Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Jan 29, 2013 10:06 AM

Sep 2012
I just saw this movie yesterday, and I've never felt like such a fanboy. I can say without hesitation that this is my favorite movie ever. It probably has something to do with my nostalgia for Digimon, especially Our War Game, but it was the moments that weren't similar to Digimon that really got to me. This is, in fact, the only thing that has made me cry. A couple other things have come close, but this actually brought tears to my eyes several times.
Feb 10, 2013 6:51 PM

Mar 2011
Q_Q

I loved it.
Mar 10, 2013 7:17 AM
Jul 2018

I like the overall story. The concept was awesome. I feel like I want to enter the OZ world too. The first half was a bit boring though enjoyable as well. The second half was really intense. That game between Love Machine vs. Kazma is cool. Then the Koi Koi game with Natsuki.

9/10
Mar 15, 2013 2:05 PM

Dec 2008
Finally I watched this movie.
I really liked it. Story was exactly the same as in Bokura no Wargame, but i had no problem with it.
The graphics were awesome. That Love Machine Monster made out of 40 million accounts?! AWESOME animation.
I will buy this as Blu-Ray for sure.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the names on this list lol

DemiveeMar 15, 2013 2:16 PM
Mar 21, 2013 10:45 AM

Sep 2012
one of the best movie's i'v watched so far!
loved the story,characters etc.. alot!
just a great movie!
Mar 31, 2013 8:52 PM

Jul 2012
Lovely! :) One of the best anime movies, if not the better. I adore the animation! It's freaking epic. Love the concept of the OZ world.

Only reason why I would take one point was that I felt the movie was kind of unrealistic and had some plot holes.

I watched this in dub and will probably rewatch in subs next time. YO! I swear I heard Ash's dub LOL.

9/10
Apr 17, 2013 11:28 AM

Jan 2013
I finished this just now, fricken awesome movie.
Shuhan said:
AzureBlues said:
On the brink of nuclear fall out, with an explicit countdown, everyone decided to sit down and have lunch. I lost it at that point.

Who wants to die on a empty stomach?
Hella funny, and I agree I wouldn't want to die with an empty stomach.
Apr 19, 2013 8:15 PM

Apr 2012
eh, liked the premise but the teen love interest, supergran and bad apple uncle grated on me too much to finish it. Just too convenient especially with ANOTHER computer whizzkid also under the same roof.

I think I've seen enough out-of-control-AI anime before to not have to see this one through.

(didn't help it was a dub on TV)
Apr 20, 2013 12:21 PM

Dec 2012
Great movie! Had my eyes glued to the screen the entire time >.<

9/10
Apr 23, 2013 8:53 PM

Oct 2011
I have to say this is a straight 10 for me. That was really an amazing movie. The only thing I have to ask is "why did everyone know the rules of that game?" I have never heard of that game and then out of nowhere people from around the world cheered for Natsuki as they knew what was going on. xD
I liked how the Grandmother told Kenji to take care of her. Too bad that we didn't see much of him taking care of her, that would have been good to advance their relationship a bit. And I'm sad that they didn't kiss in the end and that they gave him such an extrem nosebleed (and then only because of a kiss on the cheek) and let him faint, that was stupid.

Their family sure is amazing. xD They all seem to work as someone really important or they do something to save lives.
I think the movie showed how dangerous the internet and giant communities where everyone is able to do the most important things. There will be those kind of communites, maybe not in the near future, but it will definitely come and that will bring a high danger.
But how can they manage things like nukes and satellites with that? xD Are they stupid? Even the American president has an account?

I think around 20 minutes before the end I asked myself what Kenji was there for because he didn't really do anything until then. Well, he was able to hack into the system 3 times within 13 minutes where almost everyone is unable to even try hacking it, and then doing it in his head within 2 minutes, holy shit. xD

Great art, great story and many good characters. I'm not ashamed to call this a masterpiece.
Apr 24, 2013 6:35 PM
May 2012
I'm not going to lie, I thought Kazuma was a girl for the first hour of the movie..
but anyway that movie was really great, I almost stopped watching at the beginning but I am glad I didn't!
May 5, 2013 7:54 PM

Nov 2011
Thoroughly enjoyable. If you liked this movie, I urge you to seek out a book called Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
May 13, 2013 5:41 PM

May 2013
I loved this movie. The concept was very unique--like a breath of fresh air!
Arisu
May 30, 2013 1:55 AM

Oct 2012
what is this??? another digimon movie (our war game)?
masterpiece what??? are you kidding? the story is not original. i kinda disappointed. because it's like they were too lazy to make another concept story different from digimon. My suggestion probably you should watch digimon bokura no war game after this... because too many people still didn't know which one the first and original, of course this movie animation is great but imo

Digimon Adventure: Bokura no War Game > Summer wars.
ryshinMay 30, 2013 2:25 AM

May 30, 2013 6:06 AM

Nov 2011
ryshin said:
masterpiece what??? are you kidding? the story is not original. i kinda disappointed. because it's like they were too lazy to make another concept story different from digimon. My suggestion probably you should watch digimon bokura no war game after this... because too many people still didn't know which one the first and original, of course this movie animation is great but imo

Somebody missed the point of this movie.
May 30, 2013 6:42 AM

Oct 2012
neontaster said:
ryshin said:

thank you, do as you like...

Jun 1, 2013 4:04 AM

Nov 2012
neontaster said:
typical answer of fanboys

It's 1st anime I rate lower than 5 - (3/10) I dont belive it's 80 in ranking... I just saw everything I hate to see.
Jun 1, 2013 9:02 AM

Nov 2011
Krunchy said:
neontaster said:

It's 1st anime I rate lower than 5 - (3/10) I dont belive it's 80 in ranking... I just saw everything I hate to see.

Fanboy? He compared it to fucking Digimon. This is a movie about family, about the contrast between old and new society, about courage. It's not fucking pokemon, and considering your favorite anime, I would have thought you'd know better...
Jun 1, 2013 9:57 AM

Jun 2012
neontaster said:
Krunchy said:
neontaster said:

Fanboy? He compared it to fucking Digimon. This is a movie about family, about the contrast between old and new society, about courage. It's not fucking pokemon, and considering your favorite anime, I would have thought you'd know better...

I didn't get the impression, that the anime focuses on anything especially.
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Jun 1, 2013 9:00 PM

Oct 2012
Krunchy said:
neontaster said:

pretty much agree, but it's not that i hate this anime, it just i really disappointed with this anime...

neontaster said:

are you just want to pick a fight or something??? even you haven't watched it but you just mocking at something unnecessary... just shut up! if you don't understand the thing what i said before.

Jun 4, 2013 5:24 PM

Mar 2012
This one was thoroughly entertaining, and that's basically the point of watching animes and movies, to be entertaining. While I have seen some of the concepts of this movie in different TV series, I think it was great.

9/10

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 10, 2013 9:44 AM

Jul 2012
neontaster said:

^ this
Jun 10, 2013 9:47 AM

Jan 2013
The same director used the same plot device, which deserves to be blamed, of course. Other than that, it's a okay movie.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 12, 2013 1:14 PM

Mar 2010
it was really good,i wish i could understand that card game
Jun 18, 2013 1:02 AM

Aug 2012
i decided to watch this movie after i learned that Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is the character designer, the mangaka of Evangelion and the one who made character design for TGWLTT. To be honest, at first i didn't have much expectation for this movie, but i was wrong.

I can say that this is one of the most enjoyable movie i've ever seen. The importance of Bonds / relationships. I think that is what this movie tried to tell us about.

- I really love how the family and almost every OZ users were working together.

- I hate Natsuki at first because she used Kenji and didn't really care about him until Kenji got arrested. But she was doing great from halfway to the end of the movie, and my opinion on her changed.

- I felt trolled by Kenji at the end of the movie, i wanna see them kiss, but He got severe nosebleed. Wimp XD

- Grandma is the star of the movie. I learned so many positive things from this character.

- almost all the seiyuu had done a great job.

- Now i begin to grow a little interest in math... just a little. uhm, maybe not.

for me personally Summer Wars is slightly better than TGWLTT in term of enjoyment, but both are masterpieces.

9/10
ChoroshiJun 21, 2013 9:26 AM

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jul 8, 2013 12:27 PM

Jun 2011
ok movie. OZ fights were enjoyable :P
Jul 18, 2013 5:24 PM
Apr 2013
And the award of unnecessarily epic endings goes to...
Jul 23, 2013 11:33 AM
May 2012
I really liked their grandmother's place it looks awesome I hope that place is real so I can visit it someday.

The movie is good I enjoyed it I'm glad I watched it before my birthday since It's their grandmother's birthday too.
Aug 5, 2013 1:17 PM

Jul 2012
One of my favorite anime movies of all time!!!
Aug 9, 2013 2:23 PM

Apr 2010
MC wasn't even necessary in this movie. In the end they could just evacuate and only their house would be blown to pieces.
And this Hollywood ending. MC saves the day in the last minute.
Overall it was good movie.
Aug 17, 2013 6:54 AM

Aug 2012
Great movie ....i felt like i was a part of the family.
Aug 26, 2013 1:12 AM

Oct 2012
I saw this on con recently and it was good thing to watch there. It has some flaws (mainly VR design and pacing) but overall it was heartwarming story about loss and family bonds.
Aug 26, 2013 6:08 AM
Mar 2013
one of the best movie i ever watched.9/10 for this movie i dont give it a 10 cos the ending kinda childlish lol i prefer they had alone moment than all the family scene for the kiss.but its not like it was bad that nose bleed is funny lol.
Aug 27, 2013 9:10 PM

Jun 2011
Great film! Enough said!
Sep 3, 2013 2:15 AM

Jun 2012
Wow, that was truly amazing, so many epic moments towards the end! I had the chills at some points xD One of the most memorable endings I've ever seen, so many close calls!
The best scene was the fight b/w Kazuma and Love Machine, the animation was so good. I loled when I saw Kazuma's father using the DS to fight Love Machine xD
I don't even know what the card game is, but it was pretty epic anyway!
, and I still don't even know what exactly OZ is xD

9/10.

If Kazuma was a girl, I'd fall for her xD but seriously, his avatar was so cool.
Yasu-kunSep 3, 2013 2:21 AM

Sep 9, 2013 6:04 AM

Jan 2013
wayyy better than I expected
Oct 30, 2013 2:44 AM
Oct 2012
Very entertaining. Great mix of drama, suspense, comedy and action. Pretty much shows the danger of overdependence to technology.
Nov 8, 2013 11:01 AM

Dec 2012
gino_san said:
Great movie ....i felt like i was a part of the family.

Yeah me too!!! Big families are the best :)
Dec 8, 2013 8:53 PM

Feb 2013
I wish I could have seen this movie on the big screen...would have been incredible.
Dec 14, 2013 11:29 PM
Jul 2012
Hmm.Good movie with excellent art but I think the ending it`s too predictible or wasn`t feeling like a good ending even I know everyone will be save. And the beginning was not intersting but after the hack scene, it drew me in on wanting to keep on watching it.
Good things is the fight with some creature.
7.5/10
Dec 15, 2013 2:31 AM

Jul 2013
Watch this on Toonami, and it was a pretty good movie overall. The characters were enjoyable especially the families, the animation and art were fluid, the story was engaging, and some good action scenes. Though I would expect more action scenes and some romance development for Natsuki and Kenji. Also the ending was good though it felt a bit off about the kissing scene and there victory.

9/10 great movie overall.

Dec 15, 2013 2:51 AM

Jun 2009
Saw this on Toonami. I was told for the past two months to watch this but ignored it. I'm so glad Toonami aired this. The plot was great the fluidity was smooth so was the transactions. Though it had a large amount of characters, the movie was enjoyable and none were cast out to the background. I often found myself yelling at the screen.

That German kid!! T_T That was such a beautiful moment.

9.2/10 Would watch again and buy.
Dec 15, 2013 2:58 AM

Sep 2012
damn!!!! what a masterpiece <3
私の力はあなたの理解を超えています
Jan 11, 2014 3:57 PM

Nov 2013
Meh.

Seriously meh.

The whole Oz thing looks so much like some childish nonsense crap universe. And the acting was terribad.

"Oh my god a nuclear power plant is gonna explode and the whole world is gonna die (wtf lol humanity died with tchernobyl then???) because I'm watching my nephew fighting a big monster on his computer and no one really understand what is this shit but I won't be able to watch my favorite TV show"

The ending reminded me of something a great great man said once :
- Hey boss. The audience is beginning to think about the inconsistent plot!
- What are you waiting for? THROW MORE SPARKLE AND EXPLOSIONS !

Plus it lacked ponys.
Jan 18, 2014 10:54 PM

May 2012
it was ok.. i just dont like the oz part..
i like all the family theme, its really nice to have a big family like that..

Jan 21, 2014 8:10 PM

Mar 2013
I feel like lately I've become one of those scrooges that feels like every single anime I watch is contrived and forced; these are the exact same people I've always hated because they would just complain about everything.

While watching this movie, I couldn't help but feeling the the characters were shallow and the plot was predictable/ laughable...

But fuck all that, this movie is damned awesome. Those previous mentioned facets might have been screwed up, but this movie delivers where it matters most, enjoyment. I loved Summer Wars and would definitely watch it again/ be hyped about any follow up material.

8.5/10
Jan 30, 2014 10:33 PM

Jul 2012
Great film with some good stuff about family and mutual trust, liked that.
Feb 6, 2014 2:19 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Prefer Wolf Children, but this movie was great. 9/10 KOI KOI!

Feb 15, 2014 8:29 PM

Dec 2013
Dark_Messiah said:
it was ok.. i just dont like the oz part..
i like all the family theme, its really nice to have a big family like that..

same, i felt like the whole oz thing was kind of lame
Mar 18, 2014 7:52 AM

Jun 2011
I just adore this movie. ^__^ So many years have passed and its still on my Top 5. Not to mention, the fact that it was directed from the same dude that directed Digimon Adventures. That only makes me love it more!
Hope that Hosoda Mamoru will keep up the good work with his future films (which he did, actually, directing Wolf Children). :D
LuckyAlixMar 18, 2014 7:58 AM
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

» Is it good?

kam1n0 - Nov 13, 2021

20 by domine »»
Oct 31, 2022 5:46 PM

» Metaverse

BeholdTheSkipper - Jan 5, 2022

1 by GabyShimizu »»
Jan 5, 2022 12:05 PM

» By Math Olympics, did they mean Kenji is a possible IMO qualifier?

Uji_Gintoki_Bowl - Aug 23, 2021

1 by DuSK_iKaISeR »»
Aug 23, 2021 1:49 PM

» Man it's been 11 year since it's realise

Sam_Emon - Apr 1, 2020

0 by Sam_Emon »»
Apr 1, 2020 9:26 AM

» Is Summer Wars Any Good?

Atomsk_ - May 1, 2014

31 by Monarch9 »»
Mar 8, 2020 8:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.