Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 29, 2009 6:30 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
dio_brando86 said:
He's dead:

The reason of death is written as:

外傷性脳出血
External injury + Cranial hemorrhage
in other words, Cranial hemorrhage due to external injuries. It looks like Tokyo Tower's fault...or Odaiba's...

It is also written that Yuuki died of respiratory failure caused by his condition...

R.I.P. Yuuki

Edit: I even dreamed yesterday night that I watched the next TM8.0 episode and showed that Yuuki died. It just shows how much this episode had an impact on me... I was depressed and shocked yesterday and wasn't able to enjoy anything....It has been bothering me for a whole day....
wakka9caAug 29, 2009 8:57 AM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 29, 2009 9:23 AM

Sep 2007
wakka9ca said:

Edit: I even dreamed yesterday night that I watched the next TM8.0 episode and showed that Yuuki died. It just shows how much this episode had an impact on me... I was depressed and shocked yesterday and wasn't able to enjoy anything....It has been bothering me for a whole day....

Same here, it's still depressing me even almost 24 hours later after I've watched it. I don't think I've ever seen such an emotional death.
Aug 29, 2009 9:27 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
JLS said:
wakka9ca said:

Same here, it's still depressing me even almost 24 hours later after I've watched it. I don't think I've ever seen such an emotional death.

I think it is the speed and suddenness of how it was executed that shocked. It somehow give you the impression that everything was going too fast. And it did a good job portraying the event from Mirai's point of view, so that the audience can feel similar emotions as Mirai.....I mean, he was jumping and laughing just moments ago...

And one of the main character, a 9 year-old boy, just died, like that. It wasn't a violent death, he was just...gone like that... Very few anime can kill off characters like this...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 29, 2009 11:07 AM

Jun 2009
Wow, so depressing episode. I really hope that he's alive... somehow ;_;
Aug 29, 2009 11:34 AM

Nov 2008
I think he is dead. And she'll realize it in the next episode.
Aug 29, 2009 11:35 AM

Jan 2008
He's in a 'better' place.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Aug 29, 2009 12:05 PM

Aug 2008
Felt like I was really being screwed with in this episode. I'm coming down on the side of Yuuki being dead.
Aug 29, 2009 1:48 PM

May 2008
I expect that Mari is in denial over her own daughter being dead much the same way Mirai is now, and that both of those scars will have to be addressed in the next episode or two.... some mutual healing. This would explain a lot of things that happened earlier.

I am a banana.
Aug 29, 2009 4:06 PM

Nov 2007
Really depressing episode, but very well done. Creating such an uneasiness within me is no mean feat. I look forward to the next episode very much, and if he against all odds would remain alive, I'd be thoroughly disappointed.
Aug 29, 2009 6:19 PM

Dec 2007
dio_brando86 said:
He's dead:

That image was taken from Mirai's first "dream", where she is in the corridor next to Yuuki's body on a stretcher.
i.e. It's not the one Mari recieved from the woman.

I'm not saying that he isn't dead (I didn't notice it at first, but after reading this thread I started to agree he's a goner) but we can't take this screenshot as conclusive.
Aug 29, 2009 6:29 PM

Jul 2008
LaAmaya said:
After I watched it I didn't even think about it, I was so sure he was alive, but now...

This. I never tough of that.
I don't know what to think anymore. Mari may be weird because they officially gave a report that her child and mother may be dead since the fire did get to the residential part of the city. She also may be weird because it is Mirai who's snapping. Yet Yuki had a place to sleep last night and he was playing with the kid, if he is truly dead then Mirai imagined everything.
I do hope he's dead, not because I hate him but because it would give something deep to the show.
Aug 29, 2009 6:49 PM

May 2008
It's not really a debate here.... it's clear he's dead but they make you look at the details to notice. I'm sure they'll be flashbacking to this episode in the upcoming ones when Mirai is forced to deal with it.

I listed all the clues they gave us:
saka said:
no recollection of hospital events + two dreams suggesting his death + plausible death certificate + message to parents + "legal stuff" + yuuki missing ball when kicking + mari called only for mirai when discovering them + transfer of backpack + yuuki not directly involved with anybody but mirai + mari getting suddenly depressed every time mirai says anything + yuuki not present in final shot

Here's the gif from 2chan of yuuki ghosting the ball, and none of the kids look at him... he then conveniently gets separated and only Mirai interacts with him... he's imagined, people.

Plus, what other than a death would explain the "legal stuff" Mari was waiting for at the hospital? An updated health record... I doubt it.

Plus she was awfully sad when calling their parents... you'd think she would have tried to make light of it if nothing was wrong.

Even if you don't think the transfer of the backpack is symbolic, they confirmed at the end (for those still suspecting) that he was gone. No matter how good you used to be at those Where's Waldo? books, you're not going to find Yuuki anywhere in the closing shot...

maybe he ran on ahead...? ...that's just more symbolism that he died.

I am a banana.
Aug 29, 2009 6:56 PM

May 2008
there's no doubt he's dead.... I didn't want to believe it but it's the only plausible explanation.

spectacular work.
Aug 29, 2009 7:05 PM

Sep 2008
Found him
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 29, 2009 7:07 PM

Jul 2008
Shit Saka just destroyed my hope that he's alive :(.
Well that's good for the show, that's bad for us ._.
Aug 29, 2009 7:15 PM

May 2008
HawthorneKitty said:
Found him

rofl

Tenori said:
there's no doubt he's dead.... I didn't want to believe it but it's the only plausible explanation.

spectacular work.

well, I had to have it pointed out to me, too... *blames windy*

I am a banana.
Aug 29, 2009 7:35 PM

Jan 2009
JLS said:
wakka9ca said:

I'm really glad I'm not the only person that was depressed by this episode. Made me think that the creators of this anime are geniuses though, and I'll raise my score... but it's so depressing because it's so realistic... Reminded me of how I heard my dog coughing and barking long after she died. :( Those hallucinations can seem real in a creepy way. I've seen much more emotional deaths in anime than this one.. but what gets me is the realistic nature of it. :/
Aug 29, 2009 7:55 PM

May 2008
It does rather feel like Yuuki's dead. After seeing an empty sleeping bag and Yuuki's backpack, the only thing Mari said was "Mirai!", instead of the usual "Mirai! Yuuki!" combo. Add that to every other strange detail and the possibility that Mirai is experiencing PTSD or something starts looking quite feasible.
Aug 29, 2009 9:39 PM

Oct 2007
Tenori said:

spectacular work.
Aug 29, 2009 10:54 PM

Jan 2008
Wow...

This episode blew me away. What a mindfuck, yet I have to commend them for doing this so spectacularly.

The first scene with Yuuki dead on the cart was so eerie. I'm not the type to get scared easily, but that whole scene really had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. The flashing green light, the pallid colours, the solitude, and the other corpse lingering in the background...everything was just so surreal and frightening.

The second sequence with the waiting room felt more substantial. I remember thinking "Okay, well that was a messed up dream, but I guess this is where things really stand." It felt a little more natural, and I started to settle back down again. Then the doctor came out, and everything got all screwed up again. The sudden silence while he was talking, Yuuki's table suddenly looming up, and Mirai having the breakdown...

Then we're shifted to yet another scene. It felt so bizarre and fake. The odd happniess and carefree atmosphere...(did anyone else notice this scene had a lot of fog? The mist everywhere sort of gave me the impression of the afterlife). By this time I was having definite suspicions, and with the thought of Yuuki's possible death already in my mind at that point, I had no troubles spotting the clues from then on. I felt like I was watching the Sixth Sense again, looking closely for all those little signs that he wasn't really there.

Shit, this episode was amazing. It's eerie and depressing, but damn if it wasn't done well. The jolted pace really added to the overall mood. You felt yourself being tugged along uncomfortably, it really gave a great perspective to what Mirai must have went through. I believe the first two scenes actually happened, and Mirai's mind just had a total fucking breakdown and tried to suppress everything.

God, I can't wait for the next episode.
Aug 30, 2009 1:23 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
oh wow. i didn't even doubt that he wasn't dead at the end. thanks for cluing me in everyone!
p r o f i l e 👀
Aug 30, 2009 1:43 AM

Apr 2008
HawthorneKitty said:
Found him

lmao.

I don't intend to sound mean, but it baffles me when I read that a lot of people didn't think he was dead before coming to the forum. I thought it was kinda obvious.
Aug 30, 2009 8:20 AM
Aug 2009
Also when Marai woke up after the hospital scene in the sleeping bag there was only one sleeping bag next to her. If yuuki was alive i would assume there would be 2 besides hers
Aug 30, 2009 8:23 AM
Aug 2009
also when marai mentioned to yuuki her dream, he laughed and didnt comment on it. he went on about how she talks in her dreams
Aug 30, 2009 8:27 AM

Aug 2007
I thought the last part was too happy for some reason and after reading this, I know why. I think this episode was nice, though. The disturbing beginning was pretty realistic. I won't be surprised if Mirai ends up living with Mari for some reason.

Also, if I'm not mistaken: there was this scene when Mirai and Mari sat at a bench with the crowd of people around them. When they looked at a cart and a nurse asked that they needed to check that person up because he had no pulse, the doctor immediately putted some 'dead' sign on him and I think that also could have been Yuuki.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Aug 30, 2009 10:20 AM

May 2009
Mirai's optimistic attitude on the second half is another hint of Yuuki's death I think, I mean her character is way too different than in the previous episodes, even if she evolved quite a bit.

Bones left me in despair here, it's amazing how they pulled it off, wonderful writing.
Aug 30, 2009 11:31 AM

Dec 2007
Grimmm said:

I don't intend to sound mean, but it baffles me when I read that a lot of people didn't think he was dead before coming to the forum. I thought it was kinda obvious.

Same here actually.
Very well directed and somewhat trippy episode ,the scene with the doctor was intense.
Next week's development will be interesting to see. I'd love to get to see the episoder partially retold from Maria's perspective or something.

Assuming that he is dead, I wonder what the cause is. As someone said, the death certificate is from the first dream sequence so what was written on it probably doesn't apply to his condition. Although it would be quite the twist if he'd gotten the injury while saving Mirai at Tokyo Tower.
yakisobapanAug 30, 2009 11:38 AM
Aug 30, 2009 3:23 PM

Jan 2009
Boring and predicted. Anyway, a dream on a dream over a dream, at this rate they will never get home if they keep dumbing around the city, they're just making the plot longer. At some point I thought Mari would scream FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUU for some reason, and meh, Mirai is such an angel now, oh gawd BONES development.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Aug 30, 2009 8:02 PM
Oct 2007
T_T
Aug 30, 2009 8:18 PM

Sep 2008
i would had felt bad like for 3 mins and then i would have thougth that this was a suberb traggedy if yuuki would have died
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Aug 30, 2009 8:40 PM

Dec 2007
did they fucking troll me twice in this episode?.....................

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Aug 30, 2009 9:05 PM

Jul 2008
Good job guys. I thought of that too, but I sort of dropped the theory for a while. The part that really hit home was the holding of the bag. The reason she is "holding the bag" is because he's dead and since he can't carry it, she is. It's a form of hallucination I suppose. There's a part of me that thinks he's alive though.

I just want this to be licensed already so I can get it on DVD!

I think Mari's family is dead. It would explain why she is pandering around and she's taking her time to get there.
Aug 30, 2009 10:23 PM

Dec 2008
hmm...I thought something was strange...and with all the dreams it makes it hard to tell what is real and what is not. I'm going to re-watch the episode now to see for myself.

(This is the same as other people's opinions)
EDIT: I skimmed through the second half of the episode. It is very possible that Yuki died. Also there was talk of legal papers...could be legal papers regarding Yuki. As others have said...Yuki is nowhere to be found in the last scene. I think this is a very interesting development if this is true....but sad.
HikaruKanekoAug 30, 2009 10:59 PM
Aug 30, 2009 10:44 PM

May 2008
read my post on the previous page:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=110078&show=60#msg4494080

I am a banana.
Aug 30, 2009 10:58 PM

Dec 2008
Yeah I had already read it...just giving my thoughts even if it is a restatement. But I guess I will clarify that on my post.
Aug 30, 2009 11:34 PM

May 2008
there's really no doubt in my mind... otherwise the episode serves no purpose at all beyond maybe Mari learning a bit about the fire... there's just too much evidence that he's actually dead. If he were not dead, then Mari's actions don't make any sense at all... and the dream sequences were just to randomly mindfuck us... possible I guess, but gimme a break.

the writers did a very good job at playing with incongruity to put this ep together while maintaining that "is he really dead?" discomfort. It's only in the last shot when it's made completely obvious. I thought it was great when I finally noticed. This ep is worth a rewatch, just to notice all the details that allow for his ghost to make it to the end of the episode (like Mari only calling one name, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalization_%28psychology%29

I am a banana.
Aug 31, 2009 12:27 AM

Jun 2009
It was pretty obvious that Yuuki died, from the tone from the beginning of the episodes, to Yuuki's character, to the blatant foreshadowing last episode, to all the clues this episode. I expected Yuuki to die for a while now (because he's a good kid), but I'm glad they did it at this point closer to the end.

I don't really see the writer's talents in trying to confuse us, because it wasn't really confusing that he died, and I don't think the writers meant to make us debate whether or not he actually died (if they actually did, they need to do a better job in creating suspense and not mourning). The hints were just meant to show how Mirai and Mari were handling his death.

Good episode (that said, I cannot imagine how this series could salvage itself if Yuuki is not actually dead).
Aug 31, 2009 1:44 AM

Jun 2009
I thought it was a strange episode when I first watched it. Then after reading the forums, I re-watched it and paid closer attention to the details.

I too must agree that Yuuki is dead for all the reasons everyone have listed already. The bag carrying, the two sleeping bags and the ending sequence make it pretty clear. It's sad but I applaud the creators for going this route.
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
Aug 31, 2009 3:37 PM

May 2009
Stop trolling us Yuuki. ;_;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2009 4:13 PM

Jan 2008
What a confusing episode, but with all these hints I'd have to agree with you guys. Really nice way to kill off a main character.
Aug 31, 2009 5:14 PM
Sep 2007
I got fooled as well, it didn't occur to me that Yuuki was actually dead. But then as mentioned before, somethings didn't flow well. I admit, I wasn't really thinking it through as it watched this episode.

My first guess was Mirai was trying to get into contact with her family, but the way she left her name was too formal for her own family.

Most of the children that Yuuki was playing with, if not all, were foreigners. (There was someone speaking in English while Mari was making the phone call ["I want to go home, I'm injured."], but nothing visual suggesting that there were foreigners at that area or guardians for those children. Whether or not their from an orphanage is possible, but may not be likely.)

When Mari returned to the area where Mirai was sleeping, one of the mattresses was missing. I'm guessing they both shared that spot, someone took the mat, or Mirai imagined Yuuki was sleeping there.

Mari only called for Mirai.

Then Mari normally wouldn't allow Yuuki to run that far ahead, she'd hold both their hands while going into a crowded area.

Really sad episode, I'll miss Yuuki for remaining optimistic and lovable. I didn't find him annoying that often at all.
SaraiiAug 31, 2009 5:23 PM
Aug 31, 2009 6:40 PM

May 2008
Puni said:

This. xDDD

I don't want Yuuki dying, but I guess it would make the story seem more realistic if he does. And I guess the episode wouldn't even play out like the way it did if he wasn't dead. :\
Sep 1, 2009 7:27 PM

Jul 2008
Puni said:

Hopefully he's just dead now. I'll admit it, at this point I want Yuuki to die.
Sep 1, 2009 7:44 PM

May 2008

I am a banana.
Sep 2, 2009 6:18 AM

Jan 2009
This is weird. When i tought that yuuki is dead, he actually still alive and now when he appears live, i tought that he was acually already dead.

Look, even Mari and it's some legal certificate is weird ? my prediction is he's already dead and yuuki now it's only mirai's delusion.

Oh yeah, this afternoon i feel a pretty srong earthquake in a shopping mall and somehow, i get this feeling remembering this anime. How weird lol
Sep 3, 2009 3:35 PM

Jan 2009
Gah, I really hate it when any kind of show anime or other screws with your head with dreams.
Sep 4, 2009 7:32 AM

Apr 2008
wow.. i have seriously been tricked with this episode o.0 maybe i need to watch it again D:
but what could yuuki have caught that caused his death? the main reason i didnt believe he died was because he seemed fine before .. D: !!
Sep 6, 2009 6:58 AM

Feb 2008
Should have seen that double "dream" sequence as the first sign that Yuuki was dead but those pictures shown at the ED kinda keep my up my hopes for the usual "happy ending' setting and i was just too lazy to notice them.

As if the 2 beds for 3 people hint and Mirai sudden change in carrying Yuki's bag wasn't clue enough for me..
Sep 6, 2009 3:33 PM

Jul 2009
yakusoku said:
wow.. i have seriously been tricked with this episode o.0 maybe i need to watch it again D:
but what could yuuki have caught that caused his death? the main reason i didnt believe he died was because he seemed fine before .. D: !!

My guess is that it might have had something to do with the Tokyo Tower. If the death certificate said head trauma or something, he may have had a concussion that gradually got worst.

I wonder though if it was really a double dream sequence and not Mirari mixing events up.
Sep 9, 2009 3:14 PM

Aug 2008
Whether Yuuki is alive or not will probably be the deciding factor for me in how good this show is/was. Dead is the preferred outcome for me and the backpack seemed to confirm it.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Sporkness - Sep 10, 2009

214 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UnknownFact - Sep 4, 2009

134 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

porkypink - Aug 21, 2009

112 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 8:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.