Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 11, 2014 3:11 PM

Apr 2012
Seriously, it took them about 8 episodes to proove Menmas existence, and I knew by ep 2 how to do it. And they did it exactly how I thought it would work. I couldnt get into the story at all because the whole drama just felt so fake and stupid since it mostly centered around the fact that they couldnt proove menmas existence. Only after the whole group accepted her existance I actually could start to enjoy it a bit.

Was I the only one who was really bothered by it? Maybe its because I am more driven by my mind then my emotions, but do theese producers think we are dumb when they do something like that?
Mar 11, 2014 3:44 PM

Dec 2010
It's called plot
Mar 12, 2014 12:11 PM

Nov 2013
I'm only 5 episodes in but it's pretty clear Menma's existence is merely the catalyst. The point is to bring the group back together and to accept and overcome what happened in the past.

If you pulled out all of the supernatural stuff the story still remains the same. Dealing with the loss of a person and the rippling effects such an event can have on interpersonal relationships. Menma was more or less the lynch-pin for that group of children.
Mar 12, 2014 3:45 PM

Apr 2012
LawLLawL said:
I'm only 5 episodes in but it's pretty clear Menma's existence is merely the catalyst. The point is to bring the group back together and to accept and overcome what happened in the past.

If you pulled out all of the supernatural stuff the story still remains the same. Dealing with the loss of a person and the rippling effects such an event can have on interpersonal relationships. Menma was more or less the lynch-pin for that group of children.

I guess I am just more the brains person than the feelings person. I cant just ignore "plotholes" like that. Alltough its not really a plothole and just characters being extremely dumb. I was just wondering if I was the only one who got really apalled by this.
Mar 12, 2014 4:11 PM

Oct 2012
@baki502

I know what you mean, I thought the same thing, though for me it wasn't enough to lower my enjoyment level. I just stopped there for a while thinking they could have made it a bit smarter but oh well..

I've got a bad habit of clicking spoilers too fast, then regret it ..

"The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed."
Mar 12, 2014 4:20 PM

Nov 2013
You shouldn't put all the focus on the conclusion. A lot of the time there's a lot to be found in the journey on which the conclusion relies on for its effect.

As for the actual issue of proving her existence, do remember that Yadomi never actually wanted anyone else to know she was there. To him, she was his and because no one else could see her Yadomi didn't see a need to show or prove it. In fact he even tried to convince himself she was merely a figment of his imagination. Of course this leads to odd situations when he's reacting to her but other people don't know what to think, but when she's clearly able to affect others and her own surroundings Yadomi is pretty convinced it's not merely an illusion. But even then he's content to keep a lid on her existence.

The only reason they got to the point where they were to prove her existence wasn't even of Yadomi's willingness but Menma acting on her own to defuse things and re-knit the group.

When looking at stuff like Ano Hana, if you're looking at it outside of the context of the story it's easy to abstract a solution that disregards certain key points of the story itself. It's best to take it in with a bit of regard to the story when it comes to why things are the way they are. Of course if they were trying to prove her existence all along and Yadomi was in on it, then yes they're all retarded for not realizing she can write stuff (if only on some things, like her diary and the secret base).
Mar 23, 2014 7:26 PM
Dec 2013
Pknoctis said:
It's called plot

Yup, this is the truth.
Mar 26, 2014 1:06 AM

Jul 2013
You're never the only one to have an opinion to anything. It's pretty frustrating for me as well that fucking Jinta couldn't even use his mind if he ever has one to prove the existence of an specter who could move anything she fucking touches.
Mar 29, 2014 11:19 AM

Oct 2013
Pknoctis said:
It's called plot device

Fixed
Mar 29, 2014 11:29 AM

Dec 2012
LividDavid said:
Pknoctis said:
It's called lazy writing

Fixed

Double fixed.
Mar 30, 2014 5:47 PM
Feb 2013
baki502 said:
Seriously, it took them about 8 episodes to proove Menmas existence, and I knew by ep 2 how to do it. And they did it exactly how I thought it would work. I couldnt get into the story at all because the whole drama just felt so fake and stupid since it mostly centered around the fact that they couldnt proove menmas existence. Only after the whole group accepted her existance I actually could start to enjoy it a bit.

Was I the only one who was really bothered by it? Maybe its because I am more driven by my mind then my emotions, but do theese producers think we are dumb when they do something like that?

hmm, if you try to take it to your own life, i don't think you'd play make-believe that easy with your dead friend. it's like, i say, hey my dead friend is here beside me. would you say prove it? i don't think so, if you're one of the friends who died. i think you would say don't play with the dead, etc. and furthermore, Jinta doesn't really pushing them to know Menma there.
forholywarSep 23, 2016 6:15 PM

More topics from this board

» I'm watching this in 2024

bUriTtOTiTaN - Mar 26

30 by RegicakTiiy »»
Mar 29, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1235 by sarkardragon »»
Feb 21, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 5, 2011

387 by mylovetokoyami »»
Feb 16, 2:40 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

229 by nisensi »»
Feb 9, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

notnishiura - Apr 21, 2011

358 by Xeehad »»
Jan 17, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.