Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2014 3:57 AM
Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good god, this was perfect.
Well, nearly but it was still awesome as hell.
This movie clearly had a huge budget compared to the first two seasons and even Reimeiroku.
OK, so important things to note(huge SPOILERS for those who haven't seen the two anime seasons, beware):
Basically no history whatsoever. Ikedaya and explanations about Shinsengumi/Choshu were a bit rushed, so a casual viewer who has never seen any Hakuouki or doesn't have Japanese history knowledge will be a bit lost, but they made the story flow VERY well and you don't really feel the need to know all the details. It's more simplified - Choshu=enemy, Shinsengumi=good guys.
They tried to simplify the characters as well. There aren't many scenes where the Shinsengumi actually seem as a family(like in the anime) and they don't really show their ideals and dreams much, but it's still there.
Some characters were completely missing(understandably) and others had a very small part(Itou/Sen-hime), which is a shame, really, but when you think about it - they have too many storylines running at once to deal with this in the movie too.
So it's uh... very concentrated on Chizuru - she and Hijikata have the greatest character development. She isn't hiding her oni powers and they kinda see them quite early on. She even uses the powers a few times - it looks so epic! Chizuru with glowing eyes and white hair, damn.

So, in conclusion, the movie is absolutely great! Some stuff are left out but you almost don't notice them, as the story flows perfectly.

So, in review-style:(a.k.a. TL;DR)
Art: 10/10, absolutely.
Sound: 9/10 - OST was very fitting, ED was amazing, such a good song!
Story: 9.5/10 - This movie has a kind of magic that pulls you in. And I think this magic is in the storytelling here.
Characters: 8/10 - Not as developed here and some of them were kind of missing, but you still get to know them.
Enjoyment: 10/10 - After the end you feel damn satisfied and wanting more.
Overall: 9.5/10 - Deen has, for once, managed to do something with such care and perfection. Cheers to that!

Edit: On another note... Kodou & Kaoru's early/very direct appearance made me think. Chizuru has now already seen her father and knows (at least) that he's not good/against the Shinsengumi. I don't think it doesn't really matters, since she's always been kind of selfless, typical otome kind of character, so this can't make a big impact on the events and her perception, except hasten the process of getting her priorities straight and belonging to the Shinsengumi. Nonetheless, it had a bigger impact when she found out in mid-battle in Hekketsuroku. But it's acceptable, since that way the story of the movie flows better.
TheHollowShrineMar 2, 2014 6:07 AM
Mar 2, 2014 10:55 AM

Nov 2007
I watched the TV special ver. (30 mins.) in prior, so even though this movie is recap of first season (while the 2nd movie is recap of second season), the editing and additional scenes added doesn't let me think I'm watching recap.

I love the ED of movie 1 the most.
tsubasaloverMar 2, 2014 11:00 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 3, 2014 1:19 PM

Feb 2014
I'm confused as to why it's posted on English sub websites with Chinese subs..?

Anyone?
Cody8076Mar 20, 2014 11:59 AM
Mar 8, 2014 9:28 PM

Aug 2011
Humm, can't find any raws for this.
Mar 10, 2014 8:50 AM

Oct 2009
Pangeaa said:

can't find any raws? I can't find any subbed ;;

I love you forever, さよなら 君が愛してるよ ♪

Mar 10, 2014 8:42 PM

Aug 2011
cherichelly said:
Pangeaa said:

can't find any raws? I can't find any subbed ;;

Looks like we've got ourselves a problem.
Mar 12, 2014 1:46 PM
Feb 2008
The raw is definetly out, I watched it today. If you google it, you'll find it on the usual streaming sites. There is no download though and it has chinese subs.
Mar 20, 2014 6:06 AM
Jan 2013
Raw or sub?
Mar 28, 2014 2:02 PM

Jun 2012
Frost_Kiss said:
Raw or sub?

raw

- I only draw freestyle! -
Apr 2, 2014 4:20 PM

Jul 2013
I just watched it and yes It's was awesome and animation was the way better but I'm kind a disappointed. I know that it's not easy to put half anime together in the one hour and more but I fell like it killed the spirit, especially Shinsengumi spirit. Anime was more then just Chizuru and now they are represented as bunch of weaklings.

Spoiler alert!!!

History and Shinsengumi spirit is somehow put in the background. Last scene was a big shock for me.. Chizuru saves Hijikata?? He drank ochimizu to protect her because he promised..? He looked so weak from whole movie.. That's not Hijikata that I know from anime..
Same goes for Okita..
Demons are much more presented as cool and Kazama was too much in the spotlight...

I don't know maybe I'm rumbling but I'm a big fan and after watching I fell somehow that is not it.
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Apr 3, 2014 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
Are they still going to sub this in English?
Apr 14, 2014 12:52 AM
Jan 2013
May 31, 2014 2:54 AM
May 2014
can someone give me the link to watch the eng sub please...i've been searching for it since last night T__T help mee
Jun 20, 2014 7:47 PM
Dec 2013
a subbed version was actually out on youtube and many other sites for a while but they took them all down due to copyright issues or something :(

i was lucky enough to watch it b4 it disappeared
Aug 4, 2014 5:55 PM
Aug 2010
SPOILER WITHIN

There is a lot of comparison to the anime, which is understandable, but the entire point of the anime and the movies is to adapt the original stories found in the otome game(s), this includes the side stories as well as the main routes. The anime was a nice blending of other character routes into Hijikata's route which is the longest and most defined in the game since he's considered the main protagonist/love interest option. In this version, they did gloss over the history and character development to share more versions of that were found in the original game, and in new ones that never existed (spoiler: ex. Hijikata getting shot by the soldiers at the end during his fight with Kazama) in the game to begin with.

I personally loved the addition of more oni presence because in other routes. Especially, original movie additions of Chizuru's oni form, which even in the game is rarely seen. It was new and very beautifully executed! Additionally, Kazama has a bigger presence which is great because he has a substantial role in a variety of routes in the game, especially Toudou Heisuke's route. He's actually a really awesome character, though undoubtedly prideful, in all routes he's presented. He varies from being an antagonist or an anti-hero to a downright villain. It was nice to see more of him in my honest opinion, even if it was in the villain role.

If you haven't played the game and love the anime/movie I highly suggest it because it will provide even more depth to the anime and movie. Only $10 these days too for the PSP version, and $40 for the PS3, which has extra stories.

Loved the movie can't wait to watch the second one! ^_^
Mar 25, 2015 6:14 AM
Nov 2014
i much preferred this version to the series. yes, the story lines were rushed out of necessity, and the character development suffers as a result. nonetheless, the characters are more balanced in this version; the Shinsengumi were shown as strong and principled, but not indestructible, as in the series. there is more time for kazama, and Kaoru's motivations are more coherently expressed. (personally i would love to see more of Kyuju Amagiri - he's my favourite character).

i was particularly pleased with this version of Chizuru; she is a much more impressive woman, resourceful and passionate. you really got the impression that she is a survivor who does not "need" saving, but receives and gives support and part of the Shinsengumi. it was pleasing to see her oni powers shown also. now, it is much more understandable why Hijikata falls in love with her.

i'm looking forward to watching the sequel.
May 3, 2015 7:08 PM

Oct 2008
It's amazing how much better this was than the TV series. They've cut a bunch of characters, scenes and all of the comedy (not that Hakuouki in general has much of it), but the OST, animation and the setting and drama is far better presented.

As someone who played the VN's, I'd rather show this movie to introduce someone to the franchise than the anime.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

May 31, 2015 4:48 PM

Mar 2012
I also prefer this to the TV series, just felt better and overall more enticing. At first I thought it was sort of rushed, but as the movie went on it kinda just came together rather well, total opposite feeling by the time i finished it.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jul 3, 2015 2:22 PM

Dec 2013
Meh. Nice historical setting ruined by supernatural bullshit. Weak story and none of the characters stood above the others. Great visuals tho, +1 for that. Great ED song too.
Don't think I'll bother with the sequel.
Jun 4, 2016 4:46 PM
Jan 2016
For me I liked season 1 better firstly because it had more scenes of okita (I love you so much okita T_T) secondly the first season had lots of character development thirdly I just love how they were as a family in season 1 also the movie didn't make it look very sad for how inoue San died and yamaziki if you haven't seen the other series.
I wanted to rate the movie about 6/10 to 7/10 but because chizuru can was stronger and showed her demon powers I rated it 8/10 but still it was good I think the major thing it lost was character development (what heisuke just simply got hit by the tomb guard -whatever they are called and also sannan San he just dragged her in and okita's illness and harada and that demon with the gun I forgot his name and lots more)but even so I will see the second movie.

Does anyone know what happen to shinpatsu in season 2 did he die??????
Jun 4, 2016 4:57 PM
Jan 2016
Shimai_ni said:
I just watched it and yes It's was awesome and animation was the way better but I'm kind a disappointed. I know that it's not easy to put half anime together in the one hour and more but I fell like it killed the spirit, especially Shinsengumi spirit. Anime was more then just Chizuru and now they are represented as bunch of weaklings.

Spoiler alert!!!

History and Shinsengumi spirit is somehow put in the background. Last scene was a big shock for me.. Chizuru saves Hijikata?? He drank ochimizu to protect her because he promised..? He looked so weak from whole movie.. That's not Hijikata that I know from anime..
Same goes for Okita..
Demons are much more presented as cool and Kazama was too much in the spotlight...

I don't know maybe I'm rumbling but I'm a big fan and after watching I fell somehow that is not it.

I completely agree with you but I guess it is fine that kazuma and the other demons were more cool here but still I prefer the anime and seriously there was no character development except for hijikata and chizuru (btw I don't hate hijikata but I like okita and saito and harada and heisuke way more than him and I would have preferred chizuru to be with okita )
Jan 7, 2017 10:45 AM

Jul 2014
I'm on a Hakuouki marathon right now since I haven't watched this in a while and I'm forced to remember just how great this show is. I loved the series no doubt but the movies also have their own flair.

Chizuru especially is much betterless annoying in the movies than in the series since it shows more of her being an actual oni and I really like that Kazama is featured more, and that Koudo and Kaoru's side of the story is also expounded. Though parts felt rushed and I would have loved to see more of the characters which they didn't get much into unlike the series (understandable considering time constraints for a movie), I still think they did a wonderful job with the plot. The slight changes they made only made the entire thing better and a pleasure to watch despite just having seen the original series beforehand.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Jun 19, 2020 3:57 PM
Aug 2018
Amazing movie, this really gives more life to the characters and story. They really step the animation up on this, the fighting was too epic.
Feb 27, 2021 8:59 PM

Dec 2012
One of the perks of watching these movies so many years after seeing the TV series is being able to enjoy the retelling with fresh eyes. The main events felt familiar enough that I wasn't lost, but foreign enough that it wasn't a redundant recap. Though my knowledge on it is very limited, this time period is among the most fascinating that I've found in Japanese period pieces. Glad to see they didn't spare any expense on portraying the bloodshed as gruesome rather than glorious. It's highly reminiscent of the Rurouni Kenshin OVA in that sense. Though with that said, the sword play was still a fantastic spectacle and this movie just kept it coming.

I might have to revisit the TV series just to fill in some of the timeline gaps, but the second season certainly made what's coming next unforgettable, no matter how many years pass.

7.5/10

Mar 12, 2021 5:21 PM
Jan 2015
bekeru said:
It's amazing how much better this was than the TV series. They've cut a bunch of characters, scenes and all of the comedy (not that Hakuouki in general has much of it), but the OST, animation and the setting and drama is far better presented.

As someone who played the VN's, I'd rather show this movie to introduce someone to the franchise than the anime.

2 characters is not "a bunch".

More topics from this board

» Why is Chizuru so incompetent?

izzadorkable - Aug 29, 2015

1 by KylaNyx »»
Apr 19, 2017 7:26 PM

» Do I have to watch the show before watching this?

laraes - Feb 22, 2015

2 by laraes »»
Feb 24, 2015 10:07 AM

» What is this about

Starlet79 - Feb 26, 2014

5 by Reyna »»
Feb 15, 2015 3:04 PM

» BD release date and sub

TheHollowShrine - Dec 31, 2013

1 by tsubasalover »»
Feb 3, 2014 5:47 PM

» PV @ Comiket 84

tsubasalover - Aug 12, 2013

0 by tsubasalover »»
Aug 12, 2013 5:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.