Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2008 10:57 AM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting consept. And i like these feudal type anime's.
I'll continue watching even though it wasn't all that super awesome.
LunaNov 13, 2012 4:27 AM

My dear weak spacenoids. THAT LEVEL OF LOVE CAN'T BREAK MY BODY OF STEEL!
Jan 8, 2008 11:35 AM
Nov 2007
I find it funny how you claim to have seen these new anime on Japanese TV but you are behind some anime that is currently airing. Anyway, I don't want to debate. I just wanted to rant, lol.

I'm downloading the ep right now. Can't wait to watch it :D Wolf and Spice is a really good manga. I have high expectations for its adaptation.

Edit:
I enjoyed it :D It was paced nicely and the animation was decent. I can't wait for more.
radiantfireJan 8, 2008 8:40 PM
Jan 8, 2008 7:25 PM

Mar 2007
Hmm I enjoyed episode 1. It's nice to hear Fukuyama Jun doing a more mature voice. And I tend to associate Koshimizu Ami with her role of Nadja in Ashita no Nadja, so she sounds pleasantly different here too :) I like that Lawrence is older than 15. I like how she manages to be nude for most of the episode, yet it still seems less obnoxious and fanservicey than Rosario+Vampire. I look forward to watching more.
Jan 8, 2008 11:35 PM

Oct 2007
Very quick sub release here, downloading now on capped internet :(
Jan 9, 2008 12:33 AM

Apr 2007
Woo, I liked it lots, lived up to my expectations :D.

Will be looking forward to more`~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2008 2:42 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I'm liking this a lot! Horo is really cute, the animationg was nice and the music felt right, too. I'm definitely looking forward to more. And on a side note, the BSS sub is really good.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 9, 2008 2:47 AM

Apr 2007
Nice, they did a good job animating it....
Man, Horo = MOE. Be lookin forward to the next one, more horo plz~
Jan 9, 2008 5:26 AM

Apr 2007
cyruz said:
I'm liking this a lot! Horo is really cute, the animationg was nice and the music felt right, too. I'm definitely looking forward to more. And on a side note, the BSS sub is really good.

100% exactly how i felt on all the things you said.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2008 5:34 AM

Nov 2007
I enjoyed it a lot. I usually give series 2-3 eps until I cast judgement on them, but I just know this is going to be the best series of this season.

Appropriate art (even if not stellar, it fits the mood of the story) beautiful characters, the voicing is perfect and it's just an all-round nice setting. I like the OP, though the ED is a little weird. Music sets the mood reasonably well, too. Really nothing to fault on it from the first episode.
Jan 9, 2008 8:09 AM

Jul 2007
Too much Wolf and not enough Spice.

Sam is my sweet peach
Jan 9, 2008 10:32 AM

Nov 2007
Well I enjoyed it pretty mutch also but I hope the second episode is more fun because I didn't understand some things
Jan 9, 2008 10:44 AM

Jan 2008
It was good, had a certain enjoyable charm.
Jan 9, 2008 10:59 AM

May 2007
Hmm.. Pretty good.
My anime list
Jan 9, 2008 11:04 AM

Nov 2007
I am definitely intrigued by the setting and what we have seen of the lead characters so far. Definitely not typical for an anime.

The nudity was not "fanservice-y" as I thought it would be, but rather tastefully done. Of course some viewers will look at it differently, but to me she was not eroticised.

Looking forward to more.
Jan 9, 2008 11:09 AM

Oct 2007
I enjoyed the first episode, had a lot of different content from the manga (finished at the end of chapter 2 pretty much) but seemed to fit fairly well. I felt the VA's were fairly good, I've been a fan of Ami Koshimizu since I heard her Anemone in Eureka Seven and I liked her Horo. OP was nice and sounded much better than it did in the camrip trailers. The Engrish ED started off badly but got better as it went on, doubt I'll watch the ED again though.
Jan 9, 2008 2:55 PM

Aug 2007
Asako said:
I enjoyed it a lot. I usually give series 2-3 eps until I cast judgement on them, but I just know this is going to be the best series of this season.

Appropriate art (even if not stellar, it fits the mood of the story) beautiful characters, the voicing is perfect and it's just an all-round nice setting. I like the OP, though the ED is a little weird. Music sets the mood reasonably well, too. Really nothing to fault on it from the first episode.

/agree
Jan 9, 2008 3:59 PM

Jan 2007
Loved the episode. The animation transition from manga to anime was good.

Horo <333333333333333333333
Jan 9, 2008 4:33 PM

Sep 2007
It's a really good episode 1 and the anime has a really nice calming feel to it. Will definitely continue watching this series :)
Jan 9, 2008 4:35 PM

Mar 2007
I admit that I kept thinking of Bleach when watching this. 'what? She's a Hollow?' :P :P
Jan 9, 2008 5:12 PM

Aug 2007
wow that was pretty cool, i liked the feudal time theme going there. hope to see more soon
Jan 9, 2008 5:34 PM

Jun 2007
Out of all the European Feudal Age anime I've seen, this one feels the most appropriate and looks closest to the reality as far as I know. They talked about the one true God and Pagan rituals, their attire didn't look cliche but still gave off the feel of the medieval ages. It really gave this anime a fresh feel to it because it seems free of Japanese influence on a western setting. I usually get annoyed by the look of some anime that are supposed to be in world without Japan. Its like watching an American cartoon primarily about a stereotyped Japan or other oriental nation. It also feels fresh because this show isn't about Knights or anything of the sort but of a Pagan God and a Merchant. I never hear that much about traveling merchants during medieval times so I'm very interested in this one.

Jan 9, 2008 5:40 PM
Dec 2007
strangechameleon said:
The nudity was not "fanservice-y" as I thought it would be, but rather tastefully done. Of course some viewers will look at it differently, but to me she was not eroticised.
I agree, part of it is that they didn't put much emphasis on the fact she was nude. Heck, the only erotism was when Chloe was trying to get Lawrence to accept the proposal and that was done to get her point across. And they didn't even went that far so really, great job not falling through the fanservice pitfall.

It really got my attention. I picked it up with no real expectations, and I'm already hooked.

Jan 9, 2008 7:44 PM

Jul 2007
I think this anime is going to be one of those animes that just calms me down and makes my day. It's really interesting so far.
Jan 9, 2008 7:53 PM

Jul 2007
Looking to be a really great show. Horo is win ^^.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Jan 9, 2008 9:13 PM

Aug 2007
slow paced yet not boring at all. i'm looking forward for more
Jan 9, 2008 9:21 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Everyone said what I wanted to! :D Will watch more! (This wasn't as emphasized, but I really enjoyed the VAs as well)
Jan 10, 2008 2:44 AM

Oct 2007
Pretty good, I liked it overall, was really surprised that Horo's constant nudity didn't seem to phase lawrence in the slightest, lol. and dear god, I am in love with the ED for this anime, it's engrishtastic to the max, and i could not stop laughing. Had to reply it several times and bug everyone on my buddy list to go watch it. Good times.
Jan 10, 2008 5:22 AM
Dec 2007
Shiken said:
Pretty good, I liked it overall, was really surprised that Horo's constant nudity didn't seem to phase lawrence in the slightest, lol.
Yeah, a good touch all things considered.

Jan 10, 2008 10:44 AM

Jun 2007
I was actually expecting this to be worse, I'm quite pleasantly surprised. The music is really nice, the atmosphere isn't tiring at all and and the voice actors fit well. Also, (even though it's already been pointed out), I liked the fact that that Horo's nudity wasn't fanserviced. I only know Japanese from hearing it from anime, so I might be wrong, but does Horo talk older-styled?
Jan 10, 2008 2:02 PM

Nov 2007
confused_kitsune said:
I only know Japanese from hearing it from anime, so I might be wrong, but does Horo talk older-styled?

Yes. She uses an older dialect, seemingly appropriate for her age. I wonder how subbers will reflect that, though...
Jan 10, 2008 3:09 PM

Dec 2007
I guess the biggest surprise was... that it's only began to air... I was almost sure it was already finished :O

The show seems pretty nice, I love the opening song ^_^. Also I like the way they made Horo speak... I somehow find that accent... cute...
>.>
<.<
>.>
Yeah...sooo....Horo also seems to have interesting personalit for a god, how to say it... playful? Somehow reminds me a bit of Arcueid from Tsukihime. I loved her howl at the beginning. And yeah, it surprised me a bit that Lawrence acted like he hasn't even noticed she was naked all the time... I was kinda expecting that, and... But it actually made me chuckle at the end when he said "Take off those clothes" XD not your usual anime character behaviour. Also the fact that she hasn't said anything concerning him telling her to go nude, instead just say "You wouldn't do that (make me get off of the carriage)", also was a bit surprising.
I guess i'll be seeing this till the end.

P.S. I forgot. Fukuyama's Voice :D :D I was like "hell, i've heard this voice somewhere... Lelo.. Nah, maybe i'm wrong <goes to OtK page on MAL> Ha! I was right! it WAS fukuyama!" :D :D

-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
Jan 10, 2008 3:27 PM

Jul 2007
I really love the Elfen Lied style nudity, it makes a series seem much more pleasing.
Jan 10, 2008 6:19 PM

Jan 2008
Asako said:

/also agree

The ED is cute.
Jan 10, 2008 7:26 PM
Jan 2008
At first I was thinking "Why is the detective from Neuro in this?"

It wasn't bad. Full of lively characters. Sometimes I watch anime for the characters and don't even pay attention to the story, because sometimes that's all certain anime has to offer.

Lulu x Kallen!
Jan 10, 2008 7:28 PM

Aug 2007
I like the ending theme
Jan 10, 2008 8:00 PM

Aug 2007
Chloe is hawt! =P

From the looks of the first episode, this anime shows some promise story wise. The sakuga is decent, hope it remains consistent throughout the series. Placing some high hopes on this one, hope it doesn't disappoint!

Need more Chloe =P
Jan 10, 2008 8:01 PM

Sep 2007
I just finished watching Mushishi recently, and I get the same kinda feeling from this anime as do from Mushishi. Both shows give me a feeling of tranquility, and slow steadiness, but with definite movement. Though Okami to Koshinryo will most likely be less random. Which is a major plus. As much as I love Mushishi... Mushishi = Random
I'm looking forward to more episodes.
Jan 10, 2008 8:23 PM

Jul 2007
Just saw the ep. I liked it .. it does have some promise story wise =).
LeftyJan 10, 2008 9:07 PM
Jan 10, 2008 9:03 PM

Aug 2007
Is it really that important to have the Romanized Japanese text and various Kanji scrolling around for it to be decent karaoke? There are 3 other groups subbing it, go grab their version if you want the karaoke.
Jan 10, 2008 9:31 PM

Apr 2007
It didn't disappoint. The novel is great and it looks like the adaptations to Anime and Manga are going to keep it at a high level.

The only thing weird was the absence of nipples in Horo's body... I really can't understand the purpose of censorship!

Jan 11, 2008 12:48 AM

Oct 2007
Asako said:
confused_kitsune said:
I only know Japanese from hearing it from anime, so I might be wrong, but does Horo talk older-styled?

Yes. She uses an older dialect, seemingly appropriate for her age. I wonder how subbers will reflect that, though...

The best way to reflect it would be to just translate it as is. Most anime watchers can tell when a character is using a non-standard dialect, without the subbers replacing 'you' with 'ye' or some stupid crap.
Jan 11, 2008 1:44 AM

Oct 2007
I really liked the first episode. i downloaded it on a whim, just to check out most of this seasons anime and now I really think I'm going to continue it. I was sold after watching the OP. There's something about the animation and the haunting melody that I really like.
Jan 11, 2008 8:33 AM
Dec 2007
johnnyd said:
The only thing weird was the absence of nipples in Horo's body... I really can't understand the purpose of censorship!
I'm sorry, but I think that was meant to take the focus out of the fact she was naked and more into the fact she had a wolf's ears and tail. It didn't bother me at all.

Jan 11, 2008 8:37 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Me neither, I also think it was tastefully done like strangechameleon said.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 11, 2008 8:38 AM

Apr 2007
The way nudity was portrayed in the first episode censorship is specially meaningless. It was done in a non sexual way, and they didn't need to recur to that.

Jan 11, 2008 8:40 AM
Dec 2007
johnnyd said:
The way nudity was portrayed in the first episode censorship is specially meaningless. It was done in a non sexual way, and they didn't need to recur to that.

And why were you so dead-set to see nipples? Aside from a few shots, they didn't even gave you a clear view at her chest.

Jan 11, 2008 9:13 AM

Apr 2007
Leon-Gun said:
And why were you so dead-set to see nipples?

Let's not go through the way of putting words into my mouth ok?

JohnnyD said:
The only thing weird was the absence of nipples

In a mature show, where nudity was portrayed as natural, they decided to draw her breasts like she was a puppet. If felt weird to me and out of place, just that!
Jan 11, 2008 9:35 AM

Aug 2007
Very interesting first episode, I especially liked the music and animation as apparently alot of you did as well :).
I also thought the absence of nipples was a bit strange, I don't see the point. The fact that she didn't have nipples drew more attention than if she would've had them, in my eyes. Not that it bothered me alot, just found it strange. On another note fanservice doesn't really bother me, but I can see why it would bother females so I'm all for the tastefully done nudity scenes. But that doesn't mean disfigurement ;).

Thanks De-Jay for my claim picture : ).
Jan 11, 2008 4:16 PM

Sep 2007
This everything I wanted and more. Who says it's too boring? It's perfect and the opening theme is next to godliness.
Jan 11, 2008 7:50 PM

Sep 2007
johnnyd said:

You're not the only one, but hey I suppose it means it's not like Elfen Lied where you feel like pausing it every time someone else walks into the room just so they don't see something and start the perv alert... The setting is nice character design is also very well done, I didn't care so much for the OP but I like the ED... no idea why, maybe the chibi Horo's...
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jan 16, 2008

146 by GooseHybrid »»
Apr 17, 10:00 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

31 by Chronoes »»
Apr 17, 1:29 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

8GaugeBrett - Mar 25, 2008

319 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 16, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

8GaugeBrett - Mar 6, 2008

154 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 9, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

153 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 4, 4:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.