Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Post New Reply
Poll: Summer Wars Discussion

Aug 6, 2011 10:04 PM

Veronin said:
Eh, it was decent. Kind of disappointing though from all the people recommending it. I was expecting more, but it's not like it was bad or anything.

Yeah I remember being all hyped about watching this due to all the acclaim. I ended up being thoroughly disappointed. >:(

It was too... corny for me, for lack of a better word.
Aug 11, 2011 6:45 PM

It was cool, i think i gave it an 8/10?
Just makes me think "if" facebook will be like Oz.
Aug 28, 2011 1:23 AM

Loved it. Didn't betray my expectation. Watching Summer Wars in Summer was very good decision, I guess. ^^ Very memorable. So many things to discuss, but I'll let them be in my blog post.
Aug 29, 2011 10:46 AM

One of my favorite ))

Kenji's squirrel avatar is funny :D
Sep 5, 2011 3:11 AM

AHHHH!!! 10/10 I LOVED IT!!!!

This was such a cool movie!

If you think about it, the whole Oz thing looks kinda fun! xD

Please like my cosplay Facebook Fanpage ; u ; (I shall give you hugs if you do! ; 3 ;)
Sep 8, 2011 8:18 AM

It wasn't a bad movie, but a tad overhyped in my opinion. My expectations were way too high because of all the acclaim.
Natsuki's voice was a bit weird and it took me some time before I got used to it. Also, why didn't they just shut down OZ's servers? If an AI is going on a rampage in OZ, they should've just shut everything down and that satellite would never have been a danger to anyone. Where were all the game's admins? And wasn't that AI programmed to just gather knowledge in the first place?

I can't choose between 8 or 9 for this anime, but since this could be because of the disappointment, I think I'll put 8 for this first watch and see how it holds up next time.
Sep 26, 2011 7:06 PM

I gave this movie an easy 9/10 - Pretty fun to watch and all the characters are great!
Sep 27, 2011 3:56 AM

It's was a good movie, not mind-blowing or anything but the execution was nice and it's something nice to watch on downtime. They did a nice job of with making the family seem all lively and believable. 8/10 stuff.

I didn't even see the Digimon movie everyone reference it too and still got Digimon vibes from it, haha.

I really preferred whole "awkward family tension" theme that the movie had going for it when Grandma was alive. When it started to get more into cyber wars, while impressive to watch (one of the most epic card game match ever), most of the soul of the movie was gone for me. You could say the movie died a little when Grandma kicked the bucket...

Anyways I really got irritated by the Kenji in the end, cmon guy you save the frickin world stop nosebleeding and blushing so much. Meh despite that I thought Kenji was too good for Natsuki anyways, she used him for most of the movie and even ignored him when Uncle came around who she preferred anyways at the beginning.

She didn't really like him until he played that big part in saving the world and then saving Natsuki's household, of course you gonna think highly of someone who saved the world. Kenji deserves better but Natsuki was his old crush so hooray for him I guess, he got what he wanted. That whole confession scene in the end was lame.
Oct 10, 2011 2:19 PM

Really amazing movie!! It has a brilliant story plot. The Grandma was really funny, i mean; SHE IS CRAZY! Like really... Though she died. lol
Koi-koi game looks boring, guess I'll never try that in my life, if someone try to teach me how then why not? Kenji, is awesome. Figuring something out in head is crazy >.>
>dat family

Really coolish movie 10/10

Oct 18, 2011 4:38 AM

This doesn't play on traditional values in a way you might think. Instead, it mixes them with modern day lifestyle and serves them together with creatively animated koi-koi action. Made me a koi-koi fan, it did.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: <a href=""></a&gt;
Oct 25, 2011 11:15 AM

I had trouble taking this film seriously. As a person a few posts above noted, if this happened in real life, the servers would be simply shut down and voila, problem fixed.

It wasn't a bad film but it wasn't ANYWHERE near as good as Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo.
Oct 26, 2011 3:10 PM

It was cute, the characters were rather bland though.
Dec 14, 2011 12:27 PM

Wow. I loved the film. I saw it on TV, and I was very impressed. The animation for OZ is gorgeous and very well-done, and I liked the human character designs.

I liked the family parts more than I thought I would, and the fight scenes, when they happened, were very good. The ending kept me at the end of my seat, and the part where the Grandma dies was very sad. Truly an amazing film.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Dec 20, 2011 11:17 PM

really really enjoyable movie,brilliant,epic and amazing!
10/10 for me probably the best movie after Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu (for me)
btw,i love King Kazma/Kazuma he is the best character!

"since im always win always right...." Akashi Seijuuro-Captain
Jan 10, 2012 9:42 PM

8/10 For me. Hahaha I laugh at some parts like. who uses a Dell to do something that important. And that Sony All in One XD. Overall a very good movie.
Feb 3, 2012 8:14 PM

Although very well done in it's own right, Summer Wars is basically War Games, a live action movie from the early 80s (starring Matthew Broderick & Ally Sheedy):

Kenji & Natsuki = David & Jennifer
Wabisaki = Falken
Love Machine/OZ = Joshua/WOPR
Threat of WWIII via distruction of nuclear reactors = Threat of WWIII via "Global Thermonuclear War"
Hanafuda = Tic Tac Toe

I'm not being critical. As I said, Summer Wars was well done; it's just not all that original. I also have the feeling that a large percentage of Summer Wars' viewers weren't even glints in their daddies' eyes back in '83, the year War Games was released.
Feb 3, 2012 8:25 PM

I really enjoyed this movie! I thought it was well done! OZ kind of reminded me of Facebook, the way so many people are connected, not the entire world or governments, but still.
Feb 19, 2012 10:52 AM

AMAZING MOVIE!!!! I just watched it and I was blew away by how well it was done, and how entertaining it was. Definitely a 10/10 for me. I loved it so much, this is the kind of movie I could watch over and over again and never get tired of.
Mar 4, 2012 5:47 PM

I fell in love with main characters. I loved this film.
Apr 20, 2012 12:31 AM

Reminds me of that Digimon movie I watched when I was a kid with that cheesy final battle.

May 6, 2012 5:37 AM

I just watched it, I really enjoyed it. If was wondering if there was a movie with the same "history" in it? :-)
May 19, 2012 1:25 PM

Pretty boring apart from the real world scenes. Not my thing.
May 24, 2012 12:22 AM

Danielsan said:
I just watched it, I really enjoyed it. If was wondering if there was a movie with the same "history" in it? :-)

The movie is heavily heavily influenced by the movie War Games.
A great movie to watch, especially for those of us who are techs. Mindblowing where technology has come and gone.
May 24, 2012 12:26 AM

Just so much greatness about this movie.

I never get this whole.
Especially in the realm of technology, things change. Updates to the story should happen. It's happened for thousands of years.

It's essentially Digimon having a baby with the movie War Games...and that isn't a bad thing. The end product is something that is generally very family friendly and enjoyable.
The plot seemed to be relatively easy to follow, even for my fairly techno-illiterate grandmother.

The artwork was gorgeous. It blended hand drawn animation and CGI in a very pleasing mannerism.

Music was perhaps the weaker point. As great as it was during the movie, I have already forgotten it. But it fit all the scenes very well. Suiting the mode, without interuping the suspense.
Jun 7, 2012 9:00 PM

Sabinlerose said:

It's essentially Digimon having a baby with the movie War Games...and that isn't a bad thing. The end product is something that is generally very family friendly and enjoyable.

Well, the director of Digimon: Bokura no War Games is the same that did Summer Wars. Back in the day when Hosoda was just directing other people's movies he had this idea for Digimon but they didn't give him enough liberty to do so. Now after a few years he's doing his own movies, so he decided to make Summer Wars everything he wanted Digimon:Bokura no War Games to be, with no limitations what so ever. The result was amazing. =D
Jun 24, 2012 7:17 PM

Gen2K_ said:
I thought Kenji was too good for Natsuki anyways, she used him for most of the movie and even ignored him when Uncle came around who she preferred anyways at the beginning.

Of course you gonna think highly of someone who saved the world.

True, he really deserves better...

I found all of the men to be refreshing characters, and helpful in the scheme of things. Wabisuke was a bit of a bug though... I felt for him when he had that flashback, that was it. Shouta was ughhhh. All of the female characters were annoying, loud, and in the way xD

Grandma didn't play around though. She was a gem. I also loved Kazuma in both personality and fight scenes. Kenji's mental code-breaking was sick. Hanafuda was anticlimactic mostly because Natsuki was playing. OZ was a cute world, and the family theme always wins me over. Overall I give it an 8/10.
Jul 19, 2012 2:39 AM

On the brink of nuclear fall out, with an explicit countdown, everyone decided to sit down and have lunch. I lost it at that point.
Jul 19, 2012 9:27 AM

I sat down to watch a few of my favourite scenes and ended up watching the whole thing from beginning to end yet again. I love this movie. The whole "saving the world" thing might be overdoing it but the main theme is the one that always gets to me for some reason, even in the smallest amounts.

I don't enjoy the more popular Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo as much as I enjoy Summer Wars, because screw romance, give me a FAMILY! Probably why CLANNADs are the best anything ever for me, though I'm literally afraid to watch them again as every single episode breaks my heart several times. With Summer Wars I don't have that problem, but I do cry Manly Or Not I Don't Care Tears at quite a lot of scenes. Especially the one when Wabisuke learns what happened after he left, his final words to the Grandma being "I shouldn't have come back"... And then "tadaima"... Aaargh, gets me every time! *sob sob*

I never saw the Digimon movie in question but who cares if it's similar? Somebody out there decided to use the same concept better and boy was it a right decision!
Jul 19, 2012 9:30 AM

AzureBlues said:
On the brink of nuclear fall out, with an explicit countdown, everyone decided to sit down and have lunch. I lost it at that point.

Who wants to die on a empty stomach?
Jul 22, 2012 4:42 PM

this was great, i liked how it switched between the real world events and (the world of Oz) this made me anticipate the next events, i liked it from the start, the last 20 minuets took a slight downfall though, it started to get a little cheesy, still it didn't end that badly, and i gave it a 9/10 because every thing other then those 20 minuets was purely fantastic
Cake = :D
"apa" apachai's wise words
Jul 27, 2012 6:02 AM

Great art and music, the plot flowed well, making so that a 2 hour movie felt complete on its own (having completed Ozuma (6 episodes of 20 mins, almost same length as this movie, the contrast made me even like it more).
The characters were easy to relate. At first I tought the family was too big and that I wouldn't remember half the characters. However they were so well characterised I ended up recognizing them all.
The whole movie is a gem and it's a shame I never heard of it sooner. So going to buy the bluray.
Jul 28, 2012 6:38 PM
News Team
LOL, that grandma is such a boss when putting Kenji on the spot about the "husband-to be" XD and later on with that spear. But she...later :(...

It seems that there's some problems with Wabisuke with the family members..ah the drama. Also, pretty funny when Natsuki's "first crush" was revealed. That fucking priceless face ~_~

And damn, what a boss fight in the virtual world. Anyways, great movie.
Jul 30, 2012 3:00 PM

Finally watched this after month of saying I will - It was amazing, really enjoyable and definitely saw the similarities to the first Digimon movie.
As I watched this with friends we ended up watching the dub, which surprised me in actually being done really well. However, I can't wait to watch a HD subbed version sometime.
Aug 11, 2012 8:56 AM

First saw the this trailer, I thought this was lazy recycled stuff from first Digimon movie. Watched this, and I just found this movie to be amazing. Sound was amazing, story was too, theme was amazing, ART was BEAST. I found the ending to be funny. Nice way to end an enjoyable movie :)
Yes. Yes. My avatar is s sheep ._ .
Aug 13, 2012 3:02 AM

Haha I agree with everyone, this does remind me a lot of the Digimon Movie. However, I found this really entertaining. The animation is amazing, like holy shit. The fight scenes in the OZ world were sooooo good. Reminded me of the fight scenes in Bakemonogatari. Very colourful. I love the King Kazuma avatar, bunny-like wearing a jacket. :DD

I actually thought Kazume was a girl for most of the movie lmao. The grandma was such a great character. Shame she died. I didn't really like Natsuki during the movie but towards the end, came to like her. I actually thought that Kenji wouldn't 'shine' at all since Natsuki took the spotlight beating the shit outta that thing in the 'card game'. (ROFL, if only it was Yu-Gi-Oh!), but man him solving those math puzzles insanely fast, too good.

You guys gonna watch this in Blu-Ray, so good. Ending was hilarious, great Natsuki and Kenji scene. Kenji's nosebleed went out of control LOL. Really enjoyed this movie.
Aug 21, 2012 2:13 PM

After glowing reviews and tons of praise, I decided to check out Summer Wars - And was kind of underwhelmed. I didn't think the family stuff and internet fighting meshed well at all by the way. It's either one or the other, you can't have both. The parts in OZ was bad ass, but it was way too brief. Make way for more family shinanigans!

I'd rather just watch the Digimon movie "Our War Game" again to be honest... Seriously, they're like the exact same movie except with some cliche family drama thrown in!

I enjoyed it overall though, it's gorgeous to look at, but there's no real suspense about it if you saw that Digimon movie. Our War Game at least had characters who we actually care about, while the guys in Summer Wars was mostly just archetypes and not real characters.

I give it 7/10
Sep 16, 2012 8:17 PM

I stumbled onto this movie through a fan mad Skrillex video with a bunch of clips...Summer Wars was used a lot and I decided to search for it...Found it..Watched it..LOVED IT!

About 75% of you voted 5 out of 5...That says it all!
Sep 25, 2012 8:09 AM

One of the best movies I've seen along with Ghibli's
Really like the setting and plot. Game!
Awesome movie 10/10
King Kazama is pretty cool, I also like the kid who control it :)
Nov 1, 2012 9:54 PM

So, so, so very good. Kinda the perfect movie. I decided to check this out after hearing it was the same people who did "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". Thankfully it didn't send me into the same kind of tailspin that that movie did. I really love it though. I can't wait to force everyone I know into watching it!
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Dec 12, 2012 11:07 PM

Great movie. Loved it. My only complaint might be that the ending was a bit childish i wish we could have gotten a actual kiss in. I guess I'm not a fan of the whole nose bleed scene but still a great movie.
Jan 7, 2013 11:57 PM

MidnightPride said:
Great movie. Loved it. My only complaint might be that the ending was a bit childish i wish we could have gotten a actual kiss in. I guess I'm not a fan of the whole nose bleed scene but still a great movie.

My reaction as well. That last 90 seconds or so was a lovely buildup, too, and then...nosebleed o_O

A good fun movie. Beautifully heartwarming. Also watched both sub and dub and I have to say the dub ain't half bad by any means.

It's definitely not perfect, but I'm rating with my heart on this one. Loved it.
Jan 14, 2013 8:49 AM

Really enjoyed this the love machine fights were awesome .
The love machine style of martial arts was badass
Jan 27, 2013 10:36 PM

What an amazing movie. It's quite simple but really heartwarming. Good thing I stumbled onto this while I was looking for anything good to watch to kill time :)
Jan 29, 2013 10:06 AM

I just saw this movie yesterday, and I've never felt like such a fanboy. I can say without hesitation that this is my favorite movie ever. It probably has something to do with my nostalgia for Digimon, especially Our War Game, but it was the moments that weren't similar to Digimon that really got to me. This is, in fact, the only thing that has made me cry. A couple other things have come close, but this actually brought tears to my eyes several times.
Feb 10, 2013 6:51 PM

I loved it.
Mar 10, 2013 7:17 AM

I like the overall story. The concept was awesome. I feel like I want to enter the OZ world too. The first half was a bit boring though enjoyable as well. The second half was really intense. That game between Love Machine vs. Kazma is cool. Then the Koi Koi game with Natsuki.

"Let me keep believing... so that I can keep on living."
Mar 15, 2013 2:05 PM

Finally I watched this movie.
I really liked it. Story was exactly the same as in Bokura no Wargame, but i had no problem with it.
The graphics were awesome. That Love Machine Monster made out of 40 million accounts?! AWESOME animation.
I will buy this as Blu-Ray for sure.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the names on this list lol

Modified by Demivee, Mar 15, 2013 2:16 PM
Mar 21, 2013 10:45 AM

one of the best movie's i'v watched so far!
loved the story,characters etc.. alot!
just a great movie!
Mar 31, 2013 8:52 PM

Lovely! :) One of the best anime movies, if not the better. I adore the animation! It's freaking epic. Love the concept of the OZ world.

Only reason why I would take one point was that I felt the movie was kind of unrealistic and had some plot holes.

I watched this in dub and will probably rewatch in subs next time. YO! I swear I heard Ash's dub LOL.

touken ranbu club
idolish7 club
yumecast club
cosplay club
nodame cantabile club
eien scanlations

seeking japanese translators, cleaners and typesetters in my manga scanlation group! ♥
PM me if interested.
Apr 17, 2013 11:28 AM

I finished this just now, fricken awesome movie.
Shuhan said:
AzureBlues said:

Who wants to die on a empty stomach?
Hella funny, and I agree I wouldn't want to die with an empty stomach.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »