Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 17, 2015 4:41 PM

Dec 2013
Fuckin' boring
yawwwn
Jul 5, 2015 11:43 PM

Jan 2014
She's got a really fancy garden there :)
Aug 16, 2015 4:46 AM

Mar 2015
Kotomi past has been revealed. So Kotomi is daisuki on Tomoya huh?
I knew that Kotomi parents had died.
Aug 31, 2015 3:36 AM

Oct 2013
The day before yesterday, I saw a rabbit; yesterday, it was a deer, and today, it was you.

This is probably profound and deeply moving in some interpretation of the words.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 6, 2015 7:46 PM

Oct 2013
All that yard work just proves how much they care about Kotomi. Hopefully all will end well
Nov 16, 2015 6:25 AM

Jul 2013
Dude, wtf.

http://i.imgur.com/HbqZqzG.jpg?1

Couldn't make the image appear.
Feb 5, 2016 2:27 AM

Nov 2015
Felt so sorry for Kotomi when she was all alone in her home in the flashback. But she is very lucky to have got such caring friends !
Feb 9, 2016 6:55 PM

Nov 2013
Hey look, the episode I dropped the show.

I don't think I've ever cared less about anyone's back story than this. It's too ludicrously tragic. Next you'll tell me her dog died and her house burned down and she has to take care of her alzheimer patient grandmother in a slum in Detroit who constantly forgets what she looks like.
Feb 17, 2016 5:35 PM

Jan 2016
Very sad episode.
Apr 29, 2016 4:50 PM

Oct 2012
The episode wasn't bad but it lacked some sort of urgency. Feels were not there unlike the VN. "Friendship" approach is to blame I guess. Even though it was bit nice when they plowed the garden together.

You know, Grisaia brazenly copied this part in
route, but Grisaia did a lot better and more impactful story in the end. Here in Clannad, it was just bland.

What's more, the book she gave him should have been the trigger of his memories but they diminished its importance here greatly. Also, no 'hanbunko' (fifty-fifty share) in anime version which is very disappointing as it took away from Kotomi's character a lot.
May 17, 2016 10:26 PM

Mar 2014
Kotomi-chan .. hope you get better .. that was a depressing past .
Great Episode . Looks to me they're raking up the memories from the yard .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2017 2:17 PM

Jul 2016
Poor Kotomi :(

This is the first time I've ever felt so sad for a character, this anime is something else.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Jan 13, 2018 2:17 AM

Aug 2015
Kotomi really has the sweetest group of friends <3
On a sidenote I wonder if she's been living alone in that house ever since her parents died? How could authorities be okay with that.. it seems kinda weird to me. Usually when someone's parents die they have to live with, like, a distant relative or something. Since the rest of the anime is so good, I guess it doesn't really matter, but it still strikes me as a bit unrealistic.
Mar 4, 2018 1:27 AM
Dec 2017
wow.. really this ep damn good ... love it!! looking for forward!!
Aug 15, 2018 6:19 AM
Apr 2018
Poor Kotomi :( poor, poor Kotomi... My favorite character in the show
May 3, 2019 12:03 PM

Aug 2017
Okay so Kotomi's parents died in a plane crash huh. And the "bad person" came to her house to let her know that her parents have some very important papers at home. Overwhelmed with grief she burned the documents. Too bad we will not know what was inside. Although I hope we will eventually find it out.

Well the group of friends is living up to Kotomi's birthday. Okazaki is working in her garden to 'literally' dig up something from their past :P Oh and the new violin the girls wanted to give Kotomi might take a while to get fixed... There are so many interesting and mysterious storylines right now. Can't wait for the next episode!
Jul 24, 2019 3:08 PM
Apr 2016
Her backstory was revealed, and as expected, it was an unfortunate one. Pretty adorable ending.
Feb 12, 2020 7:08 PM

Jul 2016
Honestly, I didn't feel anything after knowing about Kotomi's past. It was still a decent episode but I guess that's what happen when you make your character too "moe" to be credible.

On the other hand, I hope they also explain how Tomoya forgot about such important events. You know... meeting a lonely girl, spending several time with her and most importantly, the fire incident he witnessed.
Sep 18, 2020 8:07 AM

Mar 2020
If there's anything I can say about this series, it's that the characterisation is truly baffling. Each arc starts with a campy overly-moe slice of life plot before attempting to deal with the more tragic and human aspects of each character. I feel for what Fuko and Kotomi have been through, but there's such an extreme disconnect between how I feel and how the show wants me to feel.

As far as arcs go, while Fuko was a more entertaining character, Kotomi's arc seems to embody what people think of when it comes to this series. I've never really been a slice of life guy, but that scene of Okazaki and his friends gardening under the moonlight was really sweet. It almost makes me want to excuse all the seemingly unexplained contrivances with Kotomi's backstory, but I think I'll maintain my stance on that front.

I can't speak from experience, but Kotomi's reaction to hearing about the loss of her parent's felt quite genuine to me. It kinda reminds of Octocat Adventure and how that web series deals with a similar thematic (and no, I'm not bullshitting when I say that).
Sep 24, 2020 9:08 AM

Jul 2008
Oh Kotomi....yeah that is such crap.

Your parents die on a plane trip while skipping your party that no one went to, and then no one thinks to find Kotomi to tell her except for the scientist that wants the thesis.

However no excuse for Tomoya for forgetting that he ever knew Kotomi!!!
Oct 9, 2020 4:22 PM

Jun 2020
Kotomi's backstory was interesting and very sad as well but it was enjoyable.
Dec 17, 2020 4:45 AM

May 2020
This show is trying to pull my heart strings so bad lmao (it worked)
Jan 7, 2021 2:45 PM
Aug 2020
poor Kotomi ;____;
Feb 13, 2021 7:38 PM

Jan 2020
It didn't work. Sorry I already saw that coming. Not that her parents died but something "tragic" coming shortly. I mean come on it was obvious something like that was gonna happen.

Honestly the only time I ever felt emotional watching Clannad was when Nagisa's mother cried. Idk why but I just felt emotional for some reason.
So uh- yeah the whole emotional thing failed.
3099Feb 16, 2021 7:22 PM
Feb 17, 2021 7:48 AM

Jun 2020
Okazaki is busy fixing everyone else up. I wonder who’s going to fix him. He always tugs at my heartstrings. I teared up when Nagisa appeared even after he told her to go to class. When you care for someone, nothing will stop you, you’ll make it work. I hope Kotomi will realise their efforts & see how everyone cares for her. I’m liking Nagisa more & more, she’s so kind. She’s a great match with Okazaki, they have such great hearts. When Okazaki mused that he’s not alone now I was like (;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`)

I also have a feeling I’ll like Kyou the best lol & can’t wait to get to Tomoyo arc.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Feb 25, 2021 6:06 AM

Jun 2016
Kotomi sure had it rough, having to cope with losing both her mother and father at a young age. An okay episode, but all this emotional stuff is getting kinda annoying, ngl. Ep Score - 5/10

Jan 15, 2022 5:52 PM

Jan 2016
I'm sorry, but how in the world did he not remember Kotomi? Was there anyone else living in the house with her? What does she eat? I get her parents died, but I don't really care much for Kotomi as a character. Please stop with the trying to get me to cry with these random storylines that make no sense.

I get that he's the MC, but can Okazaki show at least one flaw? Right now, it feels like he can do no wrong.
Sulfur2Jan 15, 2022 5:59 PM
May 9, 2022 1:52 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Just a group of friends doing yardwork in the middle of the night at a house of a girl who's hurting inside. Definitely something unique that has never been seen in anime before, and does give off some sort of a vibe.

Well dang. Coming into this I was expecting some of your typical cutesy fun slice of life stuff, and not much else. While that's true to an extent, I am pleasantly surprised to see how much weight that these episodes carry. Fuuko's story was moving, but this whole ordeal with Kotomi is even heavier and somewhat dark even. When we first see her you think she's just going to one of your stereotypical air-heads, with cutting pages out of newspapers and books being just a gimmick of hers. Haha, so cute and funny right? Not really... the girl carries tremendous guilt. And whether or not Clannad is being cheap with trying to sway the emotions of the viewer, how well or poorly it is executed, is a matter I'm indifferent to. I'm just glad we are getting far more than what you usually get in your more simple slice of life.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jul 2, 2022 7:58 AM

Jul 2021
Damn first clannad episode to make me cry.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Aug 30, 2023 1:49 AM

Dec 2010
Some sites describe this as a filler, from what I understand there are some changes compared to the VN too? I liked it a lot regardless, but I'm just wondering what's up with that.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Oct 5, 2007

273 by D-A-W »»
Apr 19, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Oct 12, 2007

192 by Creepyy »»
Apr 19, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Awesmoe - Mar 28, 2008

349 by EM1LL3US »»
Apr 10, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KY791 - Mar 13, 2008

145 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KY791 - Mar 6, 2008

214 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.