Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2009 7:03 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, that was so awesome! The different styles of art really came together nicely!
KinetaOct 18, 2012 12:07 AM
Oct 8, 2009 8:50 PM

Jan 2008
I can only guess that they gave the animator only the theme passage and complete freedom to express it in any way they cared. Some were very cool. I especially liked the animated watercolor form flowing over the blank book pages.
Oct 15, 2009 8:10 AM

Nov 2008
I'm not very good with poetry, so I didn't know if there was an actual story to this or not, or what was about if there was (which is likely).

What I do know is that the animation was mostly very good and interesting to watch and I enjoyed overall.

I have given it 6 for now, but I might change that, with it being a very unique experience.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Oct 18, 2012 7:11 AM

Apr 2011
I don't understand. That is it for now
Oct 20, 2012 8:11 AM
Sep 2011
It was interesting to see how the various animators interpreted the verses differently with some amusing but overall really stunning results.
Oct 25, 2012 10:29 AM

Apr 2009
Wow the different styles of animation in one video is really something. Most interpretations were literal, some were metaphorical and even symbolic but it was still great.

My favorite was what I think to be the sand art and animation near the end, at the stanza "Praying to the dawn sky for pregnancy". The sea and the starry sky background scene was superbly well animated that I only paused on that particular scene while I was watching it.

6/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 20, 2017 6:38 PM

Jan 2015
Well, that was definitely the most artsy piece I've seen so far from this medium. The way it was produced is interesting, and it was worth watching to see all the different styles and techniques that were showcased. Makes you realize how mostly uniform the animation you get to see nowadays is.

However, I cannot in all honesty say it was an enjoyable watch, but neither was it unpleasant mind you. Some parts I found clever and well-crafted, but most of the symbolism flew right over my head. I'm also quite impervious to poetry as a whole, I guess that doesn't help.
Oct 13, 2018 3:11 PM

Oct 2015
I loved those different art styles on one show and I must say I loved those quotes which were animated literally or metaphorical.

It was a unique experience and I mostly enjoyed it. I hope to encounter anime like this in the future.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 16, 2019 1:15 PM

Dec 2016
Meh, only good moment is around 19:30~ (cute c:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRzcaboJprw
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Mar 28, 2020 9:24 AM

Aug 2017
Very interesting compilation. Not all of the shorts were equally great, but those by Yuri Norstein. Alexandr Petrov and Kihachiro Kawamoto werer truly incredible.

Here's an interview with Norstein about Winter Days in English - https://niffiwan.livejournal.com/4212.html
Translated from Russian - https://web.archive.org/web/20041106071127/https://kinoart.ru/magazine/04-2004/experience/norstein0404/
St0rmbladeMar 28, 2020 10:01 AM
May 2, 2020 4:22 AM

Jul 2013
The segment that really caught my attention was "By an unfading stupa, sobbing with a heavy heart"

Quite an amazing feat to bring all these creators together

If you liked Fuyu no Hi, I would suggest Khahlil Gibran's The Prophet (2014). It follows the same idea, but the segments last longer and there is a story between them.
Oct 16, 2021 5:30 AM

Nov 2011
Another one of those obscure anime that elitists on MAL give a 10, but you watch it and don't understand the high praise. While I like the idea of taking a collection of haikus and combining with animated interpretations, the shorts were too short to leave any real impact. Visually as well, it is also a real mixed bag, some shorts look beautiful, while some other shorts look really ugly, including two that use PS1 era CG. I just found myself bored after a while, really does not impress in the same way Robot Carnival, Neo Tokyo or Memories does.
Nov 8, 2023 6:17 PM
Mar 2019
Did not do too much for me.
Maybe a few nice segments, but overall not so good.
Dec 20, 2023 6:57 PM
May 2020
A rare find I dig it. Different visions and views could use some teamwork.
Apr 19, 2:53 PM

Jul 2020
Wow this wow great! Some one know if this is a true long poem or what? It looks like a Exquisite Corpse in a haiku key note, the story I didn't get it, at first it was the life of an old man but then a yokai appeared and people started copulating and everything went nuts, but at the end that old man was the one watching that maiden/princess pass ?

Either way, really beautiful experience!
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.