Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 22, 2014 2:12 PM

Jan 2014
MrAM said:
renders said:
judals said:
renders said:
fma brotherhood is generic
main chars have a sad story,they meet other sad characters and inspire them with their bs sad story...then the plot kicks in and the bad guys appear who get defeated by the main chars helped by all the characters they encountered

relatively generic compared to the original.
But significantly less generic than the other generic shonen.

OT: When it does the same thing over and over. Or have generic characters, and by that I mean shallow characters with simple motivations that can only be differentiated by name, design (or it can be generic-looking as well if that's absent) or a gimmick.

They follow linear, over-used plotline in the same fashion as any had before them, having executed them in a not so different way.

wrong it's pretty safe and generic compared to good shounens like one piece or hunter x hunter
you can tell fma it's made by a woman since they don't seem to grasp the action shounen very well

Explorations of morality, horrors of science, religion, sin, redemption, etc. are pretty heavy topics for a shonen, and far beyond anything One Piece has tried to do (though I still think its a very good manga).

One Piece has covered slavery, corruption, redemption, sins of the father and sacrifice, which are also pretty heavy topics for a shonen as you say.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 22, 2014 2:18 PM

Oct 2013
RedRoseFring said:
MrAM said:
renders said:
judals said:
renders said:
main chars have a sad story,they meet other sad characters and inspire them with their bs sad story...then the plot kicks in and the bad guys appear who get defeated by the main chars helped by all the characters they encountered

OT: When it does the same thing over and over. Or have generic characters, and by that I mean shallow characters with simple motivations that can only be differentiated by name, design (or it can be generic-looking as well if that's absent) or a gimmick.

They follow linear, over-used plotline in the same fashion as any had before them, having executed them in a not so different way.

wrong it's pretty safe and generic compared to good shounens like one piece or hunter x hunter
you can tell fma it's made by a woman since they don't seem to grasp the action shounen very well

Explorations of morality, horrors of science, religion, sin, redemption, etc. are pretty heavy topics for a shonen, and far beyond anything One Piece has tried to do (though I still think its a very good manga).

One Piece has covered slavery, corruption, redemption, sins of the father and sacrifice, which are also pretty heavy topics for a shonen as you say.

While one piece has done so, they did it in a way where it was more or less pushed aside bar the slavery which is very heavily oriented in one piece. To me fma was able to catch my attention better with the whole situation of these topics. That doesn't take away from how good one piece is though.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Feb 22, 2014 2:22 PM

Jan 2014
7thVoid said:
RedRoseFring said:
MrAM said:
renders said:
judals said:
renders said:

While one piece has done so, they did it in a way where it was more or less pushed aside bar the slavery which is very heavily oriented in one piece. To me fma was able to catch my attention better with the whole situation of these topics. That doesn't take away from how good one piece is though.

Really? FMA spent very little time on actual religion or sin. Morality is a theme it carried throughout, but corruption is also prevalent all through One Piece. It's nearly impossible to miss themes that were made so obvious.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 22, 2014 2:25 PM

Oct 2013
RedRoseFring said:
7thVoid said:
RedRoseFring said:
MrAM said:
renders said:
judals said:
renders said:

Really? FMA spent very little time on actual religion or sin. Morality is a theme it carried throughout, but corruption is also prevalent all through One Piece. It's nearly impossible to miss themes that were made so obvious.

I know they were put in there but because of the overall tone aside from moments like when ace died it became more of an undertone of the series for me. I also understand that one piece isn't suppose to be dark like fma, but maybe that's why my opinion is as it is?"shrugs"
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

Feb 22, 2014 2:28 PM

Oct 2013
HaXXspetten said:
ecchi anime that doesn't even try to be sexy in any way but rather just plasters oversized breasts wherever possible

High School DxD in a nutshell
Feb 22, 2014 2:54 PM

Jan 2012
7thVoid said:
RedRoseFring said:
7thVoid said:
RedRoseFring said:
MrAM said:
renders said:
judals said:
renders said:

I know they were put in there but because of the overall tone aside from moments like when ace died it became more of an undertone of the series for me. I also understand that one piece isn't suppose to be dark like fma, but maybe that's why my opinion is as it is?"shrugs"

Tbh Hxh's chimera ant arc alone puts fma to shame,the way it puts you into every characters mind regardless how minor that character is,and how togashi makes you sympathise with the main antagonist while you're watching him being humanized,also how he makes you scared of gon the main character who's always been happy and carefree and feel bad for neferpitou who took away a close person from gon...it's shit like this that deserves to be #1
Feb 22, 2014 2:55 PM

Oct 2012
cliche characters, cliche plot, and many other cliche stuff
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 22, 2014 2:58 PM

Oct 2013
renders said:
7thVoid said:
RedRoseFring said:
7thVoid said:
RedRoseFring said:
MrAM said:
renders said:
judals said:
renders said:

Tbh Hxh's chimera ant arc alone puts fma to shame,the way it puts you into every characters mind regardless how minor that character is,and how togashi makes you sympathise with the main antagonist while you're watching him being humanized,also how he makes you scared of gon the main character who's always been happy and carefree and feel bad for neferpitou who took away a close person from gon...it's shit like this that deserves to be #1

psychological wise I'll agree with you there. I was personally stating my opinion on the two series rather than series as a whole.

Feb 22, 2014 2:59 PM

May 2013
renders said:
7thVoid said:
RedRoseFring said:
7thVoid said:
RedRoseFring said:
MrAM said:
renders said:
judals said:
renders said:

I absolutely adore the Chimera Ant arc (my favorite HxH arc) and could write about it endlessly for days. But it doesn't put FMA to shame, because it had many of the same things that make that arc great, just in a different manner. If you don't see it, that's fine; opinions are opinions. But there's far, far more to FMA (Brotherhood and manga) than many people give it credit for.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 22, 2014 3:01 PM

Sep 2013
MrAM said:
I absolutely adore the Chimera Ant arc (my favorite HxH arc) and could write about it endlessly for days. But it doesn't put FMA to shame, because it had many of the same things that make that arc great, just in a different manner. If you don't see it, that's fine; opinions are opinions. But there's far, far more to FMA (Brotherhood and manga) than many people give it credit for.

Is the original series that lacking?
y'all need to shut the fuck up.
Feb 22, 2014 3:01 PM

Jan 2012
MrAM said:
renders said:
7thVoid said:
RedRoseFring said:
7thVoid said:
RedRoseFring said:
MrAM said:
renders said:
judals said:
renders said:

really like what?the homunculus could have won that war so easily but everything was so convenient that the entire ''war'' was so cheesy especially the greed part
Feb 22, 2014 3:05 PM

Sep 2013
renders said:

really like what?the homunculus could have won that war so easily but everything was so convenient that the entire ''war'' was so cheesy especially the greed part

IMO, Father was a crappy villain amongst an amazing series. I think the fight was just made so people could be like, "Ed's such a badass!"
Feb 22, 2014 3:07 PM

Dec 2012
I'd say something is generic if it follows a trending formula. That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad though, since execution is far more important that originality. Something can also be generic while having individualism, I've seen at least a dozen different police shows on TNT and each one has its own MO. Same thing can be applied to cute girls/cute things, harems, battle shounen, etc.
Feb 22, 2014 3:08 PM

Jun 2011
UnderTheBridge said:
MrAM said:

I personally think the original series deserves far more credit than it gets. While I personally prefer Brotherhood overall, the original FMA was better in some aspects. Especially with it's more bleak and depressing tone compared to Brotherhood. One of the few with anime-original that didn't rub me the wrong way.

Feb 22, 2014 3:09 PM

Oct 2013
UnderTheBridge said:
renders said:

IMO, Father was a crappy villain amongst an amazing series. I think the fight was just made so people could be like, "Ed's such a badass!"

More along the lines of "I don't know how to kill this dude so I'll just let edward hit him in the face once and be done with it". Other than that the series was still above average imo.

Feb 22, 2014 3:10 PM

Jan 2012
SolBlade said:
UnderTheBridge said:
MrAM said:

I personally think the original series deserves far more credit than it gets. While I personally prefer Brotherhood overall, the original FMA was better in some aspects. Especially with it's more bleak and depressing tone compared to Brotherhood. One of the few with anime-original that didn't rub me the wrong way.

I liked in brotherhood what they did with that moustached character I forgot his name...in the original there was a filler with him in a town with some bs mine story,but in here they introduced him,showed that filler in a flashback and moved on
Feb 22, 2014 3:14 PM

May 2013
UnderTheBridge said:
MrAM said:

Can't comment on that, as I'm still watching it at the moment. I like what I see so far, but the endless changes from the manga in even the most minor things are a bit jarring.

@Father He wasn't the best villain ever written, but I was fond of his purpose in the story and what he represented. His personality is pretty interesting once you get past his seemingly stereotypical motive of "I want to be God."

@renders I don't intend to have a full-blown debate over FMA's merits in this topic, and it will more than likely escalate into a pointless argument that will diverge way off-topic and end with neither of us changing the other's mind. I've seen it happen way too many times to fall into this trap myself. If you want to discuss it PM me. To answer your current objection though, I don't see how the homunculus could have won the war so easily, and I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean since you didn't elaborate, and the Greed part didn't strike me as particularly cheesy; if it did for you, more power to you.

Again, though, if you really want to debate this PM me or comment on my profile so we don't clutter this topic.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 22, 2014 3:14 PM

Sep 2013
SolBlade said:
UnderTheBridge said:
MrAM said:

It's my favorite anime as of yet, and it really pisses me off that people think Brotherhood is like THE BEST EVAR but the original was just a stupid piece of shit. Cuz, I mean, no one liked the FMA franchise until Brotherhood came along, right?
Feb 22, 2014 3:16 PM

Sep 2013
renders said:
SolBlade said:
UnderTheBridge said:
MrAM said:

I liked in brotherhood what they did with that moustached character I forgot his name...in the original there was a filler with him in a town with some bs mine story,but in here they introduced him,showed that filler in a flashback and moved on
Yoki? That was in the manga. I liked that the original kept it in. Brotherhood should have, considering he was in quite a few episodes as a comic relief. Brotherhood, honestly, should have had a few more episodes.
Feb 22, 2014 3:19 PM

Jun 2011
UnderTheBridge said:
renders said:
SolBlade said:
UnderTheBridge said:
MrAM said:

Yoki? That was in the manga. I liked that the original kept it in. Brotherhood should have, considering he was in quite a few episodes as a comic relief. Brotherhood, honestly, should have had a few more episodes.

Brotherhood would be around 80 episodes if the first 10 weren't paced so fast. The first 10 episodes of Brotherhood cover the first 25 in the original, if I recall correctly. So basically, up to the point where

Feb 22, 2014 3:22 PM

Sep 2013
SolBlade said:
UnderTheBridge said:
renders said:

Brotherhood would be around 80 episodes if the first 10 weren't paced so fast. The first 10 episodes of Brotherhood cover the first 25 in the original, if I recall correctly. So basically, up to the point where
That's true. Hughes was too lacking in Brotherhood/Manga. It made his
The original did stretch out a bit too much, though. Like, they had a few really terrible filler episodes (i.e. Majhal, Psiren, the Other Brothers Elric), and the Lab 5 arc was like an episode and a half too long, but you got to know the characters more.

Oh, and I like that they kept the Fullmetal vs. Flame fight in there. It made everything so much better.
Feb 22, 2014 3:35 PM

Jul 2013
I'd say that what makes an anime generic is if it's unmemorable and/or doesn't bring or try anything new, making it not stick out at all. Though generic doesn't necessarily automatically mean bad, I think they generally mean forgettable and one-dimensional.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Feb 22, 2014 4:12 PM

Aug 2009
Now a days: Boobs.
10 years ago: I dunno. Shows like Naruto/Bleach/One Piece/Dragon Ball.
20 years ago: Mechs?

Feb 22, 2014 9:23 PM

Apr 2012
shadedclan said:
Or should generic anime not be made anymore?

I think generic anime can still be bad. Sure, a lot of SoL anime are the same and don't add anything new to the genre, but I still find them enjoyable to watch. I don't think everything needs to be super interesting and ground breaking, sometimes I just want to watch school girls being cute.
Feb 22, 2014 11:39 PM

Apr 2013
Everything is generic nowadays
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Feb 22, 2014 11:41 PM

Nov 2008
Generic doesn't mean not enjoyable. Not everything can be the best thing ever.
Feb 23, 2014 6:14 AM
Jul 2012
Generic =/= unoriginal... It's mostly about the execution, when things seem dull and exactly how you expect them to be

Looooooool @ Code Geass being generic, big deal if you know that lelouch is somewhat inspired from reinhard, that's not the point, it actually has the balls to mix all of those ideas and actually manages to keep some catharsis going(unlike true trainwrecks lile guilty crown)

Best example of generic mecha or anime is general is break blade, just watch the first movie it speaks for itself

As for fmab yeah main reason why original is much better is that fmab just didn't have any "magic", everything was pretty rushed and spoonfed to the viewer, but people didn't care about the tone of the series when they just wanted more battles.
Feb 23, 2014 8:11 AM

Jan 2013
generic? the perfect example for that would be Mahou Sensou which is currently airing.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

70 by omorashi »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

210 by perseii »»
7 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

34 by joseifan »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

125 by logopolis »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

36 by Acctra »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.