014
It looks like I have not been registered.
I registered through e-mail as instructed because I'm still not allowed to send message.
Mar 28, 2014 1:08 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
@LLawlied: I got your email. I'll update the headcount thread in ~8 hours when I'm back at my computer with my FAL scripts. If there are any problems with your team (though from just looking at it it looks fine) we will send you a message.

And since I get asked this a lot, I want to repeat what's written in the headcount thread:

If you're not on this list and the post's last edit time is after you've sent your registration, then you are NOT registered. In that case, please contact the FAL staff.

So if the thread wasn't edited then there's nothing to worry about, only if it's updated and you're not on the list. If we found a problem with your team then you will receive a message about it. If you are not on the list and did not get a message though, please message one of us immediately.
Mar 28, 2014 11:49 PM

Jun 2008
The rules say that you can't swap two anime at once, but it also says that the wildcard swap is an exception to the once-every-three-weeks rule. Can you wildcard swap and regular swap two shows on the same week?
Mar 29, 2014 12:04 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
_eternal said:
The rules say that you can't swap two anime at once, but it also says that the wildcard swap is an exception to the once-every-three-weeks rule. Can you wildcard swap and regular swap two shows on the same week?

Not during the same week, no. It's always only one swap a week. But you will be able to make a swap the following week. The FAQ covers this question and includes some examples.
Mar 29, 2014 1:31 AM

Nov 2011
Mm, I submitted my team earlier tonight. Might make one adjustment later, maybe.
Mar 29, 2014 9:52 AM

Mar 2008
Stark700 said:
Mm, I submitted my team earlier tonight. Might make one adjustment later, maybe.

I have a question to this. I had to send my submission twice because I acidentally sent in 8 instead of 7 anime.
Now I'm thinking of changing 1 anime with another.
I feel horrible... ;w; is it still allowed? xD
Mar 29, 2014 11:26 AM

Nov 2011
precious said:
Stark700 said:

I have a question to this. I had to send my submission twice because I acidentally sent in 8 instead of 7 anime.

You're allowed one change before the deadline I believe if you pm FALbot.
Mar 29, 2014 11:43 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
precious said:

If you have to send a new registration because you made a mistake like
- submitting a team with the wrong length
- choosing anime that aren't eligible
- choosing the same anime twice
then the registration with the incorrect information doesn't count as a registration. Usually you will get a PM from us asking to submit a corrected team unless you notice it faster than we process the new registrations.

So for example if you send a registration with one of the errors listed above and then a corrected registration, you can still re-register once until the deadline.
Mar 29, 2014 5:45 PM

Mar 2014
I really wanna enter this competition but MAL says I'm not allowed to send messages for another 3 days cause I'm new and I already made my line up. Can I can get a little help?
Mar 29, 2014 8:36 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
InkBladeX said:
I really wanna enter this competition but MAL says I'm not allowed to send messages for another 3 days cause I'm new and I already made my line up. Can I can get a little help?

One of the FAL mods should have sent you a PM with instructions not long ago. Hope that helps!
Mar 30, 2014 6:09 AM

Mar 2012
Tomorrow is the deadline right?
Mar 30, 2014 6:12 AM

Dec 2011
slightly under 5 hours time. Is that tomorrow for you?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 30, 2014 6:22 AM

Mar 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
slightly under 5 hours time. Is that tomorrow for you?
That's around 1AM in my country so I count it as another day.
Mar 30, 2014 7:31 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
For everyone who is unsure, you can see the current time in UTC/GMT here, so you have 3.5 hours left to register.
Mar 30, 2014 7:36 AM

Sep 2011
Finally decided on my team
Mar 30, 2014 7:39 AM

Mar 2014
Numi said:
InkBladeX said:

One of the FAL mods should have sent you a PM with instructions not long ago. Hope that helps!

Someone gave me a reply really quick and I even see my name on the headcount so I'm all set. Thanks everyone!
Mar 30, 2014 11:17 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Registration for FAL Spring 2014 has now ended! If you missed the registration for this season, don't worry. We'll be back for another FAL season in Fall 2014. Hope to see you then!
p r o f i l e 👀
Apr 1, 2014 9:50 AM

Jun 2012
Damn it! I just found out about this today so I missed the registration >:(
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (March 2024) VOTING

KarenShirotori - Mar 20

21 by Nate »»
Yesterday, 3:31 PM

» My MALentine Story 💌 3rd Edition: Voting Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Feb 11

1959 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Mar 19, 5:23 PM

» | CLOSED | Best Profile Design (March 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - Mar 1

6 by KarenShirotori »»
Mar 16, 5:37 PM

» Best Profile Design (February 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Mar 1

11 by DarkStarHarry »»
Mar 10, 8:29 PM

» Best Signature Design - February 2024 | Winners

Nate - Feb 29

7 by DarkStarHarry »»
Mar 10, 8:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.