Forum Settings
Forums

Spoiler! Berserk, why do (50%+) people consider this Manga a master piece?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 6, 2014 2:06 PM

Oct 2010
Nowadays, Berserk seems like a MMORPG,
it was a time when it was so good...
Mar 9, 2014 9:09 AM

Jan 2013
Shylp said:
Well, admittedly, looking at the background story, maybe they are not. But look how they interact, how they function as a group it's just a copy of one piece basically and doesn't have the same taste the characters used to have. (love one piece btw)

I'm all for respecting people's opinions when it comes to their own preferences and/or interpretations in manga, especially something like Berserk, but saying it copied One Piece when it comes to protagonists making companions? What now? Now thats when i cannot take you seriously any longer.

So basically you're saying that every manga out there, of course thats including ALL shonen battle manga when it comes to companionship, ripped off One Piece, is that what you're trying to imply that as well? I'm slrry..I just can't...

oh yeah, to answer your topic question? its pretty much because of the epic scale of the world Miura had built and the characters' relationships with one another.And yes I know that Berserk does has its ups and downs, this is especially evident when it comes to the a rather mundane sea god chapters in the Fantasia Arc. Overall it is still one of the better fantasy graphic novels that Japan had published.

Minjko said:
I think Miura is using all that party-nakama thing to develop Guts as a character. When he was alone travelling with Puck, he was a mad man, hating everybody, but now he seems calmer and more like a father to the kids. IMO Miura even used the berserk armor to make Guts look older by getting white hair. Well, at least that's how I see it. Maybe Miura didn't plan it like that and he is just being influenced by the "moe-harem" trend of these last years.

Although I completely agree with your first half of your post, you're still completely missing the point. Guts gets the armor just to grow older white hair? If that's what you're trying to only imply,then you're mistaken. Did you even realised how many apostles he needs to fight at that point of time in his weakened state? hell, even Guts had a tough time fighting one apostle at a time even before he'd gotten his berserker armor. Plus, the Berserker armor is a double edged sword. Even when Shierke was able to control its power, it still doesnt stop the armor from not eating up and breaking his body afterwards. So its not just a simple "power-up", far from it. cheers.

And to your statement where Miura being influenced by the "moe-harem" genre.....you're kidding, right? where's the sources did you get it from? and no, not that idolM@ster bullcrap *rolls eyes*

I'm sure the Lost Children Arc is also catered to that recent trend too right...right? so moe /sarcasm

short_review said:
I guess some people read berserk wrong sometimes.

And then this kind of thread happens T_T

Well, it is subjective when it comes to liking or disliking something. So it does not really bother me that much. BUT when it comes to a manga being alleged of being influenced by "moe" genre, ripping something off another manga or stating some presumptuous statements about the author like what OP had originally posted... thats when I call bullshit.

tsudecimo said:
The loli having a crush on Guts is extremely unnecessary, the closet pervert girl is uninteresting and many other things bugs me about the 'new' Berserk.

Youre just readin too much into things really. Shierke is just a little girl having a precocious crush towards Guts, nothing more. And its pretty obvious that Guts only sees her as part of his "family", with a father-daughter kind of relationship.
bbboi90Mar 10, 2014 11:33 PM
A piece of my brain just shot out of my weiner!- Onodera Punpun
Mar 10, 2014 12:55 PM

Aug 2008
Why does Griffith break down and make love to the princess?

I can think of two reasons.

1. He is in love with Guts
2. He has feels obligated to meet expectations.

I don't think I need to explain the first point as it should be rather obvious. It's true that he explained what he considered a true friend, but he never said he specifically wanted guts to be his friend. No he wanted far more than that, he wanted to "own" guts "Now you're all mine". You could say he's been infatuated with guts for quite awhile. This of course caused him to lose sight of his vision because he was prioritizing his feelings for guts over his feelings for conquest.

Now being obligated to meet expectations. This is explained with the road of corpses that he had made himself in his conquest. You could say it's possible he convinced himself that there shouldn't be any failures in achieving his dream based on what he has made others sacrifice. Losing guts...is not something he could foresee, which he probably considered a supreme failure which caused his vision to be blinded even further. Both he and guts overestimated his ability to get back up after such failure as a consequence.

The whole princess thing of course was not something he thought about, or rather it's possible he chose not to think about it. He got hasty rather than skillfully planning things out because his emotional state was a wreck. Did he do it because he wanted comfort? Did he do it because he wanted to fall even harder (as he seems to care very little when he is caught)? There's more possibilities at hand.

The whole eclipse thing can be interpreted in numerous ways of course. You could say he raped Casca in front of Guts to throw everything about their relationship away completely. You could say he did it as revenge for leaving him. You could say he did it to test how much of an overpowering god he had become. But yeah, it's up for interpretation.
Mar 11, 2014 7:56 AM
Oct 2012
bbboi90 said:

Minjko said:
I think Miura is using all that party-nakama thing to develop Guts as a character. When he was alone travelling with Puck, he was a mad man, hating everybody, but now he seems calmer and more like a father to the kids. IMO Miura even used the berserk armor to make Guts look older by getting white hair. Well, at least that's how I see it. Maybe Miura didn't plan it like that and he is just being influenced by the "moe-harem" trend of these last years.

Although I completely agree with your first half of your post, you're still completely missing the point. Guts gets the armor just to grow older white hair? If that's what you're trying to only imply,then you're mistaken. Did you even realised how many apostles he needs to fight at that point of time in his weakened state? hell, even Guts had a tough time fighting one apostle at a time even before he'd gotten his berserker armor. Plus, the Berserker armor is a double edged sword. Even when Shierke was able to control its power, it still doesnt stop the armor from not eating up and breaking his body afterwards. So its not just a simple "power-up", far from it. cheers.

And to your statement where Miura being influenced by the "moe-harem" genre.....you're kidding, right? where's the sources did you get it from? and no, not that idolM@ster bullcrap *rolls eyes*

I'm sure the Lost Children Arc is also catered to that recent trend too right...right? so moe /sarcasm

Yes, I know the white hair is caused by the stress of the body the armor causes when he fights. But I didn't mean like that. It's a little hard to explain because english is not my first language. What I was trying to say is that the "white hair- older" thing is like a second intention of the author, the main reason is his body breaking up, but I THINK Miura is making a subtle approach that he is maturing by drawing him white hair. I don't know if you get me.
Regarding the moe harem (first I should have just said harem because moe is a very vague term), I said MAYBE he is being influenced. So maybe you are right. Also in Lost Children, the girls didn't have a crush on Guts.

PD: April 11. The Return of Berserk. =D
MinjkoMar 11, 2014 8:09 AM
Mar 11, 2014 9:17 AM

Jan 2013
Minjko said:
bbboi90 said:

Minjko said:

Yes, I know the white hair is caused by the stress of the body the armor causes when he fights. But I didn't mean like that. It's a little hard to explain because english is not my first language. What I was trying to say is that the "white hair- older" thing is like a second intention of the author, the main reason is his body breaking up, but I THINK Miura is making a subtle approach that he is maturing by drawing him white hair. I don't know if you get me.
Regarding the moe harem (first I should have just said harem because moe is a very vague term), I said MAYBE he is being influenced. So maybe you are right. Also in Lost Children, the girls didn't have a crush on Guts.

PD: April 11. The Return of Berserk. =D

Okay I understand what you're trying to say and I apologise in my way of replying to your post, as I see this 'moe' term as pretty insulting in a series such as Berserk. But, I don't think there is a harem in what you're implying here as it doesn't cater to "which girl is gonna get Guts in the end" scenario imho.

The former church militant Farnese figurehead, from the moment her faith in the Holy See is crushed after seeing the truth of her religion at the end and after the Conviction arc, she sees Guts as some sort of a symbol of worship that saves her from a false faith she had blindly followed throughout her youth, drastically changing her world view altogether. This is rather similar to how Casca changed her apathetic nature in dealing with things to becoming a strong independent woman after being saved by Griffith from becoming a potential sex slave, as she herself sees him like a saviour at the time as well. Although having a precocious crush on Guts at first, there is a legitimate and realistic reason of why Farnese had slowly developed feelings towards Guts after learning the ways of surviving in this harsh world, just like how Casca was. Also, there's an implication Farnese might return her feelings to her betrothed Roderick, but thats how I interpret it from reading the volumes *shrugs*.

And as for Schierke, like what I had mentioned in my previous post, she's just a young girl that developed a huge crush on Guts after he helps to comfort her about her mistress' death. This is evident in volume 28 when Sonia asked about it, saying " he's an adult that paid attention to me, and I kinda enjoyed it a little..". Like how some adolescent girls and even boys do at their age, who wouldn't feel happy inside when someone were to comfort you? I know I do when I was still young :). From what I had read, its strongly implied that Guts only treats her as his family, like a father-daughter kind of relationship. Plus there's a few if not subtle hints being dropped between Isidro and Schierke as well if you know what I mean.

Thus I stand by my point and strongly disagree that these two are unlike the girls shown in many harem manga/anime that seemed to explicitly but obnoxiously show their love for the main protagonist only for superficial reasons.

Oh, and for the Lost Children Arc, I was just sarcastically pointing out the "moe" term you were trying to point out earlier. So, I apologise for that :/

Sorry for the long-winded reply tho, just wanna get my point across. cheers ;)
Mar 11, 2014 9:28 AM

Apr 2013
I've never seen so much text on a MAL thread ... Berserk fans coming out in force. Yeah to me it also felt like everything happens "for the sake of the plot" mind you I haven't even reached 100 chapters into it yet, the characters action, motives etc. just all seem somewhat out of place & quite forced kinda but not to the extent of Gantz (yes). I can't really fathom its popularity & appeal either but people like it when an insanely buff guy goes around chopping people in half all "manly" like (apparently they do), kinda like Angel Beats fans appreciate all those feels moments even though the in-between getting there is half-assed, 2 sides of the same coin if you ask me.
Mar 11, 2014 9:57 AM

Jan 2013
Sloth_ said:
I can't really fathom its popularity & appeal either but people like it when an insanely buff guy goes around chopping people in half all "manly" like (apparently they do), kinda like Angel Beats fans appreciate all those feels moments even though the in-between getting there is half-assed, 2 sides of the same coin if you ask me.

Well, I'm afraid that it is not for you then. And you're completely missing the point of just a buff guy cutting people down. so you're just reading for the sake of action then? cus it seems to me you're implying exactly just that ...just saying
Mar 11, 2014 10:45 AM

Apr 2013
bbboi90 said:
Sloth_ said:
I can't really fathom its popularity & appeal either but people like it when an insanely buff guy goes around chopping people in half all "manly" like (apparently they do), kinda like Angel Beats fans appreciate all those feels moments even though the in-between getting there is half-assed, 2 sides of the same coin if you ask me.

Well, I'm afraid that it is not for you then. And you're completely missing the point of just a buff guy cutting people down. so you're just reading for the sake of action then? cus it seems to me you're implying exactly just that ...just saying
Ah no I was actually expecting an epic tale with good action, seems I got neither :/ it's a bit of an exaggeration to say it as I did (didn't really expect anyone to take a gross hyperbole at face value), but if 1 (say I) found the story to be so haphazard & so un-engaging (a little eye-role-worthy too) it wouldn't appear to be all that much more, to be honest :/ "not for me": so true, that was kinda my whole point in a nutshell ....
Mar 11, 2014 10:51 AM
Oct 2012
bbboi90 said:

Oh, ok. Thanks for the apologize. =P
After reading all that, I agree with you. They have a good reason to fall in love. I had forgotten about how Farnese felt after she discovered her religion was false and also about the character Roderick (lol). Also I know Guts only sees Schierke as a daughter or a little sister, but I was kinda annoyed that Berserk could become a harem. I don't dislike them, but I wouldn't like my favorite manga to have that as a theme. I read in some forums about Miura playing Idolmaster, so I was a little preoccupied. Well, it seems it's just a minor theme that will probably disappear thanks to Isidro and Roderick. cheers
Mar 11, 2014 10:55 AM

Jul 2013
Because it is.

Bet you didn't see that coming.
Mar 11, 2014 10:57 AM

Jan 2013
Minjko said:
bbboi90 said:

Oh, ok. Thanks for the apologize. =P
After reading all that, I agree with you. They have a good reason to fall in love. I had forgotten about how Farnese felt after she discovered her religion was false and also about the character Roderick (lol). Also I know Guts only sees Schierke as a daughter or a little sister, but I was kinda annoyed that Berserk could become a harem. I don't dislike them, but I wouldn't like my favorite manga to have that as a theme. I read in some forums about Miura playing Idolmaster, so I was a little preoccupied. Well, it seems it's just a minor theme that will probably disappear thanks to Isidro and Roderick. cheers

Well, at least Schierke, for obvious reasons, know that Guts will not return her feelings cus she's too damn young. Kinda make me curious whether or not her mistress Flora had something going on between her and the skull knight in the distant past :)

Yeah its easy to overlook and forget about some of the subtleties of the plotting at times, especially because of the veeeeryyyy inconsistent schedule of the manga. Sooo yeah. Cheers
bbboi90Mar 11, 2014 11:02 AM
Mar 11, 2014 5:57 PM

Apr 2009
Maybe because the very part that you are disappointed in is what a lot of readers consider one of the greatest segments in comic book history.
Mar 12, 2014 8:04 AM
Jan 2011
Golden Age Saga is easily the highlight on the manga.Goes downhill around the pirate arc
Mar 17, 2014 8:24 PM

May 2008
I am yet to catch up with the Manga , but frankly speaking everything past the Golden Age Saga has been sucky So, in a way I do agree to most of Shylp's view of this Manga.

Mar 19, 2014 8:13 AM
Mar 2014
http://www.twilightvisions.com/griffith.htm

this is why i think berserk is a masterpiece.
Mar 19, 2014 8:26 AM

Mar 2009
I actually think the Golden Age Arc is the worst one and never understood why people like it so much.

The reason I love Berserk is because contrary to many anime and manga it does a serious take on the whole demon/apocalypse theme.
You can hardly compare to anything else in the same genre because that's usually teenagers with superpowers fighting against monsters and fanservice thrown into it.
I won't even consider all the sex in Berserk (yea I know there's a lot) fanservice because it just fits into the fucked up world, instead of appearing at random times.
Mar 19, 2014 6:38 PM
Mar 2014
In regards to the Nakamaness that is now rampant in the story...what happens every time Guts has friends? They exist to build/establish a connection, only to die horrifically and painfully.One should never, ever, ever forget that there is a Behelit with them. It may technically belong to Puck, but I'm pretty sure anyone can use it. My money is on Farnese. Remember that this is a seinen horror/tragedy. It will not be happy. Or, rather, not for long.
COOKIES4LIFEMar 19, 2014 6:41 PM
Apr 18, 2014 3:20 AM
Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
I agree about the princess part. That perhaps my only problem and the only flaw in the Golden age arc.
Well I disagree. It made sense that Griffith would react like that. He clearly valued Guts as much more than a mere possession, like he did everyone else. He was likely in love with him. There was also the fact that Guts disobeyed him and beat him in a fight. All this would have severely damaged Griffith's ego. Lets not forget that he was pretty evil from the start. His nice guy act was mostly a facade, but Guts was perhaps the only genuinely cared for. I completely bought his reaction to Guts leaving.

The only legitimate problem I have with the Golden Age arc is a plot hole regarding Guts' assassination mission. It was far fetched to believe that Griffith would send him in the first place considering he was a brute and not an assassin, but the real problem comes from the fact that no one ever suspects Guts or Griffith for what happens. There were guards that if they didn't see Guts' face, they definitely saw a guy swinging a huge sword around. There wasn't anyone else carrying that type of weapon. It puzzled me would no one ever even suspected Guts or Griffith.

Still, the Golden Age is a masterpiece of storytelling overall. It steadily goes downhill after, especially after volume 24 but I don't think it's become outright bad yet. It is probably overrated as a whole though.
Apr 18, 2014 5:42 AM

Aug 2013
The strength of the Golden Age arc alone makes this manga a masterpiece. I have yet to read an arc in any manga which so intricately weaves plot, wordbuilding, characterization, art, humor, brutality, hope, and despair together to create a flawless tapestry of storytelling as brilliantly as Berserk. Even if the rest of the manga has been lackluster, I simply can't bring myself to regard it as anything but a masterpiece when it was able to attain such heights in its prime.
Apr 19, 2014 7:33 AM
Dec 2012
Jotaro_Kujo said:
The strength of the Golden Age arc alone makes this manga a masterpiece. I have yet to read an arc in any manga which so intricately weaves plot, wordbuilding, characterization, art, humor, brutality, hope, and despair together to create a flawless tapestry of storytelling as brilliantly as Berserk. Even if the rest of the manga has been lackluster, I simply can't bring myself to regard it as anything but a masterpiece when it was able to attain such heights in its prime.
Is that really fair though? Wouldn't it make the anime better than the manga for a start? I find it hard to judge the manga as a whole. I originally gave it a 10/10 and deemed it a masterpiece but eventually saw fit to downgrade it to a 9. The Fantasia arc is just plain shit in comparison to some of the earlier stuff. A work has to be judged as a whole and not in parts. I'd consider Vagabond to be better than Berserk overall because even though it doesn't have an arc as good as the GA(though Kojiro's backstory does come pretty close), it remains of a consistently very high standard throughout.
Apr 19, 2014 7:37 AM

Dec 2012
gilgamesh310 said:
tsudecimo said:
I agree about the princess part. That perhaps my only problem and the only flaw in the Golden age arc.
Well I disagree. It made sense that Griffith would react like that. He clearly valued Guts as much more than a mere possession, like he did everyone else. He was likely in love with him. There was also the fact that Guts disobeyed him and beat him in a fight. All this would have severely damaged Griffith's ego. Lets not forget that he was pretty evil from the start. His nice guy act was mostly a facade, but Guts was perhaps the only genuinely cared for. I completely bought his reaction to Guts leaving.

The downfall of Griffith was frankly just lame. I understand why he did what he did, and his feelings for Guts leaving, but it was not really convincing what transpired from those feeling. Considering the fact that Griffith is not an idiot and he knows the severe consequences of sleeping with the princess. It just wasn't realistic and believable to me.
Apr 19, 2014 7:46 AM
Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
gilgamesh310 said:
tsudecimo said:

The downfall of Griffith was frankly just lame. I understand why he did what he did, and his feelings for Guts leaving, but it was not really convincing what transpired from those feeling. Considering the fact that Griffith is not an idiot and he knows the severe consequences of sleeping with the princess. It just wasn't realistic and believable to me.

Griffith wasn't an idiot, no, but everyone has their moments of weakness and Guts was Griffith's major weakness. Guts leaving sent Griffith's dream tumbling down. His speech to Guts before he 'sacrifices' shows how much Guts meant to him. He was his world!
Sep 24, 2014 1:40 AM
Sep 2014
I've watched a ton of anime and read a ton of manga and adventure novels and Berserk's golden arc still holds it's self as one of the most amazing stories told. The main character is unique with interesting and believable character development. Not only is the story going somewhere, with each battle more is at stake and the goal is getting closer and closer. The combination of the Guts ' personality mixed the intriguing story of Griffith bring life and motion to the story. Arcing from the glory after the final battle to the dark low of the bloody eclipse. Even the slow change in Casca's personality and the timing of the romance, paced perfectly with the story. The side characters fit and added to the world. However, after the Golden Arc things changed, and for the worst!

Now I would love to say that the rest of the story after the golden arc was great, more character development, more of the characters we loved, more fast paced gripping story. However, that is not the case. There really is not anymore character development. The romance is gone along with most of the characters we got attached to in the first arc. The story seems to be going nowhere, and the whole thing about going to the fairy kingdom is extremely slow and seems a strange and almost pointless direction to go. Unless you love the story going closer and closer to a land full naked Pukes i mean Pucks. This brings me to my next point: The new characters. Google Guts' party. They consist of fairies little kids, and a knight lady and her servant. This manga is called Berserk and the main Character murders demons. How can this new party be a good addition to the Manga or substitution for the old characters? Ya they can be fun and comical, but they just seem out of place. Adding cute characters to one of the most gruesome mangas ever still confuses me. What was Kentaro Miura thinking?

The new story is alright but I was definitely not as interested. Most of the story consists of mini plots and Guts to the rescue. Which is not that bad, more of the action we all love, blood and guts. However, it's not the same. Griffiths goal is meaningless now and Guts' revenge seems to be more on the back burner. The story shifts focus on the cute characters and further and further away from Guts' revenge. Even the gore is getting less.

The main thing is the story now is just not the berserk from the first arc. It is just frustrating, when will Casca regain her mind?When will Guts get his revenge?Where is the battles? Where is the drive? All i see from now on is more little kid back stories, and more freaken naked fairies.
Sep 25, 2014 12:23 PM

Oct 2010
You all know that we will have the same discussion ten years from now
when Berserk would still be in progress.
I seems to me that even Miura doesn't care about the manga
Sep 26, 2014 11:08 AM

Jun 2012
I find it difficult to call something a masterpiece before it's finished, but as it is i give it a 10/10.

The golden age arc was the best arc, as everyone says, i don't see anything that was really so unbelievable, there was talk among characters saying they didn't know what type of person griffith was. Griffith even said himself that his men are pretty much just tools for him to achieve his dream, so why wouldn't he sacrifice them for power to come closer to realizing his dream? Especially after guts left him. And raping Casca is just a fuck you or maybe he was jelous.

I dont remember so much of the later arcs, i'm rereading as i buy it now and i'm coming to the end of the golden age arc now :D

I don't really have a problem with the magic items and i've never thought of it as a "shounen"

I like the berserk armor as well, i don't see why so many people dislike it, gutts is going to be fighting a god >.<

Anyway, the artwork is obviously a huge plus, the relationship between guts and griffith, the general theme of it and how guts has developed throughout the series. Also the hype surrounding characters like the skull knight and guts fighting griffith, if we ever get to that >.> I've never really been bored while reading berserk, i like all the arcs and think miura is a great storyteller. Those are my reasons, i could think of more, but i cba.
jimbob1141Sep 26, 2014 11:14 AM
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Sep 27, 2014 10:10 AM

Jan 2014
I don't know either. It's mostly gore and action fan-service, appeals to a lot of edgy teenagers I guess, same reason why Akame ga kill is popular.
Sep 27, 2014 10:14 AM

Jan 2013
0Gintoki_san0 said:
I don't know either. It's mostly gore and action fan-service, appeals to a lot of edgy teenagers I guess, same reason why Akame ga kill is popular.

Thats not the case at all. I think you either love Berserk or you don't.

Its not bout being edgy or any of that. When you read it you can feel the amazingness lol. I don't know how to explain, but a Berserk fan understands, the story hits you hard. I never felt more emotion than when I read Berserk.
Nov 28, 2014 8:46 PM

Oct 2013
it is above average, really like the art but there's nothing new to it
Dec 18, 2014 3:30 PM

Jul 2014
I agree, there isn't enough lolis.
Dec 19, 2014 7:19 AM

Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:
gilgamesh310 said:

It was very believable. Griffith was the type of guy that nobody could deny. He always got what he wanted, and he was serious when he told Guts that he belonged to him. When Guts decided to part ways, it was his first real loss and since he felt Guts was integral to his plan for taking over the kingdom he kinda lost his shit. Griffith was very smart, but he was also very unstable. He was and still is a very determined goal driven guy. Willing to sacrifice anything to achieve his dream. Everyone else is just a means to an end. The fact that someone had the audacity to deny him, was like denying him his goal/dream. His mind shattered, he had never tasted defeat before. In poor judgement he decided to hurt himself by rapping the Princess. At least that's the way I saw it.

Honestly that entire arc was a stroke of genius. I can understand why some people dislike Berserk as a whole, but I have yet to meet someone with very legitimate complains against the Golden Age arc. That said it's not for everyone, as many others have already said.
FullmetalRaikouDec 19, 2014 7:23 AM
Dec 21, 2014 6:18 AM

Jan 2013
Berserk is awesome, if you don't see why i feel bad for you.
Dec 22, 2014 7:31 PM
Nov 2008
Griffith knows that without Guts his plans to get higher and higher are slimming down. (I recall reading someone said that Griffith wouldn't have come this far without Guts and that might be true. Why did I use the word might? It took Griffith 3 years to get to that point with Guts, without him, it might have taken more than a decade.)

And so he came to a road block and the only way to clear it was to eventually marry the princess in order to become king. (Remember that the Kings brother's son would one day marry the princess and become King? What happens if the princess has been 'soiled'? I couldn't tell, it never has been discussed in the manga but this is left open for the reader. Use your own imagination, my rough guess is that the Kings brother would deny her, somewhere along these lines.)

This is the first time Griffith feels 'weak'. (I can walk and I can run and being losing my legs would change, if not destroy, my world. For me, this is what Griffith must have felt. Why? He has always been able to destroy an enemy with EASE, if such a thing gets taken away.. well, I already told you how I would feel and I can imagine him feeling the same.)

Just to name these 3 reason for why Griffith slept with the princess, there are a lot of reasons and they are mixed. From feeling powerless, feeling the loss of a friend, feeling denied for the first time, feeling like his power would never grow stronger and the feeling that there is only one way left to get what he wants.

P.S. The princess has ALWAYS been the only way up for Griffith, in that 'moment/day/week/month/year' of weakness he wanted to speed up the process. (We will never know for how long he would have felt that way. Remember, they have no antidepressants!)

P.S. again; I am a Berserk fan so if I try to make it look better than it is, excuse me. It's still subjective what I wrote.
Dec 23, 2014 12:01 PM

Jun 2011
ibrahim2712 said:

Couldn't have worded it better myself.

I rest my case.
I am the Wrath of God. Who else is with me?
Dec 23, 2014 12:12 PM

Mar 2012
One of the most imaginative worlds I've seen.
End Zionazism
Dec 25, 2014 11:23 PM

Dec 2014
It is so fucking funny seeing Comments of Mal Users to Berserk. Especiallyif most of them don't even seem to gras the story.
You wanna know why it is a msterpiece ?
Berserk is one of those few mangas were you have many many things done greatly.
Guts himself is one of the best Main Character's in Manga. Period.
The way his character gets fleshed out throughout the series is amazing and elements such as the beast of darkness just add something more unique and complex to his character.Not to forget on how it tied down to the Berserker Armor. Then you have Griffith, again one of the best Villians in Manga. Especially what he has done in the eclipse and after that prooves that. Sometimes i see comments on Mal even saying that Griffith isn't a villian. And that just makes me smh. Especially if they don't understand the difference between femto and Griffith. Leading that beside Berserk is a story were you will have everything,
a great main character, a great villian, amazing world buildung, extremely good an extremely good constructed plot, amazing writing with great symbolism and depth added to it, a very good sense of humor and placing the right things at the right moment and not to forget the Art.
Dec 25, 2014 11:35 PM

Dec 2014
And also for the people who say that it goes downhill after the Golden age arc....
It just makes me shake my head.
Overall the millenium falcon arc is objectively the better arc. Miura started to improve in his story telling and in his art throughout the series. In the milleium falcon arc Guts gets great development. The addition of Shierke, Farnese, Serpico and Isidro just made his character better. Someone like him especially after the eclipse never every thought of trusting someone, which was understandable especially after the betrayels he had to go througn. Besides that in Volume 24 Miura finally started to answer questions especially when it comes to the world. The world itself is overall always an really important factor in Fantasy series. Explenatiosn were needed and he did it in that volume. Side character's such as Shierke, Farnese went through alot of development and besides that Miura also found a way to still make Femtos character complex and interesting after the golden age. All that dream creating in the conviction arc and playing the facade of the white falcon just made him a better villian and with the demon child affecting his actions complexity was added to his character. Not to forget the appearance of the moonlight boy which ties down to both. Overall the millenium falcon arc beats the golden age in every aspect. Objectively. The conclusion to it everything the build up made sense and was handled greatly. The addition of the Kushans also made the story better. One thing Berserk does great is the way it approaches fantasy. Normally you have the good white knight fighting the bad black knight, but in Berserk it is the opposite. It approaches alot of stuff in such an unliche way which also adds an great aspect to the Series. One thing i realized. Many readers of Berserk don'tunderstand the story especially what comes afterwards the eclipse, hence stil lto this day there are some readers who don't understand the difference between Femto and Griffith Lmao.
Jan 16, 2015 10:07 AM

Aug 2014
tl;dr

But to answer your question about why I consider it a masterpiece:
1) I absolutely love medieval fantasy settings
2) Complex and very well fleshed out characters
3) Dark and complex themes
4) Well thought out and written plot
5) It has the balls to show pornographic content
6) It showcases what life in medieval times was actually like
7) At it's core it is a social commentary about the people in medieval times and everything wrong with people in general
8) It has amazing art that gradually gets better and better

That's basically it.
Jan 16, 2015 5:50 PM

Feb 2013
Mangetsu1010 said:
And also for the people who say that it goes downhill after the Golden age arc....
Overall the millenium falcon arc is objectively the better arc. Miura started to improve in his story telling and in his art throughout the series. In the milleium falcon arc Guts gets great development. The addition of Shierke, Farnese, Serpico and Isidro just made his character better. Someone like him especially after the eclipse never every thought of trusting someone, which was understandable especially after the betrayels he had to go througn. Besides that in Volume 24 Miura finally started to answer questions especially when it comes to the world. The world itself is overall always an really important factor in Fantasy series. Explenatiosn were needed and he did it in that volume. Side character's such as Shierke, Farnese went through alot of development and besides that Miura also found a way to still make Femtos character complex and interesting after the golden age. All that dream creating in the conviction arc and playing the facade of the white falcon just made him a better villian and with the demon child affecting his actions complexity was added to his character. Not to forget the appearance of the moonlight boy which ties down to both. Overall the millenium falcon arc beats the golden age in every aspect. Objectively. The conclusion to it everything the build up made sense and was handled greatly. The addition of the Kushans also made the story better. One thing Berserk does great is the way it approaches fantasy. Normally you have the good white knight fighting the bad black knight, but in Berserk it is the opposite. It approaches alot of stuff in such an unliche way which also adds an great aspect to the Series. One thing i realized. Many readers of Berserk don'tunderstand the story especially what comes afterwards the eclipse, hence stil lto this day there are some readers who don't understand the difference between Femto and Griffith Lmao.

there was a lot of needless faffing about and repetitve monster battles in the Millenium Falcon arc. Also Puck is a terrible character. His attempts at humor (especially the Doraemon references) are forced and at odds with the rest of the series. You say Guts undergoes great development here? Not so sure I'd say it's as good as in the Golden Age arc in which he went from a lone wolf to a loyal ally to finding romance to having his entire world upheaved at once. In the Millenium Falcon arc it's just him learning to open up a little after being betrayed and curse, not bad, but not quite on the same level writing wise as before.
gedataJan 16, 2015 5:56 PM
Jan 16, 2015 5:51 PM

Dec 2012
LIFE_TO_PRIEST said:
ibrahim2712 said:

Couldn't have worded it better myself.

I rest my case.

+1
Jan 18, 2015 11:44 AM

Dec 2014
gedata said:
Mangetsu1010 said:

there was a lot of needless faffing about and repetitve monster battles in the Millenium Falcon arc. Also Puck is a terrible character. His attempts at humor (especially the Doraemon references) are forced and at odds with the rest of the series. You say Guts undergoes great development here? Not so sure I'd say it's as good as in the Golden Age arc in which he went from a lone wolf to a loyal ally to finding romance to having his entire world upheaved at once. In the Millenium Falcon arc it's just him learning to open up a little after being betrayed and curse, not bad, but not quite on the same level writing wise as before.

First of all Humor is completely subjective, it is up to you if you like it or not. And calling it forced is pretty much Bullshit, since comedy is a part of Berserk since the first chapter. Countless references have been made throughout the series and they don't harm the series at all, since they are mostly small panels of puck saying something funny. Nor to expect something amazing from a character like Puck blows my mind. ''It's just him learning to open up a little bit after being betrayed'' Laughable how you downplay his development after the golden age. It wasn'T just him opening up a bit, it gwent beyond that. It tied down to Guts speech after the Eclipse, his decleration of War and his thoughts when he set foot on his jouurney on killing Apostles. He thought that the only thing which keeps him going, was his bloodthirst in killing these demons. And he was wrong, showing again of how much not of an perfect person he is. He again left someone dear to him behind, hence themost important person to him. He changed his whole goal, only to bring Casca into a safe place. Guts after the eclipse was mentally broken then ever. Him opening up to others has a lot of significance, hence at first he wouldn't have accepted anyone, he felt helpess, when farnese asked to join him he played it down cool saying that she can do whate ver she wants unless she doesn't bug him. But in reality, he was helpless, he couldn't have done everything by himself. He found again something which he had lost, and that was the warmth of other people, and btw let us not forget that he still has development going on. Besides that, his character got expanded. It was not just him warming up to other people, he also had his innner conflict with the ''Beast of Darkness'' a pshychological construct, Guts dark side. This was an element that even expanded his character and added complexity to his whole character. It made his development just betetr and more twisted and complex.
IntersticeJan 18, 2015 12:50 PM
Jan 27, 2015 1:37 PM

Jan 2013
Best youtube comment i've read in a while lmao

http://i.imgur.com/vT74S7X.jpg?1
Jan 29, 2015 7:34 AM

Mar 2014
If you dont consider this a masterpiece than thats your opinion but to many people, myself included this manga is an absolute classic.

P.S
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIFFFFFFFFFFFIIIITTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 29, 2015 6:43 PM

Sep 2013
A fantasy masterpiece.

Characters is 10/10
Art is 10/10
Shock factor is 10/10
Fights 10/10
Batman is in Berserk!!! 10/10!!!
Feb 1, 2015 3:41 AM

Nov 2014
I dont even know how i feel about Berserk anymore Griffith is still awesome though
Feb 4, 2015 5:52 AM

Dec 2012
Gungnir0 said:
A fantasy masterpiece.

Characters is 10/10
Art is 10/10
Shock factor is 10/10
Fights 10/10
Batman is in Berserk!!! 10/10!!!

Don't insult Batman, mate.
Feb 5, 2015 6:42 PM

Feb 2012
I don't know. I just read it for the titgore and a guy with BFS.

Is it more than that? Probably. Does it also have a lot of problems? Probably.

The thing is that I just don't care. I got a good dose of manlyness and that's the most important thing.
Feb 11, 2015 2:56 AM

Feb 2015
First post wooo

I love beserk for one reason because guts is bad ass mother fucker with a rape sword of doom!

I'm pretty simple and people that share this same thought is probably why it's praised so highly hahaha

God damn guts is a animal

Look my pic..clearly fan boy

Beserk the greatest ftw nigglets
At that moment, no one will be able to stand in our way..You will be swallowed whole by me..Racing with hatred and ecstasy..So that these fangs will chew on the true light that burns me..For now so be it..I will deign to obey you..Within my depths, from the bottom of darkness..I shall breathe lightly..Keep me in chains..suppress me..I will store my power..And then..One day..
Feb 12, 2015 3:59 PM

Dec 2010
Berserk enthralls two kinds of audiences: people who turn off their brain and get lost in the many beautiful/disturbing panels showcasing lots and lots of manly violence, and people who want something with substance (fleshed out characters with subtle characterization and development in Guts and Griffith, the nature of the IoE, God Hand and the apostles, thought-provoking philosophical arguments of determinism vs free will, maturity in its handling of violence and other harsh subjects, worldbuilding without throwing it in your face, etc.) All of this is woven masterfully during Berserk's prime (Golden Age arc and arguably the Conviction arc).

Its attempts at humor tend to suck though. :P
epicscreatorFeb 12, 2015 4:02 PM
Jul 28, 2016 10:38 PM
Jul 2016
berserk is not just this its one of the best dark fantasy thing on earth you just need deal berserk is better than your fav manga
Jul 28, 2016 10:57 PM

Jul 2013
people don't read alot of manga (myself included) and berserk has become baby's first manga(beautiful art/dark fantasy/tragedy the west eats that shit up) for alot of people and it almost feels most dont even read any other manga beside it

it's 10/10 art but the story has slowly been drifting away from its origins for a very long time now even if thats the authors intentions i dont really care i just miss when Gut's was an asshole and fucked shit up
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Artstyle is not everything, story matters!!! ( 1 2 )

CoffeewithEdgawa - Apr 7

80 by BakLol »»
Today, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 14 Discussion

Rasco - Sep 24, 2010

32 by MrGutz »»
Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kage-bunshin - Aug 30, 2009

60 by life_is_cringe »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 9 Discussion

DreamTheater2112 - May 21, 2009

49 by MrGutz »»
Apr 20, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 110 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Nov 6, 2011

23 by Rhaelynne »»
Apr 18, 10:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.