Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2009 8:08 PM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The end

A very good ending, a lot of good character growth, and Harlock and Miime go on into space. I can't wait to watch more Harlock.
My anime list
May 27, 2011 6:16 AM

Dec 2009
epic ending.
Captain Harlock lives on.... a legend!
Aug 14, 2011 4:23 PM

Apr 2009
If this series even tried to stay coherent and tell a focused story we could be talking about a timeless masterpiece, but even as it stands it was still a good series and Harlock a captivating hero, can't wait to see more of him.
Oct 7, 2012 1:21 PM

Jan 2012
Very nice closure. Although it's not on the masterpiece level I still loved it
Feb 13, 2013 3:54 AM

Jan 2012
Love it!
Aug 26, 2013 5:49 AM

Jun 2013
Quite a milestone in anime this one was and by being so fantastic the ending was paramount. In this last episode they delivered.
WhitemanhattanOct 7, 2013 10:20 PM
--TrustOnly1
Jul 27, 2015 3:41 PM

Jul 2010
Such bittersweet ending and the outro music...loved it.
Sep 23, 2015 5:21 PM

Nov 2012
Very strong ending with some some great character growth.
Dec 9, 2015 3:58 PM

May 2012
A superb (open) ending I must say! Really loved this whole ride and even though I would've loved to see more different interactions than only the focus on the Masones it was still a very lovely story, with intense action, great development and a good portion of drama!

So all in all another amazing anime by Leiji and I'm looking forward to see what the sequels and sidestories will have to offer!
Feb 23, 2017 3:05 PM

Aug 2016
Poor Mazone, well at least Rafflesia survived.

Didn't like this series aside for some episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2020 6:15 PM

Mar 2008
It was a "good" series in the end, but I can't see all other other than a story from the point of view of the villain, Harlock.
The anime tried but failed miserably to show us Lafresia as a cold hearth cruel being... Every time Lafresia and Harlock discussed she came as very reasonable and with reason, while Harlock as stubborn and irrational. How can anyone agree with Harlock?

In the end half of the Earth was destroyed and this happened as retaliation against Harlock's actions.
Millions of humans must have died (and pay attention that if the Mazone really wanted they could had killed all humans long ago).
Almost a million Mazone died (some 90% of them?).
Tens or hundreds of millions of other species died in the conflict (no matter how much Harlock blame this on the Mazone, he knew very all that most of their ships was transporting civilians and refused to let them arrive and live on Earth).
Tens or hundreds of millions more will die wandering space.

And for what?
Just for Mayu, who didn't even wanted that much to live on Earth? That only a family?
Harlock loves to talk about freedom, but refused her freedom to choose.

Yes, the Mazone aren't innocent, but thing about this, wasn't their reputation build over a long time? What if Lafresia thinks differently, and as a Ruler have no choice now that she inherited an aggressive empire? But I imagine that losing their home system inflicted them some trauma... In the end she only wanted to "return to their other home" to live in peace, and giver a decent life to all those other species under their guard in need of a place to live.
Meanwhile the humans were living a "wasted" life (the exceptions are rare and don't matter much here, even the exceptions weren't doing much to change things). They had technology enough to use the other plants of the solar system to produce food and other things they needed to live and that's it. They didn't cared about Earth, they weren't doing anything to improve nature. And even after all the destruction that failed system was kept in place. The Mazone for everything that the series showed us would probably get that and just assume the control, the humans wouldn't even notice much difference, just lest wasted work on useless things.
And all this after Harlock repeatedly saying that she didn't cared if the humans died and Earth was destroyed, he was just fixated on the idea of honoring his friend dying wish...

Now I understand why everything that care after was progressively more garbage.

Makes me super mad to think that Harlock may have spared Lafresia because he thought she was "human" because of her red blood.
I don't like these "Ancient Architects" ideas, but think about this for a second. Wouldn't this make the Mazone more deserving humans just like Harlock humans on Earth were, fighting and striving to live? Despite this he denied their home...

EDIT: here are all the "pans" that I managed to make while watching the series: https://imgur.com/gallery/DsZeStC

Example:

PaninaManinaJan 24, 2020 6:40 PM
Feb 2, 2020 12:39 PM
Oct 2019
PaninaManina said:

EDIT: here are all the "pans" that I managed to make while watching the series: https://imgur.com/gallery/DsZeStC

Yep, that episode about Key Yuki past was one of the highlights of the show for me.

From the beginning of the series I liked interesting character designs, gorgeous music,
stories about main characters in dedicated episodes,
dystopian atmosphere of decaying Earth,
true manhood, honour and comraderie spirit on Arcadia board.

But in the end the series was spoiled for me by unrealistic combat encounters(with many deus ex machina devices and 1vs100 invincibility of the crew)
and irreparably ruined by incohorent logic of the scenario and weird moral choices of protagonists.
phinistFeb 2, 2020 12:47 PM
Aug 10, 2021 10:14 AM

Jul 2013
"Why was the great Mazone force so easily defeated?"

Because damn script said so.

I can't really find myself hating this show even though it's really poorly written. Nothing makes really sense and the arcadia is just ridiculously OP.

But there's some nice scenes here and there and the soundtrack was good.
Dec 30, 2021 10:54 PM

Feb 2012
A satisfying conclusion to a journey that tried a bit too hard to be epic. Espcially the whole "one ship against an entire fleet" thing got old quickly, since the only way they could make it happen was by having Arcadia and its crew repeatedly perform feats that were too incredible.

Overall I found some of the subplots more interesting than the main one. I've complained about the unbelievable character motivations, not least of which was Harlock's obsession with Mayu and everyone's willingness to die for no particular benefit to their group. Rescuing Mayu subplot was thus a bit weak, but we did get many good episodes exploring the pasts of the Arcadia crew.

I found the animation visually creative, especially for its time. While the animation can't be as detailed as newer titles, there were many interesting sights, unusual gadgets never commented on, camera angles, light effects etc. Leijiverse has always features that are scientifically impossible, but if you can accept that, those things add to the sense of lighthearted fantasy. This world building was the main attraction of the series that made it enjoyable even while the plot didn't draw me in.
Sep 4, 2022 8:43 AM

Apr 2019
I liked it. There were a lot of animations errors and "plotholes" but that kinda stuff pales in comparison to the quality of the series as whole.
Nov 15, 2022 4:46 AM
Ninja Consultant

Mar 2022
Pretty epic ending to a very epic anime. When it comes to 70s anime it doesn't get much better than Leiji's masterpieces.

I was just wondering....what happened to the Analyzer-like robot who was on board of the Arcadia during the earlier episodes in the series? He kinda seemed to disappear into nowhere after the first 15 episodes or so.
Beep boop
Mar 2, 2023 6:34 PM

Jun 2014
That stupid Prime Minister still thinks that he has power, lol. People like him were half the reason for Earth's corruption in the first place.

The Mazone presence on Earth has been eradicated, and the remaining population have to rebuild, but things should be better for a while. The Queen wishes Harlock well, even though he was her enemy.

Harlock, Miime and Tochirou's soul are travelling space alone from here on out, with the remaining crew remaining on Earth. Are Daiba and Kei ever going to get together, I wonder?

This was a great series. I wish that I had watched it earlier. I may not be big into masculinity, but at least Harlock shows that even men can cry, which was progressive in its time, when you stop and think about it.

R.I.P, Matsumoto-san. Thanks for the great works you've left us with.

Sep 1, 2023 2:37 AM

Jul 2022
The ending was a little bit weird.
When Harlock tells he's crew mates to go back to Earth and make there dreams/history there. (especially when u know there's more 'seasons' after this.)

Overall I enjoyed it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Space Pirate Captain Harlock Episode 20 Discussion

Dunky - Apr 2, 2011

5 by CrysisWarXX3 »»
Mar 5, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Space Pirate Captain Harlock Episode 16 Discussion

NeverKnowsBest26 - Aug 27, 2012

12 by CrysisWarXX3 »»
Mar 2, 11:53 PM

Poll: » Space Pirate Captain Harlock Episode 3 Discussion

mitamaking - Jan 28, 2009

12 by FedeMetal »»
Feb 28, 9:29 AM

Poll: » Space Pirate Captain Harlock Episode 1 Discussion

mitamaking - Jan 21, 2009

24 by FedeMetal »»
Feb 27, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kaizoku Captain Harlock Episode 36 Discussion

gohdan - Jul 31, 2013

4 by shadovv_gb »»
Nov 3, 2023 10:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.