Forum Settings
Forums

Spotlight Character: Oscar Francois de Jarjayes (Rose of Versailles)

New
How would you rate this character?
Aug 14, 2009 8:45 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Character: Oscar Francois de Jarjayes (Rose of Versailles)

MAL Character Information Page: Oscar Francois de Jarjayes

MAL Favorites: 137

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character moulds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Oscar Francois de Jarjayes was PERMANENTLY inducted into the club Character list:
28 Yes - 93.3%
2 No - 6.6%

37 Don't know this character - 52.1% of the total number polled
4 Abstained - 5.6% of the total number polled

*Since this character has made the cut-off percentage-wise but has failed to gather enough votes, it is now once more available for nomination due to rule changes. (August 2011)

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Oscar Francois de Jarjayes passed but failed to meet minimum voting requirements:
12 Yes - 85.7%
2 No - 14.3%

75 Don't Know - 84.2% of the total number polled

On 02/19/2010 Oscar Francois de Jarjayes will be voted on for a second and final time
santetjanJan 25, 2012 8:07 AM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 14, 2009 2:10 PM

Sep 2007
God, the last time I saw anything of Lady Oscar I was about... six or so. I remember not liking it very much back then, but that's probably more a testament to the quality of the anime's plot more than anything else.
Aug 14, 2009 6:26 PM

Dec 2007
Considering the anime plot is pretty close to brilliant I think it's more of a testimony of your insight at the age of 6 than anything else. And yes, my 6 y/o godson also finds it boring, so it's perfectly understandable.

In a rush, one of the best female leads of history. So an absolute yes, even if I try to ignore how much I love the anime and the manga. In the next post (or maybe in this one) I will write a detailed and exhaustive essay on her - that will serve for the manga spotlight when it comes muahah - and probably translate some short expositions on the character that came with the French special edition.

If you don't remember her well, go watch the anime. The main difference from the manga, as asked before, is just that she is more She as the manga focus more on her confusion and decisions on her social and sexual role (for example, in the manga she gets a suggestion of marriage). The importance of her relationship with Andre also differs in the moments, but here it's more on his influence on her character than anything else.

But I'd better leave this for a later discussion, as the dog of this house is begging me to open the door so he can go watch tv.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Aug 18, 2009 1:07 PM

Dec 2007
I said:
This is something I'm writing from a trasatlantic plane. It's 9 hours of travel so I got all the time I want. Or at least till the laptop battery is over. I will use this time and oportunity to dissecate my dear Oscar. Maybe this is just an exercise for me and will not convince anyone, but I don't care because I have 7 hours of flight left and I'm bored as hell.

For starters, this evaluation is based both off the manga and the anime. I believe that concerning Oscar's character more than copying the manga, the anime completes her exposition. There are three main points I would like to focus on:

• The design
  • The exposition
  • The historical and cultural meaning and significance

The Design of Oscar de Jarjayes and its conivence with the piece

As fit to any shoujo manga and anime counterpart, Rose of Versailles it's crowded with shine, random flowers and an uprecedent ammount of useless ornaments. Consider how old the manga is and the media available at the time this is amazing, but that's a debate to have in a later discussion. What matters here is that Oscar is a flower amongst the background. As the name says: the Rose of Versailles. Her own design is a personification of a flower in all its meanings. The beauty associated to suffering and sacrifice, a delicate creature surrounded by thorns. The graphic design is more than appropriate inside the environment. The manga has a lot of mythological and classical references, which denotes and elevated culture of the author and exposes her association to the world of history academics. Anyway, the main character herself appears as a demi-goddess of war and love. This also appears at the anime, at the portrait she has painted for herself. The figure of an high official surrounded by the beauty of the nature , delivering it on her arms and always accompanied by her white horse. Dianic figure, the virgin that rules upon fight and beauty but has to keep veiled from love and her most inner designs.

The other important fact about her design is the most obvious fact: the - most likely first - use of a travesti to create a dilema and generate suffering for the character and, therefore, juicy story. If we're aknowledged with the story, we know the whys and hows of Oscar and her outfit option. It all starts in the figure of her father that, frustrated by not having anyone to receive his heritage, forces his youngest daughter to follow the path of a man. While this is mostly to characterize the environment of the time setting, we may shoot in the dark and say that this father also works as a complex for Oscar that, unable, will redirect it to other male figures, namely Fersen. If we pick her family environment, more problems add up. She is the youngest of a herd of daughters and thus is surrounded by female figures. However, educated as a man, she most likely uses this family environment only as rolemodel for her "girl adventures", like wearing a dress and... Well, that's basically it. Both in anime and manga her mother plays an important role and through her we see that Oscar treats fellow woman with the respect of man. She is not able to understand her own genre and has no other option than following her feelings. Which is exactly what any shoujo lead should do, but in this case it's not because of an higher cause or a love doubt, but because it's her only option. I like to imagine how confusing was to Oscar to suffer all the female wonders for the first time, when even a the end of the manga (when she's about 40 years old, according to my rusty maths) she still has male traits stuck into her personality. Her first period, the first fast heartbeat, or even breasts. If for a girl that is a girl this is freaky, for a boy that is actually a girl it must be a nightmare. xD

In a whole, her design is perfect because it's not only original: it's appropriate. More than appropriate: it's fit. It fits the whole story and makes it move forward, even when the story does not center around her. It's said by sme critics that the true Rose of Versailles is Marie Antoinette instead. Indeed, the Dauphine is the central character of the story and Oscar is very secondary. But her presence is so believable that her influence on the story (and history) is simply necessary.

The expositon of the character: how the evolution of events changes Oscar (and makes her more awesome)

Oscar is not the kind of character thathas only an excellent design and original purpose. She is very moulded by the story. If we consider the tragedy of France's monarchy as the central plot, Oscar is the one that makes it move forward. However if we consider Oscar's actions concerning this historical momen as the main plot, she is the one that is moved forward by it.

Let's start with her childhood. As refered before, educated as a man but surrounded by females, she only has an escape route. Which is Andre, her playmate and servant. As the time goes by, she grows up a little bit and another person appears in the game: Marie Antoinette. She appears as the example of everything that is fragile and beautiful, the thing that Oscar must protect at all costs and that she protects till the end in her own way. In the manga they are almost depicted as lovers in Oscar's youth (but then she grows up, thank goodness) but I think this relationship is more of a butterfly and the person that hunts for it to keep it safe In the end of the anime there is an official release of the butterfly, a depart brilliantly named "Farewell is See You Soon" (in French sounds prettier) which only deepens the importance of this bond. Time goes by a little bit more and Fersen enters the game. Oscar discovers that she can have female feelings. These are a little bit ignored in the anime comparing to the manga (really, her desperation is... More desperate) but in both Fersen is that friend all the girls have: the one we'd not mind having as lover but, due to a lot of circunstances - including the fact some of us are actually travestied army leaders - are just very close friends. Then Madame de Polignac teaches Oscar about how the society of the works. Finally, the two sisters, Rosalie and Jeanne. Rosalie shows Oscar a whole new form of love and, again leads to more tears. Oscar falls a little bit in love with her, as quoted in the manga:

"I promess you that if I was a man I would make you my wife"

But, nonenthless, accepts her position and rol as protector and "onii-chan" (sorry, got to use the term xp)

Finally, in the fan of characters that mould Oscar's personality, Jeanne (the ebil sister). Jeanne does not really do anything besides spreading venom. In a way this is very important because Oscar has to deal with it. The exposition of her identity, position and gender make everything more complicated to deal with.

Then there are some specific moments of the plot that trigger new facets of her character. From the party where she goes as female, where she firmly admits her role and true desire, to the Bastille guerrilla where she finally accepts with a full heart her condition and leaves as a martyr for love (and freedom as well, ok). Other important moments that help to expose her character are the sacrifice for Andre when the Princess is taken by the horse (and the rescue of the Princess as well) and the first meet with Robespierre. Here she evolves from a simple girl with gender confusion to a politically active figure, that doubts and wonders and participates in the whole revolution. In a way her participation is motivated by her feelings of love, but if she never knew about the situation of the people in Paris she would have never got into it (I bet shed just run a way to some cool place, like Portugal where we have nice beaches, and live happy ever after. You see, her courageous nature of protecting and loving errors in its own nature. If running off had been the first plausible option to protect her loved ones, it would have been. But then the story would have been over too soon!) It is also extremelly relevant that she joined the "army of the people" to get away from the Queen and Fersen and the whole nobility and ease her own pain. Through the vivence within men that do not respect her by anything except her inner qualities she finally learns to accept herself as she is and live with that. Quoting the anime, she once says:

"I am sorry I never told you but I am actually a woman. You may keep respecting my authority, but you are also allowed to leave"

To which the most irritating soldier answers

"It does not matter if you are a man or a woman as long as you keep being our General"

However, what matters most in the way the character is coveyed is her relationship with Andre. Ignoring the fact that it is one of the most beautiful love tragedies I've ever watched or read, Andre is the guy that in a way or another moves Oscar. She does not know this till the very end (in the anime, earlier in the manga). She originally moves to protect the Princess, the King, her mother, Rosalie, even Fersen. But in the end it's Andre that makes her move, due to his loyalty as servant and trust as friend. As platonic lover, he holds her from the dark. As soon as he admits his love, in the manga, Oscar's attitude change: she becomes lost for a while and then accepts him as protector. He is the one that helps her to grow up from the may-be-a-boy person that protects a princess to the half-adolescent that engages in an impossible love to a mature woman that offers herself as sacrifice for the sentiment. It is with him that most moments happen.

First, when he disguises as Maque Noir and loses his sight: for the first time, Oscar values his presence and his life, since she never expected that he could get hurt, or die, or leave her in some way. At this moment she even orders him to never leave her again, admitting that she needs her "servant" as mullet to survive as a lie in such a complicated social environment.

Second, a manga only event. In a desperate and half-drunk moment, Andre declares and forces himself into it. Basically, he tries to rape Oscar. =D Here, she learns about fear and the inevitable conclusion. It does not matter how good you are with the sword or how many times you kicked his head during training. He will always be stronger, because he's a man. Thanks to this knowledge her adaptation to the new army is even harder in the manga.

Third, when Andre is mistaken as noble and taken away by the people of Paris. She surddenly discovers that she loves him and is surprised by it herself. This moment means exactly what it seems so. When Fersen finds her desperate begging him to "Save my Andre!", everyone finally sighs in relief that she got the obvious. Except Oscar herself, because she seems terrified at this and does not know what to do now with her protector. Should she take him as lover as a woman should do or keep him away as friend as a man should do?

Fourth, the consumation of the love. They happen very differently in manga and anime but they basically represent the maturity of the feelings and the naturality of the act. Oscar takes the whole 40 episodes and 10 volumes to discover that she is in love with Andre enough to throw away her mask of male and go for it. In the anime it's a beautiful scene that moved me to tears all the 6 times I watched it, surrounded by some shiny bugs in a forest, a deliver to the nature appropriate to her Hellenic features. In the manga, it's more planned which works very well as the official destruction of the facade.

The final event is Andre's death. It happens in various scenes. His death, right after they just decided "let's just throw away the Bastille and then marry and have a flock of children". The attempts of revival and the desperation. His funeral and Oscar's decision: without her love there's nothing else in the Earth to live for. The most wonderful moment of the anime is, for me, at this moment. In a flaschback narrated by an enemy soldier, she fights with the Guards and they kill her horse. The narrator says:

"We just fought a brave enemy General on the bridge. As his horse fell and he lost his pistol, he pulled his sword and fought bravely killing many. And as he did, his eyes were shiny with desperation and loneliness and it seemed that they cried"

And this is about it: Oscar exists not only by her, but through others. This is another thing to make the character beautifully crafted.

The significante of the character in the exterior world

Quoting the Preface of my manga edition:

"Now the tourist guides of the Palace of Versailles will know shy so many girls ask "and what about Oscar de Jarjayes" on the tours"

If this does not tell everything I don't know what does. Oscar is so well done that she seems real. So much I researched half the internet to convince myself she was fictional (and even now I'm not well convinced yet).

She is a wonderful model for anything a shoujo lead should be and she is remembered even by the most improbable people- There is a museum in Lisbon called "The Carriage Museum". It only has carriages. One of the guards there is so much of an Oscar fan that he cosplays French Royal Guard inside the museum. On other occasion we were at a Japanese class debating about our favourite animes and characters and when I referred "Versailles no Bara", our teacher squealed in joy and shared that she read the manga during her adolescence. And she also referred her love for Oscar who still is her favourite manga character. Socially, the character was a revolution, a woman made off courage that lived for the same values all the others did.

And, my favourite social impact... The prototype of shounen ai (forgive me for the outdated term, but the manga is so old anyway that I may as well use it xD). Finally, no longer the boring female lea.d Now we have a female that looks awfully similar to a man. She has all the characteristics of both a male character and our usual anime girl, the personality of the first associated to the doubts and emotions of the second. Many critics debate that Oscar was the one to open the path to the BL genre (I actually read this in a magazine a couple or more years ago). And that is fantastic.

In conclusion, Oscar is an outstanding character both by her inherent characteristics and social influence. I wont be very mad if anyone votes Nuh, but that's just because the anime is already at the list. The anime is only the digivolved form of the character, so having one is kind of having the other.

Anyway, Yes, Yes and more Yes My battery is almost over and there are like... 6 hours of flight left. I will only c/p this when I get home (if internet gets in the plane, plane falls. According to this lady in a TAP uniform, at least). I think I will now ask them to get me some coloured pencils and a book to paint, like they give to children. I think it's unfair that I don't get one.

p.s. My Oscar action figure is ordered and on its way for quite a while now. But just so that the club knows I already paid for an Oscar figure (together with her Andre, so she can live happy forever on my shelf)

Tomorrow I'll find time for more
Aug 22, 2009 11:51 AM

Dec 2007
I suppose it's not too late to translate the notes of my manga books. :3 The voting just started after all, hoho

Tonkam Editions said:
Presentation of characters
Oscar

Oscar François de Jarjayes, sixth daughter of General of Jarjayes. To keep with the tradition of the family, Oscar is raised as a boy. She grows up with Andre in a familiar environment and their friendship will grow till the day it turns into love. Turned Captain of the Royal Guard, she will keep her duty with courage, resignation and fervorously. Promoted Coronel, she will clearly make a choice for her destiny and assume what her father decided for her: become a soildier. If the body betrays the character, the two souls are ambiguous: one is constantly attentive, the one of dutyy, and tries to run away from the other in way to keep that duty well performed; the other soul is the one of the woman that lives in Oscar that will only reveil at the ending.

Oscar is the duality: two souls in a single body.

Discovering love, her heart delivers to Fersen, but since he does not return anything but friendship she ends up saying good-bye. It's what she believes as friendship for Andre that turns into love- Cruel destiny for this woman that, if we don't see anby further, is mistaken in her life! Her choices of work, friendship, love, everything is wrong. She loses herself to the Revolution, she changes side and faces royalty, she loves Andre. But the change can't take long, as death takes it.

(...)

Reflections

Vice and Versailles, a certain look upon a time

Quat comes from Lady Oscar is the study of the life at the Court, the aristrocacy that planned biabolic maquinations and machiavelic revenges.

By the end of the 90s, the move of Patrice Leconte "Ridicule", brought an addituional stanza to the Chateleaine valse, in which Lady Oscar could have been a magnific musical note. The very poor medical knowledge at the time added happily years of life to the men and women of that time. Therefore they lived quickly their times, like they could never conclude. Their perverse spirits turned into absurd and cruel machinations and at those dark time, the shadow of the Revolution could play much better than today. To taht, nothing better than money and power. And to attain the power you could only be born in health and totally lack any humanity, do not think about anyone else and never hesitate. Oscar, she will try to counter the most terrible reventes, gthe lowest traitors, to console the victims of drama, punish guilty people, etc. So is her party, with the innevitable opposers- Her will to change the way of things, to turn them better drove her to actions equally dangerous, even homicidal, guided by her emotional and personal feelings in direction to the just and nobler than nobles cause. Oscar is an heroine that can illustrate today: choose betweeh the destiny and duty, between the conditoon and the power, between her own choices and her job, or even, adapting to our days, between work and family.

The Rose

As Andre will tell Oscar: "White or red, a rose is always a rose!" Whether she carries a dress or an uniform, she's still the same. The rose represents the essence of the ephemeral: she is born, grows, blooms bnbut quicklu fades and is condamned to see its petals taken by the wind. That is the destiny of Oscar. She grows up and turns a man for the good of men and efen women... She will fade, taken by the hand of destiny, and her memories will be taken by the wind till only a whisper is left

It does not add much more, but I love the way they wrote this xD
Feb 7, 2010 9:25 PM

Jul 2007
Rose of Versailles is one of my favourite anime and, of course, Oscar Francois de Jarjayes is one of my favourite characters.
She is a strong woman who fights for what she wants. The final is very sad but in the same is realistic.
[/url]

Feb 10, 2010 6:03 AM

Feb 2008
Well, what to add? ladyxzeus's exposé more or less mentioned everything that makes Oscar a perennial fan favourite as well as an altogether interesting character.
Of course, that doesn't stop one from copying some of her sentiments.

As I've yet to make any real progress in the manga (yes, yes, yes, I know, I should get the Kana edition; next time I'm in Antwerp I'll find the nearest Fnac and pick them up), I can only speak from the anime, but from what I've read this far I can also predict that, for the wider audience, it is the anime portrayal that is the more interesting one.

At first, Oscar is one of those character about whom one wonders why it was ever introduced. Given a cast largely consisting of historical figures, one cannot but try to find a reason as to why the two main fictional additions are constructed the way they are.
If what the Internet says is right, Rose of Versailles was originally meant to be a depiction of the 'tragic' queen Marie Antoinette, viewed through the eyes of a fictional persona close to the historical one - a tried-and-true formula often employed in such semi-biographical fiction. For this, though, little more was necessary than to have Oscar be just another lady at court: the story would have all the gossip, all the dresses and sparkles, and even would allow for the whole Fersen triangle.
But no, Oscar is depicted as a woman brought up as a man, commander of the guards and active mostly in the male political circles. Why? That is, why not simply have her be a man, then, and get rid of all the excess baggage?
Because then she wouldn't have been able to be placed as Antoinette's close friend. (Okay, and the whole romantic mess would have been much less convoluted, which would fly against the whole idea of such stories being as much a Gordian Knot of tangled relationships as possible.) Designed as she is, Oscar can be dropped both in the earlier background, predominantly taking place within the fences of Versailles, and in the latter, on the streets of Paris. She is an acceptable confidante and companion in the halls and gardens and equally acceptable standing on the barricades, rattling her saber.

The interesting part about the whole gender blah is that, at least in the anime, it's really down-played, coming up as something remarkable only very rarely, and mostly in such a fashion that it is actually woven into the greater story to enhance it.
Consider the Diamond Necklace affair. It is an historical fact that Mme de Valois de la Motte during her trial either mentioned herself that she had, or was believed to have had, a lesbian relationship with the queen, which was all rather scandalous. By enabling her anime counterpart to point to Oscar as 'proof' of Antoinette's inclination, not only was the point made more clear but also was Oscar's design given actual use.
Neither is Oscar's design a completely modern-day sentiment, something that couldn't have existed in the portrayed setting, as there is the famous historical example of Charles de Beaumont, chevalier d'Éon, who was certainly remarkable but was not in any way socially ostracised. That is, there is no 'realistic' impediment to adding the character to the story if use can be made of her.
It is by not giving all that much attention to this basic design choice and not making it into a continuing source of emotional distress, romantic troubles and inescapable tragedy that the few instances in which Oscar is called out are memorable and that her character can be more than a walking quirk.

It is that same Diamond Necklace affair that formed the turning point in how the overall story was told, and from that point onwards nearly all main characters start showing depth and growth. That is because it is at that point the story turns from costume drama to a more politically involved one.
In truth, the overall outlook of Rose of Versailles being sympathetic towards Marie Antoinette is what makes this added depth possible: as the 1789 French government can't, thus, be wholly cast in a negative light - enough attention is given to the fiscal problems and advised solutions up to that year to make this clear -, the revolutionaries equally can't be wholly painted white. While the general view is that the Parisian people were in the right and Oscar, as she is set to play the 'good guy', predictably switches sides during the course of the story, she does take her sweet time to do so, trying to appeal to what she knows of the persons at the political top to explain away or mitigate the societal problems for which this top is blamed. For quite a while, she defends her queen while at the same time balking against both injustice done the common people and against any radical plot to overthrow the system of state, apparently completely unable to see that all this cannot be reconciled and that something has got to give. While she is set to be the defender of justice, she is also quite stubborn when it comes to ignoring reports of the storm to come, even if others, in particular André, have long warned her, and it is really only very late in the process that she manifestly chooses a side in the conflict.
There is, then, a certain innocence to her character that betrays a lack of awareness of the political world in which she lives, and this makes her perfect for her role. Given that the whole story plays out a historical occurrence, there is this peculiar tension which Rose of Versailles has due to the fact that the audience already knows what will happen and how the main players will react: one already knows that some actions will have effects adverse to what was intended and that some other actions will end up being nothing but grasping at straws. The unknown quantity here is the fictional character and her reactions, even if she cannot change the facts. Oscar's relative innocence and the late disillusionment ensure that she is as taken aback by many of the greater circumstances as many of the main players are, and she convincingly first clings to what she knows and holds dear but later on - and in fact too late -, after a few rude awakenings, has to admit that the balance of what she considers to be the right thing has shifted.
Again, she is stubborn, acts partly from a personal involvement with all that is going on and, as always, has no real sense of where she stands. There is no sudden revelation, radical change of character or any other such device to make her a more conventional heroine: instead, through all her blustering, one has to take a bit of pity on her.
Though a noble, there is little that bars her in principle from acting on the side of the 'revolutionaries', as there were enough of such sympathisers around, the obvious examples being Lafayette and Talleyrand, but the main difference is that Oscar never participates in the political arena, never shaping what occurs but always being shaped by it.

This situation mirrors many of her earlier appearances, as she is, almost habitually, outclassed when it comes to anything that cannot be solved by the sword and an oath sworn on one's honour. Much of this is even intentional, as Oscar herself in essence speaks about her wish to be the honest soldier before the conniving noble. Thus, like any good tragic hero should be, she is played, both wittingly and unwittingly, both politically and emotionally. Consider the Fersen issue: apart from the whole problem of loyalty to Antoinette, it also becomes quite clear that Oscar, while at some point full well realising her being enamoured, remains stuck asking herself: 'So, here is love. Now what to do with it?' There is no real resolution, only a being swept up in more pressing matters.
Still, there is growth, of the more natural sense. Oscar is clearly seen growing older, physically and morally as well as emotionally. While this not necessarily entails her changing her principles or what she holds dear, she becomes more adept at accepting and letting things be. Though her growing more mature isn't as clear as is the case with Antoinette, she wasn't as irritating a brat in the first place; instead, despite her somewhat bizarre premise, her aging in mind and body is actually rather natural a thing, still rare enough in anime and manga to warrant special note.

In the end, though, her development isn't what makes her so interesting a character. Far more interesting is how use was made of her. Though her design is somewhat silly in principle, one is able to forget this quickly when she is used to expose - and rather consistently comment on - the historical background. Oscar fits the setting splendidly, functioning as the thread that combines all the panels of the overarching story. She is Antoinette's friend and protector when the court is displayed, nobleman of her own estate when the fiscal and political problems leading to the Revolution are introduced, and military commander in the front lines in the final episodes. Her presence ensures that all relevant persons and circumstances can be viewed from one viewpoint and that the audience is presented with consistency in all actions. By having her directly contact historical personalities their motivations are explored and she is able to function as intermediary between them, so that there is little need for outside narration. In all, Oscar might, at times, be rendered a bit simplistically in her being portrayed as the quintessential knight, but such small annoyances are more than outweighed by how she is used to bring home the setting.

A few final remarks and comments:
ladyxzeus said:
This also appears at the anime, at the portrait she has painted for herself. The figure of an high official surrounded by the beauty of the nature , delivering it on her arms and always accompanied by her white horse. Dianic figure, the virgin that rules upon fight and beauty but has to keep veiled from love and her most inner designs.

First, you've outdone yourself here in terms of phrasing. Second, what I found particularly touching in that scene was how André's guess at what was depicted was completely wrong but equally appropriate.

a depart brilliantly named "Farewell is See You Soon" (in French sounds prettier)

The Japanese here plays with the double meaning (when spoken) of "Ai kotoba wa 'sayonara'". I've noticed that the Internet almost exclusively uses the second meaning, referring to 'Adieu est un mot d'amour' as the quintessential line of the entire series. (Also, apparently in another version, the same episode was re-named 'Le mot de passe est au-revoir', using the more literal translation.)

Second, a manga only event.

Even though I've not read the manga, I can remember that event. So it's unlikely that it's manga-only. On the other hand, though, the anime seems to be more about André, as he suddenly seems to realise that he isn't exactly in the most stable of conditions, giving him a reason to leave.

Fourth, the consumation of the love. [...] In the anime it's a beautiful scene

Absolutely. It's one of the very few such scenes done tastefully in any medium. I liked the suddenness of it in the anime: it seemed very real and brought home the fact that both actually had lost much in the way of a sense of what they were supposed to do now.

So, Yes. And with regard to those who disagree: Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!
santetjanFeb 10, 2010 6:10 AM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Feb 21, 2010 12:34 PM

Aug 2008
I don't like her, or the anime, for the same reason. They were straitjacketed by history. Instead of presenting an interesting alternate history, Oscar waited to do the right thing until it was much too late (so as to not change history), which lost her my respect.

If you're stingy then click on CLuClu!
Please consider supporting the end of disenfranchisement on MAL.
Purpose is subjective, therefore quality is subjective.
Jan 21, 2012 7:23 AM

May 2010
That's what I liked about her, the fight between duty and ethics. If she did the right thing earlier, she'd be the same as all those goody two-shoes protagonists from other anime. Instead we have this interesting conflict that is hard for us to even relate to in the modern age, the idea that once one has sworn loyalty, abandoning that is unethical. In this age of freedom, it seems like a no-brainer, so it takes a truly compelling characterization to make us feel the same dilemma.

In the anime, I actually liked Andre more, though if santetjan is right then the anime is more about him than the manga. But they're both amazing characters in my book and I really feel an urge to rewatch this anime now...
“Money can't buy dere”
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.