Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else did not like the original series nearly as much as the rebuilds movie series?

New
Mar 14, 2014 11:01 AM

Apr 2012
see topic
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Mar 15, 2014 10:26 PM

Jan 2013
I liked the original series up until the last 2 episodes and then the last 2 ruined the series for me. But loving the rebuild movies. Recently just watched 1.11 on BluRay and the picture quality was just amazing. Also content removed to the bit added it was nice too. (Mostly got rid of Shinji's emo moments which is perfect, but still don't like his character.) Will be watching 2.22 soon can't wait.
Mar 16, 2014 7:52 PM
Jan 2012
bunny_lover said:
see topic

Interesting topic to bring up. I'll start with the original series first. On the one hand, I did enjoy how complex the characters were in the original series. But on the other hand, I was getting tired of all them taking bigger nosedives into depression as none of them really progressed or developed as a character (especially Shinji).

Rebuild however has been very enjoyable to me, even though there has been some pacing issues from time to time. I like how more proactive Shinji is, especially in 3.0 when he's given the chance to "redo" his mistakes, and I also like how more complex the story is as well as the mysterious pasts of each character that caused them to change for better or worse. So yeah, while the original series had a pretty good start, I'm enjoying Rebuild a little more with 1 more film to go.
Mar 17, 2014 5:41 PM

Apr 2012
@TheDrmcvey

First of all, I want to apologize for taking so long to respond, though to be fair I was busy with school work and stuff yesterday. Kind of important for my GPA and stuff.

Anyways,

Yes. I agree with your sentiments, and I would just like to expand a bit on what you said, with some quotes as well as my own personal enjoyment factor.

TheDrmcvey said:

Interesting topic to bring up. I'll start with the original series first. On the one hand, I did enjoy how complex the characters were in the original series. But on the other hand, I was getting tired of all them taking bigger nosedives into depression as none of them really progressed or developed as a character (especially Shinji).
Exactly this. My not enjoying the original series is because I am not a fan of the dimentia genre and usually dislike any story that "artistically" leaves things unexplained here and there.

However, after I read this article, I began to see the original series in a different light (though still with discontent).
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/04/top-25-greatest-anime-characters?page=5

Yes, Shinji is #1. Yes, we know some of you are probably confused and/or pissed. But here's the reasoning:

Heroes are often who we want to be; powerful, capable, beautiful, confident, selfless, and with some carefully added flaws to make them relatable. But Shinji was different; he wasn't who we wanted to be. Instead, he provided an uncensored look at who we are. He's hated for being a wuss; scared, whiny, creepy, and hopeless. But what 14-year-old kid wouldn't be given what he's had to deal with? He's a character that challenges the audience by not giving them a superficial, vicarious power fantasy like you'd get from so many other anime. He is pathetic, but that is what makes him great. That is what makes him a genuine work of art.

Hideaki Anno, writer and director of the Evangelion series, went through a serious bout of depression while making the show and like a true artist he poured all of that emotion and despair into his work. Each of those characters is a piece of him at his worst, immortalized in media. No character represents his emotions more than Shinji. Through the boy Shinji, who is tasked with defeating giant demons trying to destroy his world, we get an intimate peek at the man behind the production trying to defeat his own personal demons.

Shinji is a mirror of all the things depression teaches a person to hate about themselves; he's not an exit door to a fantasyland. There's nothing wrong with escapist fantasy, but it's not the only thing anime can be used for, and Shinji's legacy is that he was perhaps the most emotionally true-to-life character in anime history.

The rebuild series definitely fit an average person's sense of enjoyment better, and establishes normal characters in a more easily understood story, though still not without crazy EVA twists throughout. I can see that people who loved the original series would not like the movies as much, and people who watched original series and did not like it can still enjoy the hell out of the movie rebuilds. In a sense, the original series is more "artistic", and the movie series is more catered toward the general public, arguably heavily leaned toward the shounen genre.
bunny1ov3rMay 29, 2014 7:01 PM
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Mar 20, 2014 1:49 PM
Jul 2013
In contrast with many other people opinions, I enjoyed the rebuild movies way more than the original series.I didn't like NGE because from one point on the story was only about the emotional state of the characters and there was no development on the actual story and there was no action.I believe that character development is essential but i think that in the series they overdid itI found the End Of Evangelion movie weird and it just didn't fit to my likes.On the other hand,I found the rebuild movies amazing!The animation is much better and the story is much more complex and intriguing!There is enough character development for my likes.Not too little,no too much.I believe that focusing on the story was a wise decision instead of keeping the characters whining about theirselfs.Overall,the rebuild movies got me really hyped!I can't wait till the final movie!

(I just hate that my opinion is a bit unpopular and people keep criticizing it negatively.)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2014 3:27 AM

Jun 2013
I love the original series and EoE, but for me, rebuilt films are better (Especially 3.0)
Apr 6, 2014 1:48 PM

Mar 2014
I really love the original series till the 2 last chapters... no matter how many times I re-watch Eva I can't enjoy them. I get the feeling that they're just outright pretentious, I know they are supposed to be psychological, philosophical and whatnot (2deep4me), not into that kind of stuff.
The rebuild movie series though... they are way too shonen imo, what really saves them (for me) for from being utter garbage is DAT soundtrack, it always gives me the chills, that's it. Not really looking forward the finale since the 3rd movie proved to be ridiculous (wait to see how everyone praises this movie in 10 years).
Apr 20, 2014 4:50 AM

Mar 2013
Original series > End of eva > 2.0 > 1.0 > 3.0 > Death and rebirth > @School
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Apr 22, 2014 9:21 AM
Apr 2014
EvenJellyOn said:
Original series > End of eva > 2.0 > 1.0 > 3.0 > Death and rebirth > @School
Yeah what this guy says for me.
NeigeNoire said:
I really love the original series till the 2 last chapters... no matter how many times I re-watch Eva I can't enjoy them. I get the feeling that they're just outright pretentious, I know they are supposed to be psychological, philosophical and whatnot (2deep4me), not into that kind of stuff.

Personally, I LOVE crazy shit, which is why I loved NGE, and I completely understand why people dont like episodes 25 and 26, however let me shed some light on the subject. Throughout the show he listens to tracks 25 and 26 the whole time because those are the two episodes that show whats going on in his head. If you pay attention (not saying you didnt) its easy to notice that those two episodes show what is happening in Shinji's mind during EOE, noticing that he's out of it the whole time. Plus the original reason they decided to do that with those episodes was because they ran out of funding, otherwise they honestly might have done something a little more obvious. While not the greatest episodes, I think with that information that should make them atleast interesting, for not many shows have done something of that caliber.

As far as my opinions on the movies go, 1.0 was great, 2.0 was fantastic, and 3.0 really fucking depends on what they do with the story in 4.0. If you really think about it, 3.0 did not advance the plot at all. 3.0 was pretty and interesting to watch, but summing it up the only plot advancement was: 14 years (zoop gone) later. Organization that realizes Nerv is not completely good guys, the earth is a little more messed up, a new Rei is having an identity crisis, and Shinji has started phase one of his out-of-it depression. It really isnt much for a full feature film. My favorite part of it was how they represented Kaworu (plus how he died) and that the title was so well chosen.

3.0 is very important to this discussion because it endangers the original plot the most, so it's up to 4.0 to see what they do with the plot.
Apr 28, 2014 8:10 AM

Apr 2013
NaTaSo0 said:
In contrast with many other people opinions, I enjoyed the rebuild movies way more than the original series.I didn't like NGE because from one point on the story was only about the emotional state of the characters and there was no development on the actual story and there was no action.I believe that character development is essential but i think that in the series they overdid itI found the End Of Evangelion movie weird and it just didn't fit to my likes.On the other hand,I found the rebuild movies amazing!The animation is much better and the story is much more complex and intriguing!There is enough character development for my likes.Not too little,no too much.I believe that focusing on the story was a wise decision instead of keeping the characters whining about theirselfs.Overall,the rebuild movies got me really hyped!I can't wait till the final movie!

(I just hate that my opinion is a bit unpopular and people keep criticizing it negatively.)

Since when did NGE has no story development?
Apr 29, 2014 1:00 PM
Apr 2014
Maroon1 said:

Since when did NGE has no story development?

Well, they are probably referencing the fact that it was hard to follow, which is a good reason to dislike nge, but it being hard to follow made it more of an interesting ride for me. I love showing people nge because theyll ask tons of questions and you get to see if they pick up on the answers to them by the end of eoe.
Jul 26, 2014 10:43 AM

Nov 2013
I have to say Evangelion movies have one of the best animation I´ve seen, along with Hellsing Ultimate. I like both original series (and End of Eva as its best part) and movies.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 15, 2015 9:48 AM

Sep 2011
When I first saw the original series I thought it was a masterpiece. Rewatching it after several years made me realize it's an overly pretentious pseudo psychological drama. It's not bad, just not great. Pretty standard for the time it was made. The animation and soundtrack are fantastic though.

That said I personally liked the rebuilds until 3.0 a lot more than the original t.v. series and the 2 movies. It had everything I liked about the original series minus everything I disliked. I will watch Eva 3.0+1.0 or whatever he ends up calling it because I need to know how this ends. After watching 3.0, I've lost almost all interest in the rebuilds. It's amazing just how hard Anno copped out and shit all over his previous movie in a matter of an hour and 30 mins. Still, I'm curious as to where he will take these rebuilds after the mess that was 3.0.
Jan 23, 2015 10:48 PM
Oct 2014
So far the rebuilds are just happening without any explanation for it's plot. We still don't know why Mari is in the movies, what she does, why can she synch with Unit 2, and 2 movies of her in it it is not even touched upon, she doesn't even have interesting dialogues with the other characters. Her biggest concern seems to be her boobs. Asuka is a completely different character than NGE Asuka. Shinji is manipulated by reverse psychology, Rei has a personality.
It seems to me that NGE cannon does not apply to Rebuilds.
I'm gonna go and guess this is gonna be one of those alternative universe/timeline crap.
Jan 23, 2015 10:52 PM

Jul 2012
The movies were a treat for the eyes. I'm 50/50 on this, tbh as I didn't LOVE either of them that much. I will get back to you when I rewatch the series again.
Jan 25, 2015 5:56 AM
Jul 2018
The Rebuilds didn't affect me even close to how much NGE did. Rebuilds just have a simplified story with almost no character development for the characters that did in NGE and just modern animation.
Jan 30, 2015 6:11 PM

Oct 2012
Interesting topic. Good point.

But I just don't know what to say...nor what to feel...

I loved everything! What the original series misses, rebuild fixes...

The action, the feeling that makes you feel all hyped and enthusiastic, Rebuild has it!

I know people are going to say (especially the old fans) that Evangelion has lost its prime, its "feeling" of a different anime, the outstanding factor.

I disagree...IMO it's all EVA, on another point of view.That's the majestic point! EVA can be totally different and still awesome. Loved Every single moment of the series.

Can't wait for the final movie...

PS: Even If there was a crossover between EVA and Twilight Saga, I'd get on the line.
Feb 2, 2015 7:16 PM
Oct 2014
Kiddo81 said:
Interesting topic. Good point.

But I just don't know what to say...nor what to feel...

I loved everything! What the original series misses, rebuild fixes...

The action, the feeling that makes you feel all hyped and enthusiastic, Rebuild has it!

I know people are going to say (especially the old fans) that Evangelion has lost its prime, its "feeling" of a different anime, the outstanding factor.

I disagree...IMO it's all EVA, on another point of view.That's the majestic point! EVA can be totally different and still awesome. Loved Every single moment of the series.

Can't wait for the final movie...

PS: Even If there was a crossover between EVA and Twilight Saga, I'd get on the line.

Rebuilds are not bad, I enjoy them.
But they lack certain... depth compared to NGE and EoE.
To me the original had so much tension and felt larger than life.
The only thing it screwed up was the ending.
Feb 9, 2015 4:51 PM

Oct 2008
Holy mother of plebs on this thread.

Rebuilds (especially 3.33) only beat the original in sound and visuals, and yet sometimes the old series looks better because the 3DGI used in the movies looks pretty shitty compared to actual hand drawn animation.

Rebuild has no character development, no depth and no exposition.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Feb 15, 2015 5:41 PM

Mar 2010
No question, Rebuild will never capture the insanity that the 90s had to offer. Though the story was slow at times and the budget was shit, NGE captured character development that really differs from the characters of Rebuild, almost changing the characters completely. Shinji may be an emo cry baby but he's 14 I find it unrealistic that he's so chill in Rebuild. No doubt, Rebuild is candy to the eyes and the detail is astounding, but it only seems so amazing because we're comparing it to something that was made so many years ago, if NGE had the technology that we do now Rebuild wouldn't have a chance. Also every episode of NGE felt like a wicked acid trip and Rebuild just can't compare brain-fuck wise.(lol)

Feb 16, 2015 7:57 AM

Jul 2014
Well the only movie I've seen so far is 1.11 I'm watching 2.22 tonight.

However, while the improved animation and sound quality are welcome, the movie departed from the series in some ways that I found bothersome. I also feel like the characters are not gonna be as fleshed out. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it and I hope 2.22 and 3.33 will leave me pleasantly surprised.
Mar 1, 2015 1:29 PM

Aug 2014
Watched EVA when I was 14-the only time to watch it. Also, I skipped the last 2 episodes and went straight onto EoE the first half of which is amazing! I'm not getting the same feels from the rebuilds personally.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 3, 2015 5:02 PM
Jul 2018
Rebuilds appeal more to casuals that seek animation and don't use their brain to watch anime.

And I swear if someone says that the rebuilds have better characters or is more well written, he needs to f off. :P
Mar 3, 2015 5:10 PM
Dec 2013
bekeru said:

Rebuilds (especially 3.33) only beat the original in sound and visuals, and yet sometimes the old series looks better because the 3DGI used in the movies looks pretty shitty compared to actual hand drawn animation.

hipster alarm
Mar 3, 2015 5:14 PM
Dec 2013
OkarinPriest said:
Rebuilds appeal more to casuals that seek animation and don't use their brain to watch anime.

And I swear if someone says that the rebuilds have better characters or is more well written, he needs to f off. :P

fuck opinions right? well then likewise

you are probably one of those people who think ep 25-26 of the original were "deep" lol

I think the rebuild versions of the characters are a lot better
Especially Shinji and Asuka
they were fucking annoying in the original

Rei (from 1.0 + 2.0 at least) was awesome and Kaworu got more time so thats good

here's hoping that Shinji hasn't regressed into a wimp again
FuckMAl4132Mar 3, 2015 5:19 PM
Mar 6, 2015 6:14 AM

Aug 2008
Well movie 1 is basically just episode 1-6 copy paste almost so I guess I have no complaints there. 2 is far too rushed and Asuka's character really lacks the depth she used to have as well (This goes for all the characters of course). I did really like 3.0 for going in a new direction and being pretty unique overall.

But as it stands, no not really. There's too many characters in the eva movies and they aren't being fleshed out properly because of the limited running time. Not to mention having 3.0 completely focus on Shinji and none of the other characters, will probably be harmful in the end. The story feels rather scatterbrained as well but we will have to see the final movie to be sure of anything. The action can be pretty cool and I think people like how the characters were made to be more appealing, but I really don't think EVA was the series to do that with.

Though personally I feel if you want the best EVA experience, then the manga is your best bet.
Mar 21, 2015 9:00 AM

Aug 2013
found the rebuilds to be awful
huh
Mar 24, 2015 10:24 AM
Aug 2013
Journey_95 said:
OkarinPriest said:

you are probably one of those people who think ep 25-26 of the original were "deep" lol

Rei (from 1.0 + 2.0 at least) was awesome and Kaworu got more time so thats good

This CP has the truth. I also share your opinion. Although, I didn't really expect the whole 3.0 movie. Anyways, my favourite movie is the second one. I won't tell a permanent opinion, only after 3.0+1.0, because that will make the whole rebuild, the last eight years whole.

And okarinpriest... if somebody should fuck off, that's you. Everyone has his/her opinion about the Rebuild movies. If you can't accept/tolerate/see other's opinions, but just say "fuck off", you should just exit this forum right now.
Apr 14, 2015 3:07 AM

Sep 2014
rebuilds are a joke, sorry master anno
May 25, 2015 12:20 AM

Oct 2008
Journey_95 said:
bekeru said:

hipster alarm

More like nice rebuttal, Anno fanboy. Can you deny anything of what I've said? but it's okay if you like your deep character called Mari that has absolutely no point in the story but she's hot, sings nyan songs and make hot figurines, it's all good
good.
Also, the CGI looks cheap for something that's supposed to cost millions to make. Heck, even Expelled from Paradise, animated by a cheapass studio like TOEI didn't look that bad sometimes.

Hideaki Anno now is almost as bad as George Lucas.
bekeruMay 25, 2015 12:24 AM
>User since 2008

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

May 25, 2015 11:46 AM
Oct 2014
Journey_95 said:
OkarinPriest said:

Troll detected.
Jun 1, 2015 7:16 PM

Oct 2008
twoheadedmona said:
Journey_95 said:

Troll detected.

That's the target audience for Rebuild of Eva, people who want to watch pretty explosions, tits and waifus. Also they like when Shinji acts like an one-dimensional badass motherfucker, because "fuck wimps t-they hit too close home"

Seriously, I know both Asuka and Shinji in the original can be considered annoying by a lot of people, but that's because they go throught so much shit in the series that their minds regress a lot. Rebuild fanboys don't want to see flawed characters, so it's pointless to argue about it anyway.
>User since 2008

Jun 4, 2015 8:46 AM
Jun 2015
End of Eva & the Original TV anime>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>1.0>2.0>3.0

No idea how people feel as though Asuka and Rei are more likable in the rebuilds especially Asuka feels like a generic tsundere since her back story has been removed and Rei's development felt more believable in the TV series.

Every event that took place in 2.0 was done far better in the Original TV series for example, the fight against the Eva unit 03/Bardiel lacked the impact of episode 18 we were given so much time to care about Toji as a character but Asuka was only in 2.0 for 25 damn minutes as well as shinji not even having to witness the Eva almost kill his friend (more like acquaintance). It seemed to rely on the audience being familiar with Asuka and her relationship with Shinji which is strange because the NTE films are supposed to be more accessible to new fans. Some scenes felt like they were deliberately put in to piss off old fans such as Asuka talking to the doll from her flashback which basically has no meaning if you haven't seen the original TV series.

I'll take the aesthetic of the original series over the rebuilds jarring use of CG any day too!
Jun 17, 2015 7:15 PM

Mar 2012
2.0 is the best part of Eva, but 3.0 makes even the worst parts of the original series look about as good as Evangelion's fanbase makes them out to be. It's like they were so intent on mirroring what made the original series so well loved that they didn't even care about the massive gaping plot holes that such a sudden shift in direction would inevitably create.
SeibaaHomuJun 17, 2015 7:18 PM
Jun 18, 2015 1:56 AM

Jan 2012
I loved the end of eva and death and rebirth was pretty good as well. Especially the audio commentary with the old ADV english voice cast. They were very funny and gave alot of background on the evas.

The new rebuild is better than the original in some aspects, like in animation and that Shinji was less of a wuss. But god they're taking too long to release the films. At least with the original you can watch the thing in one go, not this watch a little then wait so long you no longer care anymore...

My vote goes to the original.
Jul 1, 2015 6:45 PM

May 2012
Is it not okay to love both?
Jul 2, 2015 4:38 PM

Sep 2012
After finishing the series, I immediately jumped into 1.11 and 2.22 and loved them more than the main series. That was two years ago. After rewatching the Rebuild films with a group of friends, I realized that they weren't all that and what had made them seem much better at the time was the information you gain from the television series. There's so much character building and subplots that aren't present in the films and it was hard to separate the two series when originally watching them back to back. Rebuilds are good supplementary material but as a stand alone piece...naw.
Sep 17, 2016 8:02 PM

Sep 2016
i never like eva at all, dont undrstand why everyone worshipping it so much, even the blatant clone of it, rahxephon is much better (it's still bad)

it's basically Ultraman with robot. and much edgier.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 12, 2016 6:38 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
bobawesome said:
After finishing the series, I immediately jumped into 1.11 and 2.22 and loved them more than the main series. That was two years ago. After rewatching the Rebuild films with a group of friends, I realized that they weren't all that and what had made them seem much better at the time was the information you gain from the television series. There's so much character building and subplots that aren't present in the films and it was hard to separate the two series when originally watching them back to back. Rebuilds are good supplementary material but as a stand alone piece...naw.

Great as standalones, if someone is affraid to dig in the TV series, Rebuild is the way to get started.
Oct 17, 2016 7:53 AM
Aug 2015
Nope. The Rebuilds are typical shounen mecha and lacks any signs of depth unlike the original series. I also dislike the Rebuilds' animation A LOT.

Iro said:
The new rebuild is better than the original in some aspects, like in animation and that Shinji was less of a wuss.

The animation is worse than in the original series. Please compare 2.0's animation to End of Evangelion's. 2.0 relies too much on CGI (which is eye rape in some scenes) and a pretty color palette, whereas EoE is a feast for the eyes as dark as it looks.
archaaiOct 17, 2016 8:14 AM
Oct 17, 2016 4:40 PM

Jan 2012
Compare rebuild to the original series not the EoE.

The original series animation was crap as. It was rife with 10 min elevator scenes where nothing happens to save on costs. On the last half of the episodes where they ran out of budget, they even had scenes with black and white sketches instead of actual colour animation.

If I had to rate the original series on animation instead of plot, it'll be 2/10 instead of 10/10. It was just that bad.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

S0UVIK - Aug 12, 2021

327 by soasss »»
Apr 19, 10:55 PM

Poll: » time loop or multiverse?

deg - Mar 19

11 by Bkm1995 »»
Mar 20, 9:16 PM

» Shinji's Jersey from EVA STORE

hohofish - Apr 15, 2021

1 by 1016jersey »»
Mar 15, 12:03 PM

» Shin Evangelion Movie: II???? Why change the title now?

Cestlavie_ - Nov 25, 2023

10 by Lucifrost »»
Feb 6, 8:40 AM

» Employee recruitment for the production of 3.0+1.0.

zacky1312 - May 23, 2018

2 by simeji8043 »»
Jan 22, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.