Forum Settings
Forums
Battle Angel Alita: Last Order Omnibus
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 16, 2014 6:36 AM

Dec 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
What a touching end. I'm not entirely happy that there's two Alitas now, but it still makes me warm inside.

See you in the next one!
Mar 16, 2014 2:20 PM

Feb 2013
Thank God for the announcement of a continuation, if not for that I would probably be raging right about now.
I am quite satisfied with how things stand at the moment, but that sequel better answer the questions that this one did not.
Now being incompetent – that’s what’s best, really. To be completely obtuse. To be so oblivious as to never think for a second about one’s purpose in life, to never think about the meaning of life, to never think about the value of life. Then this world would be paradise. Calm, peaceful, and serene. Trivial things would be major, and major things trivial, and life could be lived to its fullest.
Mar 17, 2014 5:28 PM

Oct 2013
I finally catch back up on this series after 3 years or so and now I gotta wait until summer for the conclusion. Been an awesome ride, and I hope the conclusion is satisfying (I don't want some shit like Gantz ending T_T)
Mar 17, 2014 7:22 PM

Dec 2008
DaJay42 said:
What a touching end. I'm not entirely happy that there's two Alitas now, but it still makes me warm inside.

It was obviously done to wrap up Figure arc by officially putting an end to any ties and promises between him and current main heroine (by shipping him out with the original one XD). On one hand it is kind of amazing that the author bothered to put so much work into tying up the loose end that was lying untouched for something like 10 years (many other authors would either wrap it with a few pages at best or just plain ignore it), on the other hand though this was a looooong arc that had little to do with the really interesting stuff...

Anyway, it's good to know that the story is finally going back to following Alita and the main plot :)
New profile design sucks.
May 26, 2014 1:36 PM

Oct 2012
I don't realy see the reason for the fuss about the last order being so bad to be honest...

Actually, I may be one of those few who actually prefer last order..
Aside of year of release at which it was done, gunnm barely had anything special.. Yes, it was a great read and such, but something brilliant? Not at all, maybe IF it was a shonen type manga and not seinen I would tell it's great for shonen.. but it's seinen.. and I will be honest, seinen is my favorite type of manga and it's not for the reasons of nudity/brutality, it's for the reason of mature content, which is not realy the case...

First gunnm had just quite a few flaws, starting with how purely illogical the characters were done up till the point where there wasn't anything overly brilliant(if we read it nowadays, for the time of release it surely would be amongst the top)

The only point that saves gunnm is sheer enjoyment - it's not your typical shonen, where you can already guess miles ahead that protagonist will never lose and such, it added some diversity here and there and a few twists to mix in, so it was a good work overall :)

Now why I prefer last order.. well, probably since it improved on the humor side.. a few jokes here and there sure relaxed the atmosphere(maybe even a bit too much, tho).. perv jokes are also always welcome for me, hehe :D
Also the characters became more.. logical(?), well, at least you could see the reason behind some things now without having a facepalm or two..
Out of bad sides in the order up to date for me was the DBZ effect... it just feels wrong how characters get such massive power ups pretty much out of void..

Well, now I am realy looking forward to the grand finale during the summer anyway :)
Frau x probably being alita's childhood friend, heh.. the only thing that seems wrong is that the one to encounter her will be brainchip alita and not the real brained one..
Well, maybe they will actually unite or something, we will just have to wait and see :D

Not realy expecting too much out of finale to be honest, but a simple closure will do for this series, as it's not the series I watched for some deep philosophy anyway..
Jan 20, 2016 12:32 AM

Apr 2011
Read Last Order immediately after finishing the original serialization. I wonder if the mangaka had planned this ending since the beginning as there were some parallels between this ending and the rushed ending.

The series got bogged down a bit during the tournament arc, but I still love this series. I'm really interested in where they are going to take the story next.
Sep 27, 2016 8:15 PM
May 2010
Damn, granting her "Orignal" the happiness of being with her loved one whilst she herself musters onwards, becoming a true outsider and unbound by the shackles of her past.
Jan 26, 2017 1:49 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
When Last Order was good, it was bloody glorious ( the vampire arc in particular) But this last arc and some of the shounen power ups drag it down a bit.

Still very enjoyable read.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 29, 2021 2:02 PM

Oct 2010
I think I am one of those people who prefer the original ending, last order was too much for my brain
Jun 11, 2022 4:45 AM

Dec 2015
Tome 12 / final phase (phase 124)

The abrupt switch in this turn toward an outcome for Gunnm (all the "Gally Quest" chapters) barely offers anything new aside from a wider resolution (you still get to see some hope for the various populations, and the whereabouts of other characters than Fogia and Gally) to the cost of the original's emotion (same personal ending, less impact).
It even allows itself the luxury of taking some detours (Nova/Chaos) when the whole second manga is a big detour whose sole intention was a (long) sneak peek of the universe behind the manga.

4/5

Overall:
Interesting "space scifi" world & concept, uninteresting Gunnm resurrection degenerating into a fantasy martial arts show past the first two books while forgetting its initial goals (until the last two books) and new promises (the exploration of Gally's past, wich would eventually be covered in yet another sequel series).
One can still take something out of the middle chapters telling the origin of the current world (despite vampires and other excentricities.

Score: 4.5/10
Enjoyment: 1/5
As if the Rollerball chapters had taken even more space in the original manga...

Score: 5/10
Enjoyment: 2/5 (It became a chore after only a few tomes out of 12 !)
Rei_IIIJun 11, 2022 5:15 AM
Aug 16, 2023 3:20 PM

Nov 2013
Honetly this barely felt like an Alita manga at all.
You all need to watch Nami.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gunnm: Last Order Chapter 25 Discussion

Captainjeddy - Apr 3

1 by majin_mark505 »»
Apr 3, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Gunnm: Last Order Chapter 26 Discussion

Captainjeddy - Apr 3

0 by Captainjeddy »»
Apr 3, 8:58 AM

Poll: » Gunnm: Last Order Chapter 19 Discussion

Captainjeddy - Apr 3

0 by Captainjeddy »»
Apr 3, 7:30 AM

Poll: » Dai Machine (Gunnm: Last Order) Discussion

Rei_III - Jun 19, 2019

1 by Captainjeddy »»
Mar 17, 2:13 AM

Poll: » Gunnm: Last Order Chapter 15 Discussion

Waitripah - Jun 4, 2021

1 by Captainjeddy »»
Mar 15, 10:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.