Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2009 3:17 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I though he was gonna kill him! But know it became more twisted.

It looks like that princess is kinda becoming better as a character.
Nov 7, 2010 4:27 PM

Apr 2008
No! No! No! This is so wrong! When I first saw that guy order his carrige to trample that kid (I can't believe I forgot his name already, I liked him). Thought that some random person would just tell Youko that guy's name and she would send a letter to Keiki.

While that guy's betrayal and his recruiting Youko's friend does make for a more interesting story. I would have liked it if things just turned out ok and Youko's friend should chill.

Well at least he'll become a sen-nin now (or so I suspect). So he'll be able to understand this world more. I can't wait to see his reaction once he finds out that Youko has become the empress of Kei.

Rakushun was awesome as always.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
Jan 11, 2011 12:33 PM

Aug 2009
This was more or less a recap episode, but it was still OK. Asano annoys me to no end and it's obvious now that he's insane and paranoid.
Feb 25, 2011 3:01 AM

Aug 2010
What i first thought was impossible just happened - Shoukei finally reformed! Again, thanks to rakushun! This guy should be given an award or something.

Bah Asano getting involved in this makes things more complicated, especially now that he is insane! Just go back to japan already!
Aug 28, 2011 3:42 PM

Sep 2008
metamorphius said:
This was more or less a recap episode, but it was still OK.

Basically. D: I felt like so much time was wasted watching the "recap" parts... I don't like how they interwove new material with old.

Oh well. It was still a good episode in that Shoukei was shown to have changed... supposedly. I really hope Rakushun's 'magic' has worked on her like it did on Youko.

Clearly, Asano is a moron. Is that guy who ran over Seishuu the one that's plotting against Youko? Things are going to get really complicated now, if Asano ends up being pitted against Youko...
May 4, 2013 8:19 PM

Jul 2011
This series keeps sending us to square one!

First it was Yoko.
Then it was Sugimoto.
Then Suzu.
Then Shoukei.

Now Asano.

Can't we just see Yoko's story?? >___<

Rakushun, you go!!
Mar 8, 2014 12:24 AM

Jul 2008
Rakushun you are a miracle worker. I don't hate Asano simply because he's gone insane just like Suzu would have.

And at last we have the villain.
Mar 26, 2014 9:17 AM

Aug 2013
Every character should just go and meet Rakushun. Seriously, everyone improves after meeting him.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 23, 2014 6:40 PM

Nov 2013
That Rakushun, what a character. He's friendly, patient, forgiving, is good with words and can deliver impressive monologues at will, and has been the catalyst for the development of at least two major characters.

I have a suspicion that once Suzu finds out who ran over Seishuu, she'll be bitter toward Youko for allowing her officials to do such things... I think she'll essentially swap places with Shoukei and adopt Shoukei's previous attitude toward the queen.
Jan 30, 2015 5:34 AM

Jan 2012
xchee said:
Every character should just go and meet Rakushun. Seriously, everyone improves after meeting him.

+1 totally true he is my favorite character .

this world is itself wrong nice there.

May 1, 2015 12:01 AM
Aug 2008
Mirorin said:
This series keeps sending us to square one!

First it was Yoko.
Then it was Sugimoto.
Then Suzu.
Then Shoukei.

Now Asano.

Can't we just see Yoko's story?? >___<

Rakushun, you go!!

Suzu wasn't bad as the others though.
Anyway it's a nice episode in general.
The series is getting much more excited, I'm watching more episodes now than I was at half of the series. Better paced also.
Oct 17, 2015 1:49 PM

Feb 2013
Is it me or near the end of the episode when Asano talk to Shoukou the soundtrack look alot like Drakengard 1 OST - Weapon Selection ?
DragoonsamOct 17, 2015 2:18 PM
Nov 10, 2015 7:46 AM

Dec 2013
Tien said:
That Rakushun, what a character. He's friendly, patient, forgiving, is good with words and can deliver impressive monologues at will, and has been the catalyst for the development of at least two major characters.

I have a suspicion that once Suzu finds out who ran over Seishuu, she'll be bitter toward Youko for allowing her officials to do such things... I think she'll essentially swap places with Shoukei and adopt Shoukei's previous attitude toward the queen.

From the moment she first heard about Youko, sadly, Suzu's entire image of her has been completely made up and fantastical. At least the girls who have harbored animosity towards Youko have creative imaginations.

Even though Seishuu was able to set her straight, perhaps she also needs to meet Rakushun to really set her on the right path. Much like Youko did, Shoukei should also consider herself very lucky that she met Rakushun.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Aug 4, 2016 4:01 PM

Jan 2010
Suzu and Shoukei are seriously eating mouthfuls of humble pie.

Anyways, my impressions so far. First, Twelve Kingdoms is not a fun show. That's not its intent though, which is important to note. Second, the layers this show is throwing on one after another is astounding. You really get to the the complexity of the characters in tandem with the ongoing story of each kingdom, their monarchy, and their people trying to manage themselves. Third, while there is quite the number of recap episodes and a heavy reliance on monologues and explaining things, I actually find it necessary here due to the high amount of names, terms, and rules being thrown around. It does make the show feel longer than it really is though.
May 10, 2017 12:17 PM

Jun 2016
I really believe all that information about how the 12 kingdoms work and what situation they are in is turning into a textbook aura. Too much information to deal with, and not much focus on the plot.
Especially this episode, I got sick of hearing the summaries of the earlier episodes. We already saw those episodes. What is the point of repeating them over and over again? They're not even confusing or complicated. This show could have been much more shorter indeed.
Jun 20, 2017 6:46 AM

Oct 2012
The princess is actually acknowlegde that she's a fool?
Is this real life?

Rakushun is way too good, he's way too good
I just love him xD
If only everyone can meet him, they will be a better person

Wait a minute...
Is this recap in disguise?

Asano........... not again
*Sugimoto flashback* *Triggered*
Rayl1ghtJun 20, 2017 6:50 AM
"Signature removed"
May 9, 2019 12:05 AM

Jul 2015
When the recap episode has more character development for Shoukei than other shows will have in their entire run. Seriously though Rakushun and her are a really great dynamic and in my opinion practically salvage that storyline. And in a sense the provincial ruler at the end was right in that their world is all sorts of fucked up, a real Ivan Karamazov there, rebelling literally against gods despite knowing they exist and will punish you, though I doubt they're going to carry his storyline in that direction I hope it'll bring up some more interesting questions
Nov 16, 2019 1:28 AM

May 2015
Asano is gone. He choosed the dark side.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 9, 2020 7:35 PM

May 2010
Shocked said:
Suzu and Shoukei are seriously eating mouthfuls of humble pie.

Anyways, my impressions so far. First, Twelve Kingdoms is not a fun show. That's not its intent though, which is important to note. Second, the layers this show is throwing on one after another is astounding. You really get to the the complexity of the characters in tandem with the ongoing story of each kingdom, their monarchy, and their people trying to manage themselves. Third, while there is quite the number of recap episodes and a heavy reliance on monologues and explaining things, I actually find it necessary here due to the high amount of names, terms, and rules being thrown around. It does make the show feel longer than it really is though.

I'm kinda on the fence about this. You're right that it is astounding, at least in its ambition. It's a complex world, with a complex plot, with multiple character developments, and several subplots to boot. Most anime this ambitious tend to collapse into a confusing mess, while this one is somehow holding it all together. Unfortunately, I feel like the pace is suffering pretty severely as a result. Maybe I'd like this show more if they actually settled into the slow pace a bit more instead of constantly spurring it on with new developments, plot twists, and cliffhangers. Not to say that I don't like this show... honestly my thoughts are a bit of a mess on how much I actually like it, but at least it's somewhat impressive.
“Money can't buy dere”
May 13, 2020 1:09 PM

Jul 2009
Seems that the princess is turning into a good person...
Asano is a pain...he should have been killed already
Jan 30, 2022 11:46 AM
Nov 2020
another great episode
Aug 13, 2022 5:56 AM

Sep 2018
I love all these intricate little subplots and stories and wonder just how they're all going to connect together eventually. That paper looked like Asano was going to become a Sen-nin if he chooses to work for him? Not sure...

Also, the recaps don't even feel like recaps, I was even grateful for the first couple very early on in the show, because there's a lot to take in.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 5 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

37 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 3 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 14, 2008

41 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Sep 30, 2008

68 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 20, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 7, 2008

50 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 13, 2:35 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 10 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

25 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 11, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.