Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2012 8:57 PM

Jan 2012
I'm just glad it is over. There were just way too many things that were bothering me... The animation, the continuity issues, the underdevelopment of characters, and the lack of Unity and shallowness of the different plotlines were all things that bothered me. Did anyone notice that the OST sounds like a rip off of the Inuyasha OST? I realize its not, but really, it sound too alike to me. Just I can get through some really lack luster anime if it excels in any area, plot or animation or comedy or characters, etc., but this just didn't really have anything great going on. I think I will stop at that. I don't know about you, but I didn't really care when any of the characters died, which is a very bad sign for an anime I am watching.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2013 8:42 PM
Jul 2012
I suppose I liked the ending of this anime but I was really hoping for a Kirara and Katsushiro ending. When it showed Katsushiro going off to be a samurai I was really hoping for a post credit scene where after Katsushiro had been gone for a long time fighting he finally comes back to the village and ends up with Kirara, I don't know if that sounds like a silly ending but it would have really made me love the ending to this show.

I also didn't like Kikuchiyo dying. When he made that promise to Komachi I was really rooting for him in the last episode, I was really sad when it showed his shoes and Komachi crying.

They did at least put one thing I really wanted into the ending, Rikichi and Sanae. Ever since Rikichi admitted why he hated the bandits so much he tried his best to fight to get his wife back and in the end they are finally together again.
Jan 31, 2013 8:21 PM

Jan 2013
It was a good anime, the fighting, the soundtrack ... all OK!

Like the most of you already mentioned, the lovestory was kinda bad .... in the original movie the young samurai stays with the girl in the village, goddamnit Katsushirooooooooooooooo!!!!
Feb 4, 2013 6:16 PM

Feb 2011
Poor Kiku. I was not expecting him to die, and all that was left were his shoes. It added a disturbing quality to his noble sacrifice.

Was happy that Momotaro survived to go back to Yukino.

Natsu12345 said:
7Deuce86 said:
Biggest question mark was with Kirara. Kambei can't reciprocate her feelings, and Katsushiro is off being a samurai, so she just becomes a simple farm girl?

I would love it if Kirara falls for Katsushiro.

Yeah, I'm still not sure what Kirara's feelings are. In that last scene between the two of them, Katsu basically said he went into battle because he loved her, but couldn't become a true warrior until he pushed aside that same love. Her tears were either in response to knowing she couldn't have him anymore (meaning she does have feelings for him), or it was just a further expression of her guilt for what she indirectly did to him.

Personally, I like the first interpretation, because I was really rooting for the two of them as a couple from the very start. It's why I wanted to strangle her for her reaction to Katsu kissing her and why I almost laughed when Kambei rejected her right before the battle.

I would have liked to see a little afterward scene, maybe showing Momotaro returning to the Firefly Inn, Katsushiro or Kambei's travels, or even Katsu coming back to the village to satiate my Katsu x Kirara pairing.

Overall, pretty good series.
NikokoFeb 4, 2013 6:23 PM
Feb 10, 2013 3:21 AM
Jun 2009
just wish kiku hadnt bought it. saw that only 3 survive and when it was down to the last 4, i kept hoping it was kambei goin out like a boss. sad that katsu didnt get the girl, but he grew so much in the series that i feel like he made out ok. he was a total badass by the end of it; on par with the others. and the speech he gave at the end conveyed a wisdom that reminded me of kambei.

i give the series an 8. definitely a good series, will probably watch again, but it's not without its shortcomings.
Feb 13, 2013 10:25 PM
Sep 2009
Trepefan said:
in the original movie the young samurai stays with the girl in the village, goddamnit Katsushirooooooooooooooo!!!!

Wait, I don't remember this in the original movie.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jul 31, 2013 1:26 PM
Oct 2012
Great anime, the only drawback is that Katsushiro survived...
Aug 1, 2013 7:33 PM

Jun 2009
judojon said:
Trepefan said:
in the original movie the young samurai stays with the girl in the village, goddamnit Katsushirooooooooooooooo!!!!

Wait, I don't remember this in the original movie.

Yeah, I don't remember this either. I believe he either left with the other two or went alone, but I'm pretty sure he didn't stay.

Anyway, this was a slightly above average anime. I think what really hurt it is that it was a very subpar adaptation of a classic movie, to the point that the series actually got a bit better when it started straying on it's own after Gorobe's death. Still, nothing profound or particularly engrossing. Just a series to pass the time.

Well, at least the ending is as good as the original movie's.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 3, 2013 7:37 AM

Jun 2011
zzz1989 said:
TRUE that!!!

the anime had a great story line and action scene.

But it was a very sad love story ending.

I really hoped that Kirara end up with Katsushiro. that would have made it in my top list :(

They should have made 2 versions of the ending

Bolded: True, it would make it to the top of my list if they ended up together, especially when I am a huge fan of samurai theme.

ohhey said:
I suppose I liked the ending of this anime but I was really hoping for a Kirara and Katsushiro ending. When it showed Katsushiro going off to be a samurai I was really hoping for a post credit scene where after Katsushiro had been gone for a long time fighting he finally comes back to the village and ends up with Kirara, I don't know if that sounds like a silly ending but it would have really made me love the ending to this show.

True!! Me too!!

Nikoko said:
Poor Kiku. I was not expecting him to die, and all that was left were his shoes. It added a disturbing quality to his noble sacrifice.

Was happy that Momotaro survived to go back to Yukino.

Natsu12345 said:
7Deuce86 said:
Biggest question mark was with Kirara. Kambei can't reciprocate her feelings, and Katsushiro is off being a samurai, so she just becomes a simple farm girl?

I would love it if Kirara falls for Katsushiro.

Yeah, I'm still not sure what Kirara's feelings are. In that last scene between the two of them, Katsu basically said he went into battle because he loved her, but couldn't become a true warrior until he pushed aside that same love. Her tears were either in response to knowing she couldn't have him anymore (meaning she does have feelings for him), or it was just a further expression of her guilt for what she indirectly did to him.

Personally, I like the first interpretation, because I was really rooting for the two of them as a couple from the very start. It's why I wanted to strangle her for her reaction to Katsu kissing her and why I almost laughed when Kambei rejected her right before the battle.

I would have liked to see a little afterward scene, maybe showing Momotaro returning to the Firefly Inn, Katsushiro or Kambei's travels, or even Katsu coming back to the village to satiate my Katsu x Kirara pairing.

Overall, pretty good series.

While I'd like to believe it's the former, what I saw and what I understood was the latter. It was her feeling of guilt or something that made her teared up, sadly!
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 17, 2013 2:12 PM
Jan 2011
I know this anime is based off of Seven Samurai, but I kinda wished all the samurai died. Don't get me wrong, I liked every character, but I think it would have been cool if they all died in a flashy way during the final battle.
Sep 24, 2013 1:28 PM

Sep 2013
i liked the anime
badass fighting
a bit of love story
and some comady

what i didnt liked that the end didnt had so much info about what is going to be
what happens with kambe and shiruji,how kamachi doing as a water priest,what kirara will do now

but overall a good anime

8.5/10
i got no gif for my signature..... imagine some cool swords clashing and light and fighting everywhere!
Nov 3, 2013 8:13 PM

Nov 2011
Honestly, I wish I could like this series more but the whole mixture of a historical setting and mecha at the same time killed it for me along with a few of the characters. Kirara also pissed me off quite a bit..*sigh* for her decisions.

Overall, 5/10. The OST is brilliant though.
Feb 1, 2015 1:42 PM

Jun 2014
6/10
I lowered my rating because of romance aspect. Katsushiro was already rejected by Kirara in that kissing scene episode. I'm right after all she's in love with Kanbei.
Mar 12, 2016 2:57 PM

May 2012
Well that sure escalated quickly in these last two episodes! Quite the intense battle I must say, really impressive and filled with action!

All in all a proper final battle for this series, but the recklessness of killing of some characters was a bit meh.

That said, still a good series in general.
Oct 1, 2016 10:42 PM
Sep 2015
Why did all the best ones had to die?

7/10. Would be 8/10 without some pacing issues. It really was boring at times.
Jun 28, 2020 1:11 AM

May 2015
That was depressing
Kikuchiyo shouldn't have died. They killed the best ones from the 7. I bet that if Katsuhiro had died instead of Gorobei in that moment the 6 would have survived.
7/10
Feb 15, 2021 5:46 PM
Dec 2019
I'm usually heavy on the critique but this time I'm on the other side. I really don't get why a lot of people think this is a mediocre series, as it's one of the most engrossing series I've watched and one without any heavy flaws. The characters aren't given that much attention but in something as plot driven as this they were fine, and plus the tone was good enough to make it feel authentic, unlike most anime. You don't need some dramatic backstory for each of the samurai. The mecha elements were also out of place and defied logic but having seen wuxia stories growing up I'm totally fine with the supernatural abilities of the samurai. In fact, the steampunk samurai mashup really helped with the engagement of the series because there were constantly new set pieces and locations to take in. If this was just a regular old Japanese setting with no flair I wouldn't care much for it.

I was going to say killing off three more characters wasn't good but then you can argue that it helped finalize Katsuhiro's development. I do wish he got together with Kirara, though. They dun messed up on that one.

Maybe it's because this series is rather understated that people aren't too enamored with it. It doesn't play up a lot of melodrama and people don't have bombastic reactions to things. That's why the shoehorned love triangle didn't hurt it much (I'm pretty sure they only included it to give Kirara something to do at that point in the story). Emotional reunions, tearful goodbyes, and deaths are given no special direction, so that despite the outlandish setting the dramatic backbone feels very real and grounded.

There's not much going on thematically but it's still a very good depiction of the hardships, complexities, and changes of feudal Japanese society. It does a good job blurring the lines of class, honor, and morality.

I also found no problems with the pace even though a lot of people take issue with it. I think it was paced perfectly and there was a battle every episode. I have seen very few anime that have such an engaging storyline AND isn't cringey. As far as samurai stories go this was a hell of a lot better in terms of plot than things like Kenshin and Katanagatari. Champloo doesn't have an ongoing storyline so that's not much of a comparison. But if you think there are better series out there at doing what this anime does, please quote this and let me know. Looking at the recommendations as of today, there's not a single anime on the list that's actually better than this show other than Samurai Champloo (debatably).

RecynonFeb 15, 2021 5:52 PM
Mar 19, 2021 11:23 PM

Dec 2020
a very very underrated show, unfortunately.
Oct 13, 2021 3:54 AM
Apr 2021
Ending good but not great almost perfect but enjoy it 7.5 or maybe 8/10 because I like ending
Feb 12, 2022 1:00 PM
Sep 2021
Up till episode 16 the series was amazing. It felt like there was this huge interesting world with so many places, cultures and people to explore but by the end of it the world felt hollow instead. The antagonists felt like pushovers compared to Kambe. Katsushiro, out of nowhere, became strong enough to beat en entire army. Kirara started off as this goal oriented female lead but she then focused more on romance; that was a punch to the gut. The rest of the characters had unimportant parts in the story after ep 16. Nothing had weight in the story anymore; the fights, characters, story. Its a shame, it had a great start.
Sep 12, 2022 9:12 PM

Feb 2010
Mixed feelings about that one. It's one of Gonzo's better anime, I think, as it was delivering on being a warrior surprisingly well, and I didn't even feel that they had completely wasted the second half (but they always do), only haf-wasted maybe. The last battle felt quite satisfying, the series have great action in general. It's otlandish, sure, but if you accept that, you may find that it blends realistic with outlandish in a way that is rather stylish. The series don't give an impression of being a "foder" anime, and it seems like they wanted to include things for all ages audience, as represented by heroes, which is nice. There are different approaches to fighting, and there is more than one romance to root for. Naturally, the main focus is on Kirara-kun one, which is ironic in how it ended. I was under the impression that Kirara had fallen for the younger one, and suddenly - WTF!? The girl is weird. I can't say if it was by design, or just a way to add more drama and adhere to NO HAPPY ENDINGS code of Gonzo. I wanted to forget the origin of the series as I watched it, since it was quite satisfactory most of the way, and it has more substance than your average anime - 8/10 in my book. If not for the SAMURAI theme, we might have gotten a better romance, but (although nowhere specifically stated than samurai can't marry) it seems that heterosexual relationships - even romantic ones! - seem to be in some way against the nature of samurai. And since being samurai is what both Katsushiro and Kanbei want (or can't help), no romance for them. It's rather bitter, because Katsu seem to want it with the girl, but since they made her fall for Kanbei, he can't. Looks like a way of making the young one "tougher", so he can become another Kanbei in time. Hardly something I care about being more of in the world, you know. At least the peasants had won. And the other couples are happy. But since I don't exactly believe in Kirara's route, it's a bitter ending, not because of some samurai dying, or even Komachi's romance ending like that, but rather out of pointlessness of Katsu sticking to a way of the past, being "too attached to his sword". It is as they say "a way" not the destination, however, it is the cause they defended that made samurai leads likable, not their way or aloofness. From the first appearance of Katsu I believed he was about a worthy cause (and that it might lead to his downfall even), not the other way around, like, you know: "I am a samurai, and thus I will fight any war, just because". It's like a character growth in reverse. Or maybe he's out helping the innocent, in the end, idk. I can't even say if his heart is truly broken or just bruised. That kind of uncertainty surely doesn't add to charm of the series.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai 7 Episode 25 Discussion

WolfWood37 - Aug 13, 2009

18 by Spirelord »»
May 29, 2023 12:40 PM

Poll: » Samurai 7 Episode 19 Discussion

admiringworm - Jan 30, 2009

13 by Spirelord »»
May 4, 2023 12:20 PM

Poll: » Samurai 7 Episode 7 Discussion

morbidmuse - Mar 22, 2008

27 by Anggawicak21 »»
Apr 26, 2023 1:11 AM

Poll: » Samurai 7 Episode 3 Discussion

Grandy - Dec 31, 2008

16 by Spirelord »»
Apr 12, 2023 12:37 PM

Poll: » Samurai 7 Episode 8 Discussion

Einvera - Apr 29, 2009

11 by Overcast93 »»
May 14, 2022 10:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.