Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Feb 27, 2011 9:08 AM

Jun 2009
Woah that was so cool. I like the OZ world, it was really interesting. Overall it was great! 9/10.

Mar 6, 2011 9:53 PM

Jan 2009
Really awesome movie, it wasn't anything to special, just a movie, but I really enjoyed it. Was a fun ride with stunning animation, glad I sat down and watched this. 7/10
Mar 8, 2011 8:28 AM

Aug 2007
haha, I thought the premise and art looked familiar, who would have thought he directed that Digimon movie.

But anyway, this came out of no where, just stunned me. Like this was seriously a really fucking good movie.

Mar 18, 2011 11:00 PM

Aug 2010
Very entertaining watch. Had me smiling throughout the whole thing. The characters were likable and you can sort of feel that family vibe out of them. The plot wasn't anything amazing but it was simple enough to catch my attention. The satirical effect it has on social networking was amusing.

Overall, I really liked this movie. Art, music, visuals, they were all great!

9/10
Apr 2, 2011 5:51 AM

Jul 2010
Great, entertaining movie. I did not have any expectations before watching this movie, so I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be extremely enjoyable. I tend to be a bit more lenient when rating movies compared to a series, but nevertheless, Summer Days is worth an 8.5/10 from me.
Will you be able to do.... what must be done?

Apr 6, 2011 3:52 AM

Apr 2011
The anime was amazing, I loved it so much I actually had to download the sountrack!
Who's your favourite character?
Apr 9, 2011 2:05 AM

Oct 2008
Great movie, I'm pretty surprised.

Just loved the animation.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 23, 2011 1:22 PM

Dec 2009
Thought this was good. Somewhere between a 6 & 7 /10 for me. I liked the girl who leaped through time much better. I didn't really like the Americanized animation in the Oz world but the rest of it was similar to girl who leaped through time. They jammed quite a lot into 2 hours.
Such junk...
Apr 27, 2011 1:52 AM

Sep 2010
Veronin said:
Kind of disappointing though from all the people recommending it.

^ I was about to say that.
But it was nice.
May 28, 2011 10:06 AM

Dec 2008
Really worth watching! Sorta makes you think about what could sorta go wrong in the future if we continue to rely on technology as much as we do.

Overall, gave it a 7/10.

May 28, 2011 10:32 AM

Apr 2011
loved it !
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ 
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ
May 29, 2011 1:45 AM

Jan 2009
N Log [N] did a great job with their subs. I would say it was a 8.5 as well.
Jun 14, 2011 12:03 PM
Jan 2010
Veronin said:
Eh, it was decent. Kind of disappointing though from all the people recommending it. I was expecting more, but it's not like it was bad or anything.

This. I could foresee almost everything that was going to happen, it was so predictable. And the mc is such an annoying loser. Stop blushing for fuck's sake.
Jun 19, 2011 9:23 AM

Jun 2009
It was great. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it with all the OZ and stuff.

Good mix of drama, comedy and romance. There's also moral lesson that comes from this movie about the importance of family.

lol at the grandma's picture in the end.
Jun 23, 2011 4:03 PM

Aug 2010
I didn't really like some parts but overall it was an entertainment. The BGM was really the only think I got into but everything else was predictable because I've seen it many times.
Jun 24, 2011 12:28 AM

Sep 2009
This was a pretty enjoyable movie. A nice change from the usual TV anime.
Jul 7, 2011 10:42 PM

Aug 2008
Reading all the thread and watching the movie twice, or even thrice (after fixing troubles with annoying encoded sound that matches my computer capacity but lack of a proper sound system (speakers)) proved me that when you download, watch and criticise a new anime you need to keep your eyes, ears and mind open to anything that could come with the time you'll invest giving the movie a chance to ENTERTAIN you for a few hours.

Why compare it... match it with old films, or with a seriously similar film of the same media type, or why expecting something just as good as a previous work from the same director... Honestly I didn't watch this film 'cause the director was the same of TokiKake, nor because I knew something similar was already made by the same director and wanted to watch it, but watched it because it had really good reviews and really good credentials and references, and after all it was nominated as Best Animated Film once in the Oscars, so it had to be a really good movie... And they're not wrong. It is a good movie. Not a masterpiece but a really really good movie

But still ignoring all the premises I knew of, I downloaded and gave myself that chance to enjoy it and I really did and had fun twice, and certainly I don't feel sorry for wasting 2gigs of my main hard drive memory for two different versions of and having to sync both of them to get the right timing for the audio to work but all the troubles are worth all the enjoyment I had watching this movie

The whole thing is a bit far-fetched but in a few years time it will be plausible in this world. Let's face it, although many don't wanna accept it but Social Networks, but especially the internet influence is expanding all over the world and someday its/their influence will be just as powerful shown in the film. It will control like everything... Services, Communication, Ways... everything. It's scary but it's due to happen... And what to do when that happens... Don't severe the old ties that bound us. Grandma Sakae showed us that even when you're old and have nothing and can't do nothing yourself to help out to sort this problem out, you can always try to support the others and give them the spirit, the will to keep on going and turn around the situation in your favour...

The story and plot department was the one that certainly lacked the most but the execution and development of the whole thing was nice. The problematic and also the solution lying in just one family (a huge one by the way) is just way too unrealistic and improbable, but casting aside such huge "mistake" you can understand how the plot is developed

One thing is true... the pair that introduced us to the Jinnouchi were a little but underdeveloped.... three things pretty much... How come they met? Why she talks to them, compy geeks, while she's the most popular girl of the school? And why she insisted to take one of them and then present one of them as her boyfriend and fiance to her grandma? Couldn't she choose someone more appealing good looking? In the end turned out to be a good boyfriend material for HER and even Grandma approved of him... But still they were a bit ignored... but they still shone through the film and had their good moments, together and apart... Like their kiss at the end... or when they hold hands for the first time after Grandma dies, or when he had the horrible look to see her naked just after she finished taking a bath xD

Or alone when he made all his magick and kinda saved the world and his own butt and his soon to be family's too slightly changing the coalition course of the Satellite or when he almost solved the code... all alone... Too bad he had a little mistake... a letter! LOLOL... She had her moments but even Grandma herself said it, she's immature, naive and self-centred but when she played Hanafuda with all her might was cool enough to be regarded as a decent character

Other thing I hardly believed was Wabisuke, and unrecognised son of the family, was the one that developed that thing... Love Machine... Pretty nice name by the way, nice characterisation and overall explanation of his actions and reasons... i do really liked the antagonist this time... The time will come and such thing will sooner or later appear in this world... so a world as featured on Terminator Saga will happen... And a form of Skynet will be Love Machine~~ LOL.. Anyway... Wabisuke... such an ungrateful and selfish jerk... in the end turned out to be loyal to Grandma paid respects to her and saved the world together with his family...

Natsuki's family was pretty awesome... all kinds of personalities and forms and every kind of people living under the same roof... Was really an interesting sight.... Who wouldn't like to be part of such family... I'd like to be, and well it's half my case... I'm missing a fishing uncle or something like that... Oh and also Public service, but still... it's interesting to see such family. And some may say it's exaggerated, but to me looks possible since they're all part of an old respected and extended Clan of the region... and you know Japan is ruled by costumes and habits and all that kind of traditions that are passed down the generations and well the Jinnouchi aren't the exception... Really liked how the picture of the family was developed and explained and also the base of all of it was throughoutly explained so I don't mind them having a SuperComputer in stock or being able to use a Military Antenna or such things... It's a nice story, unfortunately not flawless

In the Art and Sound Departments I have no problem with them... Really loved the flow-y animation, both 2D and 3D CGI.... The opening really takes you back and surprises you since you don't expect to see such thing at the beginning, but prety much showed us what MADHOUSE is able to and proved us that they can match the animations of such studios as Pixar. the mix between 2D and 3D was exciting and loved to see them converge and flow together. Fit together.

Regarding the sound, SFX, BGMs and Voice acting I can't say much... If I hadn't read some other reviews I wouldn't have known that the main VAs (Natsuki and Kenji) were rookies I wouldn't have noticed before... Really they made an awesome work there. Everyone did a great work, even the damned dog was skilled and sounded like a real Dog... maybe someone recorded a dog barking, but you could hear it perfectly well and say unmistakingly that's a dog! xD Maybe the voices and the SFXs clashed a bit here and there but it was all part of the magnific and big impact the director wanted to deliver, and I don't really mind that much, but I think the sound department was really well done.

Aside from all the technical stuff of the film, I was surprised too to see various brands being featured on the film... BMW, Mazda, Toyota, Sony, Dell to name a few... really really surprised they did that... How was that possible, who knows, but it was a nice touch of reality :P

A really good film that deserved to be nominated for an Oscar and one that deserves a 9 out of 10 from me (Very Good) Congratulations to the makers!

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 3, 2011 8:41 AM

Feb 2011
Superultramegacalifragilisticwonderfulwhatisthisidontevenknow!!!

The best!!
Aug 4, 2011 4:50 PM

Jun 2011
An enjoyable movie. I really liked the characters in the family.

I give 9 out of 10.
Aug 6, 2011 10:04 PM

Mar 2011
Veronin said:
Eh, it was decent. Kind of disappointing though from all the people recommending it. I was expecting more, but it's not like it was bad or anything.

6/10

Yeah I remember being all hyped about watching this due to all the acclaim. I ended up being thoroughly disappointed. >:(

It was too... corny for me, for lack of a better word.
Aug 11, 2011 6:45 PM

Jan 2011
It was cool, i think i gave it an 8/10?
Just makes me think "if" facebook will be like Oz.
Aug 28, 2011 1:23 AM

Aug 2011
Loved it. Didn't betray my expectation. Watching Summer Wars in Summer was very good decision, I guess. ^^ Very memorable. So many things to discuss, but I'll let them be in my blog post.
Aug 29, 2011 10:46 AM

Jul 2011
One of my favorite ))

Kenji's squirrel avatar is funny :D
Sep 5, 2011 3:11 AM

Aug 2009
AHHHH!!! 10/10 I LOVED IT!!!!

This was such a cool movie!

If you think about it, the whole Oz thing looks kinda fun! xD

but ANYWAY, CUTE AND WONDERFUL MOVIE!!! 10000/10! :D

Sep 8, 2011 8:18 AM
Feb 2011
It wasn't a bad movie, but a tad overhyped in my opinion. My expectations were way too high because of all the acclaim.
Natsuki's voice was a bit weird and it took me some time before I got used to it. Also, why didn't they just shut down OZ's servers? If an AI is going on a rampage in OZ, they should've just shut everything down and that satellite would never have been a danger to anyone. Where were all the game's admins? And wasn't that AI programmed to just gather knowledge in the first place?

I can't choose between 8 or 9 for this anime, but since this could be because of the disappointment, I think I'll put 8 for this first watch and see how it holds up next time.
Sep 26, 2011 7:06 PM
Jun 2008
I gave this movie an easy 9/10 - Pretty fun to watch and all the characters are great!
Sep 27, 2011 3:56 AM
Jul 2011
It's was a good movie, not mind-blowing or anything but the execution was nice and it's something nice to watch on downtime. They did a nice job of with making the family seem all lively and believable. 8/10 stuff.

I didn't even see the Digimon movie everyone reference it too and still got Digimon vibes from it, haha.

I really preferred whole "awkward family tension" theme that the movie had going for it when Grandma was alive. When it started to get more into cyber wars, while impressive to watch (one of the most epic card game match ever), most of the soul of the movie was gone for me. You could say the movie died a little when Grandma kicked the bucket...

Anyways I really got irritated by the Kenji in the end, cmon guy you save the frickin world stop nosebleeding and blushing so much. Meh despite that I thought Kenji was too good for Natsuki anyways, she used him for most of the movie and even ignored him when Uncle came around who she preferred anyways at the beginning.

She didn't really like him until he played that big part in saving the world and then saving Natsuki's household, of course you gonna think highly of someone who saved the world. Kenji deserves better but Natsuki was his old crush so hooray for him I guess, he got what he wanted. That whole confession scene in the end was lame.
Oct 10, 2011 2:19 PM

Jun 2009
Really amazing movie!! It has a brilliant story plot. The Grandma was really funny, i mean; SHE IS CRAZY! Like really... Though she died. lol
Koi-koi game looks boring, guess I'll never try that in my life, if someone try to teach me how then why not? Kenji, is awesome. Figuring something out in head is crazy >.>
And:
>dat family

Really coolish movie 10/10

Oct 18, 2011 4:38 AM

Jan 2010
This doesn't play on traditional values in a way you might think. Instead, it mixes them with modern day lifestyle and serves them together with creatively animated koi-koi action. Made me a koi-koi fan, it did.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Oct 25, 2011 11:15 AM

Mar 2007
I had trouble taking this film seriously. As a person a few posts above noted, if this happened in real life, the servers would be simply shut down and voila, problem fixed.

It wasn't a bad film but it wasn't ANYWHERE near as good as Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo.
Oct 26, 2011 3:10 PM

Aug 2010
It was cute, the characters were rather bland though.
6/10.
Dec 14, 2011 12:27 PM

Aug 2010
Wow. I loved the film. I saw it on TV, and I was very impressed. The animation for OZ is gorgeous and very well-done, and I liked the human character designs.

I liked the family parts more than I thought I would, and the fight scenes, when they happened, were very good. The ending kept me at the end of my seat, and the part where the Grandma dies was very sad. Truly an amazing film.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Dec 20, 2011 11:17 PM

Feb 2010
really really enjoyable movie,brilliant,epic and amazing!
10/10 for me probably the best movie after Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu (for me)
btw,i love King Kazma/Kazuma he is the best character!

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Feb 3, 2012 8:14 PM

Dec 2009
Although very well done in it's own right, Summer Wars is basically War Games, a live action movie from the early 80s (starring Matthew Broderick & Ally Sheedy):

PARALLELS:
Kenji & Natsuki = David & Jennifer
Wabisaki = Falken
Love Machine/OZ = Joshua/WOPR
Threat of WWIII via distruction of nuclear reactors = Threat of WWIII via "Global Thermonuclear War"
Hanafuda = Tic Tac Toe

I'm not being critical. As I said, Summer Wars was well done; it's just not all that original. I also have the feeling that a large percentage of Summer Wars' viewers weren't even glints in their daddies' eyes back in '83, the year War Games was released.
Feb 3, 2012 8:25 PM

Jan 2012
I really enjoyed this movie! I thought it was well done! OZ kind of reminded me of Facebook, the way so many people are connected, not the entire world or governments, but still.
Feb 19, 2012 10:52 AM

Apr 2010
AMAZING MOVIE!!!! I just watched it and I was blew away by how well it was done, and how entertaining it was. Definitely a 10/10 for me. I loved it so much, this is the kind of movie I could watch over and over again and never get tired of.
Mar 4, 2012 5:47 PM

Jun 2011
I fell in love with main characters. I loved this film.
Apr 20, 2012 12:31 AM

Aug 2011
Reminds me of that Digimon movie I watched when I was a kid with that cheesy final battle.

7/10
May 6, 2012 5:37 AM
May 2012
I just watched it, I really enjoyed it. If was wondering if there was a movie with the same "history" in it? :-)
May 24, 2012 12:22 AM

Sep 2009
Danielsan said:
I just watched it, I really enjoyed it. If was wondering if there was a movie with the same "history" in it? :-)

History?
The movie is heavily heavily influenced by the movie War Games.
A great movie to watch, especially for those of us who are techs. Mindblowing where technology has come and gone.
May 24, 2012 12:26 AM

Sep 2009
Just so much greatness about this movie.

I never get this whole.
"WE DONE SEEN THIS PLOT BEFORE. LOOOOOL."
Especially in the realm of technology, things change. Updates to the story should happen. It's happened for thousands of years.

It's essentially Digimon having a baby with the movie War Games...and that isn't a bad thing. The end product is something that is generally very family friendly and enjoyable.
The plot seemed to be relatively easy to follow, even for my fairly techno-illiterate grandmother.

The artwork was gorgeous. It blended hand drawn animation and CGI in a very pleasing mannerism.

Music was perhaps the weaker point. As great as it was during the movie, I have already forgotten it. But it fit all the scenes very well. Suiting the mode, without interuping the suspense.
Jun 7, 2012 9:00 PM
May 2009
Sabinlerose said:

"WE DONE SEEN THIS PLOT BEFORE. LOOOOOL."

It's essentially Digimon having a baby with the movie War Games...and that isn't a bad thing. The end product is something that is generally very family friendly and enjoyable.

Well, the director of Digimon: Bokura no War Games is the same that did Summer Wars. Back in the day when Hosoda was just directing other people's movies he had this idea for Digimon but they didn't give him enough liberty to do so. Now after a few years he's doing his own movies, so he decided to make Summer Wars everything he wanted Digimon:Bokura no War Games to be, with no limitations what so ever. The result was amazing. =D
Jun 24, 2012 7:17 PM

Jun 2011
Gen2K_ said:
I thought Kenji was too good for Natsuki anyways, she used him for most of the movie and even ignored him when Uncle came around who she preferred anyways at the beginning.

Of course you gonna think highly of someone who saved the world.

True, he really deserves better...

I found all of the men to be refreshing characters, and helpful in the scheme of things. Wabisuke was a bit of a bug though... I felt for him when he had that flashback, that was it. Shouta was ughhhh. All of the female characters were annoying, loud, and in the way xD

Grandma didn't play around though. She was a gem. I also loved Kazuma in both personality and fight scenes. Kenji's mental code-breaking was sick. Hanafuda was anticlimactic mostly because Natsuki was playing. OZ was a cute world, and the family theme always wins me over. Overall I give it an 8/10.
Jul 19, 2012 2:39 AM

Nov 2011
On the brink of nuclear fall out, with an explicit countdown, everyone decided to sit down and have lunch. I lost it at that point.
Jul 19, 2012 9:27 AM

Jun 2010
I sat down to watch a few of my favourite scenes and ended up watching the whole thing from beginning to end yet again. I love this movie. The whole "saving the world" thing might be overdoing it but the main theme is the one that always gets to me for some reason, even in the smallest amounts.

I don't enjoy the more popular Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo as much as I enjoy Summer Wars, because screw romance, give me a FAMILY! Probably why CLANNADs are the best anything ever for me, though I'm literally afraid to watch them again as every single episode breaks my heart several times. With Summer Wars I don't have that problem, but I do cry Manly Or Not I Don't Care Tears at quite a lot of scenes. Especially the one when Wabisuke learns what happened after he left, his final words to the Grandma being "I shouldn't have come back"... And then "tadaima"... Aaargh, gets me every time! *sob sob*

I never saw the Digimon movie in question but who cares if it's similar? Somebody out there decided to use the same concept better and boy was it a right decision!
Jul 19, 2012 9:30 AM

Jun 2012
AzureBlues said:
On the brink of nuclear fall out, with an explicit countdown, everyone decided to sit down and have lunch. I lost it at that point.

Who wants to die on a empty stomach?
Jul 22, 2012 4:42 PM

Oct 2010
this was great, i liked how it switched between the real world events and (the world of Oz) this made me anticipate the next events, i liked it from the start, the last 20 minuets took a slight downfall though, it started to get a little cheesy, still it didn't end that badly, and i gave it a 9/10 because every thing other then those 20 minuets was purely fantastic
Jul 27, 2012 6:02 AM
Jul 2018
9/10
Great art and music, the plot flowed well, making so that a 2 hour movie felt complete on its own (having completed Ozuma (6 episodes of 20 mins, almost same length as this movie, the contrast made me even like it more).
The characters were easy to relate. At first I tought the family was too big and that I wouldn't remember half the characters. However they were so well characterised I ended up recognizing them all.
The whole movie is a gem and it's a shame I never heard of it sooner. So going to buy the bluray.
Jul 28, 2012 6:38 PM

Nov 2011
LOL, that grandma is such a boss when putting Kenji on the spot about the "husband-to be" XD and later on with that spear. But she...later :(...

It seems that there's some problems with Wabisuke with the family members..ah the drama. Also, pretty funny when Natsuki's "first crush" was revealed. That fucking priceless face ~_~

And damn, what a boss fight in the virtual world. Anyways, great movie.
Jul 30, 2012 3:00 PM
Mar 2010
Finally watched this after month of saying I will - It was amazing, really enjoyable and definitely saw the similarities to the first Digimon movie.
As I watched this with friends we ended up watching the dub, which surprised me in actually being done really well. However, I can't wait to watch a HD subbed version sometime.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it good?

kam1n0 - Nov 13, 2021

20 by domine »»
Oct 31, 2022 5:46 PM

» Metaverse

BeholdTheSkipper - Jan 5, 2022

1 by GabyShimizu »»
Jan 5, 2022 12:05 PM

» By Math Olympics, did they mean Kenji is a possible IMO qualifier?

Uji_Gintoki_Bowl - Aug 23, 2021

1 by DuSK_iKaISeR »»
Aug 23, 2021 1:49 PM

» Man it's been 11 year since it's realise

Sam_Emon - Apr 1, 2020

0 by Sam_Emon »»
Apr 1, 2020 9:26 AM

» Is Summer Wars Any Good?

Atomsk_ - May 1, 2014

31 by Monarch9 »»
Mar 8, 2020 8:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.