Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Nov 5, 2011 8:26 PM

Aug 2011
nice ending, good show, kinda was expecting some choppy choppy but oh well :P 9/10!

off too kai!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2012 8:26 AM

Dec 2011
nice ending. A kiss would be better than a hug :p
but im still confused
Jan 15, 2012 5:06 PM

Dec 2009
Overall this anime was pretty intense and interesting, but it ended differently in contrast of what I was expecting. Also, I'm still confused about some of the things that happened earlier in the series that I was never able to ignore, like when Keiichi killed the girls in a supposedly alternate dimension. Well, it was a good anime anyway and I'm glad I watched it.
I'll definitely watch the second series.
Feb 1, 2012 4:52 AM

Oct 2011
one of the few truly great stories you wish could go on for ever - this show has everything: brutality, mystery, humor, love, insanity, sadness........i liked how the ending left everything still up in the air, as most great stories do - it was nice to see that love conquered all, but did it (probably not)? also this episode makes a great point about the nature of insanity, letting one feel empathy for rena-san even though she is bat-sh@t crazy - after all, the wall between the insane and sane is so very thin, and subjective, for what is normality/sanity? can't wait to watch kai!!!
Feb 2, 2012 1:54 PM

Apr 2008
So, 2nd arc, up to the 2nd last arc, all had some-what the same "story".
Those arcs shows the happening from several angles, from the different chrs.
I seriously hope that the 2nd season explains the entire mess of this series.
Who killed Rika, the time Satoko and keiichi found her at the shrine.
What makes the Sonozaki family to be such mentally disturbed that they torture their own family, never the less, the sister torturing the other, etc.

I guess Japanese people are scary to meet in a by-day-romantic-and-quiet-village-out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere... 0.O

Where are the people that dissapears off to. Hate a series for leaving you in the dark like this.

I want someone to discuss this show with! daim it
hyptocalusFeb 2, 2012 1:59 PM
Feb 2, 2012 3:17 PM
Dec 2007
hyptocalus said:
So, 2nd arc, up to the 2nd last arc, all had some-what the same "story".
Those arcs shows the happening from several angles, from the different chrs.
I seriously hope that the 2nd season explains the entire mess of this series.
Who killed Rika, the time Satoko and keiichi found her at the shrine.
What makes the Sonozaki family to be such mentally disturbed that they torture their own family, never the less, the sister torturing the other, etc.

I guess Japanese people are scary to meet in a by-day-romantic-and-quiet-village-out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere... 0.O

Where are the people that dissapears off to. Hate a series for leaving you in the dark like this.

I want someone to discuss this show with! daim it
No, every arc is a different series of events, even Watanagashi and Meakashi which "look identical" but aren't. The anime made a very critical mistake and showed Rika comitting suicide in Watanagashi-hen (second arc). in Watanagashi, Shion (posing as Mion) captures RIka when Rika went to her home to inject her with the medicine. Then she tortures her just like she tortured the village Chief and Satoko. You learn this at the very end of Watanagashi when Ooishi tells you Furude Rika had a syringe hidden in her clothes but it was broken (from the fall into the well obviously).

In Meakashi (4th Arc) Rika tries a different approach and almost managed to inject Shion but at the end realized she lost her opportunity. As such she decides to "escape" the dead-end world by comitting suicide. As such, she doesn't kill herself in the second arc as the anime mistakenly shows, she kills herself only in the 4th arc.

Anyway, the end of season 1 as well as the parts where Keiichi remembered Onikakushi (his murder of Rena and Mion) confirm pretty much there's a form of time loop or multiple timelines. Rika tells Keiichi "you remembered" and "no one can forgive you but I will forgive you for them" because only Rika truly remembers.

I think those are enough clues to guess how Kai goes.

Feb 19, 2012 4:15 PM
Sep 2011
SOOO.. BEAUTIFUL... ;_____;
Feb 29, 2012 11:30 PM

Jul 2011
I think that was an appropriate ending. Over all a Great story!
Looks like the plot is going to revolve a lot more around mii-chan now.

9/10
Mar 4, 2012 1:27 PM

Jan 2012
My mind has officially been fucked.

Way to use time loops to confuse everyone o_0 it was an amazing anime though. There are still a lot of mysteries though(e.g. we don't really know what the deal is with Oyashiro, partially thanks to the time loops...).

10/10
Lemme smang it girl.
Mar 18, 2012 2:03 AM

Nov 2011
It's funny, because this show has always excelled in having parts that are purely comedic or purely serious, which is a very good thing. That fight scene; however, was the one exception, it was too goofy for a serious scene and too serious for a funny scene; what a mood killer.

The hug and the reveal of the "key" was a nice twist though.
All in all, a fine series, but I expected more.
Apr 7, 2012 9:58 AM

Jun 2011
That was unexpected. For some reason, I hoped for a more gory ending.

Man, this anime is so unpredictable it's mind-boggling.
Apr 7, 2012 11:24 PM
Mar 2012
"I'll play with you. Come on, hatchet girl~"
Apr 27, 2012 3:02 PM

Jan 2012
I am real slow with this, I'm sorry, but so far what I understand was that is it true what Rena says about "aliens" controlling the town and was those maggots coming out of her really 'magical" maggots where only her could see or was it that Rena was in fact going crazy???

in every arch really means that it was a time loop? Rika her killing herself was because she want to wait for the time loop to happen again? Last question, the scene where Rika was killed by having her organs removed and Satako though Keiichi killed, who actually did it?

Will all these answers be revealed if I watch season 2? (damn its not in English dub, I have to read)

Please anime fans, help me out here!
Apr 27, 2012 3:09 PM

Nov 2011
One of the best horror thriller series I've watched period
May 7, 2012 9:26 AM
Jul 2011
Lol, what I just watched? The beatiful story, full of detective and horror, which ended as a cheap Hollywood-like thriller? Keiichi stopped the bomb timer one second before blast? Rena regrets all she did? All was just a trick of Rika?
The whole story was awesome, but I definetely hate this fucking stamped final.
8/10, in which the last episode -- 4/10, and all the previous in a whole -- 10/10. Maybe, my point of view will change after Kai.
Jun 4, 2012 10:20 PM

May 2010
Ok. I feel an absolute idiot for not really understanding this.

I get it's alternative worlds/or alternative timelines - the month of June just repeating over and over.

One thing I'm not 100% sure on - is Rika the center of it all then? She lives it through each time with all the different endings.

Also is she bad or good? Maybe we don't fully know yet.

I'm also still extremely confused about how much of each arc was true. *sighs* Looks like it's time for season 2.
Jun 5, 2012 1:06 PM
Apr 2012
Last five minutes of the show, I was horrified that Rena would whip out the cleaver and just finish someone off. Kept waiting for the bloodbath that never came, and I thought, "well, the reasoning is nothing I haven't seen before, but at least they've found peace, right?"

NOPE. Looped again.

So many questions, but I guess I have to wait for the answers. Lotsa theories, though.

Looking back on the series, it's frightening how many situations, conversations, little pieces of each timeline, repeat themselves.

Strong finale. Far from the most powerful episode (end of the 5th arc was O_O) but a good segue to Kai, which I'll be starting tonight (because, obviously, the only way to watch this show is in the dark, right? ^_^).
Jun 5, 2012 1:24 PM
Dec 2007
cwblackbeard said:
I am real slow with this, I'm sorry, but so far what I understand was that is it true what Rena says about "aliens" controlling the town and was those maggots coming out of her really 'magical" maggots where only her could see or was it that Rena was in fact going crazy???

in every arch really means that it was a time loop? Rika her killing herself was because she want to wait for the time loop to happen again? Last question, the scene where Rika was killed by having her organs removed and Satako though Keiichi killed, who actually did it?

Will all these answers be revealed if I watch season 2? (damn its not in English dub, I have to read)

Please anime fans, help me out here!
Rika only kills herself in one arc. In all the others she's killed by the mysterious men who remove her organs. That happens always (aside from two times in 100 years).

As for the maggots, they don't exist, that's a hallucination. And there's no Aliens, that was all a fantasy Takano came up with.

Jul 3, 2012 9:31 AM

Mar 2012
I didn't expect a happy end

Still many questions unanswered; what causing the looping, what/who causes all the killings, and most of the arc of Satoko remains still a mystery. So onwards to watching Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai.
Jul 11, 2012 9:01 AM

Aug 2009
So in the end we never figured if it was the aliens or the parasites. Darn! Well, off I go to watch season 2.
Jul 12, 2012 4:51 PM

Oct 2011
ridiculous ending ....nothing have been explained
please tell me ... what i have to watch now ?
Jul 16, 2012 6:10 AM

Feb 2012
Wow, i haven't expected this "happy end" to come, well, if we can call it an ending.

One of the best anime so far, still, so many unanswered's question and theory in my mind.
It's time to watch the 2nd season !
Jul 18, 2012 12:54 AM
Dec 2007
loub31 said:
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai has answers. It's not really completely the fault of the adaptation, although they skipped several things that are supposed to give you ideas. Either way, the original material only starts answering questions in the Minagoroshi arc which is the chapter after this one.

Although technically, there's two "answer" arcs already in the first season that provide some answers. The arc before this one tells you details about the relationship between the influential people in the city, and the Sonozaki family. It also tells you who the "evil Mion" actually was (which turns out to be Shion). The last arc confirms all the arcs are connected and that there's a loop. It also reveals why Rena was so prone to mood swings (previous mental conditions because of stress and family problems). There's an epilogue scene to this arc that they added at the start of the second season that is meant to tie into the Satoko arc and Police detective arc, where we get the idea the time loop has something to do with Rika's death and the destruction of the village and that Rika knows more than she lets on.

So yeah, I have to concede that the answers are not outright spelled out or confirmed but at this stage of the story it wasn't intended for you to have confirmation of the answers. The clues however are there, and there's plenty of things that are confirmed. 3 things especifically are things you HAVE to know by the end of this season: Rika has some way of knowing things from other loops, Hinamizawa is apparently doomed to get destroyed, and Rika's death is somehow related as she's murdered right before the village is wiped out by toxic gas.
Leon-GunJul 18, 2012 12:59 AM

Jul 18, 2012 4:03 PM

Oct 2011
Leon-Gun said:
loub31 said:
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai has answers. It's not really completely the fault of the adaptation, although they skipped several things that are supposed to give you ideas. Either way, the original material only starts answering questions in the Minagoroshi arc which is the chapter after this one.

Although technically, there's two "answer" arcs already in the first season that provide some answers. The arc before this one tells you details about the relationship between the influential people in the city, and the Sonozaki family. It also tells you who the "evil Mion" actually was (which turns out to be Shion). The last arc confirms all the arcs are connected and that there's a loop. It also reveals why Rena was so prone to mood swings (previous mental conditions because of stress and family problems). There's an epilogue scene to this arc that they added at the start of the second season that is meant to tie into the Satoko arc and Police detective arc, where we get the idea the time loop has something to do with Rika's death and the destruction of the village and that Rika knows more than she lets on.

So yeah, I have to concede that the answers are not outright spelled out or confirmed but at this stage of the story it wasn't intended for you to have confirmation of the answers. The clues however are there, and there's plenty of things that are confirmed. 3 things especifically are things you HAVE to know by the end of this season: Rika has some way of knowing things from other loops, Hinamizawa is apparently doomed to get destroyed, and Rika's death is somehow related as she's murdered right before the village is wiped out by toxic gas.

yes , you are right .. I have watched the first episode from the second season ... it was just awesome , it explains a lot of things
Jul 19, 2012 7:22 PM

Jun 2012
I've had some pretty large suspicions for quite a while now, but this episode definitely confirms them.

Rika knows whats happening, and a lot more that we don't know.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Jul 20, 2012 3:33 PM

May 2012
babykeiji said:
Something really bothers me alot in this episode! That maggots flowing from Rena's neck is just... ewww! I can't stand it at all! My hairs suddenly stood up! Hahaha!

Well, I'm gonna finish Nodame Cantabile first and then watch the latest of the anime I'm currently watching and airing, then start teh Kai.

Well, just a question.. At the end of this chapter, it looks like the time has reset, right? As far as I know, I think that the trigger will be Ooishi, and the first one that has been triggered was Keiichi and at teh end killing Mion and Rena. Then the 2nd is Rena, but fortunately she realized her wrongdoings at the EXACT timeplane and the same world. Now at the end, it is Rika-chama who has been triggered. W/c literally means that she would be the one affected and is going to do some wrong things, and must need to realize her wrong doings in order for her to be forgiven, right? How can she be forgiven by her own self since she is the Shrine God?! Arghh...

Not good for my mind to think so much! Hahaha!

Overall, a really good series. I've enjoyed alot watching it ALL ALONE! 10/10!

THIS THIS THIS! I mean, I just can't add anything.
Jul 20, 2012 10:59 PM

Jul 2012
i have officially been mind fkd by this series!
i am still confused about what ever happened to satoko's uncle when keiichi originally killed him.. this series just puts my mind all over the place! overall i give it a 8/10. felt like 1-10 was a slow and boring, but the episodes after def made me wonder and continue to see what was in line next
IanppinesJul 20, 2012 11:17 PM
Jul 21, 2012 5:12 AM
Dec 2007
Ianppines said:
i have officially been mind fkd by this series!
i am still confused about what ever happened to satoko's uncle when keiichi originally killed him.. this series just puts my mind all over the place! overall i give it a 8/10. felt like 1-10 was a slow and boring, but the episodes after def made me wonder and continue to see what was in line next
Well, I'll put it on spoilers in case you plan to read the Visual Novel but it actually is never adressed anymore so basically this is what happenned to Satoko's uncle:

Aug 2, 2012 7:00 PM

Mar 2012
Wow awesome 1st season. Next season here I come.
Aug 11, 2012 12:59 PM

Nov 2011
Sep 3, 2012 8:05 PM

Aug 2012
Sep 23, 2012 1:20 PM

Feb 2011
LOLOL Ending , the fight was just like those cheap games lol -_- Anyway confusing , but pretty good and enjoyable , 8/10 overall
Oct 1, 2012 8:34 PM

Feb 2012
Very good, I loved the ending. Rika is so intriguing, and why did these two die... I'll have to watch the 2nd season!

8/10 overall! :)
Oct 21, 2012 3:19 AM
Jul 2012
The show was entertaining, addicting and creepym BUT almost every new arc had a slow start and I personally felt the series was a bit too long. And not a big fan of the animation and the massive amount of plot holes and confusion (I KNOW "kai" is going to answer everything, but this is my opinion on the first season and what if higurashi failed and never got a second season ?)

I personally give this anime a 8/10
Oct 29, 2012 3:04 PM

Aug 2012
So there is some sweet friendz who are killing eachother becouse of a parasite that takes control over their mind and if u realise that what you are doing, u are curing urself? Oh wow pretty orginal solve of mysteries lmao.

Thriller never working at me but my pressure increased at begining and at the end, which was pretty nice.
Horror well i saw some opinions about this and i though it will freak me out, but... it doesnt lol.
Psychological YEAH this is good, we got some crazy characters and some freakingoutfaces which was awsome, past of some ppl wasnt that stupid.
Mystery well it was strange and it wasnt really realistic.

My fav characters are Shion and Mion

I guess I am not intrested in watching 2nd season at the moment.
JeycoppOct 29, 2012 3:09 PM
Oct 30, 2012 11:56 AM

Sep 2011
dzejkobz said:
So there is some sweet friendz who are killing eachother becouse of a parasite that takes control over their mind and if u realise that what you are doing, u are curing urself? Oh wow pretty orginal solve of mysteries lmao.

Thriller never working at me but my pressure increased at begining and at the end, which was pretty nice.
Horror well i saw some opinions about this and i though it will freak me out, but... it doesnt lol.
Psychological YEAH this is good, we got some crazy characters and some freakingoutfaces which was awsome, past of some ppl wasnt that stupid.
Mystery well it was strange and it wasnt really realistic.

My fav characters are Shion and Mion

I guess I am not intrested in watching 2nd season at the moment.

But the extreme thriller and mystery feeling is on Kai.

Nov 1, 2012 2:06 AM

Feb 2012
Finally managed to finish this~
Surprisingly, I found myself absorbed with the first few eps and marathoned it all the way :D

Sa-chan_ said:

Really? I was supposed to pause a bit and watch another series but with that, I might start it right away :D
Nov 1, 2012 3:22 AM

Aug 2009
HauntingShock said:
Finally managed to finish this~
Surprisingly, I found myself absorbed with the first few eps and marathoned it all the way :D

Sa-chan_ said:

Really? I was supposed to pause a bit and watch another series but with that, I might start it right away :D
I wouldnt call it extreme thriller but everything is answered and just for that you have to watch it now.
Nov 4, 2012 7:05 PM
Oct 2012
I love this anime - I was hooked on it from the start. I was completely confused, then thought that maybe the story was playing out from different perspectives. I picked up that it was showing the same events, but maybe it was showing from different characters' POVs to give the viewer more insight to the mystery and maybe piece it together.

Anyway, I want MORE. Imagine my disappointment when the next series is not in English :( I was ready to buy it, but, sadly, I don't know Japanese...or else I'd import.

Anyway, I'm glad I watched this - and I want more anime like it. Never experienced anything like this before - this is probably going to be my favorite anime ever.
Nov 18, 2012 12:32 AM

Oct 2008
A rather cliche ending to an anime that seems to try and break way from those norms with it's bizarre plot and twists. I'm curious as to what Rena's logic was for holding all her friends hostage. Was she really willing to kill them all to expose the truth? How could she justify doing that? Did she believe they were all in on it similar to Keichi's paranoia early on?

Overall a good anime, the ending was a bit weak but not terrible. It has some ups and downs throughout with a pretty strong finish that motivated me to watch the rest of it right away. Hopefully the second season will continue to entertain and elaborate a bit more on exactly what is happening.

8/10 for me, the second to last arc with Shion almost made me raise it to a 9 but once I got over it I nitpicked my way back to my original score.
Nov 18, 2012 2:34 AM

Oct 2012
So will the second season solve everything??
And as I saw the story starts again with nothing? Is this time resets..Really hoping to watch the second season..But I'll watch Berserk before that :P
-------Only God will judge me --------

iSignature
Nov 18, 2012 9:52 AM
Dec 2007
PANDEMlC said:
A rather cliche ending to an anime that seems to try and break way from those norms with it's bizarre plot and twists. I'm curious as to what Rena's logic was for holding all her friends hostage. Was she really willing to kill them all to expose the truth? How could she justify doing that? Did she believe they were all in on it similar to Keichi's paranoia early on?
Why yes, yes she was. Also, right before this, and never mentioned in the anime for god knows what reason, is the fact Rika tried to stick a syringe into Rena the night before, which is what led Rena to leave her secret base (because now someone she didn't trust knew where it was). Rika also went on to say a lot of creepy shit to Rena too while at it.

ripperhf said:
So will the second season solve everything??
And as I saw the story starts again with nothing? Is this time resets..Really hoping to watch the second season..But I'll watch Berserk before that :P
Time resets would imply none of the past worlds move on. I'd say it's alternate world hopping considering the old timeline moves on as well, it doesn't gets "replaced" or ceases to exist, like in say Steins;Gate.
Leon-GunNov 18, 2012 9:55 AM

Dec 7, 2012 10:20 AM
Apr 2012
Great ending! Just like how the arc started, with a battle royal!
I personally still believe in your alien theory, just saying Rena~Chan. Why else would the photographer scratch his own throat out or the blond lady be dead 24hr prior..

Anyways, it was great! Sure there where some "eh" parts, and I must say, i can't stand the animation... It bothers me so much how their eyes and eyebrows overlap...
But overall it kept me coming back for more and that a huge plus cuz I'm pretty busy!

Can't wait for season 2! Where they must fight off the huge parasite that's controlling this eternal June.
Dec 27, 2012 6:29 AM
Nov 2010
just finish this and was like -.-

hope season 2 explain more things
Hi
Jan 2, 2013 12:12 PM

Dec 2012
Nice ending. So now Rika is the one goes to the infamous "AC car" and the whole thing loops over again. Maybe it's Rika who is the main culprit behind the entire thing. Gotta watch the second season!
Feb 8, 2013 7:38 AM

Nov 2011
I LOVE RENA ~~ !! XD <3 ^^
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Feb 9, 2013 6:26 PM

May 2012
That feel when i just marathoned 7 episodes and am now going onto the next series and watching more, this shit is mad good.
Feb 24, 2013 3:58 AM

Sep 2012
Ay. Happy ending. What a series. I wonder how season 2 is?
Mar 20, 2013 12:55 PM

Apr 2011
A great series.At first I wasn't sure if I would like it with all the spoilers I knew and the crazyness it has but it turned out to be very good.

S2 now :D
Apr 1, 2013 10:13 AM

Feb 2013
That was a good ending. ^_^

Now onto the second season

The time loops reminds me of the Endless Eight
vhynzApr 1, 2013 10:17 AM

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

210 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.