Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 4, 2014 2:03 AM
Mar 2014
Am I alone when I think Clannad is overrated?
I mean the only part of the story I felt sad was when Tomoya confronted his dad in After Story and he asked if he had made Tomoya into a man. The only other time I felt sad was when Ushio died.

I felt that the anime made me feel like an idiot when it used the 7 magical dragon balls and all of a sudden Nagisa isn’t dead and all is well. Also I felt that all the females were one-dimensional.

Nagisa was always happy or sad, and when she was sad it was as if the show basically told the audience ‘’this is where you cry’’ this is not only a nagisa flaw but a show flaw as it feels like they need to make the characters cry in order to tell you this is where you are supposed to feel sad. It is kind of like a laugh track in these sitcoms as it almost tells you this is where you laugh. Anyway Nagisa was a ditz who I felt couldn’t do crap without tomoya’s help.

Kyou , Ryou and Kotomi. I swear Ryou could just be switched out with a piece of cardboard and you would be better off. So did Kotomi, I know she was supposed to be the asocial bookworm but the little personality she had in her story arc disappeared during the rest of the show. Kyou seemed to be portrayed as an aggressive character,but sometimes I felt like the character itself didn’t know what it was. Times where I I felt she should have reacted aggressively she didn’t,like when she and Tomoya was at the gym together, I thought she was gonna kick his ass not all of a sudden become defensive. You could say that she did like him however she seemed afraid. she also has normal conversations where she doesn’t show the aggression or confidence she usually shows other times so the character isn’t consistence.

These are some of the flaws. BUT the show has Akio and Sanae I wish the entire show revolved around them because they were the best parent characters in anime history.
Mar 4, 2014 2:15 AM

Dec 2012
Yeah that was my problem with this series and Anohana. I dislike when they make the characters cry in a way to show when to get sad. There was an insane amount of heavy handed emotional manipulation injected into the show. It sacrifices realism for the sake of invoking more emotions from you with unbelievable and outrageously melodramatic story lines.

The worst part is that people are so gullible. I'm quite confident that people thought Anohana was so sad because the character literally cried 90% of the time, there were no dramatic moments without someone fucking crying like a toddler. Ughh.

I don't like to use the word 'overrated' but Clannad doesn't deserve even 1/10th of the praise it gets by any fan especially the type that are like ''OMG SADDEST ANIME EVER DX T_T and BEST ROMANCE EVERR <3 <3 ! ! !11''
tsudecimoMar 4, 2014 2:20 AM
Mar 4, 2014 3:58 AM
Mar 2014
The saddest part of the show was the Tomoya and his dad arc in After Story, Why? Because it was a thing that had build up to it. we saw the entire series and the conflict between these two. Things like Fuko and Kotomi didn’t feel sad because Fuko’s cameos killed everything about her arc, and Kotomi didn’t even feel phased after her entire arc,she acted like it never happened.

The only 2 parts that were sad were the parts that actually were dramatic, the Tomoya dad and Ushio stuff cause the Ushio stuff you saw. you saw the trouble between Ushio and Tomoya from bad to good. it had actual drama. but the whole Fuko thing where people forget her when they see her at the hospital and all of a sudden appearing and all of a sudden people forget her again, it just so stupid. so much time was wasted on characters I didn’t care about. I mean why didn’t Tomoya get her own arc,sure she had an OVA but that wasn’t enough. Sunohara deserved even more screen time than he got and fucking make a show about Akio and Sanae,how they met.

Even if Tomoya was deep he was extremely boring character for me. All the time it seemed like he was just there. you could have switched him out with any other harem lead and you wouldn’t notice the difference
Mar 5, 2014 3:21 PM

Jul 2011
I wont read all this because I just finished clannad and have yet to watch after story. But i think clannad is overrateda s fuuuckkkk!!!. Damn the characters are really really good, the music, and such but its not sad at all and its pretty fucking boring. Like 80% of this show nothing happens. I dont know i sat through 18 episodes, because from 18-22 was good but the whole fuko chan bullshit was annoying as hell. Also the library girl too. I just hope after story is better than this 6/10
Mar 5, 2014 3:24 PM

Nov 2010
Yes you are alone. Congratulations you are the only person on this planet of 7 billion who thought a popular anime is overrated. Somebody get this guy a medal.

There are probably even dozens more of the same exact thread on this board.
Mar 5, 2014 3:26 PM

Apr 2013
The problem with Clannad is they have a big bucket of melodrama.
And they just pour it all over Clannad.
an egomaniac and a fool

Mar 5, 2014 3:46 PM

Jun 2013
Clannad is a sad anime indeed I have to admit that I actually crying A LOT when watching clannad, it's not because those always-crying-characters but because it's wrapped nicely and make the situation even more sad, the way they make the moment from sad to calm to sad to happy to sad again make your feeltrip messed up, and that is for the sad part, I can't recall much about Clannad since it's been a while except the sad part, about the score or how overrated this anime is I don't care much, people are different from each others in so many ways.
Jun 28, 2014 3:45 AM

Jul 2012
tsudecimo said:
Yeah that was my problem with this series and Anohana. I dislike when they make the characters cry in a way to show when to get sad. There was an insane amount of heavy handed emotional manipulation injected into the show. It sacrifices realism for the sake of invoking more emotions from you with unbelievable and outrageously melodramatic story lines.

The worst part is that people are so gullible. I'm quite confident that people thought Anohana was so sad because the character literally cried 90% of the time, there were no dramatic moments without someone fucking crying like a toddler. Ughh.

I don't like to use the word 'overrated' but Clannad doesn't deserve even 1/10th of the praise it gets by any fan especially the type that are like ''OMG SADDEST ANIME EVER DX T_T and BEST ROMANCE EVERR <3 <3 ! ! !11''

OMG, I have the same opinion about both Clannad and AnoHana! Voice actors did bad job at expressing feelings of sadness. Many people were moved by the crying scenes - they probably aren't paying much attention at seiyuu's work, when they watch anime.
Jul 3, 2014 2:57 AM
Jul 2018
I think Clannad was good, however I didn't like how Nagisa was revived because she had such a big influence in the development of all the other characters especially Tomoya.

I think that Ushio didn't have to die, and that she could just have been revived because it was her and Tomoya from the other world, but that the 5 years Nagisa was dead and the best moments of the anime, just suddenly didn't happen really ruins the anime for me, I still like it but not as much as I would have liked it, if Nagisa wasn't revived.

I mean Tomoya really became a man and got along with his dad, and took care of his daughter, and became a much stronger person.

I also feel that Tomoya and Nagisa's love were so forced, they didn't have any chemistry at all (maybe Nagisa had a little but Tomoya didn't) and then he just suddenly confesses his love for her, the viewers didn't know at all that he loved her, he never blushed with her.
Jul 3, 2014 3:09 AM
Aug 2012
Yes OP, you are alone.
Jul 3, 2014 3:12 AM

May 2012
So what is your favorite romance anime then? Because I have a hard time finding one better than Clannad.

All your negative thoughts about Clannad are subjective.
Jul 3, 2014 3:25 AM

Oct 2010
Jul 4, 2014 10:51 AM

Jul 2012
Ryugen said:
So what is your favorite romance anime then? Because I have a hard time finding one better than Clannad.

Glass mask 2005, Chihayafuru, Kaiba, Nagi no Asukara, Macross Frontier, White album 2, and currently airing Glasslip has big potential. These titles aren't focused ONLY on romance, but their romantic parts made bigger impact on me.
Jul 4, 2014 10:55 AM

Jan 2013
Clannad is a good show, but it isnt in the top 5. I'll admit that.
Jul 23, 2014 1:40 AM

Jan 2014
you're not alone. I also find this overrated. but I thought I would giving it a shot even when I don't get the mood to watch this series. TBH.
Jul 24, 2014 12:27 PM

Jul 2013
Yes.

Out of the world of whatever billion people, you are the only one who thinks that the show that's ranked #3 on this site is overrated.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Jul 24, 2014 12:28 PM

Jul 2014
I don't think it's overrated, it has tons of feelings
Jul 24, 2014 12:39 PM

Nov 2013
I highly enjoyed clannad. I didn't feel as though the drama was contrived.
That's of course subjective. You shouldn't look for an objective answer when you know there isn't one.

I can see you

Aug 3, 2014 8:16 AM
Aug 2014
As much as I love Clannad (which is a lot) I think Kanon is better. It's shorter and easier to get through, and I liked ALL the characters (I was not a Ryou fan) and they don't fall back on crying nearly as much.
Aug 3, 2014 10:32 AM

Jul 2014
i give clannad 4/10 and After story 10/10
I think that fist season is overrated because the second is a masterpiece of drama.
Aug 24, 2014 6:10 PM

Jun 2014
Go see the rating of both show. Go see how much rated it lower then 6/10 and you get your answer.
Jan 4, 2015 1:12 AM

Oct 2013
I don't know what I ever saw in this show back then. I just lowered the rating myself. No wonder people kept telling me I had shit taste when I first signed on back in 2013..... I must have been near depressed when I first watched it. I would rather watch another crap show like Lucky Star.
Jan 4, 2015 10:42 AM

Jan 2014
You are (not) alone 2.0
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 22, 2015 1:57 PM
May 2012
FrancisCooper said:
As much as I love Clannad (which is a lot) I think Kanon is better. It's shorter and easier to get through, and I liked ALL the characters (I was not a Ryou fan) and they don't fall back on crying nearly as much.

Same. There wasn't one single character in Kanon that I disliked but there were a few characters that I didn't like at all in Clannad i.e Fuko, Ryou, Mei, Kotomi and formerly, (but brief) Nagisa. (her bit at the end of the first series really annoyed me). To be fair, Clannad has a bigger cast than Kanon so it's a lot easier to pick out characters that are unworthy and you have a dislike for them.
Kanon's story is also more direct instead of mish-mashing it with ovas and side character arcs and the ending to Clannad AS is the biggest offender of the whole show. Kanon's didn't feel as disappointing in that sense. I really love both shows though but I like Kanon more simply because of the reasons you stated above.
WinterSnowflakeJul 23, 2015 9:16 AM
Jul 22, 2015 1:59 PM
Jul 2018
Clannad is not the second coming of romance anime. It's overrated as hell. I've enjoyed other romances way more.

You're not alone.
Jul 23, 2015 2:21 AM
May 2012
RedTie47 said:
Clannad is not the second coming of romance anime. It's overrated as hell. I've enjoyed other romances way more.

You're not alone.

Watch Kanon 2006. That's a lot easier to get through than Clannad's first series. Avoid Kanon 2002 at all costs. The animation is horrible and the story is badly put together. The only good thing about it is the ending song. Other than that,it's a shambled mess. 2006 is a million times better.
Oct 30, 2015 6:15 PM

Nov 2013
Hayama-Mizuki said:
Ryugen said:

Glass mask 2005, Chihayafuru, Kaiba, Nagi no Asukara, Macross Frontier, White album 2, and currently airing Glasslip has big potential. These titles aren't focused ONLY on romance, but their romantic parts made bigger impact on me.

These anime are not bad, but not better than Clannad. OP you are not alone, but wrong nevertheless. And don't lump Clannad together with AnoHana. Never.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 22, 2016 1:00 PM

Aug 2012
Extreme3708 said:
I wont read all this because I just finished clannad and have yet to watch after story. But i think clannad is overrateda s fuuuckkkk!!!. Damn the characters are really really good, the music, and such but its not sad at all and its pretty fucking boring. Like 80% of this show nothing happens. I dont know i sat through 18 episodes, because from 18-22 was good but the whole fuko chan bullshit was annoying as hell. Also the library girl too. I just hope after story is better than this 6/10

Pretty much this.

I dropped it after 11 episodes cause I couldn't bear with it anymore.

Every girl looks the fucking same (and I hate that char design with a passion).

Every pseudo sad/emotional part felt so forced.

It was just too boring to get through.

I'm glad I dropped it from what I'm reading...

Jan 22, 2016 1:36 PM

Aug 2014
I thought of it as overrated. Well 1st season atleast, I had a hard time caring about anyone besides Tomoya and Tomoyo (who is best grill btw!). AS was overall better for me, Fuuko was quite nice. It feels like Clannad is trying waaaay to hard at making you cry, which never really got me for the most part. Not to mention those god damn eyes...
Jan 22, 2016 4:52 PM
May 2015
Well Clannad is... good. No In, fact great. While you aren't alone, you definitely are in the minority. I mean Clannad isn't mainstream like that, but it's very popular. It's pretty much regarded as the best romance drama anime out there to date. It's so popular that even after 7 or 8 years, people funded it's English release for the visual Novel. I absolutely loved Clannad and Clannad After Story. Also with the thing for Nagisa being revived, it was a way to wrap up the girl and robot story. That's what I feel at least. The robot was supposed to be Tomoya and the girl was Ushio/Nagisa. That's my speculation at least.
Jan 26, 2016 8:15 PM

Nov 2013
I got 13 or so episodes into the original series. I don't think I've ever watched a show that was more of a pain to watch. During the episode with Itchy Nose's backstory I could practically hear the writers whispering in my ear "Hey, are you crying yet?" While my jaw is almost breaking from how hard I'm not caring.

It's also butt ugly. Not only that, but all the charcters look almost the same. The only reason why I remember Itchy Nose's name is because I read it as Itchy Nose and it actually made my heart beat for a second.
Feb 3, 2016 9:21 AM
Jan 2013
NO it is not overrated some people underrate this and that is a shame for a master piece!!! There are a lot of shitty animes that many people like but do I say something about that. Nope because I don't care. Everybody has a different taste, so don't look for an objective answer anymore.
Feb 9, 2016 6:59 PM

Nov 2013
tsudecimo said:
I dislike when they make the characters cry in a way to show when to get sad.

It's on the same level of playing sad music. How about you actually make me care about your 2D archetype characters instead of resorting to cheap tricks?
Feb 9, 2016 7:13 PM

Sep 2015
Yes, you are the only person on the planet who thinks that way.

Props to you, mate.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 24, 2016 4:54 AM

Dec 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
Yes you are alone. Congratulations you are the only person on this planet of 7 billion who thought a popular anime is overrated. Somebody get this guy a medal.

There are probably even dozens more of the same exact thread on this board.

there are able who are always unique yet they get ridiculed by others
Feb 24, 2016 4:54 AM

Apr 2013
Yes you are, it's you against the world!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Awesmoe - Mar 28, 2008

349 by EM1LL3US »»
Apr 10, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KY791 - Mar 13, 2008

145 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KY791 - Mar 6, 2008

214 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nodoka-koi - Nov 29, 2007

442 by Viipers7810 »»
Apr 5, 2:16 AM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KY791 - Feb 28, 2008

158 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 4, 9:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.