Forum Settings
Forums

Original TV Anime 'M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane' Announced [Update 3/18]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 13, 2014 12:40 PM
Jul 2012
Stark700 said:
Same director as Aria, Sailor Moon, and Tamayura..

Ehh, not going to watch this because of those. Not my kind of taste.
Mar 13, 2014 12:45 PM

Sep 2011
Houndthree said:
Dunois said:

Mechanical Designs: Shoji Kawamori
Studio: Satelight

FUCK YES
Dunois said:

Script: Mari Okada

Tyrel said:
For the love of god, I hope it's not crap like almost every Mecha this and last year.

For the love of god, would you guys stop burying the mecha genre.
Gundam Build Fighters, Gundam unicorn, MJP, Code Geass Movies, GitS Arise (2), Macross Frontier Movie 2 etc. They were all fantastic.

Code Geass Movies ain't that good, Unicorn is good. GitS isn't really considered "mecha" at least I don't as most of the fighting is done with guns and the works. Frontier is 6 years old. Gundam Build Fighters is okay, but they're not really risking their life so I don't considered it the style of Mecha I like.
TyrelMar 13, 2014 12:51 PM
Mar 13, 2014 12:50 PM

Aug 2010
Will check it out considering its mecha lol, hopefully it will have the fair share of drama and political drama.
Mar 13, 2014 1:19 PM

Oct 2007
crosby_87 said:
Will check it out considering its mecha lol, hopefully it will have the fair share of drama and political drama.

Has Okada ever written a show from scratch that has political drama in it. As I insisted early that's kind of one of the things I've really missed from the genre of late. It seems like a lot of recent stuff would rather have over wrought romantic melodrama as its major effort at drama kind of like every other crappy modern half baked anime and that its this sort of thing that tends to be taking center stage rather than the machinations of the conflicts themselves with the mecha and personal character struggles getting pushed to the background. Again stuff like Unicorn and Yamato 2199 feels like the exception rather than the rule.

With this staff I just don't see that happening and would sooner simply hope that she can tone down on the seeming man hating thing. She has this tendency to portray men as these controlling and or bumbling assholes of late as does Kawamori. With a Shojo director I think this will probably have a female lead which granted some people that tend to show up in a bluster in a lot of mecha threads on here an ANN with their absolute opinions seem to think will instantly and magically fix any and all problems the show might have if not make it outright great, but obviously its not quite that simple for some of us.
PeacingOutMar 13, 2014 1:23 PM
Mar 13, 2014 1:29 PM
May 2013
DarknessOfEmo said:
Stark700 said:

Why don't you check out the website and tell me if you think it looks anything like those shows?

LOL @ people who think they already know what this show is going to be about based on a few staff members. Puhleaze. Just because Mari Okada is involved is it going to be the next Hanasaku Iroha? Riiiiight....is it the next Sailor moon because of the director? Seriously?! Did you even look at the website?
HahalollawlMar 13, 2014 1:33 PM
Mar 13, 2014 1:53 PM

Jul 2012
Tyrel said:
Code Geass Movies ain't that good, Unicorn is good. GitS isn't really considered "mecha" at least I don't as most of the fighting is done with guns and the works. Frontier is 6 years old. Gundam Build Fighters is okay, but they're not really risking their life so I don't considered it the style of Mecha I like.

The Code Geass movies are doing a better job that R2, they don't have illogical plot twists + the mecha scenes there are actually good. I talked about the second Macross F movie which is about 2 1/3 - 3 years old. (still pretty new imo) Someone who hasn't seen all the UC Gundam shows won't understand/enjoy Unicorn to 100%. The same goes for Build Fighters, there are some pretty cool references to other Gundam shows.
MaorMar 13, 2014 2:24 PM
הלב שלי כבר מת
Mar 13, 2014 2:03 PM

Nov 2011
Hahalollawl said:
DarknessOfEmo said:
Stark700 said:

Why don't you check out the website and tell me if you think it looks anything like those shows?

LOL @ people who think they already know what this show is going to be about based on a few staff members. Puhleaze. Just because Mari Okada is involved is it going to be the next Hanasaku Iroha? Riiiiight....is it the next Sailor moon because of the director? Seriously?! Did you even look at the website?

Everybody knows its going to be a hybrid of Sailor moon, Hanasaku Iroha, AKB0048, and Macross(and basquash!, just because).

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Mar 13, 2014 3:40 PM

Oct 2012
hmmmm......looks dark. Not sure if I'll watch this one :/

Mar 13, 2014 4:53 PM
Jul 2012
Houndthree said:
Tyrel said:

The Code Geass movies are doing a better job that R2, they don't have illogical plot twists + the mecha scenes there are actually good. I talked about the second Macross F movie which is about 2 1/3 - 3 years old. (still pretty new imo) Someone who hasn't seen all the UC Gundam shows won't understand/enjoy Unicorn to 100%. The same goes for Build Fighters, there are some pretty cool references to other Gundam shows.

Cg movies are uninteresting milking that no one cares about due to bland characters, cg is all about lelouch and others doing eccentric things mixed with a bunch of other genres. It may not have the same tone than serious war dramas like gundam shows but that's not the point

As for the anime announced it has one of the best directors working on it, while mecha is a very different genre he still made some great stuff(kaleido star and tutu are masterpieces that aren't really "calming slice of life" so for that I guess that it would be the only show im watching next season besides jojo
Mar 13, 2014 4:53 PM
Mar 13, 2014 6:13 PM

Aug 2008
mitch3315 said:
Kurini said:
Okada Mari... :/ Not so sure, I'll wait for the trailers to decide.

It's funny, you say this like Okada Mari could be a factor that stops you watching this, yet after a quick look at your list, the lowest rated show she's been involved in you have is a 6, everything else is a 7 or higher. Are you just jumping on the "omg not her!!!" bandwagon?
My completed list is a tool to understand how I rate, but it's not a good representation of how I judge in my mind. (not that anyone care, but the real lowest score I would give to a TV series I have completed would be 5, but that still didn't happen) Mari okada is actually one of the few anime staffs I can remember the name, because she is one that makes me be beware of. I have some troubles to handle all the "angst" she is making me feel. I still can't accept the end of True tears, and didn't like 2 of the series I watched written by her. I tend to dislike love polygons, but it's not always what will stop me from watching something. In the case with nagi no asukara, I realized that most of the episodes that I like the best were not written by her but, oddly by the famous Yoshino hiroyuki. You can also say that I got a bit tired of her, I did like some series she wrote, but I feel like I'm not liking as much as I could if I watched it years before. And since I'm not able to watch as much series as I did, mari okada will be a factor I have to keep in mind when choosing what to watch.
Mar 13, 2014 9:30 PM
Dec 2010
So, why the heck is there such a huge amount of mecha series in Spring, at a time when interest in mecha is at its lowest?
Mar 13, 2014 9:45 PM
May 2012
xchee said:
Sato Junichi as director? This series is in good hands.

Same director from Kaleido Star & Phi Brain season 1. nuff said.
Mar 13, 2014 10:41 PM

Aug 2013
rederoin said:
Hahalollawl said:
DarknessOfEmo said:
Stark700 said:

Everybody knows its going to be a hybrid of Sailor moon, Hanasaku Iroha, AKB0048, and Macross(and basquash!, just because).

I'm also guessing the main character is interested in photography and the story will be set in Aqua.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 13, 2014 11:52 PM

Oct 2007
There's a lot of ignorant opinions about the mecha genre in this thread....just figured it was worth mentioning.

Hahalollawl said:
DarknessOfEmo said:
Stark700 said:

Actually the current speculation based on the teaser image and the fact that Kawamori and Sato worked on it is that it's based on this manga.

Houndthree said:
Tyrel said:

If there's one thing I've learned over the years there's almost no point in talking to people about Code Geass anymore let alone as it relates to mecha. There's just so many strong absolutist and IMO ridiculous opinions about the franchise about what it is, what it represents, why it's either the greatest thing ever or an abomination upon mankind and over time despite really liking it when it aired I've kind of come to resent it in a way cause it brought a lot of just....idiots I guess is the only way to put it, into the picture that like to now go around acting like they are experts about the mecha genre and know it all despite really clearly having no long term appreciation of it in any way shape or form. The sort of people that just only watch the most popular shows and then go on the internet and just act obnoxious about those shows one way or another. If the mecha genre, something I've been following for well over two decades of my life now with projects spanning over 5 decades of history felt any bigger or stronger for it I would have called it worth it, but all it has done is to be a large contributor to what I said above...the bit about ignorant opinions by people that think they know more than they do or that what they say is god given fact.
PeacingOutMar 14, 2014 12:06 AM
Mar 14, 2014 12:21 AM
Oct 2010
Stark700 said:
Mecha design:
http://i.imgur.com/WtmddnN.png

Hmm, why is there a wrench between its legs lmfao.

scytheavatar said:
So, why the heck is there such a huge amount of mecha series in Spring, at a time when interest in mecha is at its lowest?

It is? Well let me just say I'm pretty sure two mecha anime sold the most last year.
Mar 14, 2014 9:15 AM

Dec 2007
skudoops said:
Stark700 said:
Mecha design:
http://i.imgur.com/WtmddnN.png

Hmm, why is there a wrench between its legs lmfao.
most last year.

It looks like a mechanical P*n** to me. (Kawamori Shoji's latest masterpiece design?)
+
Satelight
+
Okada Mari
+
Satou Junichi

...Okay, what... I have no idea what will come out of this. But I'll surely try it since it doesn't look ordinary to say the least with this mix of Staff.
Mar 14, 2014 9:19 AM

Nov 2011
skudoops said:

It is? Well let me just say I'm pretty sure two mecha anime sold the most last year.

With not a single mecha anime above 10k in 2013, are you sure you're not confused?
rederoinMar 14, 2014 9:40 AM

Mar 14, 2014 10:40 AM

Oct 2007
rederoin said:
skudoops said:

With not a single mecha anime above 10k in 2013, are you sure you're not confused?

Pretty sure he's talking about Gundam Unicorn. Some people consider Yamato 2199 mecha too and it actually sold pretty well too. Code Geass Akito the Exiled also sold well above the 10K mark. The only series that did top all other anime released in terms of overall sales for a volume though was Gundam Unicorn.

The genre clearly isn't dying, it's not at it's peak, but it's not at it's nadir either, I don't know why people keep trying to argue that it's a dying or dead genre when it's clearly not at all the case. I think what it actually is is some people just aren't paying attention.
PeacingOutMar 14, 2014 10:46 AM
Mar 14, 2014 11:06 AM

Nov 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
rederoin said:
skudoops said:

Pretty sure he's talking about Gundam Unicorn. Some people consider Yamato 2199 mecha too and it actually sold pretty well too. Code Geass Akito the Exiled also sold well above the 10K mark. The only series that did top all other anime released in terms of overall sales for a volume though was Gundam Unicorn.

The genre clearly isn't dying, it's not at it's peak, but it's not at it's nadir either, I don't know why people keep trying to argue that it's a dying or dead genre when it's clearly not at all the case. I think what it actually is is some people just aren't paying attention.

Those aren't from 2013 though, if we are purely talking about series released in 2013, mecha series did not even get close to beating mongatari or SnK.

Not that you can compare movies or OVAs to tv series in the first place. Since if we go that way, NGE topped 2013, and Madoka will top 2014.

Mar 14, 2014 11:43 AM

Sep 2010
Mecha? I'm in!
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 14, 2014 12:20 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Dunois said:

Mechanical Designs: Shoji Kawamori

Will watch.

j0x said:
VioLink said:
j0x said:
mecha anime i will check it out

Stark700 said:
Another mecha series? Sign me up!

Yeah. This makes 11 mecha anime this year, not including already airing shows.

looks like the mecha genre is coming back!!! its the year of mecha!!!

Hell yeah!!!
Mar 14, 2014 2:01 PM

Oct 2007
rederoin said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
rederoin said:
skudoops said:

Those aren't from 2013 though, if we are purely talking about series released in 2013, mecha series did not even get close to beating mongatari or SnK.

Not that you can compare movies or OVAs to tv series in the first place. Since if we go that way, NGE topped 2013, and Madoka will top 2014.

NGE is a mecha franchise you realize right. Also just because a mecha series isn't the absolute best seller in a given year does not mean that the genre is no longer popular or whatever point it is your trying to make. Your logic and reasoning and overall goal is really not making a whole lot of sense here at all really.

Plus even if we were to be as soulless and nonsensical in our approach as possibly and argued that the best selling TV series genre dictates what is popular or whatever your point is there are other ways to determine popularity, like discussion, fan art and what not. My suggestion would be to pay attention a little more. Shows like Gundam BF, and even Buddy complex this season are generating a fair bit of buzz in Japan. There's new mecha shows coming out next season and beyond and a new announcement for the Gundam franchise is due out next week. Aniplex has some mad gambit to try to surpass Gundam with some new Urobuchi vehicle whatever their criteria for surpassing possibly the biggest, most profitable, most popular and long lasting franchise in all of anime is and there's several new Super Robot Wars games due out this summer. The genre is anything but unpopular or dying right now much as its starting to seem like some people almost wish that were the case for whatever reason.

Also just as an aside people really need to get over Madoka already. Yes it is popular, yes it is being copied to some degree, yes I understand that like a lot of popular series it has its very passionate fans but its not the be all end all of anime that is the answer to every discussion point or question. People need to stop putting it in that context cause its really getting kind of old and leading to a lot of really dumb tangents in discussions. Maybe its time some people went out and actually learned something about other shows, genres and fanbases, interests and mindsets instead of acting like everyone should just be beholden to one popular one and what its hardcore elements think is fact.
PeacingOutMar 14, 2014 2:16 PM
Mar 15, 2014 4:11 AM

Oct 2007
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I don't know why people keep trying to argue that it's a dying or dead genre when it's clearly not at all the case
Oh, I can see some improvement.
Mar 15, 2014 6:20 AM
Aug 2012
This year just gets better and better for Mecha fans. The style of the website got me interested and any new mecha shows is a must watch for me.

I just hope the quality of the "self proclaimed" elite anime fans improved a bit so they watch the shows with a open mind rather than complaining about the "Mecha genre" or making dumb assumptions like the genre is dying...........

Mar 15, 2014 7:18 AM
Oct 2010
rederoin said:
skudoops said:

Gundam Unicorn and EVA 3.0. Infact no series actually came close to these two.
Mar 15, 2014 7:56 AM

Sep 2013
skudoops said:
rederoin said:
skudoops said:

Yes, not to mention I'm pretty sure merch sales are huge for Mecha shows in Japan. There are loads of mecha collectors. Mecha shows like Gundam are real cash cows in that regard.
Mar 15, 2014 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
skudoops said:
rederoin said:
skudoops said:

Since you can't really compare the sales of tv shows to movies, and since this is a tv series.

Lets keep it related to tv shows, shall we?

Mar 15, 2014 9:51 AM

Dec 2007
No trailer, no opinion yet.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Mar 15, 2014 10:54 AM
May 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
There's a lot of ignorant opinions about the mecha genre in this thread....just figured it was worth mentioning.

Hahalollawl said:
DarknessOfEmo said:
Stark700 said:

Actually the current speculation based on the teaser image and the fact that Kawamori and Sato worked on it is that it's based on this manga.

As long as you acknowledge that until/unless something gets officially confirmed it is mere speculation (as you have) then I don't have an issue with it. What annoys me is when people act like they KNOW and/or can extrapolate what this is going to be about based off of so little information, like a few staff members...

On a different note, Spring is loaded with Mecha. It will be interesting to see if any (or many) of them, including M3, sell well. While I don't think we will be able to say with certainty whether the genre is alive or dead, it could be an interesting indication of the current state of the preferences of the disc buying fanbase.
Mar 15, 2014 11:46 AM
Mar 2010

Ugh, I seriously hope that is NOT the case. I just read the available chapters and it was bad. For it's first chapter, it was way too rushed and I didn't get attached to any characters.

Of course, the anime could be completely different but I still hope that the anime is not based on this manga...
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Mar 15, 2014 12:30 PM
May 2013
phoenixalia said:

Ugh, I seriously hope that is NOT the case. I just read the available chapters and it was bad. For it's first chapter, it was way too rushed and I didn't get attached to any characters.

Of course, the anime could be completely different but I still hope that the anime is not based on this manga...

Hmmmm, for some reason I thought it might be an original tv show. But maybe not, there's so little information...if it really is coming in a few weeks shouldn't they put out a PV like...now? Or maybe 2 or 3? lol.

By the way, since you took a look at it, was there any mention of M3 in the manga or anything that would suggest that the two are related? And is there even enough content for a full cour series?
Mar 15, 2014 12:37 PM
Oct 2010
rederoin said:

Lets keep it related to tv shows, shall we?

We are discussing the popularity of mecha, why would exclude the most popular mecha? :S
Mar 16, 2014 1:31 AM
Mar 2010
Hahalollawl said:

By the way, since you took a look at it, was there any mention of M3 in the manga or anything that would suggest that the two are related? And is there even enough content for a full cour series?

Only two chapters have been scanlated so far but it's only two volumes long according to baka updates.

And there's nothing calling M3 afaik. It's called a Metal Vessel or 'vess'. There's a a guy, this loli who likes him but who obviously won't end up with him and a big boobed girl who's obviously going to end up with the guy.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Mar 16, 2014 1:59 AM
May 2013
phoenixalia said:
Hahalollawl said:

Only two chapters have been scanlated so far but it's only two volumes long according to baka updates.

And there's nothing calling M3 afaik. It's called a Metal Vessel or 'vess'. There's a a guy, this loli who likes him but who obviously won't end up with him and a big boobed girl who's obviously going to end up with the guy.

Hmmm, do you think 2 volumes is enough for a full cour series? And do you happen to know if the manga was popular or not? If you don't know that's okay, but I figured I'd ask.

Based on your description I hope they're not too closely related...
Mar 16, 2014 5:24 AM
Mar 2010
Hahalollawl said:

Hmmm, do you think 2 volumes is enough for a full cour series? And do you happen to know if the manga was popular or not? If you don't know that's okay, but I figured I'd ask.

The first chapter was 45 pages long but the next two chapters were only 25 pages. I'm going to assume that the rest of the chapters are like that too. Definitely not enough. I'm afraid I don't know if it was popular.

Yeah, I hope not too. Because the way they introduced the world, the characters and what not were sub-par imo.
Mar 18, 2014 5:38 AM
May 2013
phoenixalia said:
Hahalollawl said:

The first chapter was 45 pages long but the next two chapters were only 25 pages. I'm going to assume that the rest of the chapters are like that too. Definitely not enough. I'm afraid I don't know if it was popular.

Yeah, I hope not too. Because the way they introduced the world, the characters and what not were sub-par imo.

YESS! Take a look at the characters, not the same as that manga right?

Well, well well, looks original to me. And Yoko Hikasa? YAY! Hmmmm and the Seiyuu who voiced Akane's hot friend in Psycho-Pass? Cool.

I'd like more information but for now, looks good. Actually good might be an understatement. Looks GREAT!

Also gaaah my knowledge of Japanese is insufficient to read that website. But those character designs look good. Excellent even. I like the eyes especially on a lot of the characters. Sort of keeps that serious/creepy atmosphere going. Is it safe to assume the cool looking dude in the middle is the main character? Is there any indication who is voicing him? 4 dudes and 4 girls huh? Could Mari Okada be going for a love Octagon??!? =X

This might be my most hyped anime of Spring. Mari Okada better not let me down! Btw, does Satelight putting this on their Anime Japan 2014 booth suggest they're hyping this one a lot?

Ohhh and May'n doing the OP? Nice. Actually, I guess the only disappointing new information I saw (or could read maybe lol) is the airing date...4/21? Why not earlier?

On a different note, I appreciate you updating this thread Dunois. This is the kind of information I'm concerned could get lost due to the thread closing policy...It may just seem like some more staff revealed, but it is important because it suggests that this is an original anime and not related to that manga Kawamori did before.
HahalollawlMar 18, 2014 6:15 AM
Mar 18, 2014 6:21 AM

May 2011
Lol 22 April that was kinda long?
Mar 18, 2014 8:00 AM

Nov 2007
Hahalollawl said:
On a different note, I appreciate you updating this thread Dunois.

Actually... I did. Any news mods. can edit that first post.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 18, 2014 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
The story introduction:
Mar 18, 2014 8:44 AM
May 2013
tsubasalover said:
Hahalollawl said:
On a different note, I appreciate you updating this thread Dunois.

Actually... I did. Any news mods. can edit that first post.

Oops, well then thank you =). And you can ignore my point about information getting lost, since I think you already agree with me that this kind of update is newsworthy enough to get posted in the news forum.

Ohh wow, that intro is dark. Excellent.
HahalollawlMar 18, 2014 8:48 AM
Mar 18, 2014 8:54 AM

Nov 2008
That story sounds like Shin Megami Tensei with mechs.

Mar 18, 2014 9:15 AM

Mar 2014
Mecha+ Satelight + Hikasa Yoko + May'n OP = <3

I'm in!
Mar 18, 2014 9:39 AM

Nov 2011
The OST will be done by this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6nv0iDrAis&feature=youtu.be

Mar 18, 2014 9:46 AM

Nov 2008
rederoin said:

That's nothing short of amazing.

Mar 18, 2014 9:50 AM

Nov 2011
Hoppy said:
rederoin said:

That's nothing short of amazing.

If the OST will be anything like that, I won't be surprised. It sounds like the kind of soundtrack Junichi Sato would work with.

Mar 18, 2014 10:29 AM
Mar 2010
Well, now that I've seen what it really is, I must say, I like those character designs. And, and, AND.....it's gender balanced. THANK YOU!

(I would enjoy so much more anime if they were gender balanced)

Some nice seiyuu there too. Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, Ayumu Murase, Tomoaki Maeno and Tetsuya Kakihara. And the male lead actually looks interesting.

But...why April 22nd?
Mar 18, 2014 12:53 PM

Aug 2011
phoenixalia said:
Well, now that I've seen what it really is, I must say, I like those character designs. And, and, AND.....it's gender balanced. THANK YOU!

Yeah it is! I'm pretty content about this fact it's not easy to find gender balanced anime :D

With the character designs and the revelation of the plot I can easily say that I'm pretty excited about this.
Mar 18, 2014 1:07 PM
May 2013
Laciie said:
phoenixalia said:

Yeah it is! I'm pretty content about this fact it's not easy to find gender balanced anime :D

With the character designs and the revelation of the plot I can easily say that I'm pretty excited about this.

You should be. :)

I know it's waaay early and Spring is stacked but this is looking like the anime of the season for me. I wonder how many episodes it will have...the start date is pretty late isn't it? Hmmmmm...
Mar 18, 2014 3:30 PM

Jul 2012
Holy shit. Is this the next Shinsekai Yori? Large mixed cast AND sci-fi setting.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 7 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
45 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

65 by Stardew »»
49 minutes ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
4 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.