Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 10, 2008 6:35 PM
Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really like how this show can do many different formats and still remain pretty good. It's nice to see the serious side coming out and being quite well done.
Jul 25, 2008 7:51 AM

Jan 2008
I typical school day, through the eyes of Chiyo :D
Aug 31, 2008 3:29 PM
Aug 2008
Agreed, mickal. :)

I like that music that the episode starts with.

She wakes up her mother and father, who I guess spend their day hiding in case her friends come over. :D

"I'm a kitty cat!" Cute overload mode again! :D

"Everything gets nice and tidy..." ...in theory.

Was that the alarm? It's pretty.

So cute when she's asleep. And awake. :)
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"
Nov 29, 2008 7:56 AM

May 2008
Great episode. I really liked how the showed both Chiyo's urge to be older and to remain a child as well. It's very relatable: when you're young you want to be an adult, but once you become an adult, you miss being a kid. Very clever!
Feb 10, 2009 12:52 AM

Jul 2008
Alright episode.
Feb 13, 2009 4:42 PM
Jun 2008
Cute episode, mainly the last part with the 5 friends playing =)

Baka, baka, baka, baka, baka... XD
Feb 16, 2009 5:45 AM
Oct 2008
What I want to know is why her morning alarm is set to 6:27, not 6:25 or 6:30. Even if she pressed 'snooze', it should add on snooze time in 5 minte increments.
I predict that something is afoot...
But seriously, this episode, I mean just when you thought the show couldn't get any cuter, BAM they hit you with a whole episode on Chiyo-chan.
Apr 20, 2009 3:25 PM

Jul 2008
so the story told by chiho chan... very interesting; tomo has got to watch what shes doing, and osaka needs to learn to stay awake during school
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 20, 2009 10:36 PM

Dec 2008
I did see that Chiho is already very indendant, she looks after herself and basically exists on her own in her home (except for Mr Tadakishi). She is already a responsible "adult". But I was pleased that she was able to show her child self and still throw off responsibility to have some fun. She is a fascinating character (as are all of Azu's characters), and really fun to watch (and cute too). Its a great episode.
May the Uguu be with you.

May 19, 2009 4:50 PM

Dec 2008
i liked chiyo's alarm clock, its neat.
May 21, 2009 4:25 AM
Aug 2008
yoshinfinity said:
What I want to know is why her morning alarm is set to 6:27, not 6:25 or 6:30. Even if she pressed 'snooze', it should add on snooze time in 5 minte increments.
I predict that something is afoot...

I have to wonder if maybe that's significant in some way, like maybe one of the cast or crew's birthday is June 27th or something.
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"
Oct 27, 2009 4:58 PM

Jun 2008
Chiyo-chan is the soul of the show, that's for sure.

Oh, and Kaorin xD

Nov 14, 2009 7:56 PM

May 2009
Well, there was more variety in this episode so it was a bit more interesting. I don't like Chiyo-chan, she's annoying.
Mar 20, 2010 11:44 AM
Feb 2010
Loved the part when Osaka was asleep with here eyes open.

May 24, 2010 9:09 AM

Apr 2010
This episode makes me wonder what Chiyo-chan would look like in 6 years time.
Tall like Sakaki or normal like Tomo-san?

And Tomo-san really likes attention!
Aug 14, 2010 6:12 PM

Jan 2010
Good episode, on the begin I was thinking it would be a bad anime, but now I'm enjoying, it's really funny.
Aug 31, 2010 3:16 PM

Jul 2010
was it only me or to chiyos friends from elementary school look like the two female teachers in small?

well it was a nice episode, on the beginning i really didn't like this series much but from episode to episode it gets a little bit better
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Oct 7, 2010 10:07 PM

Jun 2010
This was a really refreshing episode to have after the past few episodes centered on Sakaki... those were kinda slow and not that funny. This episode was a lot funnier and was well balanced by the serious tone. 5/5
Oct 14, 2010 3:10 AM
Jan 2010
stAtic91 said:
Well, there was more variety in this episode so it was a bit more interesting. I don't like Chiyo-chan, she's annoying.

I don't like you, you're annoying.
Oct 31, 2010 6:01 AM

Jul 2009
Nice episode. It was cool to see the day from Chiyo's point of view.
Jan 18, 2011 6:22 AM

Aug 2010
Too bad she goes to sleep early, the others sure are enjoying themselves.
Jan 22, 2011 7:15 AM

Jan 2010
acetokai said:
was it only me or to chiyos friends from elementary school look like the two female teachers in small?

LOL ... That Yuka-chan look like Chibi Yukari-sensei xD
Mar 24, 2011 7:09 AM

Aug 2010
aw, i was hoping for a detachable pigtail joke lol xD
Apr 21, 2011 9:26 AM

Oct 2010
This is my favorite episode of Azumanga Daioh.

If you admit a sort of random rant, I'd like to comment on the typical complaint. It's not true that Azumanga is plotless; hell, it's not even true that its storyline is less engaging in the development or the characters are flat or whatever. This series is something really simple and lacks awesome story arcs, but is also very very solid at its simplicity. And the characters really make the show, instead of some other "hard-worked" plotlines where it's the chain of events what takes all the merits for the emotional power of the show and the characters are by themselves passive and uninteresting.

Episode 12 is all about a little girl who happened to have her childhood cut. While for some people it seems Chiyo only exists to add the insane amount of sugar into Azumanga Daioh, I've always had a soft spot for her as a character. No, not moe feel exactly. I just understand her reactions, her attempts to prove she's not a kid, the hate-love relationship with Tomo, etc. Then again, this is one of the most apparent samples of this show's quality: how it deals with a warped, sort of stylistically exaggerated reality and still manages to properly develop the reactions and remain them true to the essence of their characters. And, perhaps most important, transmit this feeling successfully to the viewer. Sure, Chiyo being a 10-year-old who skips five years in school because she's so smart is extremely difficult to see in reality, and it can be conceived as an easy take on "alternative reality" to make the series look curious, but what I love about it is that it takes this, say, striking detail and turns it into the basis of a very consistent and interesting character development. This is why I also like the Sakaki arc, at least more than many fans of this show, but still, this one is even better.

And why? Because, as well as having an outstanding exercise in storytelling and character development, it also balances it with some of the best comedy the series has given at this point. This may sound like the perfect episode indeed; it's not a mere series of gags but also not humourless. Simply, the jokes flow so well and fit so nicely with the nostalgic and touching view that is given to this episode, that it makes me laugh as well as smile and get teary-eyed at some parts. So the overall experience is a really complete and absorbing one.

Just to make some examples of the level of the jokes in here: every damn scene with Osaka, from "Tokyo worms" to dustpan to her asleep look in class, Yukari's videogame rant and side story, Tomo and Yomi's yakisoba interaction (the facial expressions in this show are amazing), as well as little guilty pleasure "Baka! Baka! Baka! Baaaka! Baaa..!" and its great later take, emo Kimura, Sakaki cluelessly getting lost again just to pet Kamineko or her very happy look when she walks with Tadakichi and Chiyo... One of the great advantages of this specific episode is that, as it's about Chiyo introducing her world to the viewer, works so well at identifying a particular style of humour with each character. Really, this episode would work so well as a first one... although it somehow works better at being right in the middle of the series. Props to the glorious timing of every joke and reaction, too.

The substance of the story is, anyway, Chiyo and her issues. The episode focuses on her in a pretty different way than the previous; in the sense that, rather than showing the daily difficulties of high school for a girl like her, trying to get respect for who she is and getting into the dynamics of the relationships from people who are five year older, it takes another step and leaves all of these problems just to focus on the past and not the present. So, what we see here is Chiyo dealing with her world before this drastic change in her life, how she somehow feels she's lost her childhood or at least an important part of it. It's quite noteworthy in that sense the scene where Chiyo talks with her friends, remembers her old school years with nostalgia and has to convince herself that she wants things to go on.

But, if there is one scene that really makes this episode, it's the jump rope one. At this point, the series had convinced me that behind the amount of stylistic resources to make the show look cute, there was an effort at creating a nice and pleasant feel out of everything, which I really love. This scene is specially fascinating. It takes a group of high schoolers doing something more typical of little girls and it sucks you into its atmosphere so strongly that you can't help but smile at looking at these girls having fun with such a simple and infantile game. It works both as a way of liberation and a celebration of childhood, and every character in the scene is so damn endearing... Also the previous part is very effective. The afternoon setting in the park, the little bell sounding while some kids are playing innocently, and Chiyo looking so vulnerable, and Sakaki realizing that and deciding to make her happy, etc. Heck, this show is a master of positive emotions, there has to be some prize for that.

Ten points out of ten. And twelve if I could. A real masterpiece.
jal90Apr 21, 2011 9:31 AM
May 7, 2011 2:33 PM

Mar 2011
Wow jal90, that was a really comprehensive post!

Cool!

Ah, a day in the life of Chiyo! Awesome! I really liked the single day approach they used, it's a format that gets used in other shows (not just anime) in the odd episode and I always love the results (there's a particularly good ST:DS9 episode like that) as long as they arn't spammed to death!

The creator is amazing, this and Yotsuba are godly works!
May 20, 2011 2:18 PM

Nov 2009
Chiyo is so awesome! i loved the jump rope part! it was so funny when Osaka fell and Tomo got hit XD lol Osaka is so funny! she fell asleep and sucks at cleaning... it sucks Chiyo almost died in the pool... anyway great epi!
Feb 4, 2012 1:36 PM

Dec 2009
Even though I found this episode a little boring it was somewhat cute.
Feb 17, 2012 6:44 PM
Jan 2012
Very funny episode.
5/5

@jal90: nice post!
reilanimuFeb 17, 2012 6:50 PM
Sep 2, 2014 6:44 AM

Aug 2013
Chiyo...!! This is a very relaxing episode.. love it.
Oh, her twin tails aren't detachable after all.. Hahaha..!! xD
Oct 21, 2014 7:53 PM

Aug 2014
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baa-!
Yes! The ending with all of them playing is so good
Feb 3, 2015 8:28 AM

Sep 2014
Chiyo-chan was cute.

Chiyo's friends from elementary school look like her high school teachers!? lol

Sakaki-san! :D

Osaka reminds me of Ralph Wiggum. xD
Dec 6, 2015 12:47 PM

Oct 2015
This anime is so cute, I can't even handle it.
Dec 11, 2016 9:16 PM

May 2016
A lot of nice moments in this episode. I also like Chiyo's dog.

Really heart-warming when Chiyo is playing jump rope as it really did bother her that she had to leave that behind due to skipping grades throughout the whole episode. Very nice execution.
Aug 25, 2017 2:35 PM

Nov 2016
Chiyo is my favourite character. I loved this focused episode of her.
Dec 16, 2017 6:49 AM

Jan 2010
That was adorable and the ending was really sweet, yet the episode still manages to be hilarious throughout. Special mention to the part where Chiyo was just pelted by Tomo's board.
Mar 4, 2018 2:45 PM

Jul 2017
Don't really know why, but this episode's ending gave me a warm fuzzy feeling, definitely one of my favorites.
Apr 10, 2018 4:02 PM

Aug 2007
I love Chiyo. This episode really shows that she's more than merely the cute young one. The "day in a life of" style of this episode helps you understand Chiyo's thought process, which is really important to the complexity of her situation -- she wants to enjoy her childhood but is held to a high standard of maturity for her age. If anything, it's admirable how adaptive Chiyo is... She is aware of her potentially lost early childhood, but still tries her best to enjoy the company of her high school friends.

I particularly feel for Chiyo since I understand her situation. I didn't skip grades, but in terms of being held at a high responsibility and level of maturity I completely understand. It's conflicting to feel both mature at a young age but still trying to not let it dampen your enjoyment for life. I believe part of this struggle is really apparent in my hobbies. I'm pretty open about enjoying cartoons, anime and general goofy stuff because in other aspects of my life I tend to take the responsible role. Hell, even getting settled into my career I sometimes have to do that with everyone else being average age of 45.

Dec 4, 2018 4:27 PM

Nov 2016
This show doesn't have a single weak episode and is so good at everything it tries.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 30, 2019 7:50 PM

Jul 2016
Chiyo is the best :>

Osaka is awesome

Tomo is stupid
Jun 9, 2020 7:22 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Its Chiyo-chan day! My best loli, get a dedicated episode, nice! Once again, a hilarious day on high school. Poor Chiyo, can't have a same age friends because, yeah, she was a prodigy child! However, your high school friends were in the same level as elementary school, so dont worry!

Ah i see some Kimura weird action again. Is that he wearing a skirt there? Nichijou no Chiyo-chan, the best so far! What else next? I believe its Tomo time to wreck the good day. Its about time!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Sep 8, 2020 5:10 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow a Chiyo focus episode!! sure highschool is very different than primary school
Mar 5, 2021 4:27 AM

Nov 2009
Best episode so far, lovely stuff.
Nov 7, 2021 11:20 PM

Mar 2016
Finally getting a Chiyo focused episode. Feel for her age conflictions though. She wants get older and taller, but at the same time she stilll wants to be a young child who can play jump rope without being judged. Luckily her classmates are happy to plaly jump rope with her :3
Jan 1, 2022 3:55 AM
Aug 2021
Cuteness overload.
Apr 24, 2022 3:45 PM

Jul 2014
Pretty much as close as you could get to a recap episode in a series like this without actually being one. All this episode really does is remind us of who these characters are and what their one-note trait is, with a little bit of Chiyo content to pad it out and hide the recap nature of the episode.

This of all shows really didn't need a soft recap episode like this.
Jun 18, 2022 8:50 AM

Feb 2020
Cute episode focusing on Chiyo. :3 That rope jump part was heartwarming.

"Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka! Baaka! Baa.." Haha. x3 Those facial expressions were priceless.

Sakaki imagining Chiyo to wear a cat costume was hilarious.
Aug 16, 2022 5:45 PM
Apr 2022
this is the cutest and most wholesome episode of any show i've ever watched. Absolutely perfect!!! (^~^)b
Sep 6, 2022 2:14 PM
Sep 2020
Wholesome and funny
Sep 28, 2022 7:26 PM
Oct 2020
Lot's of epic Tomo moments tbh, also Chiyo's dog is cool
this opinion has been certified based and correct
Nov 17, 2022 12:34 PM

Oct 2020
Chiyo-chan with her hair down oh my god??? Illegal

Evil. Evil.

This episode was cute, I liked it a lot. I still can't unsee Chiyo-chans pigtails as extensions haha.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - Jan 28, 2008

181 by Leggoo »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jan 7, 2008

97 by PostBaking »»
Yesterday, 1:54 PM

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jan 10, 2008

59 by maxmilix »»
Apr 21, 12:22 PM

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jan 16, 2008

56 by hellasmokee »»
Apr 21, 3:08 AM

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Dec 18, 2007

72 by Tamer2002 »»
Apr 14, 2:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.