Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Apr 29, 2014 8:32 AM

Jan 2014
Well, one of the best show I've watched 'til now.
I like when a film, book, anime and whatever you can hink of makes me think hard like this about a huge amount of possibilities and choices that leads to different paths.

Ok, Rika is the fulcrus of this endless June, we got that quite a while ago, and in the second season I'm hyped to know how and why.

We still have to know if really one of the main families of Hinamizawa wants to make the village go under the bioterrorism attack, because the researches Takano did were real, and they were a constant in each arc.
May 6, 2014 9:53 AM

Apr 2013
It was a nice and sweet ending, although I too hoped that they would kiss. But I'm actually in KeiichixMion team, so whatever.
I liked the rooftop-fight, it was somehow awesome.

But indeed, actually quite little is answered as of yet. Which means, onto the 2nd Season we go!
May 11, 2014 2:48 PM

Sep 2013
The month of June repeats itself? could the demon that resides within Rika possibly be controlling that factor? the Furude family?

This episode was pretty interesting, the fight on the rooftop didn't feel really serious especially when they started talking about what they want each other to do if one of them won but it was pretty cute though

hell i'm going to definitely miss the OP and ED for this show xD even though I can just catch it on YouTube or something

This is a masterpiece hands down! 10/10 and thankfully there's a second season ''Kai'' I really love an anime where it requires you to think outside the box to get the bigger picture
count_demonicus6May 11, 2014 2:56 PM
May 17, 2014 4:43 PM

Jan 2014
Mind-blowing show !
It was great 9/10 :D
May 22, 2014 6:53 AM
Jun 2013
They did a great job, gotta miss those psycho eyes
Jul 8, 2014 10:09 PM

Jan 2014
Well that was a great show. Pretty entertaining to watch and the death scenes are bloody amazing.

9/10 would've been 10 if it was concluded, but there's still another season so..
Recommend me an anime
Jul 27, 2014 8:42 AM

May 2014
Very good show. The mystery was amazing, the characters were very well developed, each with interesting backstories. The music's pretty good. BUT THE ANIMATION IS GARBAGE. 8/10
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Jul 27, 2014 8:44 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
LPGeneratorx said:
Very good show. The mystery was amazing, the characters were very well developed, each with interesting backstories. The music's pretty good. BUT THE ANIMATION IS GARBAGE. 8/10
that's DEEN for ya :3

now go watch Kai ^^
Aug 4, 2014 9:55 PM

Jan 2014
That was a wonderful climax.
Aug 9, 2014 5:04 PM

Aug 2013
The second season can't be any worse, can it?
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Sep 9, 2014 1:10 AM
Dec 2011
so its RIKAs doing... reruns the time until she gets what she wants... this time no one die but the truth about HINAMIZAWA the books got in to polices hands! so RIKA had to RERUN the time again this explain everything but RIKA! WHO IS SHE? OR WHAT IS SHE? :3
Sep 9, 2014 8:44 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
lakshika said:
so its RIKAs doing... reruns the time until she gets what she wants... this time no one die but the truth about HINAMIZAWA the books got in to polices hands! so RIKA had to RERUN the time again this explain everything but RIKA! WHO IS SHE? OR WHAT IS SHE? :3
well.. that's what Kai exists so you can find out :>
Sep 14, 2014 10:07 PM

Nov 2012
THAT was a fun episode to watch! I would never have predicted that Rena could get talked out of finishing that fight, seeing how this show has gone in previous arcs.. not over yet I guess, considering what Rika just said at the end of the episode (not enough to solve the mystery?).

I have to say that was a pretty enticing season on the whole.. I honestly thought I would be bored with this first part of the anime, especially with hearing things about the second season before I started Higurashi. But I've been pretty impressed at how much the show managed to keep me entertained by trying to unravel the mystery and enjoying the dramatic moments, and the SOL/friendship moments too xD

Well there were some admittedly very slow moments in the anime and/or cheesy humor I didn't really laugh at, but even these moments had a good bit of foreshadowing elements in them hmm

I gave the season 8/10..
Nov 2, 2014 11:12 PM

Nov 2013
Loved the use of the OST during that last fight scene with Rena and Keiichi. Gave me some serious goosebumps.

This arc wasn't as quite as good as the last one. The previous arc I would say was too fucking good for words...

Rena looked so beautiful with the moonlight casting down upon her pretty face. ♥

Thanks a lot Rika. You just mindfucked me hard...

Nice way to end the first season. Definitely will be getting to season 2 most likely tomorrow!

5/5 for the episode. 8/10 for season 1

Nov 11, 2014 5:41 PM

Dec 2012
Can't decide between 9 and 10 -.- This series was so, so good. But I'm not sure it quite deserves a 10 for some reason, particularly that end fight seemed out of place. Either way, very much looking forward to starting the second season.

Also, this was probably the first anime I've watched where (in an equivalent situation) I wasn't sure if Keiichi would actually reach the timer in time. Since this series has no problems with horrific endings, I was actually worried he might not make it. Gotta say though, I do hope the second season isn't filled with happy endings like this one.
Core1019Nov 11, 2014 5:46 PM
Jan 4, 2015 3:33 PM

Mar 2014
Pretty awesome season 1 even if there's so much left unopened. On to season 2!
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Mar 23, 2015 6:23 AM
Nov 2014
This anime is actually scary and living up the title of being a classic in the horror genre. ( unlike other anime I watched earlier )

On to the sequel :)
Apr 2, 2015 8:54 PM
Mar 2013
Ending was nice. Just a continuous loop.

I would have liked it better if the school still blew up at the end. It would have made the horror aspect of it better with a "you can't get away from oyashiro's curse" from rena and them boom.....they all die.

But I enjoyed it. 6/10 would oyashiro again.
Apr 12, 2015 12:51 PM

Jun 2013
I wanted to like the ending. But it just wasn't satisfying for me. I didn't feel the payoff like almost everyone in this thread, I'm actually kind of jealous. Oh well, the series still gets 7/10 from me. And hey, it's probably just me.
LeeTailorApr 12, 2015 12:54 PM
Apr 20, 2015 5:14 PM

Nov 2011
Well this was Psychological horror in it's most purest form if you ask me. Was that a confirmation at the end that the town was stuck in some sort of time loop, need to watch the remaining season ASAP.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 30, 2015 6:23 AM

Feb 2013
A great ending to an amazing series.

So what I got out of it is the towns stuck in some sort of time loop, and when one of the characters realizes their sins they escape from the loop. What causes the loop still remains unexplained though, we also never got an explanation to zombie Takano. I'm guessing this will all be explained in the second season though.

Also who is Rika? Is she actually the incarnation of Oyashiro? If so does her going through the loop as well mean Oyashiro actually isn't the one behind the curse? Or, did Oyashiro realize that even he (she?) had sins and would go through his own curse? The ending honestly left me with more questions then answers, but again I guess that's what season 2 is for.

My only complaint with this series is that I didn't find it scary at all, I don't really see where the horror is. But honestly I don't really care, the series was still so interesting and fun to watch that its a minor complaint at the most from me.

I wasn't really sure what id rate this at first, but after watching this excellent last episode I think it definitely deserves a 9/10.
May 9, 2015 11:31 AM
Apr 2015
To be honest, I didn't like this ending. I hoped for a great epic climax, not for a hug. It sort of solves some mysteries, and it is at the other hand a great set-up for Kai, but I still didn't like it. SO just move on to Kai then.
May 12, 2015 5:31 PM

Mar 2015
I liked the ending and the time loop. Definitely watching Kai now.
May 17, 2015 9:03 PM
Jul 2018
So I was somewhat right in my prediction. The town goes through a time loop limboish nightmare (beginning with our friend, Tomitake and Ooishi). And Rika is most likely cognizant of the limbo of the village. Now we must figure out in season 2 what exactly causes this time loop and what the solution will be.

What's up your sleeve, Rika?

Anyway, fantastic stuff here. This got a definite 10 on me. The animation was crumby, but that was the mere surface of it. I had heard rumors of its gruesome nature, but this is a suspense anime. The characters have such conviction and fury when they kill each other yet in the next episode, they're not the ones killing at all. It's a thriller that makes you want to seek the truth. Therefore, you continue to watch it until you get the answers -- when in fact, that's only the beginning!!

I suppose Rena had the parasite in her mind, but she was somehow able to eliminate it from taking over her thoughts and sparing Keiichi in the process. Great ending, great resolution. Kai should answer most of this, I imagine.
May 21, 2015 8:32 AM

Aug 2014
LPGeneratorx said:

Pretty much this. The animation just made me say wtf...I especially can't forget the times when they were riding on bicycles and cars driving by.

But overall I loved with series, and how it managed to answer questions for previous arc through future arc. I'm also curious as to what Ruki is going to do, from the looks of it she is probably the only one who may or may not be capable of stopping this (after all, she seems to be the one knowing what is going on)

Also the music appearing during the final confrontation between Keiichii and Rena...EPIC!

On to S2 we go!
Jun 22, 2015 3:09 PM

Feb 2015
Great mystery show. Definitely one of those shows that keeps you wanting more, be it a bloody massacre or solving a mystery. The ominous feeling which each arc's beginning was handled in a way that didn't rush the viewer into a mess. I really liked going through each character's breakdown.
Jun 29, 2015 3:16 AM

Apr 2015
Keiichi x Rena... Yep, good job... But I was expecting Rena to kill Keiichi with no doubts because this is Higurashi, oh well...

I'll start watching Kai now! >_<

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Jul 17, 2015 11:06 AM

Feb 2015
5/5, 10/10
Aug 10, 2015 12:39 PM

Oct 2014
I also expected everyone to die, so that was a nice change of pace to finally see everyone live in one of these endings. Though still, there seems to be quite the mystery here, especially with Rika. Good episode though, solid way to close the season. The whole hostage set up and ending fight were great.

7/10 for this overall. Went into it with pretty high expectations because of seeing it hyped up so much online and those weren't quite met, but it wasn't bad.
Aug 16, 2015 12:59 PM

Feb 2015
Meh, she chose the wrong time to come back to her senses, was really hoping the bomb would go off regardless or Rena taking off his head without blinking twice but oh well...

Nice anime though.
Sep 5, 2015 6:32 PM

Jun 2013
Sooo.... am I the only one who was thinking "Ewwwww noooo dude don't hug her! She's got maggots crawling out of her neck!!" XD
Sep 16, 2015 2:39 AM

Jul 2013
patient_senses said:
Wow. An unepected turn of events and just when I was starting to think I understood what was gong, time resets again. I thought that since none of the 5 died, that wouldn't happen. Maybe I was right in thinking that it more had to do with their happiness because Rena couldn't be happy since she was going to jail.

Or maybe its that whole taking responsibility for one's actions thing, but that doesn't make much sense either. I hope the next season answers my remaining questions.

Rena is definitely going to Jail. Thats why I didn't get why Keiichi was all like "Thats it! Youve realized your mistakes! Youre amazing!"

It kinda baffled me. "Thats it! After holding your school hostage with a cleaver and a bomb, and almost killing Mion with blunt force, youve realized your mistakes! You needed to trust your friends!"
EAT SH!T AND LIVE
Oct 12, 2015 3:31 PM

May 2015
Definitely changed my opinion of "this is a stupid anime with a bunch of different arcs and no actual plot."

However, the ending confused me. Does that mean time reset with another alternate outcome, or is it just another timeline or what? Either way it seems Rika is conscious of all timelines, or whatever they are.

The part that ticks me off about this series is the retcon. In the first view of the demon arch, Shion killed Keiichi when he was in his hospital bed. In the later view of the arch, it ends with her killing him in his yard.
SuranaOct 12, 2015 4:19 PM
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Oct 18, 2015 12:40 AM

Oct 2014
those maggots made me literally scream out loud, i have a phobia of them >.<

overall this series is a 10/10, it was craaazy!! i need to start kai right away 0.0
Nov 6, 2015 6:05 AM

Oct 2014
I knew it! It's like Steins;Gate and Rika has the "Reading Steiner" lol

The only thing I probably hate about this arc that it suddenly became like a slice-of-life (although literally you could say that, so) genre anime with all that trust and friendship stuff, I thought that it was not executed well coz I can't relate to the show's philosophy of trust and friendship.
resinweber said:

Rena is definitely going to Jail. Thats why I didn't get why Keiichi was all like "Thats it! Youve realized your mistakes! Youre amazing!"

It kinda baffled me. "Thats it! After holding your school hostage with a cleaver and a bomb, and almost killing Mion with blunt force, youve realized your mistakes! You needed to trust your friends!"

Anyway, I'm off to KAI!
"Having someone saying you're okay as you are and being needed by that person... It was nice to have someone like that..." — Taiga Aisaka
Nov 25, 2015 9:36 AM

Nov 2011
Wow that was great. The animation was leads much to be desired but overall the experience was so awesome. I love shows that make me go "WTF happened?" each episode.

I still have a lot of questions about this show that will hopefully be answered next season. 9/10
Feb 13, 2016 12:41 AM
Dec 2014
That fight scene felt far too out of place. There was no tension there at all, it was just silly. She had literally just taken children hostage and attempted to murder them all with fire and a bomb and the armed guards surrounding the place just casually stood there cheering and stuff while they "squared" off on the roof. I really dont nit- pick at stuff in any show that much because I know there is always something to scrutinize but that was just too ridiculous. everything else was great up until that point, however it still manages to be the worst episode of the series imo.
damn shame it had to end on that note
Apr 23, 2016 5:30 AM

Apr 2016
Great series! 9/10
Jun 1, 2016 1:53 AM

May 2016
Great show, I liked it! But, it was a bit confusing practically every character has died at least once or more. My guess is that they are parallel worlds, but I guess they might explain it in the next series. I hope.

9/10!

Jun 4, 2016 12:04 AM

Dec 2014
Well, I finished it. I have a big question about the final scene.

(Spoilers, Obviously)

Sep 3, 2016 3:02 PM
Nov 2010
KillthisAccount said:
Very interesting with the time resetting... it seems that Shion knew this because of her "I finished it in time" comment in the previous arc. I'm sure there are more times like this one but I can't remember them right off, hopefully next season will be great and answer some questions!!! Well off to watch S2!!!

Holy crap, I'd forgotten about that. Clearly there's someone/something besides Rika that understands that there's a time limit for whatever is going on.
Oct 25, 2016 8:31 PM

Aug 2016
FoundedEighths said:
Fuck you, Joel. Fuck. You.

what's wrong with you??
Nov 21, 2016 12:54 PM
Aug 2016
after this show i will stop being a lolicon
thats how scary this show is
Jan 5, 2017 10:18 AM

Sep 2016
very sugoi ending suprised manyof us this anime will always be remembered definitely 10/10
Facta Non Verba
Jan 24, 2017 8:31 PM

Mar 2014
Didn't expect this to actually deliver on being a good horror-thriller. Most of the main cast were poor but the freshness of each arc made up for it.

7/10
Feb 27, 2017 6:13 PM

Jun 2016
Still so many questions we don't have an answer for
Like:
- Who was behind Keichi at when he made his final call to Oishi at the end of arc 1?
- Who were the men in boiler suits driving a van that poped up a lot in the show?
- Who finally killed Keichi at the end of arc 2, when both Mion and Shion were dead?
- What was with the doppelgangers that were talked about a lot?
- Why was Takano constantly seen alive, 24+ hours after her death?
- Why couldn't Keichi prove that he killed Satako's uncle?
- Why was Rika already dead in arc 3?
- Why does Rika know so much?
- Why were Keichi's death wishes granted in arc 3?
- Why does someone die ever year, and another spirited away?
- Who is pulling of each years deaths on the festival night?
- Why is time repeating itself after every arc?

Hopefully they will all be answered in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Mar 9, 2017 7:50 PM

Feb 2016
Happy ending? Not on my watch! Real troll... I thought with Furude's remarks that finally this endless repetition of bloodshed and tragedy had finally ended.

I'm glad they were able to tie up all the arcs together with 'one reality groundhog day style', I prefer it that way as a series of standalone arcs filled with 'reincarnated characters' rather than separate stories all together but with the same token dopplegangers.
Cloud_IllusionsMar 9, 2017 7:55 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Mar 9, 2017 9:23 PM

Feb 2016
Mokir said:
Still so many questions we don't have an answer for
Like:
- Who was behind Keichi at when he made his final call to Oishi at the end of arc 1?
- Who were the men in boiler suits driving a van that poped up a lot in the show?
- Who finally killed Keichi at the end of arc 2, when both Mion and Shion were dead?
- What was with the doppelgangers that were talked about a lot?
- Why was Takano constantly seen alive, 24+ hours after her death?
- Why couldn't Keichi prove that he killed Satako's uncle?
- Why was Rika already dead in arc 3?
- Why does Rika know so much?
- Why were Keichi's death wishes granted in arc 3?
- Why does someone die ever year, and another spirited away?
- Who is pulling of each years deaths on the festival night?
- Why is time repeating itself after every arc?

Hopefully they will all be answered in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

I noticed that you are watching Higurashi no naku koro ni kai now? How does it compare to this one? You probably know more than me, but this is my opinion on your questions.

- No one was behind Keichi from what I recall at the phonebox. He had been drugged (OR FAILED TO BE DRUGGED) which causes him to claw out his throat. That's why Rika chose to kill herself (EITHER THE DRUG'S EFFECTS OR FAILING HER MISSION?). It's not apparently a drug so I think it has something to do with a formula that agitates the parasites into survival mode and killing the human or making the parasites living in the host no long viable.

- The men in boiler suits belong to the fanatic cult that want to revive Oyashiro sama as a god. I am confused about whether the Sonosaki head knew about this and whether she was against it or not (Mion said granny researched it and did not find an answer suggesting they are separate?)

- Shion didn't die? Shion probably threw Mion down the well, took her clothing and was sent to the same hospital. She then proceeded to presumably kill Keiichi but first driving nails into his fingers. Another arc, Shion falls from her balcony, assuming she doesn't die, it's still plausible that she is sent to hospital where Kei is recovering from the stab wound from last night and finishes the job.

- Not sure, you probably have a better idea. Something to do with overlapping realms.

- You probably have a better idea. Either an alien, doppleganger, or parasitic zombie is my guesses.

- He was going insane, he thought he killed the uncle, Satoko having to take care of her angry uncle is ultimate proof that he alone was losing it.

- Oyashiro cult realises Rika is a threat so took her out and "spirited away her body", waste not.

- She has an adult voice when she gets serious. She probably is the only one experiencing this over and over again.

- His death wishes were not being granted. He was going insane from the parasites. it's not sure whether he killed Rika or found her already killed and disembowelled from the fanatical cult.

- Someone is being killed every year because of the religious cult or it will be arranged if someone dies from the parasitic swamp parasites that outsiders have no immunity to. The ones that are being spirited away are likely again arranged by the cult (the last few arcs suggest ignorance from the family heads that this was happening). The victims are killed, disembowelled to bring back or create a stronger virus. The body is disposed of far into the mountains (lackeys were talking).

- Religious cult arranges it every year to legitimise Oyashiro sama

- No idea. Looking forward to the sequel!
Cloud_IllusionsMar 9, 2017 9:30 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Sep 8, 2017 6:32 AM

May 2015
I thought that this series will be better. The animation was horrible sometimes and the story get boring. Nothing spiecla to me. I'm not sure, if I try second season. Maybe after longer break.

Still, this anime has moments. 5 or 6/10 for sure.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 3, 2017 2:53 PM

Jun 2015
Ok this was interesting. Why did it get interesting in the last episode?
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

210 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.