Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 6, 2014 3:07 PM

Jul 2014
Well i don't really mind the artwork to a certain extent, that is until the artwork becomes such a distraction that it stops me from enjoying the story- which happened to me when reading skip beat

Jul 7, 2014 4:06 AM

Dec 2012
A unique art-style can easily cover up for a run-on-the-mill or even weak plot (within reasonable margins), but it will nevertheless still be inferior to a manga with a great plot and a more standard or even bad artwork.
Jul 10, 2014 11:50 AM

Jun 2014
Story is always the most important but better art can make it more enjoyable the only time the art doesn't matter if it's a r-18 manga
"Round and round, let's spin"
Jul 12, 2014 4:53 AM

Apr 2014
In my opinion, good story is more important than good art however that doesnt mean that good art doesnt matter. It still matters, the art must at least be decent enough so basically, in the end, both are equally as important as each other since both is needed to make up manga. Without the art, it is just plain words, without the words, it is just art. So they both need each other to make a good manga :)
Jul 13, 2014 3:05 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Definitely story > art. But, first impressions are a thing and art can put me off when I know nothing about the story (and the description doesn't tell me much).

I distinctly remember, years ago, when I had first encountered Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro in mangatraders as the choice of the week and I thought to myself "Like I'd ever read that, heck no", because the art was kind of weird/bad. But some months later, I decided to give it a try for some reason and I was immersed. Since then, it had become one of my favorite manga xD

So no, I don't care about art much. It can definitely make the experience even better (as long it fits), but it's easy getting into the story and adjusting to what you see.
Jul 13, 2014 3:11 AM

Feb 2012
If the art is not appealing, I will not read it.

Jul 13, 2014 3:17 AM

Jun 2013
Umineko's art isn't actually bad once you get used to it, sort of.
Jul 13, 2014 10:13 AM

Mar 2014
starting to read a manga with mediocre art is very hard for me, the most manga I read are series whose anime I finished first so I was used to the style. because then I already know how good or bad the story is compared to the art.

Hunter x Hunter - mostly meh art (since the last hiatus ended it is gorgeous art sometimes) but such a brilliant story telling.

Bleach - unique fine art (except for some battle scenes where you can't decipher anything.) but the story, especially lately is just..

Ah, and don't forget about Fairy Tail, haha.

But overall a good story is way moe fundamental to enjoy the series.
Jul 14, 2014 1:24 AM

Oct 2013
I think I should be drawn in by the art and stay for the story. That's a hook
Jul 14, 2014 1:31 AM

Aug 2012
I'd rather have a good story and have at least decent art. But mostly story.
Jul 14, 2014 2:06 AM
Jul 2014
Story over art any day. I can forgive a manga to have subpar artwork if the story still manages to draw me in. The other way around is impossible for me. If the story doesn't appeal to me I drop it. For instance Liar Game has awful art but it's still one of my favourite manga as the story is brilliant.
Jul 14, 2014 7:03 AM
Jun 2014
I can tolerate an art that's about 4/10 but nothing lower. OMK has been on my mental plan-to-read list for ages, but the art, I thought, was really bad and I couldn't get into it because of that. :/
Jul 14, 2014 4:26 PM

Jan 2013
Both are important . Some people just read the manga by its art , some people for its plot.
Jul 14, 2014 7:15 PM

Dec 2013
They have to be balanced. Good art and a crappy story would mean that I would drop it, whereas horrible art and a great story would mean that I wouldn't even start reading it.
Jul 17, 2014 2:31 AM

Oct 2013
Anon1409 said:
They have to be balanced. Good art and a crappy story would mean that I would drop it, whereas horrible art and a great story would mean that I wouldn't even start reading it.

+1
Jul 22, 2014 12:25 PM

Jul 2014
Anon1409 said:

Yep, pretty much this - it's a matter of balance between art and story. Also, I think, the thresholds are different for each person.

But now that I think about it, I can't remember a series with bad art that I've completed. I couldn't read Shingeki no Kyojin in manga form, and the original Onepunchman was too much for me.
Jul 22, 2014 7:09 PM

Oct 2013
Good art gets the fly-by-night manga fan or the american audience interested and therefore drives more sales more quickly. Manga with good stories but poor art will eventually gets its due, but probably never quite the sales. So, we all agree story is "just as important" but skilled art makes the dough.
- Settled!
Anime - there's never enough time..
Jul 22, 2014 7:11 PM

Oct 2013
Story is WAY more important. Not a debate

I can name tons of shit anime with great art (Guilty Crown, SAO, etc.), but I can't name a single shit show with bad art if it has a good story (because by very definition, if it has a good story, it is good).
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
Jul 23, 2014 12:36 AM

Sep 2011
I can want to watch or read something for the art but ultimately if the story sucks, I won't be sticking around (as wouldn't most people). And it's not like I'd drop a manga for bad art unless it was so bad it interfered with my enjoyment of the story somehow.
Jul 24, 2014 10:24 PM

Apr 2011
We know something called a standard of tolerance. Form 'very bad, I can't look at it' until 'very good, I don't care about the story'. Between them, is 'normal' will drop or not drop based on various factors.
Sep 10, 2014 3:38 AM

Apr 2012
Definitely not. It's a vital part of manga (obviously), but I can still enjoy manga with bad art. Manga with a bad story, however, I typically can't read.
Sep 10, 2014 8:52 PM

Oct 2013
Story usually does mean everything. But uneffective art for emotional scenes can be very distracting. Also, good art would probably sell better since it's so eye appealing. Just look at Nisekoi, the art's great, but the story is mediocre.
I'd go with emobubbles, but someone else already had it, damn bastard.
Sep 10, 2014 9:22 PM
Mar 2013
I think story and characters are more important.
But if the art is good it´s a great bonus point
Yare Yare Daze
Sep 10, 2014 9:36 PM

Jul 2012
Aug 5, 2019 6:00 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
A balance of both good art and good story are important, but... good art will not save your series if it has a bad story.
...I'm sorry, but I'm looking at you, Kamichama Karin.
Aug 6, 2019 11:57 PM

Jan 2014
I think having a strong plot is the more important. but, that being said when given the choice between reading one's original "One Punch Man" and the redrawn version i do admit i would probably be more interested in reading murata's one
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Aug 7, 2019 12:36 PM

May 2019
I wouldn't say art is more important, but art still is a pretty important factor.
Aug 7, 2019 1:24 PM

May 2014
When it comes to manga it's a lot harder for me to get invested if i'm not into the artwork. An anime can look awful, but since it has the benefit of animation, sound, music etc, it's not as important for it to look appealing. I'm just more of an anime person, though i do really really love my fave manga. It's just a lot rarer for me to click with a manga series in comparison to anime.
Aug 7, 2019 1:47 PM

Apr 2013
I prefer story, but good art certainly raises my opinion of the show/media even more.
Aug 7, 2019 3:45 PM
Dec 2017
In my opinion, good story is more important than good art... But, in some cases, the art might not be very appealing so it becomes harder to read. It shouldn't be too hard to ignore the art though if you really like the story. For example, I love Dear Boy but I thought the art was kinda...ugly. But it grew on me and, as I read it, I began to think that the art was actually interesting.

There was this other manga with an art style that bothered me and the story was boring... Because of this, I dropped it. Not only did I not care about what happened, I also couldn't enjoy the art. So, good or bad art can either help or hurt a manga (or manhwa/manhua) but this also depends on other things.
Sakurai_AoiAug 7, 2019 3:48 PM
Aug 7, 2019 8:46 PM
Jul 2018
story is more important then art. However either can destroy the other. Also even good art that is mismatched can create issues. I can tell you now I have read stories that I was drawn into and yet I couldn't tell you if the art was in black and white or color because the story caught me. As long as the art is not so bad to act as a distraction it will be story first for me.

You may be missing a point on the two stories. Similar story doesn't mean the characters themselves will all match and have the same effect. Think of baseball teams.
Aug 7, 2019 10:27 PM
Jul 2018
Story will always be more important.
Aug 7, 2019 10:53 PM

Mar 2018
Why not both? No one's gonna watch/read a mind-blowing story if all characters are just literal potatoes. For example, I agree AoT has a very good story but it's never my favorite because of its art, especially manga. You can't even tell who is who. So at least a seemingly good art is still necessary for advertising and eye-catching. Everything starts from there. Story comes later.

On the other hand, SoL shows heavily rely on characters since they don't have story so characters are pretty important too. At least in anime. So I'd say Art > Characters > Story. With very minimal amount of importance between each.

Aug 8, 2019 6:08 PM
Aug 2008
I think that art and story are both very important, but different reasons. I think art comes first, then story. If a manga that I'm reading has good art but a meh story, I may not necessarily finish it all the way through, but I'm more likely to read more volumes than if it was simply carried by its story.

I guess it depends on what you consider to be bad art. I thought Baslisk had bad art because the mangaka used stock images for the background and didn't even bother to to do it himself for the most part. I'd rather he just leave the backgrounds blank then create that distraction. I tend to avoid reading manga/comics the use this technique and have dropped so many comics due to this. If you're going to do it, at least make the backgrounds match the art style of everything else.

But saying that, Hiromu Arakawa used screentones for shirt patterns in FMA and I loved that, so I may not be the best judge of things. At least there she made it look natural and made it fit with her art.

Because, this is what it really when it boils down to for me: since it's a largely visual medium, if it annoys the hell out of me to look at it then I'm not going to read it, regardless how good it story is. It can have bad art and still be relatively appealing to look at and very fun to read, while others can be a drag to read for this very reason. If it has a bad story, the artwork may not be able to completely save it but I may read more of it than I would if had crappy art.
Aug 9, 2019 8:58 AM

Sep 2018
The quality of something can't be judged by its looks.....pretty fucking cliche i know but its true at least for fiction.

I think the most important part by far are the Characters, following with the usel shit like Story etc (not for everything but for at least 90% of the usual stuff i am watching)..Art is not that important, the quality of the drawing is far less important then the for example simbolism in it.
-Mullerio-Aug 9, 2019 9:02 AM
Aug 9, 2019 9:33 AM
Jul 2018
Not really, story is always more important, but it's always nice when the art complements the themes or atmosphere of the manga(Kokou no Hito, Otoyomegatari, Aria, etc are such examples). Doesn't necessarily mean that it should have "great" art, for example manga like "Not Simple" just has the appropriate, simple artwork required for such a story.
Aug 9, 2019 10:46 AM
May 2019
For me story is more important then art and characters are more important then story.
Aug 9, 2019 10:48 AM

Jun 2014
I would say that story is more important than art overall.

However, if the art style is truly horrendous, I'll likely avoid that Manga, even if it has a great story. I refuse to read/watch "Doukyuusei" because of this.

Aug 9, 2019 2:58 PM

Dec 2017
Yes! Good art is more important than a good story for me
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
5 minutes ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
14 minutes ago

» I need help finding a manga that I have forgotten

codelyok13 - Yesterday

1 by codelyok13 »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1044 by codelyok13 »»
5 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.