Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 2, 2014 12:12 AM

Nov 2013
kyomi-san245 said:
Sayaka is my least favorite character because a lot of her actions are idiotic and she's the biggest plot device, infact she's pretty much the most irrelevant character in the series.

Uhhh.. Mami is more irrelevant than Sayaka. Actually, Sayaka gets lots of screen time and development, how can she be irrelevant in anyway?
And how exactly were her actions idiotic?
May 2, 2014 3:16 AM

Aug 2009
Threads like these show that people are able to totally ignore every character except their fav.
May 2, 2014 3:24 AM

Dec 2012
Botato said:
kyomi-san245 said:
Sayaka is my least favorite character because a lot of her actions are idiotic and she's the biggest plot device, infact she's pretty much the most irrelevant character in the series.

Uhhh.. Mami is more irrelevant than Sayaka. Actually, Sayaka gets lots of screen time and development, how can she be irrelevant in anyway?

I think Mami is one of the mentally weakest of the bunch, considering how she reacts when hearing the truth and such
May 2, 2014 4:31 AM

Dec 2012
They are all horrible unlikable creatures.
May 2, 2014 4:41 AM

Nov 2013
Objurgo said:
Botato said:
kyomi-san245 said:

I think Mami is one of the mentally weakest of the bunch, considering how she reacts when hearing the truth and such

I wasn't trying to say she's a bad character or anything. But the fact is, Mami (and Kyouko) had less focus than Sayaka. So calling Sayaka the most irrelevant character is kind of absurd.

tsudecimo said:
They are all horrible unlikable creatures.

Was it too moe for you? Or not enough moe?

ssjokg said:
Threads like these show that people are able to totally ignore every character except their fav.

Well, there's some truth to that..
May 2, 2014 4:44 AM

Feb 2012
I'm wrong? You're wrong.

May 3, 2014 3:10 AM

Jul 2013
Kyouko master race.

Edit: Speling
ThisNameSucksMay 3, 2014 3:33 AM
May 3, 2014 9:49 AM

Jul 2009
ThisNameSucks said:
Kyouko master race.

Edit: Speling

even with your edit for spelling you got her name wrong:
http://www.madokamagicausa.com/character-kyoko.php
Nov 9, 2021 2:22 AM
Aug 2018
tsudecimo said:
Sayaka's reason and the conflict she had for development was really weak (because of a boy, really?) she felt so idiotic in so many ways. Homura seems shallow because all of her existence is fixated on Madoka but she is more likable than Sayaka.

Either way I'm pretty sure most people don't like PMMM for the characters.

jal90 said:
And here I was, believing that Madoka was actually the best character... being wrong is kind of awkward.

Wait what? Madoka is an actual character?

mind= blown
Why Madoka Kaname is the best character of all the Holy Quintet? Because she is the strongest magical girl who is truly the one who kills Walpurgisnacht in 1 hit as Kyubey mentioned in Timeline 4 in episode 10 of the original series.
Nov 9, 2021 3:02 AM
Aug 2018
tsudecimo said:
jal90 said:
but overall her emotional blocking through the series is very contextualized. Every scene with her having a good time with her friends in the first couple of episodes, showing herself as a girl without an actual major purpose in life (she has trivial concerns that every girl her age has), is related to her reactions when she's slowly sucked into having a major role in the story.

Okay but that was established in the first two episodes. The same thing kept happening for almost all of her screen time except the last episode IIRC.

On the other hand she was the only character in the series who actually had, as well as a close relation with the effectors of the plotline (the Witches and Kyuubey), a side story that dealt with the emotional effects on her personality. I have always defended Madoka's family, and specially her mother, as one of the essential plot points of the series, and the one that affected me the most, actually. Madoka in the context of the show is a teenage girl who is in a natural process of change. I have read quite often that this series works as a huge and fucked up metaphor for puberty and in that sense the progressive distancing between Madoka and her mother embody the emotional isolation that happens naturally through this change. Madoka stops relying on her mother and the mother in turn struggles to understand the decisions of her daughter.

That's a nice interpretation and all but the fact remains that it didn't have much emphasis. What effects on her personality? I don't think her initial 'personality' was affected aside from the final episode. She behaved like a normal girl on her age who is being sucked into something bigger and beyond her like you said above, but the events didn't bring forth any change in her character, they just made her behave in the same way for a long time.

What you seem to be describing here is that Madoka doesn't move the key events in the plot and I can't disagree. Because her role in the series was to suffer through a process, not to determine it. And in that sense, I think she is a far more complete character than Sayaka and Homura (the second in special), even if I admire the idealism and strong will of the first, or if I get moved with the tragic essence of the second.

You kept saying the word ''contextualized'' but I don't know why. I don't think it's a good thing. It's not a merit of her character that she is contextualized, her name is in the title, one would expect that story would surround her. But like I said even though the story was about her, she didn't have a presence.

Well I don't know where to take this little argument because what I remember from Madoka is she

1/Acting like a little girl getting caught up with something bigger than her, which was realistic and good for the first couple of episodes.

2/ Acting the same way through out the story and repeating the same dialogue and actions over, and over again in a vapid way.

3/ Only changing in the very last episode in a forced manner to solve the final conflict.

Her character was never fleshed out, her personality was as two dimensional as ever, maybe even one dimensional and lacking in proper characterization and the characterization she did have were trite, bland and un-inspired.

I can't say that I understand why you think she is a good character, as your points seems to be revolving about the fact that the story is indeed about her, like the title suggests.

Maybe deathrot (did I spell this right) will come and shed some light. Because I don't get how someone can consider Madoka something more than a plot device and a decoy protagonist.

One of the major reasons is Madoka wants to become useful because she does not think whether she thinks she is worthy. In episode 2 of the original series she thinks it is fun because Mami Tomoe has kill witch Gertrud and she pays attention to the person who suffers a witch kiss will comitt suicide with no reasons. In episode 3, Madoka attempt to make a wish to end Mami Tomoe's fate for fighting alone. Then during a battle with witch Charlotte, Madoka Kaname and Sayaka Miki witness Mami is murdered by witch Charlotte right in front of the former two eyes. That event changed Madoka's personality from a cheerful girl to a crybaby. It is most likely she suffers Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). In episode 4, Madoka shows her bravery to save a group of people (including one of her classmates Hitomi Shizuki) from a suicide attack resulting from witch Kirsten (H.N.Elly)'s kiss. Madoka throws a bucket filled with bleach and saves the others but this time the people attack Madoka with no reasons. Sayaka Miki (now a magical girl) saves Madoka from the witch. In episode 5, Madoka ask Homura Akemi to a cafe to acts Sayaka as a friend to fight witches. But what does Homura says to Madoka 'Give up on Sayaka.' So Madoka accompany with Sayaka to a witch hunt. But Kyoko Sakura (a new magical girl) interferes. Sayaka fights with Kyoko and Madoka attempt to make a wish to save Sayaka but sadly who stopped it. It is none other than Homura. In episode 6, Madoka also learns the mistakes she throws Sayaka's soul gem in order to stop a deadly fight between Sayaka and Kyoko because Kyubey has told Sayaka is unable to defeat Kyoko and Homura in the earlier of the episode. Because Kyubey has told the girls they will lose their body and become 'empty shell' if their soul gem is 100 meters away from the magical girls. In episode 7, Madoka notices Sayaka is absent from school on that day. Later in the episode Sayaka is lying to Madoka that she already dead and Sayaka claims she is a zombie. In episode 8, Madoka takes Sayaka home, at the bus stop. Sayaka criticize Madoka for doing nothing for letting the former one suffer. But the problem is, Sayaka does not clean her soul gem. Leading to her soul gem is seriously corrupted, it's like a ticking time bomb, ready to detonate. Near the end of episode 8, Sayaka's soul gem actually explodes. In episode 9, Kyoko carry Sayaka's dead body to Madoka. Sayaka is Madoka's best friend actually die in front of Madoka's eyes. In timeline 3 of episode 10, Sayaka thinks Homura is breaking up the team so she refused to team up with Homura. In episode 11, Kyubey decides to give Madoka an important lesson about killing an animal (pigs, cows and birds etc.) for meat in relation to Incubators and the young (magical) girls under Kyubey's system. Magical girls makes a wish with Incubators begins in hope and ended in despair. Humans keep animals for food it just like the same. Once humans select an animal, they eat the meat of the selected animal and leave the bone after they finished eating the animal.

Kyubey's evil Theory is as follows:
1. Grant wishes and create magical girls
2. Wait for these magical girls to turn into witches
3. Create more magical girls to fight the witches
4. Collect the negative energy the new magical girls have found and generated.
5. Repeat process
6. ???
7. Profit

Madoka thinks humans just like incubators, animals just like the magical girls under Kyubey's system. Meat of the animal resembles to the energy collected once the magical girls do not nor fail to clean their soul gems and turn to witches. What's more, saving Mami and Sayaka are now void. The only magical girl Madoka can only saves is none other than Homura. Madoka takes the final decisive action even though it will hurt her family. Because Madoka is truly the one goes to Homura's apartment whether she need help to defeat the Walpurgisnacht. But Homura says she can capable of defeating it. In fact, Homura finds it's too difficult to defeat the Walpurgisnacht even she is well prepared. Near the end of episode 11, Madoka goes to the Homura's scene successfully and prevent Homura transformed to witch by touching Homura's left hand. It's just like defusing a time bomb. But this case Madoka does not even need a toolbox to defuse it. In episode 12, Madoka decides the only wish she makes is erasing all the witches before they even born. Past, present, future is Madoka's only way out (廣東話即係:唯一出路) to snap out of her uselessness. That's the only way she can save all the citizens in Mitakihara City (including her family and Homura). Madoka's transform to the strongest magical girl and defeat the Walpurgisnacht. She flies to everywhere and bear all the suffering, curses and despair for all the magical girls under Kyubey's system. Then Madoka creates the giant soul gem which carry all the curses, despair, suffering etc. for all the magical girls and takes it to space. Then Madoka transform to goddess and destroys her witch form Kriemhild Gretchen. Homura is even alive in the end of episode 12. Madoka brings her best friend Sayaka to 'Law of the Cycle' after the last song perform by Kyosuke Kamijo. Finally she revives Mami Tomoe and Kyoko Sakura.

I want to give you a video of How Puella Magi Madoka★Magica Grows Its Characters in the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh4hsqYNIBg

Let's continue to the Madoka Magica 'Rebellion' movie, do you notice Madoka Kaname cries during the movie. The answer is no. Madoka has more time become a magical girl than in the TV series. Madoka, Sayaka, Kyoko, Mami and Bebe willing to fight the 1st Nightmare. Next, Madoka willing to fight the 2nd Nightmare (which is created from Hitomi Shizuki) with her friends (This time including Homura Akemi). Madoka also braids Homura's hair during the flower scene. In regards to the battle against Homulilly (Homura's witch form), Madoka works with Mami, Madoka shooting arrows to crack the incubator's ceiling. Madoka also rescue Nagisa Momoe from the Clara Dolls. Near the end of the battle, Madoka connects with Homura's arrow to destroy Homulilly, isolation field and many Kyubeys.

To be honest, tsudecimo. You have clearly not pay attention when watching Madoka Magica. Especially you failed to understand what Madoka Kaname's personalities look like. You never have a cute, kind, sweet and caring girl treat you when you are feel sad, sick , feeling unwell etc. I'm a male who understand my favorite anime girls' situation. Because I watched Air (TV), Clannad and Clannad After Story, Kanon (2002 & 2006 version) and Angel Beats before Madoka Magica. Why you keep igoring daedroth4 and the other users' other posts in regards the comparison of Madoka Kaname and Shinji Ikari? Think about it, tsudecimo. If you want to understand Madoka Kaname and Shinji Ikari, how about you are truly the one in Madoka Kaname situation in Madoka Magica or Shinji Ikari's situation in Neon Genesis Evangelion.
3ASV226Feb 9, 2022 2:35 AM
Nov 9, 2021 3:19 AM

Mar 2019
Oh i can't believe Gween_Gween has existed on this site since 2014

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Nov 14, 2021 10:14 PM
Oct 2017
7 Years later and this dude still wrong as hell! Imagine doing all those stupid things a for a boy that don't even give a shit bout you
Feb 2, 2023 8:45 PM

Dec 2021
First, of all there are no BAD CHARACTERS in Madoka Magica (I've re-watched the series, movies and spin-offs more than ten times)

This series is just too complex for the Fake Anime Fans/Casuals to fathom and coincidently those who are saying all are horrible have bogging abominable series in their favourites

Some Anime are niche because they are aimed towards HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS who have watched thousands of Anime not paltry hundreds

If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
May 14, 2023 5:25 AM
Apr 2023
I 100% agree, Sayaka Miki is best girl and solos anime verse
May 17, 2023 4:21 PM

Oct 2019
leetshoe said:
Or you just didn't understand the show. Sayaka is the one character the show devotes the most time to developing and is one of the only two characters (besides Homura) to get a full character arc. Sayaka's character arc closely inspects the ideal of heroism and idealism, both of which lead Sayaka to her place in the series. To think Sayaka is the worst character would be the same as complaining about Shinji in NGE. To say Mami is the best character you are actually just saying "l liked Mami's character DESIGN, not her character" because Mami is boring and has no presence throughout the series. Just cuz she has great knockers doesn't make her a good character.

sayaka is great, but homura is the best. unless we ignore rebellion.

then i'm with you.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1541 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.