Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2014 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That new manager's attitude is starting to piss me off now. Episode felt slow, WUG really need to step it up...

I do see some confidence there though and at least Airi came back. Dat incoming festival.
Stark700Feb 21, 2014 11:06 AM
Feb 21, 2014 11:22 AM

May 2013
Yoshino was able to let out her feelings. Glad to see Airi back with the group. Now they have something to look forward to at the festival.
Feb 21, 2014 11:48 AM

Sep 2011
Slow episode. Manager still being a pissy guy, but that's no surprise.
Feb 21, 2014 12:34 PM

Feb 2014
well said yoppi ! damn, hayasaka just want to see their true friendship in complicated ways -_-
skourpyFeb 22, 2014 8:06 AM
Feb 21, 2014 1:18 PM

Aug 2013
I'm glad that Airi decided to come back, and her friends from WUG not abandoned her. Nice ep.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 21, 2014 1:27 PM
Oct 2012
Humm, I think I would have preferred what I wrote last week, but this was fine. A bit on the slow emotional side, but what I liked was that the characters acted like regular people (I identified with the clock watching "we are not getting anywhere" girl - that would have been what I would have thought in that situation).

Liking the producer more, basing his decision on getting 3 UFO Catcher dolls was the quirky strange thing an artist would do. And he is really there to have fun, not as a job, and I have the feeling he likes idols who can think for themselves.

Still think Yoppi is the weak link, though she took a big step forward this week, will have to see how Mayu responds next week. They really need to start setting her up for what's to come.
Feb 21, 2014 4:39 PM

Jun 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Humm, I think I would have preferred what I wrote last week, but this was fine. A bit on the slow emotional side, but what I liked was that the characters acted like regular people (I identified with the clock watching "we are not getting anywhere" girl - that would have been what I would have thought in that situation).

Liking the producer more, basing his decision on getting 3 UFO Catcher dolls was the quirky strange thing an artist would do. And he is really there to have fun, not as a job, and I have the feeling he likes idols who can think for themselves.

Still think Yoppi is the weak link, though she took a big step forward this week, will have to see how Mayu responds next week. They really need to start setting her up for what's to come.

Yoppi had a very good start at being the responsible, realistic person, but then just dropped in the shadow of the other characters. There were several occasions you expected to see her acting, but she didn't. This made her actually look like a weak character. I was really happy to see her picking up one of the magazines and reading up on the job of being a good leader in the last episode.
This episode gave her more time and development. It was ok for a further buildup.
I just found it every entertaining to see that pulling someone out of the deepest swamp of depression takes as much time as collecting three dolls out of a toy slot machine. The alternating between those scenes was good.
Overall it just felt like another Kokoro Connect approach of plot in this series. In the end everything is fine again.
Let's hope for some trouble next week!
ChepriFeb 21, 2014 5:20 PM
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Feb 21, 2014 5:14 PM

Oct 2013
I liked this episode, but it was a bit more predictable. I thought the best part was the breaking of the ice between Mayu and Yoppi. It was good for Yoppi to reveal her anxiety and self-doubt to Mayu and Airi.
Feb 21, 2014 5:48 PM
Jul 2013
Airi returned to the group. Bah.
Feb 21, 2014 6:32 PM

Mar 2013
Fuk airi.

sums up my feelings pretty well.
Feb 21, 2014 6:52 PM
Feb 2014
I'm curious to see what the guy's goal is. Is he a good or bad guy? Is he just playing with them? I felt that way the first time I saw him. Still feeling it but not as strong as before.
5 Centimeters Per Second - Or what I'd like to call as 5 Anime Wallpapers Per Second.
Feb 21, 2014 9:12 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I think the guy has lost interest in 1-1 Club because of how they operate in the Idol factory. I mean 1-1 club practices more like a manufacturing idol group. Then comes WUG and he feels they can get to 1-1 club's level if they practice hard and have determination. Pretty much a bring Airi back and toy game episode. Felt kind of slow but good thing Airi is back.

Also horrible out of sync subs online. I was on AnimeUltima and all of the videos for the episode were out of sync.

Feb 21, 2014 9:15 PM

Aug 2013
Hayashida's eccentric. I don't think he's a bad guy at all. He's probably working with WUG because it's more like a challenge for himself and out of interest if he will he be able to make something out of them or not.

Yay Airi! I do hope they step it up next episode. I'm fine with character development and all but I'm kind of hoping they'd show us something fun once in a while :p
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 21, 2014 9:23 PM
Mar 2012
Glad the group is back together. Now time to prepare for the idol festival
Feb 21, 2014 9:31 PM

Jul 2009
WUG WUG WUG WUG

WUG is so fun to say

l know this is text but pretend l'm saying it with my mouth
Feb 21, 2014 11:25 PM
Jul 2018
It was good to see Airi was back to the group.
Feb 21, 2014 11:55 PM

Sep 2009
Hayashida is pretty cool but idk if i like him or not.
He seems like an Okita Sougo that live in the present instead of Edo haha. Not to mention they have the same voice and hair colour.
Feb 22, 2014 2:39 AM

Dec 2011
I'm starting to get some ideas about Wake Up Girls... correct me if I am completely off please...

If you hadn't noticed from the 2nd opening theme "7 Girls War", each of the 7 girls are represented with a colour of the rainbow. They also perform with ties of that colour. A rainbow is generally a beautiful arc of colours formed with co-operation from both sun and rain. But, a rainbow is incomplete with just 6 colours - Wake Up Girls is incomplete without Airi.

As far as I understand, when the 7 colours of the visible spectrum unite, a white light is perceived - white, a symbol of purity, as are idols.
Feb 22, 2014 2:56 AM

Nov 2012
and airi returns with the power of friendship!! ;)
Feb 22, 2014 8:19 AM

Sep 2013
i actually like the manager tbh. his method of teaching is very realistic
if they couldn't get past that hurdle then ofc they'd never make it in the market

i'm not a big fan of "friendship saving the day" but for this show i don't mind :) lol
Feb 22, 2014 5:23 PM

Jan 2014
lol @ minami getting happy before hayasaka explained what they had to do
that mofo wanted three from the machine, not impossible but indeed very damn hard

anyway airi coming back had to be done. shes got enough heart to be an idol as much as anyone in the group if not more, but obviously lacks refined technique (which hopefully will be fixed)
[right]
Feb 22, 2014 5:59 PM
Oct 2012
corextele said:
anyway airi coming back had to be done. shes got enough heart to be an idol as much as anyone in the group if not more, but obviously lacks refined technique (which hopefully will be fixed)

What they should do is to have her improve, but not by that much. They said this an episode or two ago, but a real troupe should be able aware of the strengths and weaknesses of their members and balance them out. Airi isn't the best at singing and dancing, but she is the emotional heart of the group, and sets the tone for the more talented members. That is what she brings (and it is an important thing, which is why the leader in a lot of groups isn't the most talented person).

Her identity is the one who tries, a very valuable role since many people want to root for the underdog. Of course she has to correct her obvious gaffes, but she doesn't have to be perfect if the other members can adjust to this.
Feb 22, 2014 6:28 PM

Feb 2013
Things went as expected. Friendship stats increased.

Mayu is still too quiet though...
Feb 22, 2014 6:47 PM

Apr 2011
It was funny to see Yoppi and Airi hugging and crying together.

I'm glads she's back.
Feb 22, 2014 7:47 PM

Mar 2008
Cute crying girls makes me sad. I can't handle these kind of episodes ;_;
Feb 22, 2014 9:21 PM

Aug 2012
I love how they keep having those seiyuu show their face in the end while doing voice.. I WISHHH every anime do that
"I don't like Megane, I love them"

Feb 22, 2014 11:55 PM

Oct 2010
Why is this anime so good.

I ended up watching a YT video of someone's pilgrimage to Sendai, the setting of WUG, and comparing all the numerous scenes in anime and real life. All of the reoccurring places in the anime have promotional WUG posters IRL, and there's even a WUG museum.

Now I want to go to Sendai.
Feb 23, 2014 4:46 AM

Jul 2013
I almost cried watching Airi and Yoppi crying together. At the same time it was kinda funny that they look like a couple of brats who just made up after having a fight.. I suppose that's how girls are.

Idol festival huh.. I'd love to see them try to get a spot on national music shows first but I guess time constraints so they have to skip to the big event.
Feb 23, 2014 5:09 AM

May 2010
I was taking a look at akb48 idol group today, and man, is I-1 club inspired by that? It has 89 members so I was thinking maybe that's how it is.

I loved this episode.
Feb 25, 2014 9:21 PM

Sep 2013
I was laughing through that whole crying scene :P

Lol he had the samurai doll in his coat pocket.
Mar 1, 2014 12:39 PM

Jun 2012
Aggron said:
I was laughing through that whole crying scene :P.

Haha me too, they were like 2 big babies. Glad the group is back together.
Mar 9, 2014 5:14 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Without a subtitling as it should be is hard to understand, how this can be serious anime, when we focus on the dialogues.
I think it's quite as weighted plot, but I would even more so in terms of narrrazione component and technical-graphics, oh well! ^ _ ^
The Manager may be hard, but to give an example, if a boat is actually built in the best possible way, then you head into a stormy sea and not in a placid summer day, to be sure of its quality!
Look next to figure out where we want to go with this series.
May 3, 2014 8:14 AM

May 2012
Nice development! I wonder what the next episode will bring us!
Jun 8, 2014 10:55 PM

Dec 2012
I think despite Hayasaka's eccentric approach, he really made a good point about the whole pretending to be friends. Honestly I don't think I've seen the girls get along as well and naturally as they did until when they were trying to win those toys for him. Also on the flip side it was good that Yoppi, Airi, and Mayu opened up and conveyed their honest feelings about everything. A sweet moment although the crying sounded really awkward.

Robin6128 said:

If you hadn't noticed from the 2nd opening theme "7 Girls War", each of the 7 girls are represented with a colour of the rainbow. They also perform with ties of that colour. A rainbow is generally a beautiful arc of colours formed with co-operation from both sun and rain. But, a rainbow is incomplete with just 6 colours - Wake Up Girls is incomplete without Airi.

As far as I understand, when the 7 colours of the visible spectrum unite, a white light is perceived - white, a symbol of purity, as are idols.

That's a really interesting take on it and I wholeheartedly agree. I think that just goes to show how much more radiant and shining WUG is compared to I-1 which treats its members as replaceable cogs in a machine.
Jun 23, 2014 2:01 AM

May 2010
Robin6128 said:
I'm starting to get some ideas about Wake Up Girls... correct me if I am completely off please...

LOL that is so cheesy. I love it!
Jul 10, 2014 8:57 AM

Aug 2013
Hmm.. how should I put it..
It's a big change compared to when I watched Idolm@sters etc.
This is quite depressing and opposite of the usual selling point of idols anime.
But it's realistic to back it up I suppose...
Either way I still like it though its not all for the enjoyment.
On another note.. it's a big change to the beginning little fan service stuff.
I would like to see them pump up a level training for the idol festival with some nice song and dance.
Looking forward to what comes next.
Dec 20, 2015 4:47 PM

Apr 2012
Aggron said:
I was laughing through that whole crying scene :P

When I was watching it with my brother, I joked that Mayu was probably thinking "The hell, they're both crying, maybe I should cry too." lol
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Jan 27, 2017 6:43 PM

Jul 2014
Soo power of friendship saves the day, whoopdeedo... bring it festival!
Sep 20, 2018 3:56 AM

Nov 2013
This retarded crying scene made me cringe and swear.
They should have just exchanged Airi for normal member.
But Yoppi is still awesome.
Apr 29, 2020 10:49 AM

Feb 2018
Comeback dont leave wake up girls
Jun 13, 2021 4:59 AM

Feb 2020
Very emotional episode. I'm glad Airi is back. ^_^

SerafosMar 10, 11:15 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2014

59 by Rakabat »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2014

107 by koneroko »»
May 2, 2022 11:33 PM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2014

100 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 9:20 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2014

40 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 8:40 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2014

47 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 6:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.