Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2009 4:51 AM

Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Loved this episode...
The begin and the end...
Rah... :'(
Aug 25, 2009 6:51 AM

Jun 2009
Great episode. I wish the battle was a bit longer, they just killed a few enemies then Taliesin...

Noooooooo! Taliesin!!!
ZinvyAug 25, 2009 7:21 AM
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 25, 2009 8:19 AM

May 2009
Taliesin :'(
Aug 25, 2009 9:37 AM

Jan 2009
Hmm.. well, I've always been slightly curious as to who that girl in the opening is : p Guess we got ourselves quite a good answer for that now : D

Ahahah that was a small army, k hax xD
Btw I kind of like Morgan's successive attack rate, she's actually quite fast : o

And Taliesin feels like singing, then he dies, and everyone goes baaaaaaaaaaaaaw..
Oh well, he didn't really do any good anyway, so this way at least he could be a bit useful : )

Next time, it seems we'll get to see an epic sword, kthnx sounds cool
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 25, 2009 11:42 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
That was fast....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 25, 2009 11:57 AM

May 2009
No, Taliesin.. Well, at least they won the fight.
Aug 26, 2009 5:16 PM
Feb 2009
noo he cant be dead :(
Aug 27, 2009 10:06 AM

Apr 2009
:(
Oh man Epona singing at the end was really sad, I felt so sorry for her.

Aug 28, 2009 1:12 AM

Apr 2008
o-olll he died ?

Aug 28, 2009 2:19 PM

Aug 2008
I like the content but the pacing kinda sucks
Aug 28, 2009 3:46 PM

May 2007
I liked this episode. Finally we know why and how arawn became like he is. Taliesin singing the song of origin was surprising. Im looking forward to episode 22
Aug 28, 2009 7:17 PM

Jul 2008
Kvakond said:
I like the content but the pacing kinda sucks

Yeah, they should have taken another episode for Arawn's past and another one for the fight, the song of origin part was rushed.
Aug 28, 2009 11:19 PM

Jun 2007
This episode felt like we where missing something important...almost like there was supposed to be an episode explaining Taliesin's past but they forgot to add it or something lol. I mean...he has the ability to use the song of origin? It would have been nice if they didn't randomly start having people use powers without explaining why they have them. Other than that I have no other gripes about this episode.
Aug 29, 2009 1:13 AM

Dec 2008
DeathfireD said:
This episode felt like we where missing something important...almost like there was supposed to be an episode explaining Taliesin's past but they forgot to add it or something lol. I mean...he has the ability to use the song of origin? It would have been nice if they didn't randomly start having people use powers without explaining why they have them. Other than that I have no other gripes about this episode.

Gah! yes yes you're right!
and I thought I missed something along the way x.x
The ep is still great though XD ahh I really like how they show the 'transformation' of Arawn (^__^)b great!
Aug 29, 2009 3:07 AM

Apr 2008
ureshii_xD said:
DeathfireD said:
This

Gah! yes yes you're right!
and I thought I missed something along the way x.x
The ep is still great though XD ahh I really like how they show the 'transformation' of Arawn (^__^)b great!
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
Aug 29, 2009 4:58 AM

Mar 2008
Maybe Taliesin don't died.
That small dragon can save him....
Aug 29, 2009 7:47 AM

Jan 2009
youtoome said:
Maybe Taliesin don't died.
That small dragon can save him....

Of course he died, deal with it. He deserved it, for being useless.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Sep 4, 2009 2:21 AM
Jan 2009
Oosran said:
Of course he died, deal with it. He deserved it, for being useless.

He was the freaking most powerful character in the game, and one of the main reason of Artur's growth in the story, due to both their confrontations.
Overall far form useless :P

This episode felt like we where missing something important...almost like there was supposed to be an episode explaining Taliesin's past but they forgot to add it or something lol.

Agreed, this whole arc was in dire need of at least another episodes, a slower pacing and Taliesin reactions and personal thoughts during Lucifer's story.

I mean...he has the ability to use the song of origin? It would have been nice if they didn't randomly start having people use powers without explaining why they have them. Other than that I have no other gripes about this episode.

Well, since he is a bard he always had the ability to use "magical songs", though never shown in the anime it was his stample as a character in the game.
I suppose the direction thinked that the "bard in a fantasy world = capable of music magic" assumption was a given for the audience.

Everything else is not random at all: of course he needs to know the song first, but since Taliesin just had a peek of Lucifer's/Arawn's memories and that included how Myrdinn singed the song of creation (he even mention that to Arawn before starting his song) by the end of "Lucifer" narration he just learned how to reshape the world with a bit of music.

Of course the abuse of what wasn't meant to be used by an human was his sin against the gods mentioned in the prophecy.
Dark_KainSep 4, 2009 8:12 AM
Sep 4, 2009 9:24 AM
Dec 2007
Good episode, with some small developments. It felt a bit rushed though, and direction could have been much better.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 4, 2009 3:57 PM

Jun 2008
This was probably the best episode until now. Yes the fight in the mountains was rushed(i really wanted to see them meeting the giants and convincing them to help) and ended in no time but still good.

I was very impressed on how they made the story of Lucifer/Arawn fit the story of Lucifer/Devil that felt from grace with God. Off course in this story they reversed the part of who the good guy really is. I guess many fanatic Christians and Jews will get pissed of watching Tears of Tiara.
But it also fits with him being consider to be a devil king and fits with the name Arawn that according to Welsh mythology he was the king of the otherworld and friend of Pwyll.

And as i set if we put all the other things that they used:
12 Spirits-12 Gods of Olympus
Myrdin- Greek mythology Prometheus who gave fire to humans by betraying the 12 Gods. Also the name Myrrdin was the name of a Welsh bard that had legends of being a sorcerer and is believed to be the origin of Merlin myths.
Arthur-Well is obvious. Destined to be the king. And from the preview in the next episode we will have the legendary sword and all.
Other things like orges, giants, dragons, fairies. Old legends,LotR, D&D staff.
The whole Gaius and Caesar similarity in name and ambition also being part of an Empire with old men in the senate that he didn't like, something that was true about the real Julius Caesar. Only the ala Guts in Berserk fighting style was different.
And the Roman name Octavia. After Julius Caesar it was his nephew Octavius that became the first emperor and one of the most successful.

They really took things from everywhere but they generally managed to make a nice mix.
MonadJan 22, 2010 11:48 AM
Sep 5, 2009 12:31 AM
Jan 2009
And the Roman name Octavia. After Julius Caesar it was his nephew Octavius that became the first emperor and one of the most successful.

Actually this is more a coincidence and lack of originality in the "pseudo romans" character names.

"Octavia" means literally "eight daughter" just like Octavius means "eight son"
If you noticed Gaius aide was also named Decimus (lit "tenth son")
Those were usual names in the partician families of the ancient Rome; they were used for those late children that were unlikely becoming the family heir and were usually imposed to seek personal fortune in military or with a marriage (and so named with the number of their birth to remind them that)

The whole Gaius and Caesar similarity in name and ambition also being part of an Emire with old men in the senate that he didn't like something that was true about the real Julius Caesar. Only the ala Guts in Berserk fighting style was different.

This actually is due to a Geoffrey of Monmouth reference.
Gaius' weapon in Tears to Tiara is supposed to be Crocea Mors (he even drops it in the game)
Dark_KainSep 5, 2009 12:49 AM
Sep 5, 2009 2:22 AM

Jun 2008
Dark_Kain said:

Actually this is more a coincidence and lack of originality in the "pseudo romans" character names.

"Octavia" means literally "eight daughter" just like Octavius means "eight son"
If you noticed Gaius aide was also named Decimus (lit "tenth son")
Those were usual names in the partician families of the ancient Rome; they were used for those late children that were unlikely becoming the family heir and were usually imposed to seek personal fortune in military or with a marriage (and so named with the number of their birth to remind them that)

Yeah i know it means "eight" because it sounds like the Greek number eight that is called "Octo", but still they could have given her any other name. Good info though.

Dark_Kain said:
The whole Gaius and Caesar similarity in name and ambition also being part of an Empire with old men in the senate that he didn't like, something that was true about the real Julius Caesar. Only the ala Guts in Berserk fighting style was different.

This actually is due to a Geoffrey of Monmouth reference.
Gaius' weapon in Tears to Tiara is supposed to be Crocea Mors (he even drops it in the game)

So he actually says the name of his sword is the same as Jealous Caesars as described by Geoffrey Monmouth? But then why did they made it look so different. Wasn't that a gold sword?
If that's the case and the sword is called "Crocea Mors" then it's even more interesting since the legend of Excalibur seems to come from that sword after King Vortigern put it in to a rock of iron and placed it in to the center of the London square.
MonadSep 5, 2009 2:31 AM
Sep 5, 2009 3:37 AM
Jan 2009
So he actually says the name of his sword is the same as Jealous Caesars as described by Geoffrey Monmouth? But then why did they made it look so different. Wasn't that a gold sword?

Either the direction of the anime didn't know perfectly Geoffrey's depiction of the sword or they went on with the Middle Welsh adaptation (where it is called Agheu Glas --> Grey Death).
After all Tears to Tiara present a Britain-centric (non historical) depiction of the Roman's Britain campaign, somewhat more like the "King Arthur defeats the Roman Empire" version of the Athrurian miths.
Sep 6, 2009 3:21 PM

Sep 2008
DeathfireD said:

he can sing it because he heard it in the vision...nothing else behind it. Everyone can sing it if they know it. It simply is not as powerful as when an angel sings it

Spoiler considering "possible" cut out content
MephzSep 6, 2009 3:26 PM
Sep 7, 2009 12:21 AM
Jan 2009
Mephz said:

That vision wasn't during Lucifer's flashback.
It was just after
Sep 7, 2009 4:22 AM

Sep 2008
ah that's how it was...been some time since I played the game
Sep 17, 2009 1:00 AM

Jul 2008
that was a lot of corpses they had collected, too bad taleisin kicked ass and destroyed them all. too bad he lost his life in the process (* sniff =( *)
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Sep 18, 2009 11:04 PM

Nov 2007
T_T
Sep 23, 2009 6:35 PM
May 2008
Meh episode, not much too it besides the ambiguous flashback and Taleisin's death.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Oct 1, 2009 5:15 PM

Apr 2008
I loved this episode! It was so sweet and so sad.
Oct 3, 2009 2:39 PM

Nov 2008
Poor Spoony Bard ;_; Poor Faerieseller ;____;
kariohkiOct 3, 2009 3:04 PM
Nov 20, 2009 9:58 PM

Oct 2008

Lucifer..

Feb 8, 2012 5:55 PM

Jul 2010
it was a nice episode.

Feb 1, 2014 10:53 PM

Jul 2008
This is why you don't make too much noise in the snow...the mountain doesn't like that.

That just seemed way too convenient for a sacrifice, but it was sad.
Sep 30, 2014 9:36 PM

Jan 2011
Not having seen the actual abilities of Arawn's companions in combat it does seem a little surprising when they trot them out during the short clips. In game play Taliesin is used as a second archer (after Morgan) and usually follows up the initial attack by singing a continual buff/debuff song. He's around for what seems a lot longer in the game and seems more of an important character there, so you feel his sacrifice a bit more. Again because of harem nerfing, they indicate a possible relationship between Epona and Taliesin which doesn't happen in the game. In a milieu where one of the main themes is that rather than trying to burn away all impurities and sitting in a circle with blank eyes mindlessly repeating the praises of the church and omnipotent god, humans should be free to live their own lives and embrace all aspects of their being, it seems a little silly to nerf the harem and avoid sex. (Just the Pagan talking here folks, nothing to see...move along...)
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tears to Tiara Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

japanme32 - Apr 13, 2009

81 by wildhood »»
Mar 2, 9:13 AM

Poll: » Tears to Tiara Episode 25 Discussion

daniking79 - Sep 21, 2009

31 by yveltalkyogre »»
May 7, 2023 1:02 PM

Poll: » Tears to Tiara Episode 5 Discussion

MrTerrorist - May 3, 2009

41 by yveltalkyogre »»
May 7, 2023 11:06 AM

Poll: » Tears to Tiara Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Evilincarnate - Sep 27, 2009

67 by Inexplicable »»
Sep 25, 2022 12:37 PM

Poll: » Tears to Tiara Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MrTerrorist - Jul 14, 2009

55 by Sugram22 »»
May 7, 2021 6:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.